ADVERTISEMENT

DE High School Dual Meet and Tournament Wraps

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sunday, February 14, 2016
Attachment: Scoresheet (pdf)

Cal Poly Wraps Up Dual Meet Season With 23-15 Win Over Boise State
— Cal Poly Wrestling —

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. — A pin by Colton Schilling and a technical fall by Mitch Woods sparked the Cal Poly wrestling team to s 23-15 victory over Boise State in a Pac-12 Conference dual wrestling meet Sunday afternoon outdoors in the University Union plaza.

Schilling earned his 10th win of the year and sixth by fall, pinning Jake Velarde in 1 minute, 43 seconds, in the 141-pound bout to clinch the dual meet for Cal Poly, 3-9 overall and 1-4 in Pac-12 matches.

Woods helped Cal Poly overcome an early 6-0 deficit, earning the second of four consecutive wins by the Mustangs with a 16-1 technical fall over Zach Coffman at 184 pounds. Woods scored three takedowns and 10 near-fall points for the win in 4 minutes, 11 seconds.

Boise State, which lost to Stanford and CSU Bakersfield earlier in the week, went 0-3 on its California trip and fell to 3-8 and 1-3.

Down 6-0, Cal Poly began its four-bout win streak with a 5-4 decision by 174-pounder Travis Berridge over Austin Dewey, scoring an escape in the third period to snap a 4-4 tie. Berridge has won all four of his dual meet matches this season and is 8-4 on the year.

After Woods’ technical fall, his 10th win of the year as well, J.T. Goodwin earned an 8-3 decision over Kadyn Del Toro at 197 pounds, lifting his mark to 17-9. Goodwin scored a takedown in the first period, an escape in the second period and a pair of takedowns plus riding time in the final period.

Spencer Empey (7-10) capped the four-match run with a 7-0 decision over Gabriel Gonzalez at 285 pounds. After a scoreless first period, Empey tallied a takedown in the second period and a two-point near fall, two penalty points and riding time in the last period.

Jason DelaCruz built a 4-0 lead with takedowns in each of the first two periods en route to a 4-2 victory over Carson Kuhn at 133 pounds, setting the stage for Schilling’s dual meet-clinching fall at 141.

First three bouts of the day were 5-4 decisions.

Mustang 157-pounder Colt Shorts led 4-3 after two periods, but Chris Castillo earned an escape in the third period to force overtime and was awarded a penalty point when Shorts was ruled to have backed off the mat with five seconds left in the sudden victory period.

Cal Poly 165-pounder Blake Kastl let a 4-1 second-period lead slip away as Taylor West tallied two escapes and a late takedown.

Boise State 149-pounder Geordan Martinez, ranked 15th in the nation, improved his record to 25-5 with a first-period fall in the final bout of the dual meet.

Cal Poly will compete in the 2016 Pac-12 Championship on Feb. 27 at Arizona State.

Boise State (15) at Cal Poly (23):
157 — Chris Castillo (BSU) dec. Colt Shorts (CP) 5-4
165 — Taylor West (BSU) dec. Blake Kastl (CP) 5-4
174 — Travis Berridge (CP) dec. Austin Dewey (BSU) 5-4
184 — Mitch Woods (CP) by tech. fall over Zach Coffman (BSU) 16-1, 4:11
197 — J.T. Goodwin (CP) dec. Kadyn Del Toro (BSU) 8-3
285 — Spencer Empey (CP) dec. Gabriel Gonzalez (BSU) 7-0
125 — Rami Haddadin (BSU) dec. David Gonzalez (CP) 6-0
133 — Jason DelaCruz (CP) dec. Carson Kuhn (BSU) 4-2
141 — Colton Schilling (CP) pinned Jake Velarde (BSU) 1:43
149 — Geordan Martinez (BSU) pinned Jacob Leon (CP) 1:38
———
Eric Burdick
Director of Athletics Communications
(Football, Baseball, Wrestling, Men's and Women's Golf SID)
Cal Poly
Mott Athletics Center, Room 123
1 Grand Avenue
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0388
(805) 756-6550 (office)
(805) 550-3427 (cell)
(805) 756-2650 (fax)
eburdick@calpoly.edu
www.gopoly.com
www.youtube.com/calpolyathletics
www.twitter.com/cpmustangs
www.facebook.com/calpolymustangs

Harvard Wrestling Sweeps Brown, Roger Williams

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Harvard wrestling team picked up two wins on Sunday, defeating Brown and Roger Williams in dual meets hosted at the Pizzitola Sports Center.

The Crimson handled the Bears, 25-10, and toppled the Hawks, 38-3. With the pair of victories, Harvard improves to 7-4 overall, 4-3 in the EIWA and 2-3 in the Ivy League. Brown slips to 4-10, 2-8 and 0-5, while Roger Williams moves to 22-3.

Against the Bears, Nolan Hellickson held off Michael Russo at 125 lbs., as Hellickson emerged with a 2-1 decision to even the team score, 3-3. Following a forfeit by Brown at 133 lbs., Todd Preston, ranked No. 10 nationally at 141, took control early in his match against Charles Banaszak and earned a major decision, winning, 18-4, and giving the Crimson a 13-3 lead.

After Brown got back within three points, 13-10, in the team score, 19th-ranked Devon Gobbo topped Jonathan Viruet, 7-2, in their match at 165 lbs., putting Harvard up six, 16-10. In the next match, Josef Johnson collected a sudden victory with a takedown in the first overtime, as he defeated Andrew LaBrie, 3-1, at 174.

In the penultimate match, Michael Mocco picked up a 6-2 decision against Austin Pfarr at 184 lbs. to clinch the victory for Harvard, as the Crimson went up, 22-10. Harvard’s Josh Popple earned another sudden victory for the Crimson at 197 lbs., as he took down Augustus Marker in the extra frame and added some bonus points, winning, 13-7.

In the Roger Williams match, Hellickson took care of Matt Elias, winning, 7-2, to even the team score, 3-3. Jeffrey Ott followed with a 15-0 technical fall against Dan Roger at 133, as the Crimson went ahead, 8-3.

Harvard increased its lead when Preston pinned Tom Sewell, making it 14-3, and then Patrick Hogan scored a major decision at 149, shutting out Carter Merecki, 9-0. The Crimson went up, 22-3, when Colby Knight also earned a major decision against Nick Vines at 157.

Wrestling at 165, Devon Gobbo grabbed a technical fall vs. Simon Medina, 18-3, as Harvard continued to pull away, 27-3. Johnson followed with a 10-1 major decision at 174 against Dan Ressler, 31-3, and then Mocco edged David Welch, 7-1, at 184, upping the team score to 34-3. In the final match of the day, Popple downed Joseph Russo, 17-3, for a major decision.

The Crimson will close out the regular season by hosting Hofstra in an EIWA match Friday, Feb. 19 at 6 p.m. The match will be streamed live on the Ivy League Digital Network and will serve as Senior Day for Joe Barbato, Adam Bicak, Devon Gobbo, Patrick Hogan, Michael Mocco, Josh Popple, Todd Preston and Nicholas Stager.

Harvard 25, Brown 10285: Joshua Durso-Finley (B) dec. Angus Cowell (H), TB-2, 2-1, 0-3
125:
Nolan Hellickson (H) dec. Michael Russo (B), 2-1, 3-3
133: Jeffrey Ott (H) win by forfeit, 9-3
141: No. 10 Todd Preston (H) major dec. Charles Banaszak (B), 18-4, 13-3
149: Steven Galiardo (B) dec. Patrick Hogan (H), 11-4, 13-6
157: No. 20 Justin Staudenmayer (B) major dec. Tyler Tarsi (H), 8-0, 13-10
165: No. 19 Devon Gobbo (H) dec. Jonathan Viruet (B), 7-2, 16-10
174: Josef Johnson (H) dec. Andrew Labrie (B), SV-1, 3-1, 19-10
184: Michael Mocco (H) dec. Austin Pfarr (B), 6-2, 22-10
197: Josh Popple (H) dec. Augustus Marker (B), SV-1, 13-7, 25-10

Harvard 38, Roger Williams 3
285: Adam Patsun (RW) dec. Angus Cowell (H), 2-1, 0-3
125:
Nolan Hellickson (H) dec. Matt Elias (RW), 7-2, 3-3
133:
Jeffrey Ott (H) tech. fall Dan Roger (RW), 15-0, 8-3
141: No. 10 Todd Preston (H) pinned Tom Sewell (RW), 1:49, 14-3
149: Patrick Hogan (H) major dec. Carter Merecki (RW), 9-0, 18-3
157: Colby Knight (H) major dec. Nick Vines (RW), 12-2, 22-3
165: No. 19 Devon Gobbo (H) tech. fall Simon Medina (RW), 18-3, 27-3
174: Josef Johnson (H) major dec. Dan Ressler (RW), 10-1, 31-3
184: Michael Mocco (H) dec. David Welch (RW), 7-1, 34-3
197: Josh Popple (H) major dec. Joseph Russo (RW), 17-3, 38-3

Tim Williamson

Associate Director of Athletics/Athletic Communications

Harvard University

Murr Center

65 North Harvard Street

Boston, MA 02163

(617) 495-2206

GoCrimson.com
@HarvardCrimson
@HarvardSID

------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 2:47 PM
Subject: WR: Purdue’s Luke Welch Upsets Again
To:

Purdue’s Luke Welch Upsets Again

Boilermakers take four bouts in 24-15 loss to No. 14 Rutgers

Feb. 14, 2016

Results / Highlights / Photo Gallery

#BoilerNotes
Luke Welch registered his second 3-1 upset in as many weeks … defeated No. 8 Johnni DiJulius of Ohio State 3-1 on Jan. 31.

Drake Stein wrestled his 80th career match … his pin earned him a spot on Purdue’s career falls list with 17 … he shares the No. 18 spot with four other Boilermakers: Calvin Vande Hoef (1985-88),Chris Fleeger (2002-06), Doug Withsandley (2002-06) and Jason Cook (2004-07).

Peter Andreotti and Jacob Aven wrestled in the first Big Ten matches of their careers … Andreotti wrestled for the first time at 174 … both redshirt freshman wrestled against Shippensburg (11/21).

• The dual started at 133 … it was the second time the starting weight had been drawn this season.

• It was the first meeting between Purdue and Rutgers as Big Ten opponents.

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Luke Welch opened the dual with an upset, but No. 14 Rutgers followed by taking the next five weights, including three with bonus points, to defeat Purdue 24-15 on Sunday inside Holloway Gymnasium. Three more Boilermakers were victorious in the Big Ten dual finale, as they finished with a 3-6 conference record and moved to 8-7 overall.

A reversal with two seconds remaining in the tiebreaker lifted Welch to a 3-1 upset of No. 19 Anthony Giraldo. The 133-pound bout was locked at 1-1 at the end of regulation and Welch was unable to score off a shot attempt in sudden victory.

Welch rode Giraldo out in the first 30-second tiebreaker. It was his turn on bottom and with 12 seconds left on the clock, Welch worked to his feet, but was returned with the hold Giraldo had on his ankle. Welch came around on the Scarlet Knight and earned the winning reversal to move to 14-11 in his redshirt sophomore campaign.

“These are huge wins because it sets you up for Big Tens and NCAAs,” the Newburgh, Indiana, native said. “I have had an up and down season, but I have been wrestling well lately. I have to continue to believe in myself, my plan and my coaches.”

Rutgers claimed the next five bouts to build a 21-3 lead. The Scarlet Knights took 141 by major decision, 149 with a first period technical fall and posted a slim decision at 157.

It was a battle of top-10 wrestlers at 165 with seventh-ranked Chad Welch facing off against No. 8 Anthony Perrotti. Despite C. Welch needing only 10 seconds to take Perotti down, the Scarlet Knight reversed him just as quickly as he was taken down and pinned the Boilermaker in 1:35. The loss brought the redshirt senior’s record to 25-5, with three of his five losses coming by fall.

Purdue followed a decision loss at 174 with back-to-back wins at 184 and 197. A pair of takedowns in the final period erased a 3-0 deficit and lifted Tanner Lynde to a 5-4 victory over Anthony Pafumi. After going winless against Big Ten competition his first two seasons, Lynde turns in a 5-4 conference record as a redshirt junior.

“This win is huge mentally for me,” Lynde said. “I know that we are in good shape and we are all buying into the fact that we can go the distance. I knew my opponent was getting tired and it was my time to go after him some more. It is great to end the Big Ten season that way. Right now I am good on my feet, so I need to get to my feet and keep on them no matter who it is and what they are ranked.”

Drake Stein etched his name in Purdue’s record book by pinning Hayden Hrymack in 27 seconds. The redshirt senior came off an underhook, tossed and rolled Hrymack for the 17th fall of his career.

“I like to get it [a head throw] right off the whistle to try and get guys off their game plan because it opens up my leg attacks,” Stein said. “When he tried to roll through, it was a done deal.”

The 27-second pin is the fastest of Stein’s career and his second-ever coming under a minute. It pushed his season fall total to six, which matches a season best from 2011-12.

A 4-1 decision from Luke Schroeder over Sean McCabe at 125 closed out competition. Schroeder scored a takedown in the first period, rode out the second and escaped in the third for his first dual victory since Dec. 18, 2011.

Purdue host a pair of non-conference opponents to close out the regular season. SIU Edwardsville will come into Holloway Gymnasium on Friday for a 7 p.m. ET dual. The Boilermakers close out dual action against Duke at 1 p.m. Sunday.

--

Amanda C. Dahl

Purdue University

Assistant Athletics Communications Director

@PurdueWrestling, @PurdueMT, @PurdueWT

O 765.494.6235 | C 712.251.9271

Heil Defeats McKenna, Cowboys Blast Stanford

STILLWATER – Dean Heil remains the No. 1 wrestler in the nation at 141 pounds after defeating No. 2 Joey McKenna, helping the No. 4 Cowboys to their second shutout of the season with a 41-0 win over Stanford on Sunday afternoon.

In a dual that saw three overtime matches and five bonus point victories, the Cowboys had the dual win sealed after only six matches, improving to 12-2 on the season.

“The score didn’t indicate some of the tougher matches we had.” Coach John Smith said. “They were able to slow us down a few times and test our defense. You don’t like to see those matches, but it’s good to test our abilities.”

Earning his 100th career victory, sixth-ranked Eddie Klimara got the crowd hyped in his overtime win over No. 15 Connor Schram to start the dual. The two were deadlocked at 1-1 after regulation, forcing the match to sudden victory. A beautiful inside trip from Klimara resulted in a takedown for the Cowboy senior and the win, 3-1.

"It was exciting to get 100 wins at Oklahoma State with this successful wrestling program,” Klimara said. “Honestly, it wasn't on my mind. I just went out there and wrestled these last two duals and now I've got one more left in Gallagher-Iba and then it's over, so I'm just going out there having fun and wrestling."

At 133 pounds, Gary Wayne Harding took on Mason Pengilly. The Cowboy scored his first takedown on the edge of the mat for the only points in the first period. An escape and two more takedowns for Harding gave him a 7-2 victory and his 11th win of the season.

The featured bout of the day put No. 1 Heil against No. 2 McKenna. Similar to the match at 125 pounds, escapes from each wrestler tied the match at 1-1 and put the match into overtime. In sudden victory, McKenna was in on a shot that appeared would end the match; however, Heil wiggled his way into a scramble and came out on top with a takedown and a 3-1 win.

"I have a lot of faith in my defense,” Heil said. “I work on it a lot, and lately I haven't been as offensive as I need to be, so I've worked on my defense in the room. If a guy gets on my leg I can defend it pretty well and in that match it showed. That's the biggest thing I can take from the match. Instead of winning on a stall call, I won on a takedown. I wish it was more offensive, but a takedown is a takedown."

At 149 pounds, Anthony Collica notched his third-consecutive pin in just 2:20. He controlled the match with two quick takedowns to lead to the fall. The junior improves to 21-6 on the season.

"I was out for a while so I didn't get to practice much and now I'm starting to get my groove back and it's coming back together nicely,” Collica said. “We're getting better for March and we'll be ready."

Hestin Lamons made his debut for the Cowboys, stepping into the lineup at 157 pounds. The redshirt freshman took on Nainoa Calvo in a match that lasted only 1:37 as the Cowboy pinned the Cardinal in his first varsity match.

Alex Dieringer improved to 23-0 on the year and notched his 20th bonus-point win on Sunday, defeating No. 18 Jim Wilson with a 13-5 major decision. The Cowboy standout earned four takedowns in the match to separate the score and take the win.

Chandler Rogers made his second-straight start at 174 pounds. The Cowboy piled on the points against Dylan Morris, scoring six takedowns in the match along with two escapes and a set of back points.

Nolan Boyd extends his win streak to nine after taking out Garet Krohn in a 4-1 match. The Cardinal wrestler gave up two penalty points for stalling in the first period to give Boyd a 2-0 going into the second period. Boyd escaped to start the second and earned riding time in the third for the win.

At 197 pounds, Andrew Marsden got the nod and faced Zach Nevills. It didn’t take long for Marsden to get in a rhythm as he led 8-0 after the first period. He kept the momentum going, scoring a reversal in the second and a takedown and nearfall in the third to end the match in 6:17 with a 17-0 technical fall.

Austin Marsden, ranked No. 5 in the nation, is now 6-1 against ranked opponents as he edged No. 20 Nathan Butler in the final overtime match of the day, 3-1. The Cowboy has now won 15 matches in a row, closing out the duals for the Pokes.

Oklahoma State wrestling returns to action on Feb. 19 at 7 p.m. going head-to-head with North Carolina.

No. 4 Oklahoma State 41, Stanford 0

Feb. 14, 2016 :: Gallagher-Iba Arena :: Attendance – 2,188Referee: Rick Fink

125: No. 6 Eddie Klimara (OSU) dec. No. 15 Connor Schram (STAN), 3-1 SV1
133: Gary Wayne Harding (OSU) dec. Mason Pengilly (STAN), 7-2
141: No. 1 Dean Heil (OSU) dec. Joey McKenna (STAN), 3-1 SV1
149: No. 13 Anthony Collica (OSU) fall Tommy Pawelski (STAN), 2:20
157: Hestin Lamons (OSU) fall Nainoa Calvo (STAN), 1:37
165: No. 1 Alex Dieringer (OSU) MD No. 18 Jim Wilson (STAN), 13-5
174: Chandler Rogers (OSU) TF Dylan Morris (STAN), 18-3; 6:46
184: No. 14 Nolan Boyd (OSU) dec. Garet Krohn (STAN), 4-1
197: Andrew Marsden (OSU) TF Zach Nevills (STAN), 17-0; 6:17
285: No. 5 Austin Marsden (OSU) dec. No. 20 Nathan Butler (STAN), 3-1 SV1

or Immediate Release:

From Brown University Athletic Communications

February 14, 2016

Brown Wrestling Tops Roger Williams, Falls to Harvard at Beauty and the Beast Meet

Release Link: http://brownbears.com/sports/m-wrestl/2015-16/releases/20160214qakv97

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Brown University wrestling earned a 24-17 win over Roger Williams University after dropping a 25-10 decision to Harvard University in the Bears’ second Beauty and the Beast meet alongside Brown gymnastics on Sunday afternoon at the Pizzitola Sports Center.

The Bears (4-10, 2-8 EIWA) topped the visiting Hawks (22-2) after falling to their Ivy and EIWA foe Crimson (6-4, 4-3 EIWA) earlier in the afternoon before a standing-room-only crowd at the Pizzitola.

Junior Justin Staudenmayer (Plymouth Meeting, Pa.), ranked No. 20 at 157 lbs. according to Intermat, led Brown with two wins on the day, notching bonus points in both victories and increasing his season win total to 25. Seven other Bears won bouts on the day.

On the other side of the gym, Brown gymnastics scored a season-high 194.000 in a dual meet with the University of Bridgeport, which posted a 194.825.

Next, Brown hosts Hofstra for Senior Day on Saturday, Feb. 20 at 1 p.m. in its regular season finale.

Dual 1: Harvard 25, Brown 10

Junior Steven Galiardo (Chicago, Ill.) and Staudenmayer won back-to-back bouts to pull Brown within 13-10 before Harvard claimed the last four bouts in its 25-10 win.

Opening the match in the heavyweight division, sophomore Josh Durso-Finley (Lawrenceville, N.J.) gained a 2-1 win over Angus Cowell in a tiebreaker session. Durso-Finley posted an escape in the third period and added an escape in the tiebreaker.

At 149 lbs., Galiardo earned an 11-4 win over Patrick Hogan to bring Brown within 13-6 in the team score. Galiardo led 2-1 after the first period and increased his edge to 4-2 through two stanzas. He posted a takedown, a 4-point near fall, and a riding time point to ensure the victory.

Staudenmayer shut out Tyler Tarsi at 157 lbs., 8-0, to cut the Bears’ deficit to 13-10. Staudenmayer scored a takedown and 4-point near fall in the opening period and tacked on an escape in each of the second and third frames.

Sophomore Michael Russo (Jersey City, N.J.) dropped a 2-1 decision at 125 lbs., classmate Andrew LaBrie (Exeter, R.I.) fell 3-1 in sudden victory at 174 lbs., and senior Augustus Marker (Castle Rock, Colo.) lost in sudden victory, 13-7, at 197 lbs.

Harvard 25, Brown 10 (Feb. 14, 2016 | Pizzitola Sports Center)

285: Josh Durso-Finley (B) def. Angus Cowell (H), Dec. 2-1 TB-2 (Brown 3-0)

125: Nolan Hellickson (H) def. Michael Russo (B), Dec. 2-1 (Tied 3-3)

133: Jeffrey Ott (H) wins via forfeit (Harvard 9-3)

141: No. 10 Todd Preston (H) def. Charlie Banaszak (B), MD 18-4 (Harvard 133)

149: Steven Galiardo (B) def. Patrick Hogan (H), Dec. 11-4 (Harvard 13-6)

157: No. 20 Justin Staudenmayer (B) def. Tyler Tarsi (H), MD 8-0 (Harvard 13-10)

165: No. 19 Devon Gobbo (H) def. Jon Viruet (B), Dec. 7-2 (Harvard 16-10)

174: Josef Johnson (H) def. Andrew LaBrie (B), Dec. 3-1 SV-1 (Harvard 19-10)

184: Michael Mocco (H) def. Austin Pfarr (B), Dec. 6-2 (Harvard 22-10)

197: Josh Popple (H) def. Augustus Marker (B), Dec. 13-7 SV-1 (Harvard 25-10)

Dual 2: Brown 24, Roger Williams 17

Junior William McDonald (Carson City, Nev.) won via fall, Staudenmayer took a technical fall victory, and Russo won via major decision to lead Brown to a 24-17 victory over Roger Williams.

Russo posted Brown’s first team points with a 10-2 major decision over Nick Barbaria at 125 lbs. He opened the bout with six points in the first period and charted four points the rest of the way.

Sophomore Charlie Banaszak (Bethesda, Md.) won at 141 lbs. against Justin Cochran, 3-0. Banaszak scored a takedown in the first and an escape in the second period.

McDonald posted his fall in 1:34 against Thomas Carta at 149 lbs. to push Brown to a 13-9 lead in the team score. Staudenmayer followed with a technical fall, 18-2, over Carter Merecki, tallying three straight 4-point near falls to seal the win.

Sophomore Christian LaBrie (Exeter, R.I.) grabbed a 6-3 win over Alec Golner at 165 lbs., and twin brother Andrew LaBrie followed with a 3-2 win at 174 lbs. to push the hosts ahead 24-9.

Brown 24, Roger Williams 17 (Feb. 14, 2016 | Pizzitola Sports Center)

285: Kyle Foster (R) def. Josh Durso-Finley (B), Dec. 6-2 (RWU 3-0)

125: Michael Russo (B) def. Nick Barbaria (R), MD 10-2 (Brown 4-3)

133: Jean-Luc Lemieux (R) wins via forfeit (RWU 9-4)

141: Charlie Banaszak (B) def. Justin Cochran (R), Dec. 3-0 (RWU 9-7)

149: William McDonald (B) def. Thomas Carta (R), Fall 1:34 (Brown 13-9)

157: No. 20 Justin Staudenmayer (B) def. Carter Merecki (R), TF 18-2 (Brown 18-9)

165: Christian LaBrie (B) def. Alec Golner (R), Dec. 6-3 (Brown 21-9)

174: Andrew LaBrie (B) def. Dan Ressler (R), Dec. 3-2 (Brown 24-9)

184: Joe Albina (R) def. CJ LaFragola (B), MD 10-2 (Brown 24-13)

197: David Welch (R) def. Tucker Ziegler (B), MD 18-4 (Brown 24-17)

####

--
Nick Dow
Athletic Communications Assistant
Brown University
Email: nicholas_dow@brown.edu
Office: 401-863-6069
Cell: 781-812-7991

Date: Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 2:22 PM
Subject: ODU Wrestling Drops Close Duals to Eastern Michigan, American
To:

NORFOLK, Va. -- The Old Dominion wrestling team (5-12, 0-6 MAC) dropped close dual meets to Eastern Michigan, 19-12, and American, 19-18, in a double-header at the Ted Constant Center Sunday afternoon before 436 fans. Alexander Richardson, Seldon Wright and Jack Dechow went 2-0 on the day.

In the first dual of the day, ODU fell to the Eastern Michigan Eagles, 19-12. Jack Dechow got ODU off to a 3-0 lead with a 5-2 win over Derek Hillman, but EMU rebounded with an 11-3 major from No. 19 Anthony Abro at 197 over Kaleab Fetahi and a controversial 4-3 decision from Gage Hutchison over Austin Coburn at 285.

Brandon Jeske narrowed the Eagles' lead to 7-6 with a high-scoring 10-6 win over Armando Torres at 125, but Shayne Wireman defeated Josh Markham at 133 to put Eastern Michigan out in front, 10-6. Kyle Springer followed up at 141 with an upset win over No. 13 Chris Mecate, 11-4, at 141.

At 149, despite giving up the opening takedown, No. 8 Alexander Richardson went to work on top to grab a commanding 9-3 victory over Nick Barber to close the EMU lead to 13-9 heading into the final three bouts.

On the strength of a reversal in the final 10 seconds of the 157 bout, Michael Shaw took down Devin Geoghegan, 2-1, to extend the Eagle lead to 16-9.

Seldon Wright forced overtime with a match-tying takedown late in the third period and went on to outlast Dakota Juarez, 6-4 in sudden victory, at 165, but Jacob Davis sealed the win for EMU with an 8-3 win over Terrell Forbes at 174. EMU defeated ODU, 19-12.

Later in the afternoon the Monarchs battled but fell to American, 19-18. Despite winning six of the 10 contested bouts, American used two quick first period pins from No. 14 David Terao over Brandon Jeske and No. 20 Jeric Kasunic over Kaleab Fetahi and a major decision from No. 14 John Boyle over Austin Eads to clinch the victory.

Jack Dechow earned his second win of the day with a decisive 6-3 win over Jason Grimes at 184, and Austin Coburnknocked off Jake Scanlan, 4-3, at 285. Josh Markham also went on to grab his first career dual meet win for ODU with a 12-5 decision over James Giaccia at 133.

After Tyler Scotton defeated Michael Hayes, 8-3, Alexander Richardson claimed a 7-1 win over Michael Dahlstrom at 149, and Seldon Wright won his second overtime bout of the afternoon, taking down American's nationally-ranked fifth-year senior Mitchell Wightman, 4-2 in sudden victory.

Brooks Climmons finished off a takedown in overtime to wrap up the dual meet, taking down American's Michael Eckhart, 6-4 in sudden victory.

ODU returns to the Ted Constant Center Friday, Feb. 19 to host Northern Illinois at 7:30 p.m. before clashing with Central Michigan at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 21 in the Jim Jarrett Athletic Administration Gymnasium on Senior Day.

Eastern Michigan 19, Old Dominion 12125: Brandon Jeske (ODU) dec. Armando Torres (EMU), 10-6
133: Shayne Wireman (EMU) dec. Josh Markham (ODU), 7-2
141: Kyle Springer (EMU) dec. No. 13 Chris Mecate (ODU), 11-4
149: No. 8 Alexander Richardson (ODU) dec. Nick Barber (EMU), 9-3
157: Michael Shaw (EMU) dec. Devin Geoghegan (ODU), 2-1
165: Seldon Wright (ODU) dec. Dakota Juarez (EMU), 6-4 OT
174: Jacob Davis (EMU) dec. Terrell Forbes (ODU), 8-3
184: No. 11 Jack Dechow (ODU) dec. Derek Hillman (EMU), 5-2
197: No. 19 Anthony Abro (EMU) maj. Kaleab Fetahi (ODU), 11-3
285: Gage Hutchison (EMU) dec. Austin Coburn (ODU), 4-3

American 19, Old Dominion 18125: No. 14 David Terao (AU) pin Brandon Jeske (ODU), 0:30
133: Josh Markham (ODU) dec. James Giaccia (AU), 12-5
141: Tyler Scotton (AU) dec. Michael Hayes (ODU), 8-3
149: No. 8 Alexander Richardson dec. Michael Dahlstrom (AU), 7-1
157: No. 14 John Boyle (AU) maj. Austin Eads (ODU), 11-3
165: Seldon Wright (ODU) dec. Mitchell Wightman (AU), 4-2 OT
174: Brooks Climmons (ODU) dec. Michael Eckhart (AU), 6-4 OT
184: No. 11 Jack Dechow (ODU) dec. Jason Grimes (AU), 6-3
197: No. 20 Jeric Kasunic (AU) pin Kaleab Fetahi (ODU), 1:31
285: Austin Coburn (ODU) dec. Jake Scanlan (AU), 4-3

--
Tristan Warner
Old Dominion University
Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant (WREST, MGOLF, WGOLF)
Jim Jarrett Athletic Administration Building
4509 Elkhorn Avenue
Norfolk, Virginia 23529
Office: (757) 683-3395
Cell: (717) 571-1206
www.ODUSports.com

NORMAN, Okla. – South Dakota State’s school-record 12-match dual winning streak came to an end Sunday as the 24th-ranked Jackrabbits were upended at No. 7 Oklahoma, 19-13.

The Sooners, who won four of the final five bouts to secure the victory, improved to 10-5 overall, including 5-1 in the Big 12. SDSU, meanwhile, fell to 13-6 overall and 5-2 against Big 12 Conference foes. All six of the Jackrabbits’ dual losses this season have been to teams currently ranked in the top 25.

Oklahoma grabbed an early 7-0 lead after two of its ranked wrestlers posted victories. Eighth-ranked Ryan Millhof notched a 10-3 decision over Ben Gillette in the 125-pound bout and fourth-ranked Cody Brewer followed with a 16-5 major decision over Brance Simms at 133 pounds.

The Jackrabbits rallied to take a 10-7 lead with wins in the next three matches to close out the first half of the dual. Seth Gross got the streak started with an 8-2 decision over Trae Blackwell in the 141-pound match and Alex Kocer added a 9-5 decision over Davion Jeffries at 149 pounds, improving to 21-9 on the season. Gross became the fifth Jackrabbit wrestler this season to reach the 20-win mark, improving to 20-11 overall.

Senior Cody Pack gave SDSU its lone bonus-point victory of the dual with a 15-1 major decision over Shayne Tucker in the 157-pound weight class. With the win, the fifth-ranked Pack improved to 24-2 on the season, including 14-1 in duals.

The second half of the dual belonged to the Sooners, who regained the lead with consecutive wins by Clark Glass, Matt Reed and Andrew Dixon.

SDSU’s other ranked wrestler, Nate Rotert, brought the Jackrabbits to within 16-13 heading into the final bout with a 6-2 decision over Brad Johnson. The 15th-ranked Rotert upped his record to 23-8 on the season.

In the decisive final matchup, 17th-ranked Ross Larson of Oklahoma sealed the Sooner victory with a 4-0 shutout of Alex Macki.

The Jackrabbits close out the dual season next Sunday (Feb. 21) with a Big 12 dual at North Dakota State. Start time is 2 p.m. at Bentson Bunker Fieldhouse on the NDSU campus in Fargo.

NO. 7 OKLAHOMA 19, NO. 24 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 13125: #8 Ryan Millhof (OU) dec. Ben Gillette (SDSU), 10-3
133: #4 Cody Brewer (OU) major dec. Brance Simms (SDSU), 16-5
141: Seth Gross (SDSU) dec. Trae Blackwell (OU), 8-2
149: Alex Kocer (SDSU) dec. Davion Jeffries (OU), 9-5
157: #5 Cody Pack (SDSU) major dec. Shayne Tucker (OU), 15-1
165: #13 Clark Glass (OU) dec. Luke Zilverberg (SDSU), 6-1
174: Matt Reed (OU) dec. David Kocer (SDSU), 9-4
184: Andrew Dixon (OU) dec. Brady Ayers (SDSU), 4-3
197: #15 Nate Rotert (SDSU) dec. Brad Johnson (OU), 6-2
285: #17 Ross Larson (OU) dec. Alex Macki (SDSU), 4-0

Jason Hove
Assistant AD-Sports Information
South Dakota State University
Office: (605) 688-4623

Cell: (605) 695-1827
Fax: (605) 688-5999
E-Mail: Jason.Hove@sdstate.edu
Web: http://www.GoJacks.com
Twitter: @GoJacksSDSU @GoJacksWrestle

rom: Regina E. Verlengiere<rverleng@stanford.edu>
Date: Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 1:59 PM
Subject: Stanford Wrestling Shut Out at No. 2 Oklahoma State
To:

Cardinal Falls at Oklahoma St.
Courtesy: Stanford Athletics
Release: 02/14/2016

STILLWATER, Okla. - In its final dual meet of the season, the No. 18 Stanford wrestling team was shut out by No. 2 Oklahoma State, Sunday, at Gallagher-Iba Arena.

Falling 41-0, Stanford drops to 11-4 on the year, while the Cowboys moved to 12-2.

The dual opened with a matchup of ranked opponents in 15th-ranked Connor Schram and No. 6 Eddie Klimara of Oklahoma State at 125 pounds. Tied 1-1, Klimara scored a takedown with under 30 seconds left for a 3-1 sudden victory decision over Schram in overtime.

Sophomore Mason Pengilly dropped a 7-2 decision to Gary Wayne Harding at 133 to give the Cowboys a 6-0 advantage in the dual.

The most anticipated bout of the day pitted No. 1 Dean Heil against Stanford freshman Joey McKenna, ranked No. 2. The pair met earlier in the season in the finals of the Southern Scuffle (Jan. 2), where Heil prevailed 2-1 in overtime.

Tied 1-1 after three, McKenna attempted a double-leg shot in overtime, but a scramble by Heil turned into a takedown for the Cowboy with under 10 seconds remaining on the clock and a 3-1 sudden victory decision. It is just the second loss of the season for McKenna, who is now 19-2.

Oklahoma State quickly pulled ahead 21-0, getting falls at 149 and 157 pounds.

At 165 pounds, top-ranked Alex Dieringer, a two-time national chamopin, posted a 13-5 major decision over No. 18 Jim Wilson. It was 2-1 Dieringer after the first. Both wrestlers were awarded stalling points by the third period, three for Dieringer and one for Wilson. Dieringer tacked on two more takedown in the final period for the victory. Wilson drops to 21-6 on the year and 13-2 in duals.

After Chandler Rogers posted an 18-3 technical fall over Stanford senior Dylan Morris, redshirt sophomore Garet Krohn dropped a 4-1 decision to 14th-ranked Nolan Boyd. Krohn gave up two stalling points in the opening period and an escape in the second. He scored an escape to start the third, but Boyd had riding time locked up.

The Cowboys made it 38-0 as Andrew Marsden dominated Zach Nevills at 197 pounds with a 17-0 technical fall in 6:19.

In the final bout of the afternoon, No. 5 Austin Marsden recorded a 3-1 sudden victory decision over No. 20 Nathan Butler at heavyweight to complete the shutout.

Up next, Stanford heads to Tempe, Arizona for the Pac-12 Championships on Saturday, Feb. 27. The finals of the tournament will be televised live on Pac-12 Network at 5 p.m. PT.

No. 2 Oklahoma State 41, No. 18 Stanford 0

Weight
Matchups
Score
#6 Eddie Klimara (O) dec. #15 Connor Schram (S)
3-1 (SV)
Gary Wayne Harding (O) dec. Mason Pengilly (S)
7-2
#1 Dean Heil (O) dec. #2 Joey McKenna (S)
3-1 (SV)
#13 Anthony Collica (O) fall Tommy Pawelski (S)
2:27
Hestin Lamons (O) fall Nainoa Calvo (S)
1:39
#1 Alex Dieringer (O) maj. dec. #18 Jim Wilson (S)
13-5
Chandler Rogers (O) tech. fall Dylan Morris (S)
18-3 (6:47)
#14 Noolan Boyd (O) dec. Garet Krohn (S)
4-1
Andrew Marsden (O) tech. fall Zach Nevills (S)
17-0 (6:19)
#5 Austin Marsden (O) dec. #20 Nathan Butler (S)
3-1 (SV)

Regina Verlengiere

Assistant Director, Athletics Communications

Women's Volleyball, Wrestling, Men's Volleyball

641 E. Campus Dr.

Stanford, CA 94305

650-723-0996 (O)

-------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 1:58 PM
Subject: Terps Split Duals with Wisconsin, George Mason
To: wrestling <wrestling@reflectors.mail.umd.edu>

Terps Split Duals with Wisconsin, George Mason

Maryland Wins Beauty and the Beast Match Over Patriots

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Maryland spilt a pair of duals Sunday afternoon falling to Wisconsin 25-12 before notching a 31-9 victory over George Mason in the team’s second annual Beauty and the Beast Match with Terps gymnastics. Maryland wrestling now stands at 5-12 (1-8 Big Ten) on the year.

Wisconsin

After a leadoff win for Wisconsin (3-7, 2-6 Big Ten) at 149 pounds, redshirt senior Lou Mascola (157) brought the Terps even in the match with a 10-7 decision over TJ Ruschell. The East Hanover, N.J native was aggressive out of the gate, opening up a 6-1 first period advantage on a takedown and four-point near fall. Mascola was ahead by as many as nine points in the match, but some late scoring from Ruschell cut it to three late. Mascola held off the late charge to remain the team leader in dual victories (11).

The Badgers took command of the dual from there, securing the next six bouts to take a 25-3 lead on the hosts. Maryland produced two of the most exciting wins of the afternoon at 133 and 141 pounds to end the contest, as both redshirt senior Geoffrey Alexander (144) and redshirt junior Billy Rappo (141) tallied victories.

No. 16 Alexander and Wisconsin’s No. 7 Ryan Taylor provided the crowd with the match’s only bout between ranked wrestlers, and it did not disappoint. The two went after it from the get go, with Alexander nearly pinning the Badger after a takedown and four-point near fall in the first period. Taylor showed his All-Americana prowess, escaping the hold to trail 6-1 after the period and eventually take Alexander to the mat late in the third. The Pittsburgh, Pa. native held his ground, getting an 8-6 decision to stay unbeaten in the Big Ten (6-0).

Rappo made his mark in the second period in his match against Luke Rowh, going up 3-0 after an escape and takedown. It wasn’t until the third when he brought out the finishing move, holding Rowh to his back at 6:05 for his first career Big Ten victory. Wisconsin still took the dual 25-12 to move to 3-7 on the year and 2-6 in the Big Ten.

George Mason

After an opening round DQ in favor of the Patriots, Maryland rattled off eight consecutive victories to upend George Mason (7-12) 31-9 in the squad’s second match of the day. Mascola and Alexander both won their matches to move to 2-0 on the afternoon; which included a last second third period takedown for Mascola to earn a 3-1 decision over Mason’s Greg Flournoy.

The Terps had a pair of sudden victory decisions in their favor as well, courtesy of redshirt senior Josh Snook (174) and redshirt sophomore Dawson Peck (285). After going down, a reversal along with ride time tied Peck’s match with Matthew Voss. Battling a knee injury, Peck secured the comeback victory with a takedown in overtime to extend the Maryland lead to 22-6.

Redshirt freshman Michael Beck (125) put the match out of reach in the 125-pound bout, pinning Bill Prochniewski at 6:47. Senior Mark Colbucci (184) and redshirt freshman Garrett Wesneski (197) helped lead the charge at the upper weights, as both wrestlers won their matches by technical fall. Freshman Brendan Burnham (165) rounded out the list of winners for the Terps, notching an 8-4 decision victory over Patrick Davis.

The Terps will wrap up their 2015-16 dual match slate on Saturday, February 20 when the team host Rider in College Park at 3:00 pm. The team will honor its five seniors in a pre-match ceremony for senior day.

Maryland 12, Wisconsin 25

149: Andrew Crone (WISC) decision over Wade Hodges (MD), 5-3 (0-3)

157: Lou Mascola (MD) decision over TJ Ruschell (WISC), 10-7 (3-3)

165: No. 3 Issac Jordan (WISC) fall over Tyler Manion (MD), 3:37 (3-9)

174: Ricky Robertson (WISC) decision over Derrick Evanovich (MD), 3-0 (3-12)

184: Ryan Christensen (WISC) decision over Jaron Smith (MD), 5-2 (3-15)

197: Eric Peissig (WISC) decision over Garrett Wesneski (MD), 5-4 (3-18)

285: Brock Horwath (WISC) major decision over Youssif Hemdia (MD), 10-0 (3-22)

125: Johnny Jimenez (WISC) decision over Michael Beck (MD), 7-2 (3-25)

133: No. 16 Geoffrey Alexander (MD) decision over No. 7 Ryan Taylor (WISC), 8-6 (6-25)

141: Billy Rappo (MD) fall over Luke Rowh (WISC), 6:05 (12-25)

Maryland 31, George Mason 9

149: Blake Roulo (GMU) DQ over Ryan Diehl (MD), (0-6)

157: Lou Mascola (MD) decision over Greg Flournoy (GMU), 3-1 (3-6)

165: Brendan Burnham (MD) decision over Patrick Davis (GMU), 8-4 (6-6)

174: Josh Snook (MD) decision over Daniel Mika (GMU), 3-1 SV-1 (9-6)

184: Mark Colabucci (MD) technical fall over Austin Harrison (GMU), 17-2 (14-6)

197: Garrett Wesneski (MD) technical fall over Cameron Houston (GMU), 15-0 (19-6)

285: Dawson Peck (MD) decision over Matthew Voss (GMU), 7-5 (SV-1) (22-6)

125: Michael Beck (MD) fall over Bill Prochniewski (GMU), 6:47 (28-6)

133: No. 16 Geoffrey Alexander (MD) decision over Ryan Renkey (GMU), 11-8 (31-6)

141: Tejon Anthony (GMU) decision over Alfred Bannister (MD), 2-1 (31-9)

-Terps-

Keith Sneddon

Media Relations Assistant | WrestlingIntercollegiate Athletics|University of Maryland

P: 443.617.2423

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 1:23 PM
Subject: NC STATE WRESTLING: Seniors Gantt & Gwiazdowski Lead @PackWrestle to an 18-17 Win over #5 Missouri
To:

Seniors Gantt & Gwiazdowski Lead @PackWrestle to an 18-17 Win over #5 Missouri
#1 Gwiazdowski wins dual for Pack with 17-1 first-period tech fall

RALEIGH, N.C. - On Senior Day NC State’s two seniors made the most of their final home dual, and helped the #3 Wolfpack pull off a come-from-behind 18-17 win over #5 Missouri Sunday afternoon. Tommy Gantt (157 pounds) recorded his fourth straight win over a ranked foe, and classmate Nick Gwiazdowski (285) went into his last home match needed a tech fall or a pin for a Wolfpack team win, and the two-time defending NCAA Champions ended the dual in the first period with a dominating 17-1 performance. The Pack’s senior duo improves to a combined 47-0 this season.

After the first seven matches, Missouri held a 14-9 lead over the Wolfpack (22-1). NC State’s Pete Renda started the comeback with an 11-0 major decision at 184 pounds to pull NC State within 14-13. At 197, former NCAA Champion and two-time All-American J’Den Cox was only able to score a 5-1 decision for the Tigers (13-2), which pushed the team score to 17-13 heading into the final bout and left the door open for the Wolfpack comeback. Gwiazdowski left little doubt about the outcome, attacking in the first few seconds and ending his final home dual securing the Wolfpack win.

The dual started with a Missouri win at 125 pounds.

The Pack’s first victory came at 133 pounds, when #30 Jamal Morris upset #14 Zach Synon 3-0. Morris scored a takedown as time expired in the first period. Starting the second on top, Morris rode Synon the entire period, and chose to start on top in the third and rode Synon the entire period again to finish with 4:00 of ride time for the extra point. Morris’ victory was the first of his career over a ranked foe, and he has won eight of his 12 duals overall since January.

#3 Kevin Jack made it back-to-back wins for the Pack, as he downed #6 Matt Manley 4-2. After a scoreless first, Jack started the second on bottom and scored the lone point of the period with an escape. Manley got a reversal to start the third, but Jack quickly answered with a reversal of his own, and rode out Manley the rest of the period and tacked on another point for ride time. With the win, Jack has now won 14 straight - with four of his last five wins all versus opponents ranked 17th or better.

Missouri scored the duals’ first bonus points at 149 with a major decision.

In his last home dual, #4 Tommy Gantt remained perfect on the season with a 5-2 win over #29 Le’Roy Barnes at 157 pounds. After a scoreless first, Gantt scored an escape, then a takedown, and then two near fall points to open the scoring in the second. Gantt improves to a perfect 21-0 on the season, including 8-0 versus ranked foes and each of his last four wins have come all against ranked opponents.

At the intermission, the Pack led 9-7. The Tigers came out after the break and put together back-to-back wins with a decision at 165 pounds followed by a major decision at 174 to make the score 14-9.

#17 Pete Renda scored the upset at 184 pounds in defeating #11 Willie Miklus for a major decision of 11-0. Renda scored a takedown in the first, and then picked up six near-fall points by putting Miklus on his back twice and after the first it was 8-0. Renda then rode him the entire second and periods, picking up a pair of stall points, and his 5:36 of ride time made the final 11-0. Renda’s win was his fifth of the season over a ranked foe, his highest of the year, and pulled the Pack within 14-13 with two bouts remaining.

Missouri increased its lead to 17-13 going into the final bout, but #2 J’Den Cox was only able to pick up a 5-1 decision over the Pack’s Malik McDonald - meaning NC State could win the dual with a technical fall or a pin from Nick Gwiazdowski in the final bout.

#1 Gwiazdowski did not disappoint the home crowd in his final home match, as he dominated James Romero from the opening whistle and picked up a 17-1 first-period technical fall, and in the process scored five points for the Pack for the comeback win. Gwiazdowski improves to 26-0 on the season, and sits at 53-0 all-time in duals at NC State.

#3 NC State 18, #5 Missouri 17
125: #11 Barlow McGhee (Mizz) dec. #20 Sean Fausz; 5-2 - 0-3
133: #30 Jamal Morris (NCSU) dec. #14 Zach Synon; 3-0 - 3-3
141: #3 Kevin Jack (NCSU) dec. #6 Matt Manley; 4-2 - 6-3
149: #3 Lavion Mayes (Mizz) major dec. Beau Donahue; 14-4 - 6-7
157: #4 Tommy Gantt (NCSU) dec. #29 Le’Roy Barnes; 5-2 - 9-7
165: #4 Daniel Lewis (Mizz) dec. #6 Max Rohskopf; 6-1 - 9-10
174: #5 Blaise Butler (Mizz) major dec. Nicky Hall; 12-4 - 9-14
184: #17 Pete Renda (NCSU) major dec. #11 Willie Miklus; 11-0 - 13-14
197: #2 J’Den Cox (Mizz) dec. Malik McDonald; 5-1 - 13-17
285: #1 Nick Gwiazdowski (NCSU) technical fall James Romero; 17-1 - 18-17

Up Next: The Pack will await to hear if they will be selected for the National Duals, which would see NC State travel to a Big Ten school next weekend. The announcement will be made tonight or tomorrow.

--

Brian Reinhardt
Director of Athletics Digital Communications
(919) 515-8953 (office)
(919) 819-8317 (cell)
brian_reinhardt@ncsu.edu

Visit www.GoPack.com
"All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties."

Date: Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 11:46 AM
Subject: No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Pushes Past No. 23 Purdue, 24-15
To:

RUTGERS ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

RUTGERS, THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY

1 Scarlet Knight Way | High Point Solutions Stadium, Suite A | Piscataway, NJ 08854

O:732-445-7028 • F: 732-445-8899www.scarletknights.com • @RUAthletics

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Anthony Hernandez (office: 732-445-8119; e-mail: ahernandez@scarletknights.com)

No. 14 Rutgers Wrestling Pushes Past No. 23 Purdue, 24-15

RU ends Big Ten season with 5-4 record versus conference competition

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Feb. 14, 2016) – No. 14 Rutgers wrestling surged from the start at No. 23 Purdue on its way to a 24-15 dual win Sunday afternoon in Holloway Gymnasium on Big Ten Network. The win gives Rutgers (15-5, 5-4) an above .500 mark in Big Ten Conference matches and sets the Scarlet Knights up for a strong dual finish next weekend at home.

“It’s a good win. It’s another Big Ten win and it was a good weekend,” said head coach Scott Goodale. “You come out here, get on the road and get away from home and it’s good to get a win. I thought we wrestled really, really well. Our hammers had some really good guys today, some ranked guys, and our hammers won.”

Rutgers will learn its National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) National Dual Championship Series opponent Sunday evening. RU will host the event next Saturday, Feb. 20 at the Rutgers Athletic Center at 8 p.m.

“To finish 5-4 in the conference, it was important to us,” Goodale said. “We went from 2-7 to 5-4 and I still think we let two slip away. It was a good conference run and we’ll be ready for the Big Ten Tournament.”

The match started with a marathon at 133 pounds, as No. 19 Anthony Giraldo (Guttenberg, N.J.) and Luke Welch took their bout to tiebreakers. The match was tied, 1-1, entering the tiebreaker period, but Welch held Giraldo down then reversed for the 3-1 win.

No. 8 Anthony Ashnault (South Plainfield, N.J.) shut out Danny Sabatello, 8-0, for his second major of the year against the Boilermaker. The bonus-point win was Ashnault’s (23-2) 13th this season.

At 149 pounds, Tyson Dippery (Harrisburg, Pa.) held nothing back in his first period tech fall of Jeremy Golding. Dippery (15-10) shot off the whistle for a takedown and racked up 14 near fall points, tying for the team lead with his third dual tech of the year.

No. 12 157-pounder Richie Lewis (Toms River, N.J.) iced his match with a third-period takedown and the riding time point in a 4-2 win – his 21st of the season – bringing the dual score to 12-3.

In the 165-pound match, No. 8 Anthony Perrotti (Roseland, N.J.) reversed No. 7 Chad Welch into an arm bar in the first period and got to a fall in 1:35 to make it 18-3 at intermission. Perrotti (19-3) is now 5-2 against top-20 opponents.

“This trip was about that match,” Goodale said. “Two nationally ranked guys, that’s one you want to get. And the way he did it, putting an exclamation point on it with a fall, pinning people. When he puts you on your back he can stick you and that’s what we want him to do. Great job out of him.”

The Scarlet Knights scored a win at 174 pounds from Phillip Bakuckas (Hammonton, N.J.), who made it a 7-1 final with riding time. Bakuckas spiked the dual score to 21-3 and improved to 14-11 overall.

Purdue (8-7, 3-9) ended the match strong with three wins in the last four bouts. The Boilermakers defeated RU at 184, 197 and 125 pounds, but there was no coming back against the Scarlet Knights’ early lead.

No. 13 Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.) secured a 13-8 decision against Jacob Aven for the 96th win over his career. He is 22-6 on the season.

The Boilermaker wins to end the dual began with Tanner Lynde, who came back for a 5-4 decision at 184 pounds against Anthony Pafumi (Westfield, N.J.). Drake Stein scored a fall at 197 pounds against Hayden Hrymack (Point Pleasant, N.J.), and Luke Schroeder won, 4-1, at 125 pounds versus Sean McCabe (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.).

Rutgers hosts Drexel at 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 19, followed by its NWCA National Duals opponent at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 20 at the RAC. Both matches will stream live on BTN Plus.

No. 14 Rutgers (15-5, 5-4) 24, No. 23 Purdue (8-7, 3-6) 15

Dual started at 133 pounds

133: Luke Welch (PUR)dec. over No. 19/18/NR Anthony Giraldo (RU), 3-1 (TB-1); Purdue leads, 3-0

141: No. 5/4/5 Anthony Ashnault (RU) major dec. over Danny Sabatello (PUR), 8-0; Rutgers leads, 4-3

149: Tyson Dippery (RU) tech fall over Jeremy Golding (PUR), 16-0 (2:19); Rutgers leads, 9-3

157: No. 12/10/9 Richie Lewis (RU) dec. over No. NR/19/NR Doug Welch (PUR), 4-2; Rutgers leads, 12-3

165: No. 8/5/4 Anthony Perrotti (RU) wins by fall over No. 7/7/11 Chad Welch (PUR), 1:35; Rutgers leads, 18-3

174: Phillip Bakuckas (RU) dec. over Peter Andreotti (PUR), 7-1; Rutgers leads, 21-3

184: Tanner Lynde (PUR) dec. over Anthony Pafumi (RU), 5-4; Rutgers leads, 21-6

197: Drake Stein (PUR)wins by fall over Hayden Hrymack (RU), 0:27; Rutgers leads, 21-12

285: No. 13/14/12 Billy Smith (RU) dec. over Jacob Aven (PUR), 13-8; Rutgers leads, 24-12

125: Luke Schroeder (PUR) dec. over Sean McCabe (RU), 4-1; Rutgers wins, 24-15

Rankings (-/-/-): InterMat / FloWrestling/The Open Mat

NR denotes not ranked

Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers wrestling, follow the program on Twitter (@RUWrestling) and Instagram (@RUWrestling). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.

--RU--

Anthony Hernandez
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
(Women's Soccer, Wrestling, Women’s Lacrosse)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
High Point Solutions Stadium | 1 Scarlet Knight Way, Suite A, Piscataway, NJ 08854
O: (732)-445-8119 | c: (609)-709-0013 | www.ScarletKnights.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the
individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if
you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information
could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or
contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission.

If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version.

Rutgers University - DIA
83 Rockafeller Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854
www.scarletknights.com

Date: Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 11:41 AM
Subject: UW WREST: Terrapinned: Badgers dominate Maryland for second road win
To:

Terrapinned: Badgers dominate Maryland for second road win
Seven of 10 Wisconsin wrestlers earned wins

On the web: http://go.wisc.edu/cg34e8
COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The Wisconsin wrestling team rebounded from Friday's 34-16 loss to No. 10 Ohio State with a dominant win of its own on Sunday, as the Badgers pounded Maryland, 25-12, at the XFINITY Center.

Seven of 10 Wisconsin wrestlers scored first in their match, as each picked up wins.

Andrew Crone set the tone for the rest of the dual with his fifth-consecutive victory—a 5-3 result over Wade Hodges in the 149-pound match.

At 157 pounds, Louis Mascola knotted the dual at three points apiece by fending off TJ Ruschell's third-period comeback to win 10-7, but Isaac Jordan regained the lead for UW in the 165-pound grapple.

The third-ranked wrestler got out to a 5-0 lead in the second period over Tyler Manion before recording his fourth pin of the year at the 3:36 mark.

With the result, Jordan is now a perfect 20-0 in 2015-16 and owns a winning streak of 21-straight matches which dates back to last season.

In the 174-pound matchup, Ricky Robertson met Derrick Evanovich.

Only one period featured scoring, as Robertson picked up an escape and a takedown in the second to shutout his opponent, 3-0.

The 184-pound battle was another low-scoring affair with Ryan Christensen beating Jaron Smith, 5-2.

Christensen went for a takedown in the first period, followed by a reversal in the second and topped it off with a riding time point following the match's completion to earn his 14th win.

Eric Peissig snapped a six-match losing streak with a victory over Garrett Wesneski in the 197-pound bout.

The Badgers competitor did all of his scoring in the second period, registering two escapes and a takedown compared to Wesneski's penalty point and reversal.

Despite surrendering an escape in the third which knotted the score at four apiece, Peissig amassed enough time on top throughout the match to earn a riding time point and seal a 5-4 triumph.

Brock Horwath shut out his opponent, Youssif Hemida, in the heavyweight match, scoring an escape, a four-point near fall, two takedowns and a riding time point.

The 10-0 result marked Horwath's second major decision win of the season.

Johnny Jimenez snagged his 13th victory, defeating Michael Beck, 7-2.

Wisconsin's 125-pounder entered the third period with a 3-0 lead. Beck notched a takedown to narrow Jimenez's lead to just one point but the St. Charles, Illinois, native responded with an escape, a takedown and a riding time point to seal the deal.

In the only matchup featuring two ranked opponents, No. 7 Ryan Taylor was barely beat by No. 16 Geoffrey Alexander at 133 pounds.

Alexander got out to a 7-1 lead through two periods but Taylor fought back.

He went for two takedowns and an escape in the third compared to his foe's escape but the comeback was not enough, as Alexander won, 8-6.

All four of Taylor's losses this season have come at the hands of a ranked opponent.

The dual was capped with Billy Rappo pinning Luke Rowh at the 6:05 mark of the 141-pound match.

Next up, Wisconsin will compete in its third-straight dual away from Madison on February 18 at Central Michigan. The event is set to begin at 6 p.m.

149: Andrew Crone (WISC) decision over Wade Hodges (MD), 5-3 (0-3)
157: Lou Mascola (MD) decision over TJ Ruschell (WISC), 10-7 (3-3)
165: No. 3 Issac Jordan (WISC) fall over Tyler Manion (MD), 3:37 (3-9)
174: Ricky Robertson (WISC) decision over Derrick Evanovich (MD), 3-0 (3-12)
184: Ryan Christensen (WISC) decision over Jaron Smith (MD), 5-2 (3-15)
197: Eric Peissig (WISC) decision over Garrett Wesneski (MD), 5-4 (3-18)
285: Brock Horwath (WISC) major decision over Youssif Hemdia (MD), 10-0 (3-22)
125: Johnny Jimenez (WISC) decision over Michael Beck (MD), 7-2 (3-25)
133: No. 16 Geoffrey Alexander (MD) decision over No. 7 Ryan Taylor (WISC), 8-6 (6-25)
141: Billy Rappo (MD) fall over Luke Rowh (WISC), 6:05 (12-25)

Cowboy Wrestling Stomps North Carolina in Final Home Dual, 33-6

STILLWATER – The third-ranked Oklahoma State wrestling team defeated No. 14 North Carolina, 33-6, on senior night in a dual full of upsets.

The Cowboys (13-2) extend their win streak to 11 with the victory over the Tar Heels.

"It was a good match to watch,” coach John Smith said. “If I were up in the stands I'd become a big wrestling fan really quick. There was a lot of action and you can tell Coleman (Scott) has really put his stamp on that program. He doesn't have guys sitting around; they're looking for points. Those two matches at 149 and 174 was what needs to happen. You've got to score points and we did that.”

The first upset of the night came at 141 pounds, where Dean Heil suffered his first loss of the season to No. 11 Joey Ward. The match went in to sudden victory, where Ward got the takedown and claimed the win.

Anthony Collica, ranked No. 12 in the nation at 149 pounds, quickly redeemed the Cowboy loss picking up his fourth pin a row, this time over No. 5 Evan Henderson. Collica led the Tar Heel, 5-4, going into the third period and started in the top position. At the 1:25 mark, Collica put Henderson to his back for the pin. The Cowboy extends his streak to six-straight matches resulting in bonus points.

“I knew I had to come out and wrestle hard, and to keep attacking,” Collica said. “I gave up the first takedown, but pushed through it and grabbed the next one. I felt him wearing down a little bit, so I took advantage of that.”

In the final upset of the night, Chandler Rogers handed No. 2 Ethan Ramos his third loss of the season in a wild match. Rogers went up early with takedown and a four-point nearfall and Ramos wasn’t able to overcome the Cowboy’s lead. Rogers went on to score a reversal, nearfall and three escapes to win the bout, 13-8.

“I wasn’t expecting it,” Rogers said. “I try to take it one match at a time. Coach always tells me that rankings don’t matter, and what matters is who wants it more. I never try to get too overconfident, but it’s good to be confident in yourself and to put your best foot forward. The whole time before the match, I was telling myself that if I stick to the plan and do everything right, things might go my way. No one goes out there planning on beating the No. 2 guy in the nation, so I was real happy with it.”

The night was also about saying farewell to three treasured seniors who wrestled their final matches in Gallagher-Iba Arena.

Eddie Klimara began the dual with bonus points for the Cowboys, earning a technical fall over Cody Karns in 4:40. The senior wowed the crowd with four takedowns and two four-point nearfalls to dominate the Tar Heel. Klimara wrapped up his career in Gallagher-Iba Arena with a 27-3 home record, including a 7-1 mark this year.

“It was a great experience wrestling for the Cowboys in Gallagher-Iba,” Klimara said. “It's a sad thing that it was my last home dual but the fans and coaches have been awesome, and it was one of the best choices I've made in my life to come to school at OSU.”

Senior and top-ranked Alex Dieringer amassed 28 wins in Gallagher-Iba after defeating No. 9 John Staudenmayer with an 11-1 major decision at 165 pounds. After a slow start in the first, wrapping up the first three minutes scoreless, he turned it on in the second period, scoring nine points and took a huge lead into the third period. Dieringer extends his win streak to 73 and owns the fourth-longest win streak in Cowboy Wrestling history. He trails Mike Sheets by just one match for third place on the all-time list.

"It was a good feeling to see all the support tonight,” Dieringer said. “These fans are awesome and that's one of the big reasons I came here. They've been loyal and true since I got here and I can't thank them enough for that."

The final senior of the night was Austin Marsden, ranked fifth at heavyweight. The Illinois native, went out in style, picking up his 100th career win in front of a rowdy home crowd. Scoring more bonus points for the Pokes, Marsden stayed consistent throughout the match, picking up a takedown in each period. He also scored two sets of nearfall points, which put the match in his control and gave him a 16-1 tech fall over Cory Daniel.

“It was great timing,” Marsden said. “My dad kept telling me, ‘you better not lose because I’m coming down for senior night and for the big 100.’ So I told him I would take care of it. It was very humbling to be able to be a part of this program, and to be able to leave a mark in it as well. I was just very fortunate to be able to wrestle for Oklahoma State.”

The Cowboys also picked up big wins at 133, 157 and 184 pounds to push the Pokes to their 11th-straight dual win.

Oklahoma State will travel to State College, Pa., to face No. 1 Penn State in the NWCA Bowl Dual Series championship match on Sunday at 4 p.m. CT.

No. 3 Oklahoma State 33, No. 14 North Carolina 6Feb. 19, 2016 :: Gallagher-Iba Arena :: Attendance – 2,287Referee: Derek Lark

125: No. 6 Eddie Klimara (OSU) TF Cody Karns (UNC), 18-2; 4:40

133: Gary Wayne Harding (OSU) MD James Szymanski (UNC), 14-6
141: No. 11 Joey Ward (UNC) dec. No. 1 Dean Heil (UNC), 3-1 SV1

149: No. 12 Anthony Collica (OSU) fall No. 5 Evan Henderson (UNC); 5:35

157: Ryan Blees (OSU) dec. Robert Henderson (UNC), 6-5

165: No. 1 Alex Dieringer (OSU) MD No. 9 John Staudenmayer (UNC), 11-1
174: Chandler Rogers (OSU) dec. No. 2 Ethan Ramos (UNC), 13-8
184: No. 13 Nolan Boyd (OSU) dec. No. 19 Alex Utley (UNC), 10-6
197: Chip Ness (UNC) dec. Preston Weigel (OSU), 5-3
285: No. 5 Austin Marsden (OSU) TF Cory Daniel (UNC), 16-1; 6:47

Date: Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 7:36 PM
Subject: WRESTLING: No. 13 Rutgers (16-5, 5-4) 18, No. 7 Lehigh (13-3, 7-0) 15
To:

No. 13 Rutgers (16-5, 5-4) 18, No. 7 Lehigh (13-3, 7-0) 15

Dual started at 125 pounds

Attendance: 1,855

125: No. 13/14/12 Darian Cruz (Lehigh) over Sean McCabe (Rutgers) (MD 15-7) ; Lehigh leads, 4-0

133: Mason Beckman (Lehigh) over Josh Patrick (Rutgers) (MD 19-7); Lehigh leads, 8--0

141: No. 5/4/5 Anthony Ashnault (Rutgers) over No. 17/20/17 Randy Cruz (Lehigh) (Dec 9-2); Lehigh leads, 8-3

149: Tyson Dippery (Rutgers) over Ian Brown (Lehigh) (Dec 6-0); Lehigh leads, 8-6

157: No. 12/9/9 Richie Lewis (Rutgers) over Drew Longo (Lehigh) (Dec 12-7); Rutgers leads, 9-8

165: No. 7/5/4 Anthony Perrotti (Rutgers) over Ryan Preisch (Lehigh) (Dec 8-5); Rutgers leads, 12-8

174: Phil Bakuckas (Rutgers) over Gordon Wolf (Lehigh) (Dec 9-2); Rutgers leads, 15-8

184: No. 3/2/4 Nate Brown (Lehigh) over No. 20/19/20 Nicholas Gravina (Rutgers) (Dec 3-2); Rutgers leads, 15-11

197: No. 17/17/15 John Bolich (Lehigh) over Hayden Hrymack (Rutgers) (MD 11-0); Match tied, 15-15

285: No. 13/15/12 Billy Smith (Rutgers) over No. 14/11/13 Max Max Wessell (Lehigh) (TB-1 3-2); Rutgers wins, 18-15

Rankings (-/-/-): InterMat / FloWrestling/The Open Mat

NR denotes not ranked

Anthony Hernandez
(Women's Soccer, Wrestling, Women’s Lacrosse)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
High Point Solutions Stadium | 1 Scarlet Knight Way, Suite A, Piscataway, NJ 08854
O: (732)-445-8119 | c: (609)-709-0013 | www.ScarletKnights.com

Athletic Communications

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Molly Sweeney (215) 895-2084

February 20, 2016

Wrestling Downs Penn for Sixth Straight Victory

PHILADELPHIA - The Drexel wrestling team secured its sixth win in a row as it defeated Penn, 23-16 on Saturday night at the Daskalakis Athletic Center to close out its regular season schedule on a high note. The victory marked the first time the Dragons have overcome the Quakers in their last 13 match-ups, with Drexel's last win in the series coming on Feb. 18, 1989.

The win also gave Drexel claim to the Abner's Cheesesteak Trophy for the first time since the tradition between the two neighboring schools began three years ago. Along with this, the squad's six consecutive wins mark the first win streak of this length for the Dragons since 2006.

Zack Fuentes started the Dragons off by pinning Penn's Jeremy Schwartz in the second period of the 125 match to give Drexel an early 6-0 advantage. David Pearce followed with a strong 4-1 decision at 133 over Caleb Richardson, who was ranked 27th in the NCAA Coaches' Poll going into this weekend's competition. Then back-to-back major decisions from Kevin Devoy Jr. and No. 11 Matthew Cimato at 141 and 149 respectively would add to the Drexel advantage, putting them ahead in the team score, 17-0 just four matches into the dual.

Penn began to retaliate with the 157 match as No. 25 May Bethea pinned Mike Comunale to cut Drexel's lead to 17-6. The Quakers' Brooks Martino went on to edge Austin Rose in the 165 match, 5-3 and then No. 13 Casey Kent took a 9-1 major from Nick Elmer to bring the team score to 17-13. Penn's No. 15 Lorenzo Thomas would bring the Quakers within one point as he earned an 8-3 decision over Stephen Loiseau at 184.

With the Dragons lead cut to 17-16 with two matches to go, Joshua Murphy came out to wrestle at 197. Murphy took a 1-0 lead with an escape in the second period, but then Penn's Joe Heyob earned an escape of his own to even the score at the start of the third period. It seemed as if the match would go to overtime as time wound down in regulation, but then Murphy secured a crucial takedown with just one second remaining to earn a 3-1 victory and extend Drexel's lead to 20-16.

Needing to hold the Quakers off for the last match, Joey Goodhart came out and fought off Penn's Patrik Garren at heavyweight. Goodhart was able to keep control of the hard-fought match and built up almost two minutes of riding time. An escape to start the third period gave Goodhart even more of the advantage and he would go on to earn a 2-0 victory, which in turn secured a 23-16 win on the day for the Dragons.

With the win, the Dragons finish the regular season at 10-7 overall and 6-3 in EIWA action. The loss moves the Quakers to 6-6, 6-5 EIWA.

Next up, the Dragons will travel to Princeton, N.J. to compete in the 2016 EIWA Championships on March 5 and 6.

Drexel 23, Penn 16

125: Zack Fuentes (DU) WBF Jeremy Schwartz (Penn) @ 4:59

133: David Pearce (DU) DEC No. 27 Caleb Richardson (Penn), 4-1

141: Kevin Devoy Jr. (DU) MAJ A.J. Vindici (Penn), 11-3

149: No. 11 Matthew Cimato (DU) MAJ Eric Friedman (Penn), 10-2

157: No. 25 May Bethea (Penn) WBF Mike Comunale (DU) @ 2:47

165: Brooks Martino (Penn) DEC Austin Rose (DU), 5-3

174: No. 13 Casey Kent (Penn) MAJ Nick Elmer (DU), 9-1

184: No. 15 Lorenzo Thomas (Penn) DEC Stephen Loiseau (DU), 8-3

197: Joshua Murphy (DU) DEC Joe Heyob (Penn), 3-1

285: Joey Goodhart (DU) DEC Patrik Garren (Penn), 2-0

-DU-

---

Molly Sweeney

Department of Athletics

Drexel University

3141 Chestnut Street

Philadelphia, PA 19104

Tel: 215.895.2084

drexeldragons.com

I AM A DRAGON!

Date: Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 2:03 PM
Subject: UW WREST: Senior Day Success: UW owns Northwestern in season’s final dual
To:

Senior Day Success: UW owns Northwestern in season’s final dualNine Badgers combined to tally 38 team points in 35-point victory
On the web: http://uwbadgers.com/news/2016/2/21/WREST_0221165738.aspx?path=wrestling
MADISON, Wis. – The Badgers saved their best for last.

The Wisconsin wrestling team celebrated Senior Day on Sunday at the Field House before dominating Northwestern, 38-3, behind a major decision, two technical falls and a pin.

Other than their 43-0 walloping of Division II UW-Whitewater on Nov. 12, the win was easily the Badgers' most lopsided. Previously, Wisconsin's biggest point differential in a victory was 13 points against Maryland on Feb. 14.

Seniors Brett Hochstaetter, Nic Veling and Brock Horwath were honored prior to the dual.

UW maintained control from start to finish, with Isaac Jordan piling on the points against Luke Norland.

The second-ranked 165-pounder used two takedowns, a two-point near fall and a four-point near fall to get out to a comfortable 10-1 lead after one period.

Choosing to start the second on the bottom, Jordan quickly escaped and added two takedowns to earn the technical fall victory, 17-2.

The result marked Jordan's 21st-consecutive triumph to start the season and extended his winning streak to 22-straight, dating back to last year. It was also his highest point total and first technical fall win of 2015-16. Jordan last won by 15 points (19-4) on Feb. 6, 2015 against Nick Visicaro of Rutgers.

At 174 pounds, Ricky Robertson's win proved to be much more challenging, as he recorded a takedown with just 15 seconds remaining to beat Mitch Sliga in a 5-2 decision.

Ryan Christensen added to Wisconsin's lead with a major decision in the 184-pound grapple.

The Wisconsin wrestler did not allow his competitor, Regis Durbin, to reach the scoreboard until there were only 27 seconds remaining in the match.

He went for three takedowns and his first four-point near fall of the season in the 14-1 win.

While the 197-pound and heavyweight matches are often slow-moving, less thrilling affairs, Eric Peissig and Horwath brought plenty of excitement to the mat on Sunday.

Peissig kept pace with Jacob Berkowitz early on but trailed, 4-2, after the first period.

Berkowitz, starting the second on the bottom, escaped to extend his lead. Peissig responded soon after, though, with a takedown and then proceeded to pin the NU wrestler 4:02 into the match.

The fall was the Menomonie, Wisconsin, native's second of his career. He last pinned an opponent on Dec. 13, 2013, when he defeated Northern Iowa's Kyle Beal.

Horwath followed up Pessig's impressive win with one of his own.

The heavyweight match was a stalemate through the first period and much of the second.

Wisconsin's 285-pounder carried a one-point lead into the third but with Conan Jennings amassing over a minute of riding time, the match was a virtual tie.

Just as it looked like time would expire and the wrestlers would reset for the first sudden victory period, Horwath lunged at Jennings' legs to register a takedown with a mere split second to spare before the buzzer sounded.

The point was reviewed and confirmed, giving Horwath a victory in his last match at the Field House.

In the 125-pound match, Johnny Jimenez sweetened his birthday by earning a 7-3 win over Garrison White. He is now 14-11 on the season.

No. 11 Ryan Taylor met No. 19 Dominick Malone at 133 pounds which was the only bout of the dual to feature two ranked wrestlers.

Following a scoreless first period, Malone picked up an escape to Taylor's takedown in the second.

A neutral start in the third allowed Taylor to earn another takedown, helping him to a 5-1 win.

Despite having just eight matches under his belt this year, Taylor has matched up with six ranked opponents. Sunday's win gave him his second over a ranked wrestler, improving his record to 5-4 in 2015-16.

A Wildcats forfeit at 141 pounds gave Luke Rowh his ninth win of the campaign.

Andrew Crone challenged his fifth ranked opponent in the last eight matches, as he met No. 6 Jason Tsirtis in the 149-pound battle.

After no scoring through two periods, Tsirtis picked up an escape, takedown and riding time point in the third compared to Crone's escape to win, 4-1.

Crone now posts a 2-6 record against rated wrestlers, with three of the losses coming by three points or less.

TJ Ruschell wrapped up the dual with a bang, as he gathered six takedowns and two four-point near falls to defeat Anthony Petrone, 20-5.

The win was his most dominant of the year and snapped an 11-match slide that dated back to Dec. 5.

Wisconsin will next compete at the Big Ten Championships, March 5-6, at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa.

125: Jimenez (WIS) wins by Dec. over White (NU), 7-3
133: Taylor (WIS) wins by Dec. over Malone (NU), 5-1
141: Rowh (WIS) wins by Forfeit over Oster (NU)
149: Tsirtis (NU) wins by Dec. over Crone (WIS), 4-1
157: Ruschell (WIS) wins by TF over Petrone (NU), 20-5
165: Jordan (WIS) wins by TF over Norland (NU), 17-2
174: Robertson (WIS) wins by Dec. over Sliga (NU), 5-2
184: Christensen (WIS) wins by MD over Durbin (NU), 14-1
197: Pessig (WIS) wins by Fall over Berkowitz (NU) at 4:02
Hwt.: Horwath (WIS) wins by Dec. over Jennings (NU), 3-1

Date: Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 1:58 PM
Subject: No. 24 Pitt Wrestling Falls to Clarion Based on Criteria
To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 21, 2016

No. 24 Pitt Wrestling Falls to Clarion Based on Criteria

Panthers finish regular season 10-7 overall

CLARION, Pa. – The 24th-ranked Pitt wrestling team (10-7, 2-3 ACC) fell to Clarion (7-11, 2-4 EWL) in its final dual of the season, 19-18, Sunday afternoon. The Golden Eagles came out victorious based on second criteria.

Although falling as a team, individually five Panthers recorded wins including sophomore Dom Forys who is riding a six-match win streak.

At 125 pounds, freshman LJ Bentley got Pitt started with a 12-3 major decision over Clarion’s Patrick Dewitt. Bentley finished the dual season 9-5 and is 8-3 in major decisions.

Forys then picked up his 24th win this season as he defeated Roshaun Cooley 17-4 in a technical fall (4:23). The Pittsburgh native now has 41 career wins.

Redshirt sophomore Nick Zanetta stepped in at 141 pounds and dropped a 4-0 decision to No. 17 Brock Zacherl, giving Clarion its first win of the dual.

Freshman Robert Lee returned to the win column as he collected a hard-fought 5-2 decision at 149 pounds over Brodie Zacherl, extending Pitt’s lead to 12-3.

The Golden Eagles’ second win of the day came at 157 pounds as Jake Keller defeated redshirt senior Ronnie Garbinsky in an 8-5 decision.

At 165 pounds, redshirt sophomore Cody Wiercioch squeezed out a 13-12 decision over Evan Delong. Entering the third period, Delong led 10-5 but Wiercioch battled his way back to tie the match 12-12 with 25 seconds left. With riding time in favor of Wiercioch, he went on to collect the win.

Clarion fought back to win the following three bouts, two of which were in overtime and one a pin. The pin at 184 pounds would later lead to the deciding factor of the dual.

Trailing 18-15 entering the final bout, it once again came down to redshirt sophomore Ryan Solomon at 285 pounds. Solomon battled his way to a 7-5 win over Evan Daley, but unfortunately the decision wasn’t enough.

The Panthers finish the regular season 10-7 overall and 2-3 in conference action. Pitt returns to the mats March 6 for the 2016 ACC Championships hosted by Virginia.

For all things Pitt wrestling, follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

125: No. 26 LJ Bentley (P) maj. dec. Patrick Dewitt (CU), 12-3 – Pitt leads 4-0

133: No. 22 Dom Forys (P) tech. fall Roshaun Cooley (CU), 17-2 4:23 – Pitt leads 9-0

141: No. 17 Brock Zacherl (CU) dec. Nick Zanetta (P), 4-0 – Pitt leads 9-3

149: Robert Lee (P) dec. Brodie Zacherl (CU), 5-2 – Pitt leads 12-3

157: Jake Keller (CU) dec. Ronnie Garbinsky (P), 8-5 – Pitt leads 12-6

165: No. 25 Cody Wiercioch (P) dec. Evan Delong (CU), 13-12 – Pitt leads 15-6

174: Michael Pavasko (CU) dec. No. 26 TeShan Campbell, SV-1 7-5 – Pitt leads 15-9

184: Dominic Rigous (CU) pin Zach Bruce (P), 2:59 – Tied 15-15

197: Dustin Conti (CU) dec. No. 29 Nick Bonaccorsi (P), SV-1 7-5 – Clarion leads 18-15

285: No. 18 Ryan Solomon (P) dec. Evan Daley (CU), 7-5 – Tied 18-18

*Clarion wins based on criteria 3.15.2

Criteria explanation: http://news.theopenmat.com/2013/11/dual-meet-scoring-advisory-criteria-for-settling-dual-meet-ties/

Julie Jurich Assistant Director of Media Relations

Men’s Soccer, Wrestling, Women’s TennisUniversity of Pittsburgh | Department of Athletics
Petersen Events Center | 3719 Terrace St., Room 2092 | Pittsburgh, PA 15261
jjurich@athletics.pitt.edu
Cell: (412) 652-5585 | Office: (412) 648-8245

website | map

INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN MAY INCLUDE PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION SUBJECT TO PROTECTION UNDER FEDERAL LAW. THIS INFORMATION SHOULD BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. RE-DISCLOSURE OF THIS INFORMATION IS PROHIBITED ABSENT SPECIFIC WRITTEN CONSENT OR AS OTHERWISE PERMITTED BY LAW OR REGULATION.

Date: Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 1:01 PM
Subject: AU Wrestling Downs George Mason in Regular-Season Finale
To:

AU Wrestling Downs George Mason in Regular-Season Finale

Eagles win seven of 10 bouts

FAIRFAX, Va. – Winning seven of 10 bouts, the American University wrestling team closed out its 2015-16 dual slate with a 27-11 victory at George Mason on Sunday afternoon.

The Eagles end the season with a 6-9 dual record, while the Patriots fall to 7-14 on the season.

The match started at 125 pounds, where AU senior captain David Terao, ranked 14th in the nation, controlled the tempo throughout his bout. Leading 13-6 in the third period, Terao put his opponent on his back with 22 seconds on the clock, giving American the early 6-0 lead.

George Mason closed the gap in the team scoring with a tech fall at 133 pounds, but American extended its lead with a win at 141 pounds by redshirt senior Tyler Scotton. Scotton’s takedown at the buzzer at the end of the first period proved to be the difference, as he held on for a 3-1 decision.

At 149 pounds, junior Tom Page dropped a hard-fought match to Blake Roulo. After heading into the final period with a 7-2 deficit, Page battled back to cut the margin to one point. However, Roulo scored a last-second takedown to earn the 10-7 win for the Patriots.

Senior captain John Boyle, ranked 14th at 157 pounds, faced a tough opponent in Greg Flournoy, GMU’s top wrestler. After going scoreless in the first period, Boyle earned the first point of the match with a second-period escape, but Flournoy tied it up with an escape in the third period. Tied 1-1 at the end of regulation, Boyle came up with the only takedown of the match in sudden victory, winning the bout with 26 seconds on the clock.

The Eagles increased their lead as redshirt senior Mitchell Wightman scored a 4-0 decision, riding out his opponent in the third period. Meanwhile, the Patriots escaped with an 8-6 decision at 174 pounds, despite a strong third period by AU sophomore Michael Eckhart.

Junior Jason Grimes added another win for the Eagles, earning a 6-1 decision at 184 pounds with a late takedown in the third period. Meanwhile, sophomore Jeric Kasunic recorded his team-leading eighth fall of the season at 197 pounds, pinning his opponent in 58 seconds to clinch the team victory for the Eagles.

In the final bout of the afternoon, freshman heavyweight Jake Scanlan posted the Eagles’ final victory, using a first period takedown to stake an early lead before holding on for a 3-2 decision.

“The last three dual meets, we’ve been wrestling really well,” said American head coach Teague Moore. “Things that we’ve been working on all season are finally happening for us.

“With this dual especially, in a lot of those close battles, we did the little things that we’ve been working on. I’m really excited for these guys because the hard work they’ve been putting in is now paying off.”

With the regular season under wraps, the Eagles will now prepare for the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships, which will be held March 5-6 at Princeton University.

“I don’t want to see us change much from what we’re doing now,” said Moore. “I feel like we’re firing on all cylinders. We manage our weight well, we live the right lifestyle—this is when all of those things really start coming into play for us.

“We’re going to go home and focus on individual things that need to be done, but the EIWA’s are essentially just another tournament. We can’t make it any bigger than it is and I think these guys are ready for it.”

American 27, George Mason 11

125: No. 14 David Terao (AU) fall Ibrahim Banduka, 6:38

133: Vince Rodriguez (GMU) tech fall James Giaccia, 16-1 (2:23)

141: Tyler Scotton (AU) dec. Tejon Anthony, 3-1

149: Blake Roulo (GMU) dec. Tom Page, 10-7

157: No. 14 John Boyle (AU) dec. Greg Flournoy, 3-1 (SV1)

165: Mitchell Wightman (AU) dec. Patrick Davis, 4-0

174: Ryan Forrest (GMU) dec. Michael Eckhart, 8-6

184: Jason Grimes (AU) dec. Luke Ludke, 6-1

197: Jeric Kasunic (AU) fall Cameron Houston, 0:58

HWT: Jake Scanlan (AU) dec. Matt Voss, 3-2

MELISSA MCKEOWN
American University
o: 202.885.3030
c: 719.213.1509
e: mckeown@american.edu

Wrestling
#5 Tech topples #8 Michigan 24-11
Hokies beat Wolverines as part of 2016 National Duals Championship Series
Read the story
- hokiesports.com to go

http://www.hokiesports.com/wrestling/recaps/20160221aaa.html

Ann Arbor, MI. – The Virginia Tech wrestling team closed out its dual meet season dismantling eighth-ranked Michigan, 24-11, as part of the 2016 National Duals Championship Series.

The dual started with a dramatic double overtime win at the 125-weight class. No. 3 Joey Dance came out on top with an 11-9 decision over No. 20 Conor Youtsey after his second round sudden victory takedown.

Decisions from Solomon Chishko, Nick Brascetta, Jared Haught, and Ty Walz kept the momentum going throughout the dual.

David McFadden and Zach Epperly both came up big with back-to-back bonus points for the Hokies. An 11-3 major decision at 165 and a 20-5 technical fall at 174 put nine team points up on the board for the Hokies moving into the final bouts of the day.

No. 7 Jared Haught locked in the dual for the Hokies yet again after an exciting 5-1 decision over No. 6. Tied at one throughout the entire matchup, Haught got a late takedown followed by two near fall points to take a 5-1 lead in the last ten seconds of the match.

No. 3 Ty Walz and No. 4 Adam Coon met for the third time in two seasons, with Walz picking up a 3-2 decision to end the dual.

The Hokies will return to action on Sunday, March 3, when the team heads to Charlottesville for the 2016 ACC Championships. Tickets are available for sale here and fans can watch all the action live on ESPN3.

Dresser Sounds Off
“We came out flat today until Nick Brascetta hit the mat at 157. He ignited the team and we rolled from there! I’m so proud of this staff and this team. We have been on the road for the past four weekends in front of a lot of crowds cheering against us and we ran the table. I love this team and their fight! We are excited for the postseason!”

Hokie Highlights
· The Hokies finish the regular season with five consecutive undefeated weekends dating back to mid January
· Tech closes the season on a nine-dual win streak, with five victories over ranked opponents: then-No. 15 UNC, then-No. 18 UVA, then-No. 17 Pitt, then-No. 3 NC State and #8 Michigan
· No. 3 Joey Dance avenged a 2015 season-ending loss to No. 20 Conor Youtsey today with a dramatic 11-9 sudden victory overtime decision
· No. 3 Ty Walz moves to 3-0 against No. 4 Adam Coon with today’s decision, his second this season after opening the year with a 9-3 win at the NWCA All-Star Classic

#5 Virginia Tech 24, #8 Michigan 11
125: No. 3 Joey Dance dec. No. 20 Conor Youtsey, 11-9 (SVOT)
133: No. 18 Rossi Bruno dec, Dennis Gustafson, 5-1
141: No. 8 Solomon Chishko dec. George Fisher, 6-5
149: No. 6 Alec Pantaleo tech. fall Sal Mastriani , 19-4
157: No. 5 Nick Brascetta dec. No. 13 Brian Murphy, 4-3
165: No. 11 David McFadden maj. dec. Jordan Amine 11-3
174: No. 3 Zach Epperly tech. fall Aaron Calderon, 20-5
184: No. 2 Domenic Abounader dec. No. 5 Zack Zavatsky, 5-3 (TB1)
197: No. 7 Jared Haught dec. No. 6 Max Huntley 5-1
HWT: No. 3 Ty Walz dec. No. 4 Adam Coon, 3-2

Date: Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Subject: ODU Wrestling Battles No. 19 CMU to the Wire on Senior Day
To:

NORFOLK, Va. -- The Old Dominion wrestling team (6-13, 1-7 MAC) fell to No. 19 Central Michigan, 21-15, in front of an electrifying crowd at the Jim Jarrett Athletic Administration Gymnasium Sunday afternoon in its final dual meet of the season. CMU prevailed on the strength of a late third-period takedown from eighth-ranked senior Mike Ottinger over redshirt freshman Jared Swan.

Beginning at 184, No. 11 Jack Dechow turned in a huge third period, scoring an escape, a takedown and rideout to defeat an upset-minded Jordan Ellingwood, 4-3.

At 197, Austin Severn knotted the dual meet score at 3-3 with an 8-2 decision over Kaleab Fetahi. Senior Jackson Lewis kept the momentum rolling for the Chippewas, knocking off Austin Coburn, 5-3, in a battle of 197 pounders who bumped up to heavyweight.

After a forfeit win for Brandon Jeske at 125, Central Michigan's Corey Keener came out swinging with a headlock to pin Josh Markham in 58 seconds. CMU lead ODU 12-9 at the halfway point.

In the feature matchup of the afternoon, No. 16 Chris Mecate prevailed over No. 14 Zach Horan with a takedown in the final five seconds of overtime to tie the dual meet, 12-12.

Central Michigan responded at 149, as ninth-ranked Justin Oliver upended No. 8 Alexander Richardson, 5-4, in an action-packed nailbiter to put CMU up, 15-12. No. 16 Luke Smith followed up with a 3-0 decision over Devin Geoghegan at 157.

Seldon Wright secured two takedowns and a stalling point to earn his fourth consecutive win, knocking off Central Michigan's Colin Heffernan, 5-3, who entered the bout ranked No. 13 down a few weight classes at 149.

In a thriller at 174, redshirt freshman Jared Swan made his dual meet debut for the Monarchs and led No. 8 Mike Ottinger for much of the match after securing an ankle-pick takedown in the first period, but the fifth-year senior Ottinger prevailed late with a 5-4 decision to seal the win for the Chippewas.

ODU will now prepare for the individual MAC Championships at Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti on March 5-6.

No. 19 Central Michigan 21, Old Dominion 15
184:
#11 Jack Dechow (ODU) dec. Jordan Ellingwood (CMU), 4-3
197: Austin Severn (CMU) dec. Kaleab Fetahi (ODU), 8-2
285: Jackson Lewis (CMU) dec. Austin Coburn (ODU), 5-3
125: Brandon Jeske (ODU) won by forfeit
133: Corey Keener (CMU) pin Josh Markham (ODU), 0:58
141: #16 Chris Mecate (ODU) dec. #14 Zach Horan (CMU), 3-1 OT
149: #9 Justin Oliver (CMU) dec. #8 Alexander Richardson (ODU), 5-4
157: #16 Luke Smith (CMU) dec. Devin Geoghegan (ODU), 3-0
165: Seldon Wright (ODU) dec. #13 (at 149) Colin Heffernan (CMU), 5-3
174: #8 Mike Ottinger (CMU) dec. Jared Swan (ODU), 5-4

--
Tristan Warner
Old Dominion University
4509 Elkhorn Avenue
Norfolk, Virginia 23529
www.ODUSports.com

FARGO, N.D. – The 22nd-ranked South Dakota State University wrestling team closed out the dual season Sunday afternoon with a 23-14 victory over North Dakota State in Big 12 Conference action at Bentson Bunker Fieldhouse.

In sweeping the season series from the Bison, the Jackrabbits, who won 13 of their final 14 duals, improved to 14-6 overall and 6-2 against Big 12 opponents. NDSU dropped to 4-6 overall, 2-2 in the Big 12.

Sunday’s dual followed much the same script as the two teams’ December meeting at Frost Arena. After NDSU’s 17th-ranked Joshua Rodriguez opened the dual with a pin of Ben Gillette at 125 pounds, the Jackrabbits reeled off wins in the next six weight classes. Brance Simms began the streak with an 8-0 major decision over Nico Colunga at 133 pounds.

The next four Jackrabbit victories were all by decision as Seth Gross, Alex Kocer, fifth-ranked Cody Pack and Luke Zilverberg extended the SDSU lead to 17-6. All four SDSU wrestlers have now won 20 or matches this season, with Zilverberg reaching the 20-win mark on Sunday. Pack improved to 25-2 overall.

David Kocer recorded the sixth and final win of the streak with a 10-2 major decision of Tyler McNutt at 174 pounds. It was Kocer’s team-leading 26th win of the season.

Fourth-ranked Hayden Zillmer of NDSU ended the Jackrabbit string with a 21-5 technical fall victory over Brady Ayers in the 184-pound division and Bison heavyweight Ben Tynan notched a 5-3 sudden-victory decision over Alex Macki.

Fifteenth-ranked Nate Rotert sealed the Jackrabbit victory with a 10-4 decision over Charley Popp in the 197-pound weight class. A sophomore from Spearfish, Rotert improved to 24-8 on the season.

The Jackrabbits return to action at the Big 12 Conference Championship March 5-6 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

#22 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 23, NORTH DAKOTA STATE 14
125: #17 Joshua Rodriguez (NDSU) def. Ben Gillette (SDSU), by fall 6:31
133: Brance Simms (SDSU) major dec. Nico Colunga (NDSU), 8-0
141: Seth Gross (SDSU) dec. Mitch Bengston (NDSU), 5-3
149: Alex Kocer (SDSU) dec. Clay Ream (NDSU), 9-6
157: #5 Cody Pack (SDSU) dec. Kyle Gilva (NDSU), 8-2
165: Luke Zilverberg (SDSU) dec. Grant Nehring (NDSU), 14-7
174: David Kocer (SDSU) major dec. Tyler McNutt (NDSU), 10-2
184: #4 Hayden Zillmer (NDSU) tech. fall Brady Ayers (SDSU), 21-5 (6:24)
197: #15 Nate Rotert (SDSU) dec. Charley Popp (NDSU), 10-4
285: Ben Tynan (NDSU) dec. Alex Macki (SDSU), 5-3 [SV-1]

Jason Hove

rom: Meredith Rieder <mrieder@duaa.duke.edu>
Date: Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 12:16 PM
Subject: Duke WRES: Excellent Team Effort Lifts Duke Past No. 23 Purdue, 28-18
To:

Outstanding Team Effort Lifts Duke Past No. 23 Purdue, 28-18

February 21, 2016

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Four different Blue Devils scored bonus points to lead the Duke wrestling team to a convincing 28-18 victory over No. 23 Purdue Sunday afternoon. The Blue Devils split their Big Ten road swing after losing a heartbreaker to Northwestern, 20-19, based on criteria Friday night.

The win over the Boilermakers is the third victory overall for the Blue Devils over a current Big Ten program and is the second ranked win for the Blue Devils this season. Duke’s previous Big Ten wins came last season versus Maryland and Michigan State.

Sophomore Thayer Atkins got Duke (6-9) off to a fast start, pinning Luke Schroder with 57 seconds left in the first period. The fall was his first of his career and launched the Blue Devils in front 6-0 right off the bat.

Duke and Purdue had off-setting forfeits at 133 and 157 pounds, respectively, leaving the Blue Devils with a 12-6 lead with seven matches remaining.

The Boilermakers scored a big four-point major decision at 141 as Danny Sabatello took down Zach Finesilver 13-5. Sabatello struck early on the Duke redshirt freshman en route to his 41st career dual victory.

At 149 pounds, twin brother Mitch Finesilver responded with a 9-1 major decision of his own. Ranked 10th nationally, the sophomore scored an early takedown but was unable to get Jeremy Golding to his back to add to his lead. After building his lead to 7-1 with short time remaining, Mitch left no doubt that he was going to get the major decision as he got the necessary takedown for the 9-1 major decision.

Redshirt junior and 18th-ranked Jake Faust added to Duke’s lead with a commanding performance at 165 pounds. In full control from the opening whistle, Faust dominated Andy Hoselton and used four nearfall points as the timer buzzed in the third period to get his 17th win of the year and second technical fall.

Sporting a 21-10 lead through six matches, Alec Schenk seemingly put the Blue Devils out of reach with a 24-10 lead with an 8-4 decision over Kirk Johnson. Schenk, after missing a month due to injury, scored first and never trailed as he picked up his first dual victory of the year.

Duke, leading 24-14 with two matches remain, looked to fifth-ranked Conner Hartmann to seal the win for the Blue Devils. Up against Drake Stein, Hartmann left no doubt that Duke would be going home with the win. He scored an early takedown and tacked on six more back points for an 8-0 lead after three minutes of wrestling. The All-American added five more points en route to his 92nd career victory and a 28-14 Duke lead. Hartmann is ranked sixth in program history in wins and one shy of tying for the fifth spot. His .767 win percentage is eighth in Duke history.

Purdue registered a major decision at heavyweight from Tyler Kral to bring the final score to 28-18.

Duke will take the next week to get fully healthy and prepare for ACC Championships March 6 in Charlottesville, Va.

Duke 28, Purdue 18

125: Thayer Atkins (Duke) pins Luke Schroeder, 2:03 – Duke 6, Purdue 0

133: Luke Welch (Purdue) wins by forfeit – Duke 6, Purdue 6

141: Danny Sabatello (Purdue) major dec. Zach Finesilver (Duke), 13-5 – Purdue Duke 6, Purdue 10

149: No. 10 Mitch Finesilver (Duke) major dec. Jeremy Golding (Purdue), 9-1 – Duke 10, Purdue 10

157: Connor Bass (Duke) wins by forfeit – Duke 16, Purdue 10

165: Jake Faust (Duke) tech fall Andy Hoselton (Purdue), 15-0 – Duke 21, Purdue 10

174: Alec Schenk (Duke) dec. Kirk Johnson (Purdue), 8-4 – Duke 24, Purdue 10

184: Taylor Lynde (Purdue) major dec. Trey Adamson (Duke), 13-1 – Duke 24, Purdue 14

197: No. 5 Conner Hartmann (Duke) major dec. Drake Stein (Purdue), 13-0 – Duke 28, Purdue 14

285: Tyler Kral (Purdue) major dec. Brendan Walsh (Duke), 10-1 – Duke 28, Purdue 18

#GoDuke

Meredith V. Rieder

Associate Sports Information Director | Duke University

115 Cameron Indoor Stadium

Box 90557 | Durham, N.C. 27708

(O): 919-684-3328 | (F): 919-684-2489 | (C): 919-812-6741

For Immediate Release:
February 21, 2016
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Below are the results from Indiana's Sunday, February 21 dual meet against Appalachian State at University Gymnasium. The dual meet was one of eight in the NWCA Division I National Dual Championship Series.

Recap to Follow.

No. 25 Appalachian State 21, Indiana 13
157:
David Peters-Logue (ASU) dec. Jake Danishek (IU), SV-1 6-4 // ASU, 3-0
165: Bryce Martin (IU) dec. Forrest Przybysz (ASU), 5-4 // Tied, 3-3
174: No. 11 Nate Jackson (IU) maj. dec. Nick Kee (ASU), 12-4 // IU, 7-3
184: Matt Irick (IU) dec. Taylor Jackson (ASU), 7-5 // IU, 10-3
197: Randall Diabe (ASU) dec. Jake Masengale (IU), 6-3 // IU, 10-6
285: No. 6 Denzel Dejournette (ASU) dec. Garret Goldman (IU), 5-1 // IU, 10-9
125: No. 19 Elijah Oliver (IU) dec. Vito Pasone (ASU), 10-9 // IU, 13-9
133: Irvin Enriquez (ASU) dec. Alonzo Shepherd (IU), 6-2 // IU, 13-12
141: Mike Longo (ASU) pinned Tommy Cash (IU), Fall 6:53 // ASU, 18-13
149: Matt Zovistoski (ASU) dec. Luke Blanton (IU), 6-5 // ASU, 21-13

--
Nick Reith
Media Relations Assistant
Indiana University Athletics
Primary Contact: Field Hockey,
Wrestling, Water Polo
C: 317-371-6079
Email: nbreith@indiana.edu

106 Results 2016 Delaware State High School Wrestling Tournament
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Anthony Caruso of Cape Henlopen
2nd Place - Robbie Rosser of Milford
3rd Place - Luis Estrada of Middletown
4th Place - Michael Primo of Caesar Rodney
5th Place - Austin Price of Polytech
6th Place - Zach Spence of Salesianum
1st Place Match
Anthony Caruso (Cape Henlopen) 39-8, Fr. over Robbie Rosser (Milford) 42-6, So. (Dec 3-2).
3rd Place Match
Luis Estrada (Middletown) 36-7, Sr. over Michael Primo (Caesar Rodney) 27-14, Fr. (Dec 5-2).
5th Place Match
Austin Price (Polytech) 33-9, Sr. over Zach Spence (Salesianum) 24-15, Fr. (Fall 0:47).

113 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Cameron Hayes of Caesar Rodney
2nd Place - Shane Cawman of Delaware Military Academy
3rd Place - Chris Begatto of Smyrna
4th Place - Anthony Dominelli of Hodgson
5th Place - Spenser Hahn of Polytech
6th Place - Anthony Rispoli of William Penn
1st Place Match
Cameron Hayes (Caesar Rodney) 33-2, So. over Shane Cawman (Delaware Military Academy) 29-2, Sr. (Fall 3:23).
3rd Place Match
Chris Begatto (Smyrna) 20-11, Jr. over Anthony Dominelli (Hodgson) 33-6, Sr. (MD 11-2).
5th Place Match
Spenser Hahn (Polytech) 33-10, Sr. over Anthony Rispoli (William Penn) 27-9, Jr. (Dec 3-0).

120 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Gregory Baum of Smyrna
2nd Place - Nicholas Novarnik of St Georges
3rd Place - Nicholas Bramble of Salesianum
4th Place - Tyler Harris of Hodgson
5th Place - Tykwan Joyner of Dover
6th Place - Nathan Jackson of Polytech
1st Place Match
Gregory Baum (Smyrna) 27-6, So. over Nicholas Novarnik (St Georges) 39-5, So. (Dec 5-1).
3rd Place Match
Nicholas Bramble (Salesianum) 19-4, Sr. over Tyler Harris (Hodgson) 31-6, Sr. (Dec 3-2).
5th Place Match
Tykwan Joyner (Dover) 28-8, So. over Nathan Jackson (Polytech) 17-16, Sr. (Dec 8-1).

126 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Dante Immediato of Middletown
2nd Place - Kyle McDonough of Sanford
3rd Place - Rashad Stratton of Sussex Central
4th Place - Jesse Muaka of Wilmington Charter
5th Place - Alex Creasey of Milford
6th Place - Max Norquest of Cape Henlopen
1st Place Match
Dante Immediato (Middletown) 35-7, Jr. over Kyle McDonough (Sanford) 30-11, So. (Dec 4-3).
3rd Place Match
Rashad Stratton (Sussex Central) 32-7, So. over Jesse Muaka (Wilmington Charter) 28-8, Jr. (Dec 5-3).
5th Place Match
Alex Creasey (Milford) 35-10, Jr. over Max Norquest (Cape Henlopen) 30-12, Jr. (Dec 3-1).

132 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Chase Archangelo of Smyrna
2nd Place - Niko Chilson of Sanford
3rd Place - Anthony Fisher of Dover
4th Place - Nick Barnhart of Caravel
5th Place - Ryan Juarez-Robertson of William Penn
6th Place - Drew Morris of Sussex Central
1st Place Match
Chase Archangelo (Smyrna) 28-7, Jr. over Niko Chilson (Sanford) 35-6, Fr. (Dec 5-2).
3rd Place Match
Anthony Fisher (Dover) 27-5, Jr. over Nick Barnhart (Caravel) 35-8, Fr. (Dec 9-2).
5th Place Match
Ryan Juarez-Robertson (William Penn) 31-5, Jr. over Drew Morris (Sussex Central) 29-14, So. (Dec 2-0).

138 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Andrew Brooks of Sanford
2nd Place - Nicholas Lee of Dover
3rd Place - Vincent Diego of Cape Henlopen
4th Place - Nathaniel Bryant of Smyrna
5th Place - Chase Mounts of Caesar Rodney
6th Place - Alex Haber of William Penn
1st Place Match
Andrew Brooks (Sanford) 37-6, So. over Nicholas Lee (Dover) 27-4, Jr. (Dec 4-0).
3rd Place Match
Vincent Diego (Cape Henlopen) 35-12, Jr. over Nathaniel Bryant (Smyrna) 25-11, Jr. (Dec 3-2).
5th Place Match
Chase Mounts (Caesar Rodney) 33-16, Sr. over Alex Haber (William Penn) 29-12, Sr. (MD 12-0).

145 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Justin Bennett of Sussex Central
2nd Place - Barton Dalious of Milford
3rd Place - Timmy Griffith of Sanford
4th Place - Brandon Hurd of St Georges
5th Place - Jacques Nicolas of Hodgson
6th Place - Logan Thomas of Delmar
1st Place Match
Justin Bennett (Sussex Central) 35-5, Sr. over Barton Dalious (Milford) 41-5, Sr. (TB-1 2-1).
3rd Place Match
Timmy Griffith (Sanford) 29-13, Jr. over Brandon Hurd (St Georges) 39-10, Sr. (Dec 5-2).
5th Place Match
Jacques Nicolas (Hodgson) 31-9, Sr. over Logan Thomas (Delmar) 33-12, Sr. (TB-1 3-2).

152 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Brandon Bautista of Sussex Central
2nd Place - Thomas Gallucci of Caesar Rodney
3rd Place - Brendan Lamey of Sanford
4th Place - Khadeir Hamilton of Wilmington Charter
5th Place - Dakota Kerr of Smyrna
6th Place - Caleb Lum of Mt Pleasant
1st Place Match
Brandon Bautista (Sussex Central) 36-5, Jr. over Thomas Gallucci (Caesar Rodney) 27-13, Sr. (Dec 11-4).
3rd Place Match
Brendan Lamey (Sanford) 27-2, Jr. over Khadeir Hamilton (Wilmington Charter) 35-6, Sr. (Dec 4-3).
5th Place Match
Dakota Kerr (Smyrna) 27-13, So. over Caleb Lum (Mt Pleasant) 27-5, Sr. (MD 12-2).

160 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Cory Lawson of Cape Henlopen
2nd Place - Kalen Wilson of Smyrna
3rd Place - Zeke Marcozzi of Indian River
4th Place - Ben Froelich of Salesianum
5th Place - Blake Chambers of Sussex Central
6th Place - Carter Lamey of Wilmington Charter
1st Place Match
Cory Lawson (Cape Henlopen) 36-10, Jr. over Kalen Wilson (Smyrna) 28-4, Sr. (SV-1 4-2).
3rd Place Match
Zeke Marcozzi (Indian River) 38-9, Jr. over Ben Froelich (Salesianum) 26-14, Sr. (Dec 5-2).
5th Place Match
Blake Chambers (Sussex Central) 32-15, Jr. over Carter Lamey (Wilmington Charter) 28-10, Jr. (Dec 6-0).

170 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Larsen Wilson of Smyrna
2nd Place - Logan Montgomery of Salesianum
3rd Place - Avery Mayan of Polytech
4th Place - Isiah Mitchell of Middletown
5th Place - Lucas Hudson of Sussex Central
6th Place - Andrew Sudler of Caesar Rodney
1st Place Match
Larsen Wilson (Smyrna) 17-13, So. over Logan Montgomery (Salesianum) 21-9, So. (SV-1 3-1).
3rd Place Match
Avery Mayan (Polytech) 35-5, So. over Isiah Mitchell (Middletown) 31-10, Sr. (Dec 4-1).
5th Place Match
Lucas Hudson (Sussex Central) 36-7, Jr. over Andrew Sudler (Caesar Rodney) 21-8, Sr. (M. For.).

182 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Joseph Miller of Salesianum
2nd Place - Kenny VanVorst of Milford
3rd Place - Austin Clayton of St Georges
4th Place - Holden Kammerer of Cape Henlopen
5th Place - Colin Bergh of Sussex Tech
6th Place - Hunter Moyer of Smyrna
1st Place Match
Joseph Miller (Salesianum) 33-2, Jr. over Kenny VanVorst (Milford) 39-8, Sr. (Fall 2:44).
3rd Place Match
Austin Clayton (St Georges) 35-7, Jr. over Holden Kammerer (Cape Henlopen) 27-20, Jr. (Dec 5-2).
5th Place Match
Colin Bergh (Sussex Tech) 34-9, Sr. over Hunter Moyer (Smyrna) 17-13, So. (Dec 9-2).

195 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Micheal Clavier of Caesar Rodney
2nd Place - Andrew Genett of Wilmington Charter
3rd Place - John Morris of Sussex Central
4th Place - Marvin Spady of Sussex Tech
5th Place - Dante Scrivens of Howard
6th Place - Anthony Wuest of Smyrna
1st Place Match
Micheal Clavier (Caesar Rodney) 37-5, Sr. over Andrew Genett (Wilmington Charter) 26-6, Sr. (Fall 1:10).
3rd Place Match
John Morris (Sussex Central) 34-11, Jr. over Marvin Spady (Sussex Tech) 25-18, Sr. (SV-1 3-1).
5th Place Match
Dante Scrivens (Howard) 20-5, Sr. over Anthony Wuest (Smyrna) 27-7, So. (M. For.).

220 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Nazr Roberson of Newark
2nd Place - Keith Medley of Caravel
3rd Place - Joel Torres of Cape Henlopen
4th Place - Dominyc Hovington of Milford
5th Place - Jake Mitchell of Smyrna
6th Place - Justin Land of Polytech
1st Place Match
Nazr Roberson (Newark) 33-5, Sr. over Keith Medley (Caravel) 35-4, Jr. (Dec 6-3).
3rd Place Match
Joel Torres (Cape Henlopen) 33-10, Sr. over Dominyc Hovington (Milford) 39-9, Jr. (SV-1 2-1).
5th Place Match
Jake Mitchell (Smyrna) 21-17, Sr. over Justin Land (Polytech) 32-8, Sr. (Dec 4-3).

285 Results
Guaranteed Places
1st Place - Dominique Pierce of Woodbridge
2nd Place - Brandon Dooley of William Penn
3rd Place - Victor Cruz of Sussex Central
4th Place - Riley Montgomery of Salesianum
5th Place - Andrew Galazeski of Concord
6th Place - Bryon Wynes of Milford
1st Place Match
Dominique Pierce (Woodbridge) 37-5, Sr. over Brandon Dooley (William Penn) 13-1, Sr. (UTB 3-2).
3rd Place Match
Victor Cruz (Sussex Central) 35-9, Sr. over Riley Montgomery (Salesianum) 33-7, Sr. (Fall 1:33).
5th Place Match
Andrew Galazeski (Concord) 29-6, Sr. over Bryon Wynes (Milford) 34-10, Jr. (M. For.).

Date: Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 1:11 PM
Subject: Mecate wins MAC Championship; Dechow finishes 2nd and Jeske takes 3rd
To:

YPSILANTI, Mich. -- Chris Mecate earned his first MAC Championship and Jack Dechow finished as the runner-up on the final day of the 2016 Mid-American Conference Championships at Eastern Michigan's Convocation Center.

Returning All-American Mecate received a medical forfeit over Missouri's Matt Manley in the finals after Manley became injured in his semi victory yesterday over Zach Horan of Central Michigan. With the victory, Mecate became ODU's second-ever Mid-American Conference champion and claimed the second conference title of his career, as he won the CAA crown in 2013.

Jack Dechow fell in the 184 finals to Jordan Ellingwood of CMU, 7-3. Dechow trailed 3-2 late in the third period before Ellingwood secured a takedown and two quick nearfall points to earn the 7-3 victory.

Brandon Jeske punched his ticket to his third NCAA Championships via a 4-2 victory over Buffalo's Kyle Akins in the consolation semifinals. The junior from Virginia Beach dropped his third place bout to Central Michigan's Brent Fleetwood, 4-0, to finish fourth.

Alexander Richardson dropped a heartbreaker in the consolation semifinals to EMU's Nick Barber, 6-4, before losing to Buffalo's Colt Cotten via disqualification in the fifth place bout.

Jeske, Mecate and Dechow will prepare for the 2016 NCAA Championships at Madison Square Garden in New York City from March 17-19. At-large selections for the NCAAs will be announced on March 9.

ODU Results - Day 2

Cons. Semi - Brandon Jeske (Old Dominion) 18-11 won by decision over Kyle Akins (Buffalo) 19-13 (Dec 4-2)

3rd Place Match - Brent Fleetwood (Central Michigan) 19-11 won by decision over Brandon Jeske (Old Dominion) 18-11 (Dec 4-0)

1st Place Match - Chris Mecate (Old Dominion) 21-6 won by medical forfeit over Matt Manley (Missouri) 27-7 (M. For.)

Cons. Semi - Nick Barber (Eastern Michigan) 18-9 won by decision over Alexander Richardson (Old Dominion) 21-8 (Dec 6-4)

5th Place Match - Colt Cotten (Buffalo) 13-9 won by disqualification over Alexander Richardson (Old Dominion) 21-8 (DQ)

1st Place Match - Jordan Ellingwood (Central Michigan) 28-12 won by decision over Jack Dechow (Old Dominion) 18-3 (Dec 7-3)

--
Tristan Warner
Old Dominion University
4509 Elkhorn Avenue
Norfolk, Virginia 23529
www.ODUSports.com

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Three South Dakota State University wrestlers recorded individual runner-up finishes and the Jackrabbits placed fourth in the team standings as competition at the Big 12 Wrestling Championship wrapped up Sunday at Sprint Center.

Redshirt freshman Seth Gross was the first Jackrabbit to wrestle in Sunday’s finals as he was matched up against top-ranked Dean Heil of Oklahoma State. Heil would go on defeat Gross, 5-3, but Gross earned a trip to nationals with his runner-up finish.

The 157-pound championship bout featured top-seeded Cody Pack of SDSU against second-seeded Joseph Smith of Oklahoma State. Smith scored an early takedown and carried the momentum through for an 8-4 victory. Pack, who fell to 27-3 overall, will be making his fourth consecutive trip to the national tournament.

At 197 pounds, Nate Rotert will make a return trip to the national meet despite dropping a 4-3 decision to fifth-seeded Preston Weigel of Oklahoma State in the championship match. Rotert’s season record stands at 26-9.

David Kocer became the fourth Jackrabbit to earn a trip to nationals with a fourth-place finish at 174 pounds. A sophomore from Wagner, Kocer opened the day with a 3-2, overtime victory over West Virginia’s Ross Renzi in the consolation semifinals. Kocer later withdrew from the scheduled third-place match against Oklahoma’s Matt Reed for medical reasons.

Alex Kocer and Luke Zilverberg each split their consolation matches Sunday morning to finish with fifth-place showings. Alex Kocer dropped a 9-6 decision to Cole Mendenhall of Wyoming in his first match, but came back to post a 15-7 major decision over Northern Colorado’s Timmy Box. Kocer improved to 24-10 this season and will be under consideration for an at-large selection to the national tournament.

Zilverberg opened the morning session with a 7-2 loss to third-seeded Clark Glass of Oklahoma in the consolation semifinals, but claimed fifth place with a 4-2 decision over Michael Billingsley of Air Force to close out his season.

With seven individual champions, Oklahoma State claimed the team title with 161 points. Oklahoma was second with 100 points and two individual champions, followed by Iowa State with 87 points and one champion. SDSU tallied 77 points for its fourth-place showing, with Wyoming completing the upper half of the 10-team field with 71.5 points.

The NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships are scheduled for March 17-19 in New York City. At-large selections to the national tournament will be announced on Wednesday.

Following is a complete look at South Dakota State’s complete individual results from the Big 12 Wrestling Championship:

125: #7 Ben Gillette, Jr., Redfield, S.D. (1-2 record)First Round: tech. fall #10 Jesse Reed, Northern Colorado, 18-1 (5:51)
Quarterfinals: lost to #2 Eddie Klimara, Oklahoma State, by fall 1:23
Consolation Round of 8: lost to #8 Kyle Larson, Iowa State, by dec., 10-4
Gillette eliminated – ends season 19-13 overall

133: #5 Brance Simms, Sr., Gilmore City, Iowa (0-2 record)Quarterfinals: lost to #4 Jade Rauser, Utah Valley, by dec., 7-0
Consolation Quarterfinals: lost to #8 Keegan Moore, West Virginia, by dec., 3-2
Simms eliminated – ends season 15-13 overall

141: #3 Seth Gross, R-Fr., Apple Valley, Minn. (2-1 record)Quarterfinals: major dec. #6 Trae Blackwell, Oklahoma, 10-0
Semifinals: dec. #2 Bryce Meredith, Wyoming, 8-3
Finals: lost to #1 Dean Heil, Oklahoma State, by dec., 5-3
Second place – national qualifier; season record of 23-12

149: #2 Alex Kocer, Jr., Wagner, S.D. (2-2 record)Quarterfinals: dec. #10 John Meeks, Iowa State, 1-0
Semifinals: lost to #3 Davion Jeffries, Oklahoma, by fall 4:47
Consolation Semifinals: lost to #5 Cole Mendenhall, Wyoming, 9-6
Fifth-Place Match: major dec. #4 Timmy Box, Northern Colorado, 15-7
Fifth place; season record of 24-10

157: #1 Cody Pack, Sr., Quincy, Calif. (2-1 record)Quarterfinals: tech. fall #9 Kyle Gliva, North Dakota State, 16-0 (4:25)
Semifinals: dec. #4 Archie Colgan, Wyoming, 3-2
Finals: lost to #2 Joseph Smith, Oklahoma State, by dec., 8-4
Second place – national qualifier; season record of 27-3

165: #5 Luke Zilverberg, So., Belle Plaine, Minn. (2-2 record)
Quarterfinals: lost to #4 Connor Flynn, West Virginia, 4-2
Consolation Quarterfinals: dec. #8 Grant Nehring, North Dakota State, 8-5
Consolation Semifinals: lost to #3 Clark Glass, Oklahoma, by dec., 7-2
Fifth-Place Match: dec. #9 Michael Billingsley, Air Force, 4-2
Fifth place; season record of 22-12

174: #4 David Kocer, So., Wagner, S.D. (2-1 record)Quarterfinals: dec. #5 Ross Taylor, Utah Valley, 10-6
Semifinals: lost to #1 Chandler Rogers, Oklahoma State, by dec., 10-8
Consolation Semifinals: dec. #6 Ross Renzi, West Virginia, 3-2 (TB-2)
Third-Place Match: withdrew due to injury
Fourth place – national qualifier; season record of 28-11

184: #7 Brady Ayers, Jr., Waterville, Minn. (3-3 record)First Round: tech. fall #10 Horacio Vialpando, Northern Colorado, 16-0 (2:44)
Quaterfinals: lost to #2 Nolan Boyd, Oklahoma State, by major dec., 8-0
Consolation Round of 8: dec. #9 Will Sumner, Utah Valley, 4-2
Consolation Quarterfinals: dec. #6 Andrew Dixon, Oklahoma, 5-2
Consolation Semifinals: lost to #4 Dane Pestano, Iowa State, by dec., 3-1
Fifth-Place Match: lost to #8 Ben Stroh, Wyoming, by dec., 11-4
Sixth Place; season record 22-16

197: #2 Nate Rotert, So., Spearfish, S.D. (2-1 record)Quarterfinals: dec. #7 Brandon Tribble, Wyoming, 8-2
Semifinals: dec. #3 Trent Noon, Northern Colorado, 7-6
Championship: lost to #5 Preston Weigel, Oklahoma State, by dec., 4-3
Second Place – national qualifier; season record 26-9

285: #9 Alex Macki, So., Cambridge, Iowa (0-2 record)First Round: lost to A.J. Vizcarrondo, West Virginia, by dec., 2-0
Consolation Round of 8: lost to Marcus Malecek, Air Force, by dec., 1-0
Macki eliminated – ends season 8-19 overall

Jason Hove

Date: Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 12:56 PM
Subject: Alexander Takes 8th at Big Ten Championships
To: wrestling <wrestling@reflectors.mail.umd.edu>

Alexander Takes 8th at Big Ten Championships

Alexander Qualifies for 2016 NCAA Championships

IOWA CITY, Iowa – Redshirt senior Geoffrey Alexander (133) wrapped up action at the 2016 Big Ten Championships for the Maryland wrestling team Sunday afternoon, dropping to Ohio State’s Johnni DiJulius in the seventh place match. Regardless of his loss today, Alexander clinched one of the Big Ten’s nine automatic qualifier spots with his eighth place overall finish.

It wasn’t Alexander’s day in session three, as DiJulius jumped out to an 8-2 lead after the first period. A takedown and four-point near fall was his undoing in the third period, as DiJulius secured the No. 7 spot on the podium at Carver Hawkeye Arena.

Alexander will now set his sight on the 2016 NCAA Championships, which begin March 17-19 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Stay tuned to umterps.com for the release of the tournament seeds.

Big Ten Championship Results for Maryland

(# - represents tournament seed)

125 – Michael Beck

Champ. Round 1 – #4 Tim Lambert (Nebraska) technical fall over Michael Beck (Maryland), 16-0

Consolation Round 1 – Steven Polakowski (Minnesota) major decision over Michael Beck (Maryland), 11-1

133 – Geoffrey Alexander

Champ. Round 1 – #4 Geoffrey Alexander (Maryland) major decision over #13 Alonzo Shepherd (Indiana), 9-0

Champ. Round 2 – #5 Eric Montoya (Nebraska) decision over #4 Geoffrey Alexander (Maryland), 6-3

Consolation Round 2 – #4 Geoffrey Alexander (Maryland) decision over #11 Luke Welch (Purdue), 6-0

Consolation Round 3 – #10 Anthony Giraldo (Rutgers) decision over #4 Geoffrey Alexander (Maryland), 6-0

7th Place Match – #7 Johnni Dijulius (Ohio State) technical fall over #4 Geoffrey Alexander (Maryland), 19-2

141 – Alfred Bannister

Champ. Round 1 – #4 Jameson Oster (Northwestern) decision over Alfred Bannister (Maryland), 9-5

Consolation Round 1 – Alfred Bannister (Maryland) decision over Tommy Cash (Indiana), 4-2

Consolation Round 2 – #6 Anthony Abidin (Nebraska) decision over Alfred Bannister (Maryland), 5-2

149 – Wade Hodges

Champ. Round 1 – #8 Jake Short (Minnesota) decision over Wade Hodges, 11-5

Consolation Round 1 – Kyle Langenderfer (Illinois) fall over Wade Hodges (Maryland), 3:44

157 – Lou Mascola

Champ. Round 1 – Brandon Kingsley (Minnesota) decision over #8 Lou Mascola (Maryland), 8-3

Consolation Round 1 – Doug Welch (Purdue) decision over #8 Lou Mascola (Maryland), 10-4

165 – Brendan Burnham

Champ. Round 1 – #3 Steven Rodrigues (Illinois) major decision over Brendan Burnham (Maryland), 15-5

Consolation Round 1 – Brendan Burnham (Maryland) decision over Dean Vettese (Michigan State), 5-2

Consolation Round 2 – #5 Chad Welch (Purdue) major decision over Brendan Burnham (Maryland), 8-0

174 – Josh Snook

Champ. Round 1 – #5 Nate Jackson (Indiana) major decision over #12 Josh Snook (Maryland), 13-5

Consolation Round 1 – Josh Snook decision over Shane Shadaia (Michigan State), 5-1

Consolation Round 2 – #6 Micah Barnes (Nebraska) fall over Josh Snook (Maryland), 3:36

9th Place Match – #7 Nick Wanzek (Minnesota) decision over Josh Snook (Maryland), 5-2

184 – Mark Colabucci

Champ. Round 1 – #7 Jeff Koepke (Illinois) major decision over Mark Colabucci (Maryland), 17-7

Consolation Round 2 – #8 Ryan Christensen (Wisconsin) decision over Mark Colabucci (Maryland), 8-2

197 – Garrett Wesneski

Champ. Round 1 – #5 Aaron Studebaker (Nebraska) decision over Garrett Wesneski (Maryland), 6-2

Consolation Round 2 – #6 Mark Martin (Ohio State) decision over Garrett Wesneski (Maryland), 5-1

285 – Youssif Hemida

Champ. Round 1 – #3 Sam Stoll (Iowa) major decision over Youssif Hemida (Maryland), 15-4

Consolation Round 1 – Youssif Hemida (Maryland) sudden victory decision over Tyler Kral (Purdue), 7-5 (SV-1)

Consolation Round 2 – #4 Billy Smith (Rutgers) decision over Youssif Hemida (Maryland), 8-1

-Terps-

Keith Sneddon

Media Relations Assistant | WrestlingIntercollegiate Athletics|University of Maryland

P: 443.617.2423

From: Brewer, Christopher J<christopher-brewer@hawkeyesports.com>
Date: Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 12:19 PM
Subject: Iowa Wrestling -- 7 Hawkeyes wrestle Sunday afternoon for spot on Big Ten stand
To:

University of Iowa Wrestling

Athletic Communications Contact: Chris Brewer

Gilman, Cooper Move Forward

7 Hawkeyes wrestle Sunday afternoon for spot on Big Ten stand

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Thomas Gilman and Edwin Cooper, Jr. won consolation semifinals bouts Sunday afternoon to advance to the Big Ten Championships consolation finals later today at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Gilman threw Indiana’s Elijah Oliver to his back in the first period to earn his ninth fall of the season. He’ll face Nebraska’s Tim Lambert in the consolation finals. Gilman is 2-0 all-time against Lambert, including an 11-4 win earlier this year.

Cooper used a full-period ride in the second and escaped in the third to defeat Rutgers’ Richie Lewis, 2-0. He will wrestle Michigan’s Brian Murphy for third place. Cooper has never faced Murphy.

Alex Meyer will wrestle Nebraska’s Micah Barnes for fifth place after dropping an 11-7 decision to Indiana’s Nate Jackson in the consolation semifinals. Meyer won 2-0 against Barnes in their only previous meeting.

Senior Patrick Rhoads won his final match at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in the seventh place bout. Rhoads finished a single leg takedown midway through sudden victory to defeat Penn State’s Geno Morelli, 4-2. Morelli is ranked ninth in the NCAA Coaches Poll.

“Last night I was lying in bed and thinking this is the last match you’re ever going to have at Carver, you just need to put it all out there,” Rhoads said. “I haven’t had as much success as I wanted to have in my career, but to give the fans, family, friends and coaches a win is huge. I haven’t been able to do that as much the last four years. It feels good to be able to give back.”

The top six wrestlers earn automatic bids to the NCAA Championships, meaning Rhoads’ postseason future is in the hands of the selection committee. He is 13-11 overall, but each loss is against an opponent ranked in the top 10 of the NCAA Coaches Poll.

Sam Stoll forfeited the 285-pound seventh place match. Iowa is in second place entering the final round of the conference tournament. Penn State leads the team race with 136.5 points, 20.5 points ahead of the Hawkeyes.

The finals begin at 3:10 p.m. live on BTN. Third and fifth place matches will be contested with each corresponding weight class.

CONSOLATION SEIMIFINAL RESULTS

125 - #2 Thomas Gilman (IA) pinned #5 Elijah Oliver (IND), 1:42

157 - #5 Edwin Cooper Jr. (IA) dec. #3 Richie Lewis (RUT), 2-0

174 - #5 Nate Jackson (IND), dec. #2 Alex Meyer (IA), 11-7

7th PLACE RESULTS

165 - #8 Patrick Rhoads (IA) dec. #7 Geno Morelli (PSU), 4-2 (SV)

285 - #4 Billy Smith (RUT) mff. #3 Sam Stoll (IA)

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCHUPS

133 - #2 Cory Clark (IA) vs. #1 Zane Richards (ILL)

149 - #2 Brandon Sorensen (IA) vs. #1 Zain Retherford (PSU)

184 - #3 Sammy Brooks (IA) vs. #4 T.J. Dudley (NEB)

197 - #3 Nathan Burak (IA) vs. #1 Morgan McIntosh (PSU)

THIRD PLACE MATCHUPS

125 - #2 Thomas Gilman (IA) vs. #4 Tim Lambert (NEB)

157 - #5 Edwin Cooper Jr. (IA) vs. #6 Brian Murphy (MICH)

FIFTH PLACE MATCHUP

174 - #2 Alex Meyer (IA) vs. #6 Micah Barnes (NEB)

TEAM SCORES

1. Penn State 136.5

2. Iowa 116.0

3. Nebraska 115.0

4. Ohio State 114.0

5. Rutgers 100.5

6. Michigan 82.5

7. Illinois 82.0

8. Wisconsin 62.5

9. Minnesota 49.5

10. Purdue 30.0

11. Indiana 29.5

12. Northwestern 11.5

13. Michigan State 10.5

14. Maryland 7.5

NEW YORK — South Dakota State University wrestlers Seth Gross and Cody Pack advanced to the Round of 16 by winning first-round matches Thursday at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.

Gross, a redshirt freshman from Apple Valley, Minnesota, knocked off 13th-seeded Steve Bleise of Northern Illinois, 6-3, in the 141-pound weight class. Gross will face fourth-seeded Anthony Ashnault of Rutgers (N.J.) during the evening session Thursday at Madison Square Garden.

At 157 pounds, the seventh-seeded Pack turned in a dominant performance over Neal Richards of Virginia Military Institute, recording a 9-1 major decision in which he racked up a riding-time advantage of more than four minutes. Pack, a senior from Quincy, California, and a four-time national qualifier, will meet 10th-seeded John Boyle of American University Thursday night. Pack defeated Boyle, 6-2, at the Midlands Championships earlier this season.

Three other Jackrabbit wrestlers, including brothers Alex and David Kocer, dropped first-round matches Thursday afternoon and will attempt to continue in the wrestlebacks during the evening session. Alex Kocer dropped a 7-1 decision to sixth-seeded Jason Tsirtsis of Northwestern (Ill.) at 149 pounds, while David Kocer fell 7-3 to seventh-seeded Cody Walters of Ohio in the 174-pound weight class.

Nate Rotert, seeded 15th at 197 pounds, lost to Chattanooga’s Scottie Boykin for the second year in a row at nationals, dropping a 7-4 decision.

Competition resumes at 7 p.m. Eastern Time (6 p.m. Central).

Jason Hove
Web: www.GoJacks.com

From: Virginia Tech Athletics <webmaster@hokiesports.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 3:29 PM
Subject: VT Wrestling: Seven Hokies advance after first round
To: wrestling_media@hokiesports.com

Wrestling
Seven Hokies advance after first round

Read the story
- hokiesports.com to go

http://www.hokiesports.com/wrestling/recaps/20160317aaa.html

NEW YORK CITY - The Hokies opened competition at the 2016 NCAA National Championship on Thursday morning and currently sit in a tie for 8th place with NC State in the team standings with 9 points.

Joey Dance opened the day with an 8-2 decision over Alfredo Rodriguez of SIUE and advances to take on David Terao of American (26-5) in the second round. At 141 pounds, Solomon Chishko made his debut on the NCAA stage with a 9-3 victory, facing Logan Everett of Army (19-13) next. Nick Brascetta held on for a 9-4 victory over Russell Parsons of Army in his fourth trip to Nationals.

Freshman David McFadden made a big splash inhis first trip to the NCAA championship, pinning his opponent in 4:44 to move on to the next round. He will face Bo Jordan of Ohio State (17-2) next. Zack Zavatsky won a 9-3 decision to become the fifth Hokie to advance to the second round and was immediately followed by a 6-2 win from Jared Haught. Ty Walz rounded out the first session with a 5-2 victory over Tanner Hall of Arizona State.

Seven Hokies will advance to the second round of competition tonight and Zach Epperly will compete in wrestlebacks, facing Rustin Barrick of Bucknell.

Date: Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 2:00 PM
Subject: Pitt Wrestling: Session I: Forys Advances to Round of 16
To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 17, 2016

Session I: Forys Advances to Round of 16

Sophomore Dom Forys pins opponent in opening round

Session I Brackets | Photo Gallery | Championship Info

NEW YORK – At the conclusion of the first session of the 2016 NCAA Wrestling Championships, 11th-seeded sophomore Dom Forys is set to compete in the Round of 16 Thursday evening at 133 pounds in Madison Square Garden.

In the first match of the day for Pitt, redshirt sophomore Ryan Solomon dropped an 8-2 decision to Nebraska’s Collin Jensen in the preliminary round at 285 pounds. After a scoreless opening frame, Solomon and Jensen were tied 2-2 late in the second but a takedown and four-point nearfall late in the third would secure Jensen’s victory. Solomon will take on Iowa’s Sam Stoll in the wrestlebacks tonight.

Making his debut on the national stage, freshman LJ Bentley fell to 10th-seeded Connor Schram of Stanford at 125 pounds. Schram’s largest lead came in the third period when he led 5-0. Bentley would record two points, but it wouldn’t be enough. Bentley will meet Wisconsin’s Johnny Jimenez in the wrestlebacks in the evening session. The two last met on Dec. 12 in the Fitzgerald Field House, where Bentley won in a 14-12 decision in sudden victory.

Forys dominated Northwestern’s Dominick Malone in the opening round, pinning him in 4:22. The Pittsburgh native will face Virginia’s George DiCamillo this evening for a rematch of the ACC Championship match.

Redshirt sophomore Cody Wiercioch fell to the 165 pound 10-seed Austin Wilson of Nebraska, 6-0. Wiercioch will take on Forrest Przybysz of Appalachian State in the evening session of wrestlebacks.

Freshman TeShan Campbell dropped a tough 3-2 decision in his debut to Michael Ottinger of Central Michigan at 174 pounds. Campbell tied the match 2-2 late in the second, but an Ottinger escape in the third would be the final score for the Pittsburgh native. Campbell will face the winner of Richard Robertson of Wisconsin versus David Kocer of San Diego State.

Redshirt senior Nick Bonaccorsi was the final Panther to compete in the opening round this afternoon. The Pittsburgh native faced the fifth-seeded Conner Hartmann of Duke for the sixth time in this career. Hartmann remains undefeated against Bonaccorsi, coming out with an 8-0 win.

The second session of the 2016 NCAA Championships is set to begin tonight at 7 p.m. Fans can catch every match live on ESPN3 or ESPNU. For more broadcast information click here.

LJ Bentley (125 pounds)

First Round: Connor Schram (Stanford) dec. LJ Bentley (Pitt), 5-2

Dom Forys (133 pounds)

First Round: Dom Forys (Pitt) fall Dominick Malone (Northwestern), 4:22

Cody Wiercioch (165 pounds)

First Round: Austin Wilson (Nebraska) dec. Cody Wiercioch (Pitt), 6-0

TeShan Campbell (174 pounds)

First Round: Michael Ottinger (Central Michigan) dec. TeShan Campbell (Pitt), 3-2

Nick Bonaccorsi (197 pounds)

First Round:

Ryan Solomon (285 pounds)

Pigtail First Round: Collin Jensen (Nebraska) dec. Ryan Solomon (Pitt), 8-2

Julie Jurich Assistant Director of Media Relations

Men’s Soccer, Wrestling, Women’s TennisUniversity of Pittsburgh | Department of Athletics
Petersen Events Center | 3719 Terrace St., Room 2092 | Pittsburgh, PA 15261
jjurich@athletics.pitt.edu
Cell: (412) 652-5585 | Office: (412) 648-8245

website | map

INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN MAY INCLUDE PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION SUBJECT TO PROTECTION UNDER FEDERAL LAW. THIS INFORMATION SHOULD BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. RE-DISCLOSURE OF THIS INFORMATION IS PROHIBITED ABSENT SPECIFIC WRITTEN CONSENT OR AS OTHERWISE PERMITTED BY LAW OR REGULATION.

Date: Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 3:46 PM
Subject: Article: Broncs Win 3 in Session 1
To: dawvoice3@gmail.com

Click here to view as a web page.

Broncs Win 3 in Session 1
Courtesy Rider Sports Information
Thu, March 17, 2016
Q_bbJR6hb9eljDkGEplg3gpbqMnmLwdVGmgnLkocYbV-FnPZK0T1mS-2LcW2x_KwGcqxPYEZrWItk9_GoJisL0yNy9lXuZXk6cdqSEKSjRN0PJ7MuCUWlt0ampFEuqvRhRJ_rpTzdZhtewOQ=s0-d-e1-ft
Courtesy Roy DeBoer
BJ Clagon beats #8 seed
Session One at NCAA Wrestling Championships

Broncs Win 3, Lose 3

NEW YORK, NY—Six Broncs won three matches Thursday afternoon in the first round of the NCAA Division I Championships, held at Madison Square Garden March 17-19. Session two is 7pm Thursday.

In the first round on Thursday afternoon, senior Conor Brennan (Brick, NJ/Brick Twp.), sophomore Chad Walsh (Cherry Hill, NJ/Camden Catholic) and sophomore B.J. Clagon (Toms River, NJ/Toms River South) won.

Clagon (20-10) will now face the #9 seed, Justin Oliver of Central Michigan Thursday evening. Clagon upset the #8 seed Evan Henderson (22-5) of North Carolina 3-1 in the first round. Last year Clagon placed fifth at the NCAAs to earn All-America honors.

Brennan (27-3), the 12th seed, will now face the #5 seed, Max Rohskopf of North Carolina State. Brennan defeated Jake Faust (17-8) of Duke 7-2 in the first round Thursday.

Walsh (25-7), the 15th seed, will now face the #2 seed, Thomas Gantt of North Carolina State Thursday evening. Walsh won an 11-2 major decision over Greg Flournoy of George Mason. Walsh has now defeated Flournoy three times this year.

Senior Rob Deutsch (Cherry Hill, NJ/Eastern Regional), junior Ryan Wolfe (New Castle, Del./Caravel Academy) and sophomore heavyweight Mauro Correnti (Delran, NJ/Holy Cross) lost in the first round.

Deutsch (20-6) was pinned in 2:06 by the10th seed, Johnni DiJulius (17-7) of Ohio State in the first round. In the consolations he will face Zachary Davis of Navy.

Wolfe (27-8) lost 11-3 to the #1 seed, Morgan McIntosh (29-0) of Penn State. McIntosh defeated Wolfe 10-1 in a dual meet this year. In consolations Thursday evening Wolfe will face Michael Woulfe of Navy.

Correnti (16-13) lost 5-2 to the #9 seed, Michael Kroells (30-7) of Minnesota in the first round. In the consolations Thursday evening Correnti will face Mike Hughes of Hofstra.

-ru-

Click here to view as a web page.

To remove your e-mail address from our mailing list, please click on Customer Care and select Remove From Mailing List from the Area of Interest list and specify your e-mail address. Note: This does not apply to opt-in e-mail. To modify your opt-in e-mail deliveries, log in to the site and modify your preferences. Customer Care

NeuLion
800 Central Park Drive
Sanford, FL 32771

Date: Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 1:45 PM
Subject: @IlliniWrestling Advances 5 of 6 in Opening Session
To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday, March 17, 2016

SID Contact: Chad Beyler (O: 217.300.1449; C: 217.493.3777 or beyler2@illinois.edu

Link: http://bit.ly/22ougax

Updated Bracket: http://bit.ly/1TRS69F

FIGHTING ILLINI WRESTLING

@IlliniWrestling Advances 5 of 6 in Opening Session

HWT Brooks Black Upsets #6 Dejournette

New York City, NY — The Orange & Blue began the opening session with five victories in six of their matches. Two Fighting Illini grapplers stole the show for the Illini during the opening round, Isaiah Martinez with a 16-0 tech fall and Brooks Black with a 7-2 upset of #6 Denzel Dejournette. As a team, the Illini have scored 6.5 points and sit in a tie for 10th after the opening session.

Defending Champ Rolls Through Round One

The defending national champion at 157-pounds, and top seed this year, Isaiah Martinez wasted little time in attacking Robert Henderson of North Carolina. After a takedown to start the scoring, Martinez proceeded to dominate the rest of period one with three four-point near falls to lead 14-0 after just three minutes. The sophomore from Lemoore, California finished off the tech fall with a reversal in period two, winning 16-0 in just 4:15. Martinez (28-1) will face #16 Markus Scheidel (40-8) tonight in the second round.

Brooks Black Provides Highlight of Session 1

Coming off three wins over ranked wrestlers at Big Ten Championships two weeks’ prior, Brooks Black carried his recent surge into his opening-round bout with #6 Denzel Dejournette of Appalachian State. Black used early takedowns in both the first and second period, combined with over two minutes of riding time, to take a commanding lead. Black rode Dejournette out for the remaining period to win 7-2. He will take on unseeded Boyce Cornwell (GW) in round two after the Cornwell upset Iowa’s #11 Sam Stoll this afternoon.

#Illini Seeded Wrestlers Hold Seed in Opening Session

Seeded wrestlers #3 Zane Richards, #5 Zac Brunson, and #6 Steven Rodrigues all held serve in their opening matches to advance to tonight’s second round matches.

At 133-pounds, Richards (24-1) kick-started the action this afternoon with a hard-fought 5-4 decision over Joey Palmer (Oregon State). After a takedown to start the action, unseeded Palmer played it close to the vest and refused to let Richards get to his offense. In the second period, Palmer surged ahead but the Illini 133-pounder rebounded to tie the score with an escape in the third period. Tied 4-4 at the end of the seven minutes, Richards won 5-4 on account of 1:49 of riding time in his favor. The red-shirt junior will face Geoffrey Alexander of Maryland in tonight’s second round.

At 165, Rodrigues earned a takedown in the first period and never relinquished his lead over George Pickett (Cornell). The senior from Mount Kisco, New York added on another takedown and escape during the remaining four minutes to earn a 5-2 decision. Rodrigues (26-3) will face upset minded Geno Morelli of Penn State after the Nittany Lion defeated #11 John Staudenmayer (UNC) 5-3 in round one.

Similar to teammates Richards and Rodrigues, Brunson was methodical in his 3-1 decision over Keaton Subjeck of Stanford. Subjeck hung tight with Brunson throughout the match, not allowing Brunson to get on the attack. After remaining deadlocked at zero after the opening three minutes, Brunson got to work in period two with an escape and then a takedown to stretch the lead to 3-0. The three points proved to be enough as Brunson allowed just an escape the rest of the way. Brunson (21-3) will wrestle Indiana’s Nathan Jackson (32-7) tonight in the second round, a rematch of the Reno Tournament title match that Brunson won by a count of 8-4.

Koepke Looks to Rebound Tonight in Consolation Bracket

The only defeat of session one for the Fighting Illini came at 184-pounds. Facing fourth-seeded Domenic Abounader for the third time this season, Koepke was unable to revenge his previous two losses to the wolverine, giving up two takedowns in period one, dropping the match 8-0. In tonight’s consolation bracket, the Illini senior (20-9) will look to keep his season alive against Army’s Samson Imonode (15-18).

Full Illini Results:

133: #3 Zane Richards

Champ. Round 1: won by decision Joey Palmer (ORST), 5-4

Champ. Round 2: vs. #14 Geoffrey Alexander (MD)

157: #2 Isaiah Martinez

Champ. Round 1: wins by tech fall over Robert Henderson (UNC), 16-0

Champ. Round 2: vs. #16 Markus Scheidel (COLU)

165: #6 Steven Rodrigues

Champ. Round 1: wins by decision over George Pickett (CORN), 5-2

Champ. Round 2: vs. Geno Morelli (PSU)

174: #5 Zac Brunson

Champ. Round 1: wins by decision over Keaton Subjeck (STAN), 3-1

Champ Round 2: vs. #12 Nathan Jackson (IND)

184: Jeff Koepke

Champ. Round 1: loses by major decision to Domenic Abounader (MICH), 8-0

Cons. Round 1: vs. Samson Imonode (Army)

HWT: Brooks Black

Champ. Round 1: wins by decision over #6 Denzel Dejournette (APP),

Champ. Round 2: vs. Boyce Cornwell (GW)

TEAM STANDINGS

1. Ohio St. 16.5

2. Penn State 16.0

3. Nebraska 13.0

4. Iowa 11.0

5. Michigan 10.0

5. Missouri 10.0

5. Oklahoma St. 10.0

8. NC State 9.0

8. Virginia Tech 9.0

10. ILLINOIS 6.5

10. Rutgers 6.5

--
3NS7fVT-psFn_zRNDPbQPit9eePyg5mFz4SlZf8SgQ1wtTLtDt3Vy6JwPl-N9UhbPEpeHR3HO7h6NlkkqAlCt6XTcDXTBecDbfmXogyl8VA_Dn4Z3okC1xwXkzAogCd7Vv_mBiF8Jtr6NDEpLqXNyf2IjTrsRQmpjJryFBX5bg8ErURXwYZuF2tjhNgwXUGQBLur7eUuWxOvwiw=s0-d-e1-ft

Chad Beyler

Athletics Communication Intern
Division of Intercollegiate Athletics | University of Illinois
SID Contact: Men's & Women's Track/XC, Wrestling, Assistant Volleyball
Office: 217-300-1449 | Cell: 217-493-3777
beyler2@illinois.edu

Date: Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 1:42 PM
Subject: No. 6 @MizzouWrestling in Fifth Place after First Session of 2016 NCAA Championships
To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Thursday, March 17, 2016

MIZZOU WRESTLING - @MizzouWrestling | MIZZOU ATHLETICS - @MizzouAthletics

CONTACT – Andrew Melroe (melroea@missouri.edu)

No. 6 @MizzouWrestling in Fifth Place after First Session of 2016 NCAA Championships
McGhee, Mayes, Lewis, Miklus, and Cox advance to second round, with three scoring bonus points

NEW YORK, N.Y. – Following the first round at the 2016 NCAA Wrestling Championships at Madison Square Garden, five Mizzou Wrestling grapplers advanced to the second round with victories. Mizzou is currently tied for fifth place with 10.0 team points. Redshirt sophomore 125-pounder Barlow McGhee (Rock Island, Ill.), redshirt junior 149-pounder Lavion Mayes (Mascoutah, Ill.), redshirt freshman 165-pounder Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs, Mo.), redshirt sophomore 184-pounder Willie Miklus (Altoona, Iowa), and junior 197-pounder J’den Cox (Columbia, Mo.) all picked up first round wins and will wrestle in the round of 16 tonight.

At 125 pounds, McGhee started the Tigers off with a 3-2 victory over Drew Templeman (Wyoming). McGhee trailed 1-0 entering the third period, but the Tiger sophomore escaped to start the period and scored a takedown with just under a minute left to secure the comeback victory. McGhee will face No. 9-seeded Dylan Peters (Northern Iowa) in the second round, a rematch of the MAC Championship match in which McGhee defeated Peters, 9-5.

Mayes grabbed the second win of the day for #TigerStyle, defeating Davion Jeffries (Oklahoma), 3-2. With the score tied, 1-1, with less than a minute remaining in the bout, Mayes scored a takedown to clinch his spot in the round of 16 against Mitch Finesilver (Duke).

In his NCAA debut, Lewis scored a pin in the third period over Casey Fuller (Edinboro) at 5:39. Lewis was up 7-0 when he put Fuller’s shoulders squarely on the mat, giving him nine falls on the season. In his second round bout, Lewis will wrestle Jim Wilson (Stanford).

At 184 pounds, Miklus earned a 15-6 major decision over Corey Griego (Oklahoma State). Miklus was down 2-0 in the first period, with riding time in Griego’s favor when Miklus scored a reversal and a four-point near fall to lead 6-3 heading into the second period. Miklus stretched his lead to nine points by the end of the bout. Miklus will face Joe Ariola (Buffalo) in the second round. The Tiger grappler beat Ariola twice at the MACs, including a 10-3 decision to win third place.

Cox earned his third fall in his last four matches, pinning Hayden Hrymack (Rutgers) at 1:18. Cox scored a takedown 30 seconds into the match and recorded the fall after his second takedown.

Four Mizzou grapplers; redshirt junior 133-pounder Zach Synon (Cary, Ill.), redshirt junior 141-pounder Matt Manley (Perry, Okla.), redshirt 157-pounder Le’Roy Barnes (Belton, Mo.), and redshirt senior 174-pounder Blaise Butler (Belvidere, Ill.), lost their opening matches and will wrestle on the consolation side of the bracket. Synon will face Corey Keener (Central Michigan), who he defeated 5-4 in TB-1 on Jan. 17. Manley draws Mike Longo (Appalachian State) in his match. Manley defeated Longo, 7-5, on Feb. 12. Barnes will face Justin Staudenmayer (Brown) while Butler faces Jonathan Schleifer (Princeton).

The second session begins at 7 p.m. ET/6 p.m. CT and will feature the championship second round and first round of consolations. ESPNU/ESPN3 will carry the broadcast for the session.

For all the latest on Mizzou Wrestling, stay tuned to MUTigers.comand follow the team on 651-343-3272

O: 573-882-7167

melroea@missouri.edu

@AndrewMelroe

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT