ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching changes

Longagoplayer

In the weight room getting big
Jun 16, 2021
After a few weeks of the new season I was curious what fans of the teams that have new coaches think. Do the teams seem better, worse or indifferent. @84rider do you think Strickland coming in after Candy has made any difference. @Huskerman7 you seem to have a pulse on a lot of teams, anything you have noticed.

Coach Carre as the new coach at DMA seems to going positively so far. Mostly I have noticed that this past week the penalties were way down. I think they had 4 or 5 the whole game which is good for them. So maybe creating a more disciplined culture. I also feel that he doesn't let the kids get away with as much and he holds more accountability. The play calling seems a bit simple which for a high school is not a bad thing but may sometimes be a bit conservative and it couldn't hurt to be a bit more of a risk taker. Overall I think it is a good hire and as long as the students buy in fully I think it could be a positive for DMA over the next couple years.

The Sals are definitely improved. They were young last year but definitely coaching changes helped. Both O&D lines playing better and now they finally have added the quarterback as a running threat.

Sallies would still be 3-0 if BDN were still there, and since they were able to get a great player "back" to Sallies they really should be okay against the rest of D3 regardless of who's at the helm. Better question is what program's coaches are already on the hot seat after 3 games.

Appear to be upgrades (still very early)
DMA - Matt Carre
FSMA - Jeffrey Braxton
Caesar Rodney - Shaun Strickland

All others, too soon to make any determination.

I think you also need to reflect on their bloodlines.
Braxton was coached by George Glenn; Carrie by Dan Ritter; Strickland by Coveleski?

CR looks a little better but 0-3 is 0-3. Losses to Lake and Laurel. The schedule only gets tougher.

Carre has always done a good job

No clue on FSMA. Still building a program which is tough.

I like what Delle Donne has done at Sallies (yeah I know they have talent) but I see a better use of that talent under the current staff especially on defense.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
I may be a little biased because my son plays on FSMA but I have seen tremendous improved since last year, they are more disciplined, and each week they grow more confident. Theyre also a young team, only 6 seniors I believe but he has the kids believing they can win which has made for some fun games to watch.

If you live in the Dover Camden area you go to Dover if you play Football or Basketball and you go to CR to wrestle,play lacrosse, soccer or golf. The kids like Coach Strickland but that doesn’t always translate to the field. I don’t see CR getting back to being a football championship caliber team for some time. That being said I don’t believe this a Coach issue, it’s a quality of player issue imo.

Does Poly affect Dover or CR more with regard to athletes? Poly has decent athletics and the votech option does come into play.

Does Poly affect Dover or CR more with regard to athletes? Poly has decent athletics and the votech option does come into play.
I have never really seen that. Maybe a couple kids but I wouldn't say that there is enough that it would make an actual difference

Maybe like 2015 Poly loaded up on basketball players…had a great basketball team …and made it to the state finals…only to get Donte’d. Football? Not from my perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT