ADVERTISEMENT

D-HIGH, 4th Straight Victory, Looking to Upset Cape

local-roundup-dover-cape-boys-win-big-rider-girls-triumph-smyrnma-wrestlers-top-sallies

Please explain to me... How you think Dover can upset Cape.. After Cape beat them by 20 at Dover... I got to hear this one...

Simple:
1. Coaching: If coach Wilson turns his guards loose and allow them to run, those three 2020 guards of Dover will have a break out game. They all scored in double figures during the first matchup without being given opportunities to run. Last year, when the coach gave Eden Davis the green light, as a freshman, he put up 36 against almost the same squad, knocking down a plethora of 3's, and quick transition baskets. Dover lost that game in a controversial last second tap in by Cape.
2. Defense: Do not allow Robertson to get open shots-especially 3pts. The first matchup they let him have a field day of open looks and never fixed the problem. Robertson had 27pts on Dover. They usually play Rickards and Dadzie well. Davis also got into early foul trouble and fouled out that first game too I believe.
3. Pressure: In the last 4 games, Dover has applied full court pressure almost the entire time game - putting fresh legs in as needed, and they have gotten great results. Those guards are scrappy and fast.
4. Play Small ball: Although Cape has the twin towers in Rickards and Robertson, they don't really play the traditional big man style of game. They shoot a lot from the outside. So, Dover, since they really do not have legitimate bigs who goes to the rack when the guards penetrate and dish, Dover should just start small and run, not allowing Cape's defense to set up. I say start Davis, Allen, Peace, Magee who's 6-4, and that kid Thomas or Colon-Silva (who's been playing big off the bench lately)
5. Lazy Ball: Oftentimes, teams who have been winning consecutively and who dominated the first outing against a team tend to play lackadaisical basketball during the second matchup. Not to mention, because of their tough final schedule, they may overlook Dover, allowing Dover to get an upset.

Simple:
1. Coaching: If coach Wilson turns his guards loose and allow them to run, those three 2020 guards of Dover will have a break out game. They all scored in double figures during the first matchup without being given opportunities to run. Last year, when the coach gave Eden Davis the green light, as a freshman, he put up 36 against almost the same squad, knocking down a plethora of 3's, and quick transition baskets. Dover lost that game in a controversial last second tap in by Cape.
2. Defense: Do not allow Robertson to get open shots-especially 3pts. The first matchup they let him have a field day of open looks and never fixed the problem. Robertson had 27pts on Dover. They usually play Rickards and Dadzie well. Davis also got into early foul trouble and fouled out that first game too I believe.
3. Pressure: In the last 4 games, Dover has applied full court pressure almost the entire time game - putting fresh legs in as needed, and they have gotten great results. Those guards are scrappy and fast.
4. Play Small ball: Although Cape has the twin towers in Rickards and Robertson, they don't really play the traditional big man style of game. They shoot a lot from the outside. So, Dover, since they really do not have legitimate bigs who goes to the rack when the guards penetrate and dish, Dover should just start small and run, not allowing Cape's defense to set up. I say start Davis, Allen, Peace, Magee who's 6-4, and that kid Thomas or Colon-Silva (who's been playing big off the bench lately)
5. Lazy Ball: Oftentimes, teams who have been winning consecutively and who dominated the first outing against a team tend to play lackadaisical basketball during the second matchup. Not to mention, because of their tough final schedule, they may overlook Dover, allowing Dover to get an upset.
That tap was last year.. This a new year.. Iam be honest... I like Peace and Davis... But after that .. Dover has nothing. . Dover have to have alot of things go there way to beat Cape..

Yes, that was last year, and this is a new year. Believe me, I'm not saying that they will beat Cape, I'm merely suggesting that these are the things that need to happen in order for them to see a victory. But what I can guarantee is that Dover will not lay down in this next matchup against Cape.
Dover is hungry right now and thinks they still have an opportunity to get into the tournament. So, don't be surprised at the outcome. In the past few games, Vonnie Peace posted 19, Eden Davis posted 27, and Elijah Allen posted 28. These young guards are about to ball out the next few games, starting with Cape.

Yes, that was last year, and this is a new year. Believe me, I'm not saying that they will beat Cape, I'm merely suggesting that these are the things that need to happen in order for them to see a victory. But what I can guarantee is that Dover will not lay down in this next matchup against Cape.
Dover is hungry right now and thinks they still have an opportunity to get into the tournament. So, don't be surprised at the outcome. In the past few games, Vonnie Peace posted 19, Eden Davis posted 27, and Elijah Allen posted 28. These young guards are about to ball out the next few games, starting with Cape.
Lol.... Well make sure you be there then. Dunk show part 2... See you there. Lol. Another wasted trip. Lol

I like Dover & they will get in the tournament but let’s be honest...this 4-game winning streak is against Brandywine, Sussex Central, Middletown & Polytech. Cape is not any of those teams & Dover will have their hands full especially after seeing Robertson & Rickards do whatever they wanted to Dover in that first meeting.

True, that first meeting was a defensive disaster. Robertson was left open the entire game! The entire game without Dover fixing the problem. Dover never pressured them either.
So, with Dover having a week off from any Basketball games, I believe they will have fresh legs against Cape and be able to apply pressure defensively.
I think they will catch Cape sleeping, and the game will come down to the very end.

Dover can be competitive but just lack the size to compete with Cape. Love Vonnie Peace as a player, great kid, great defensive attitude but his 5'9 body on Randy whose atleast 6'3 if not taller isn't a good match up. shot over him all game

Reactions: _TK44
Dover cant beat Cape... Smh... This shouldnt even be a topic. ...Too little... Nothing to talk about...

Dover can be competitive but just lack the size to compete with Cape. Love Vonnie Peace as a player, great kid, great defensive attitude but his 5'9 body on Randy whose atleast 6'3 if not taller isn't a good match up. shot over him all game
This is why I would put the 6’3” - 6’4” Jordan Magee on Randy. He is now healthy enough to play significant minutes and make a difference. He has speed power and athleticism.

Last edited:
Dover hung tough but came up just a little short...sounds like they fought til the end though. Can’t wait to see who they’re matched up against in the first round of the playoffs.

Was Cape’s #2 Johnson matched up on Davis tonight?

Last edited:
Reactions: DDBasketballCoach
Peace 12 pts., Allen 12 pts., Davis 4 pts. - they are good, but let's pump the brakes when talking about prime time. NEXT year, Dover will be a threat.

Peace 12 pts., Allen 12 pts., Davis 4 pts. - they are good, but let's pump the brakes when talking about prime time. NEXT year, Dover will be a threat.

Because of one under the weather game??? I guess you missed coach pulling him out various times to get fluids in a game he probably shouldn’t have played in... One game??? A game you predicted would be a blowout. Get real.

Get Real Dad - take off those Dover Blue sunglasses. The record is 8 wins and 10 losses. They are not one of the favorites and won't make it to UD for the quarters. NEXT year will be there time. If your kid is that good, he will get a number of college looks Next year. 2 losses to Smyrna + 2 losses to Cape + 2 losses to CR says Dover isn't ready. Eden is a good player but he isn't Mikey Dixon, yet!!!

Reactions: jvm3
Get Real Dad - take off those Dover Blue sunglasses. The record is 8 wins and 10 losses. They are not one of the favorites and won't make it to UD for the quarters. NEXT year will be there time. If your kid is that good, he will get a number of college looks Next year. 2 losses to Smyrna + 2 losses to Cape + 2 losses to CR says Dover isn't ready. Eden is a good player but he isn't Mikey Dixon, yet!!!

Sir, you said pump the brakes on prime time over one low scoring game! That's pretty ridiculous don't you think? Should we pump the brakes on Randy Rickards too??? He scored low too. Why aren't we pumping the brakes there? Why just Davis? #18 Dover almost defeated #2 Cape - a game that you guys predicted would be a blowout was almost what I predicted a near "upset." Why you are hating on my sick son is beyond me. I still wouldn't count them out just yet. If they get in the tournament, you might be surprised as most were tonight.

Reactions: theWILL2WIN
Because of one under the weather game??? I guess you missed coach pulling him out various times to get fluids in a game he probably shouldn’t have played in... One game??? A game you predicted would be a blowout. Get real.
Lost is a lost... You dont get no credit for coming close.. Please...

Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
Sir, you said pump the brakes on prime time over one low scoring game! That's pretty ridiculous don't you think? Should we pump the brakes on Randy Rickards too??? He scored low too. Why aren't we pumping the brakes there? Why just Davis? #18 Dover almost defeated #2 Cape - a game that you guys predicted would be a blowout was almost what I predicted a near "upset." Why you are hating on my sick son is beyond me. I still wouldn't count them out just yet. If they get in the tournament, you might be surprised as most were tonight.[/Q
They lost.... You coming up with excuses...smh. Rickards had 10 and Davis 6... Who won??. Dover played hard but lost...

I agree, a loss is a loss and I think Dover has a bright future with the young guys, this year is not their year, just not enough....but Y’all let this man be great, just a dad proud of what his son is doing that’s all.... I’m the same way with my brothers...

What’s funny is that you cats don’t want to admit the obvious- that the game was almost an upset as I predicted. I know Dover is a good team, which is why I suggested a possible upset. MrBB must have known what he was talking about concerning matchups. You guys predicted a blowout.

Reactions: theWILL2WIN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT