ADVERTISEMENT

DE High School U DE and DE State Football Reports

dawrestling

Top 100 Prospect
May 20, 2007
Fallbrook, CA
www.302sports.com
SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Suffers Another Heartbreaker, Falls to Villanova 35-34 on Last Second Field Goal in Battle of the Blue

DATE:  November 23, 2013
sws:

CHESTER, Pa. -- Heartbreak hit the Blue Hens hard for the second straight week Saturday night.

This time the culprit was a familiar one and the stakes were even higher.

The University of Delaware, fighting to keep its NCAA football playoff hopes alive and needing a win over longtime rival Villanova to make it happen, surrendered a 22-point fourth quarter lead and fell to the Wildcats 35-34 in the annual Battle of the Blue game at PPL Park.

Villanova kicker Mark Hamilton booted his third field goal of the game, a 24-yard chip shot with just one second left to play, to lift the Wildcats to the season-ending Colonial Athletic Association victory.

It marked the second straight week that the Hens have fallen in the final moments after dropping a 46-43 verdict at home to Richmond at Delaware Stadium last Saturday.

The Blue Hens (7-5, 4-4 CAA) led 34-12 with eight minutes left to play but Villanova (6-5, 4-4 CAA) stormed back with 23 points down the stretch to earn the victory in this wild neighborhood series that began in 1895 and has taken place every year since 1998. Since 1998, 11 of the games have been decided by a touchdown or less.

The Wildcats have now defeated the Hens seven times in the last eight meetings and the 22-point comeback was the largest ever allowed by a Delaware team in the fourth quarter, surpassing 21-point rallies by Villanova in 1999 and by William & Mary in 2004.

"Give the credit to Villanova, they found a way to make one more play than we made," said Delaware head coach Dave Brock, whose seven wins is the most ever by a first-year Blue Hen head coach. "My heart breaks for our kids. They gave it everything they had and they didn't leave anything out on that field tonight. We just have to find a way to win these games."

Delaware appeared to have the game in-hand thanks to a 20-point third quarter that saw the Hens move away from a 14-9 lead and go up 34-12. The first half lead was built thanks to a 12-yard scoring pass from Trent Hurley to Michael Johnson three minutes in and on a 13-yard scoring pass from wide receiver Rob Jones off a fake to a wide-open Hurley five minutes later.

Jerel Harrison scored on an eight-yard end-around four minutes into the second half, Hurley hit Michael Johnson on a 22-yard scoring pass down the left side with 5:16 left in the third stanza, and Andrew Pierce's 10-yard dash into the end zone with 1:24 left in the frame upped the lead to 34-12.

But as fans who follow this series are well aware, no lead is ever safe when Delaware and Villanova get together.

Villanova quarterback John Robertson, a candidate for national Player of the Year honors who finished the night throwing for 252 yards and three touchdowns while rushing for 165 yards and a score, started the comeback midway through the final stanza.

He hit Joe Price on scoring passes of 11 and 21 yards five minutes apart and then found Gary Underwood in the flat for a 25-yard scoring pass to narrow the lead to 34-32 with 1:45 left in the game.

Delaware was able to maintain the two-point lead when Robertson was harassed on a two-point conversion try and his pass attempt in the end zone fell incomplete.

However, the Wildcats found a way to get the ball back for what proved to be the winning drive. Villanova kicker Chris Gough recovered his own onsides kick, giving VU possession at the 46-yard line. Roberts then completed two passes for 21 yards to Poppy Livers and ran four times for 17 yards to set up Hamilton's winning kick.

Hurley, who finished the day surpassing the 2,000-yard passing mark for the season and the 4,000-yard plateau for his career, hit on 19 of 26 passes for 231 yards and two touchdowns and even caught a scoring pass on a 13-yard fake from senior wide receiver Rob Jones.

Johnson, a junior who also caught a first-half touchdown, hauled in eight passes for 127 yards and reached the 100-catch and 1,000-yard receiving milestones for his career.

Harrison led the Hens with 59 yards rushing while Pierce, a two-time All-American, finished his career by running for 51 yards on 13 carries. He set a school record for career carries with 930, breaking the mark of 925 by Omar Cuff in 2004-07 and finished his career with 4,459 yards rushing, No. 2 all-time in Delaware history.

Defensively for the Hens, Travis Hawkins collected a team-high 11 tackles and intercepted a pass that set up a third quarter touchdown. Patrick Callaway added nine tackles while Derrick Saulsberry had two sacks.

Hen Scratchings:

? Delaware allowed 626 total yards to Villanova, the fifth largest total allowed in school history? Johnson extended his pass-catching streak to 24 straight games
? The game was only the second football game played at PPL Park, the home of the MLS Philadelphia Union. Delaware defeated Villanova 26-16 in the first game played here in 2011
? Blue Hen redshirt freshman punter Eric Enderson averaged 48.7 yards on seven punts, including a 68-yarder. He finished the season with an average of 45.1, shattering the UD record of 42.8 by Gene Vadas in 1991

AGATE:

Scoring Summary:

Delaware.......14.....0.....20.....0.....34
Villanova.........3.....6.......3....23.....35

1st Quarter
Delaware - Michael Johnson 16 pass from Trent Hurley (Sean Baner kick), 12:11 left
Delaware - Hurley 13 pass from Rob Jones (Baner kick), 7:02
2nd Quarter
Villanova - FG Mark Hamilton 32, 3:25
Villanova - John Robertson 6 run (Hamilton kick blocked), 12:13
3rd Quarter
Delaware - Jerel Harrison 8 run (Baner kick), 10:54
Villanova - FG Hamilton 28, 7:36
Delaware - Johnson 22 pass from Hurley (Baner kick), 5:16 left
Delaware - Andrew Pierce 14 run (Baner kick blocked), 1:24
4th Quarter
Villanova - Joe Price 11 pass from Robertson (Hamilton kick), 8:01
Villanova - Price 21 pass from Robertson (Hamilton kick), 3:17
Villanova - Gary Underwood 25 pass from Robertson (Robertson pass failed), 1:45
Villanova - FG Hamilton 24, 0:01
Attendance: 10,117

Team Statistics
Delaware Villanova
First downs
18 34
Rushes-yards
36-146 53-335
Passing yards
244 291
Passes
20-27-0 20-29-1
Total yards
390 626
Fumbles-lost
2-0 0-0
Penalties-yards
6-51 6-79
Punts-avg.
7-48.7 5-39.8
Time of Possession
26:47 33:13
Third Down Conv.
6-14 3-11
Sacks by
3-18 1-2

Individual Statistics: Rushing - Delaware, Jerel Harrison,4-59; Andrew Pierce, 13-51; Julian Laing, 9-32; Trent Hurley, 8-10; Rob Jones, 1-(-1); Michael Johnson, 1-(-5); Villanova, John Robertson, 31-165; Kevin Monangai, 12-83; Austin Medley, 9-81; Gary Underwood, 1-6;  Passing - Delaware, Hurley, 19-26-0-231-2; Jones, 1-1-0-13-1; Villanova, Robertson, 19-28-1-252-3; Underwood, 1-1-0-39-0; Receiving - Delaware, Johnson, 8-127; Nick Boyle, 4-30; Pierce, 3-48; Jones, 3-26; Hurley, 1-13; Harrison, 1-0; Villanova, Poppy Livers, 6-63; Joe Price, 5-103; Kevin Gulyas, 2-53; Earnest Pettway, 2-23; Clay Horne, 2-20; Medley, 2-4; Underwood, 1-25.

- DDD -

5-34

Last edited:
Re: UD loses to Villanova +Links to Delaware State and Wesley Football

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Offensive Tackle Erle Ladson to Play in NFLPA Collegiate All-Star Football Bowl Game Saturday

DATE:  January 15, 2014

sws:

CARSON, Calif. -- The University of Delaware will have yet another senior take part in a collegiate football all-star game this weekend as Blue Hen offensive tackle Erle Ladson has been selected to play in the third annual National Football League Players Association (NFLPA) Collegiate All-Star Bowl Game.

Ladson will be among 110 collegiate seniors taking part in the game, which will be played this Saturday, Jan. 18, at 6 p.m. (ET) at the StubHub Center on the campus of California State University Dominguez Hills in the Greater Los Angeles area.

"Playing in the NFLPA Bowl is another opportunity to play the game of football," said Ladson. "With this game however it's like a week-long interview where I can impress the over 150 scouts and team personnel here. I owe the University of Delaware for every opportunity it has given me. Allowing me to graduate and earn a quality education and the culmination of the last five seasons has prepared me mentally and physically to take the next step. No matter what happens I will always bleed blue and gold."

Former NFL head coaches Dick Vermeil (National) and Denny Green (American) will serve as head coaches. Team practices and the game will be televised live on the ESPN2.

Ladson will be one of two former Blue Hens playing on Saturday as defensive tackle Zach Kerr will be participating in the East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Fla.

A 6-6, 335 lb. history education graduate from Bronx, N.Y. (Cardinal Hayes HS), Ladson was a four-year letterwinner for the Blue Hens and a three-year starter at offensive tackle. He played in 48 career games and started each of the final 23 games of his career. He was a member of Delaware's 2010 NCAA national runner-up squad and this past season helped Delaware's offense score 30 or more points eight times and rank No. 2 in the CAA in scoring offense (31.2 points per game) and No. 3 in passing offense (240.0 yards per game).

Ladson, who will play for the American Team, will be among six Colonial Athletic Association student-athletes taking part in the game. Representing the National Team is James Madison OL Josh Wells, James Madison LB Stephon Robertson, Villanova DL Rakim Cox, Maine DB Kendall James, and Towson DB Jordan Love.

Delaware recently completed it season under first-year head coach Dave Brock with a 7-5 overall mark and a 4-4 slate in CAA play, good for a tie for fifth place in the league standings. The Blue Hens received votes in every The Sports Network Top 25 poll during the season, climbing as high as 15th on Nov. 4.

Founded in 2012, the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl gives prospective NFL players the best opportunity to showcase their talents to potential employers and fans. In 2013, scouts from every NFL club and other professional leagues attended the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl's practices and game. Nearly 100 scouts not only watched the live practices and game but also conducted player interviews and reviewed tape. Peak television ratings for the 2013 game bested the Senior Bowl in overall impressions. The 2013 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl was ESPN's highest-rated collegiate program on game day.

- DDD -

SUBJECT: University of Delaware's Zach Kerr To Take Part in National Football League Scouting Combine Feb. 24 in Indianapolis

DATE:  January 18, 2014

sws:

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- University of Delaware All-American defensive tackle Zach Kerr has moved one step closer to a career in professional football as the former Blue Hen standout has earned an invitation to next month's annual National Football League Scouting Combine.

The NFL Scouting Combine will take place Feb. 19-25 in Indianapolis and will include over 300 of the top college football players in the country. Top executives, coaching staffs, player personnel departments and medical personnel from all 32 NFL teams will be on hand to evaluate the nation's top college football players eligible for the upcoming NFL Draft. Kerr will work out with the other defensive tackles on Feb. 24. The event will once again be televised live on the NFL Network.

Prior to taking part in the NFL Combine, Kerr will participate in the prestigious East-West Shrine All-Star game at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Saturday, Jan. 18. That game will be also be televised live on the NFL Network. Kerr is the fifth UD player to compete at the event.

"I'm very excited about the opportunity to participate in the both the Shrine game and the NFL Combine," said Kerr, a 6-2, 310 lb. history major from Gaithersburg, Md. (Quince Orchard High School). "It's not only a great opportunity for me, it's a great opportunity for all the former and current players at the University of Delaware. I'm proud to represent Delaware, and If I am able to perform the way I believe I can, it will open up doors for my teammates and myself. Hopefully everyone at the University can benefit from this the same way I benefitted from playing at UD. My ultimate personal goal is to receive my degree from the University of Delaware. I would be the first in my family to do so, and when you look at the big picture, that is the most important thing. I love football with a passion, but this game doesn't last forever, which is why I will be returning to the University to earn my degree."

"We are extremely proud that Zach is receiving these accolades. They are well-earned," said Delaware head coach Dave Brock. "We are looking forward to following his progress at each opportunity, starting with the Shrine Game and following with the NFL Combine. These are rare opportunities and we are excited that Zach will make the most of them. We are also looking forward to working with Zach to ensure that he finishes his degree, which will be the ultimate accomplishment of his Delaware football experience."

Kerr is just the fifth University of Delaware student-athlete to earn an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine, joining current Baltimore Ravens starting quarterback and 2013 Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Joe Flacco (2008), current Miami Dolphins quarterback Pat Devlin (2011), former Arizona Cardinals tight end Ben Patrick (2007), and wide receiver/kick returner Eddie Conti (1999).

Eight former Blue Hen standouts were on active NFL rosters in 2013, including Flacco, Devlin, DB Mike Adams (Denver), C Gino Gradkowski (Baltimore), LB Paul Worrilow (Atlanta), DE Ronald Talley (Arizona), DB Anthony Walters (Chicago), and DB Marcus Burley (Jacksonville).

Earlier this year, Kerr earned second team All-American honors by The Sports Network, was a third team All-American selected by Beyond Sports Network, and earned All-Colonial Athletic Association honors for the second straight year.

A co-captain, Kerr recorded 57 tackles (28 solo), including 5.5 tackles for loss (29 yards), 3.5 sacks (24 yard), two pass breakups, and two forced fumbles. He ranked fourth among all CAA down linemen in tackles. He collected four or more tackles nine times during the 2013 campaign, including a career-high eight each in victories over Albany and NCAA national runner-up Towson.

Delaware recently completed it season under first-year head coach Dave Brock with a 7-5 overall mark and a 4-4 slate in CAA play, good for a tie for fifth place in the league standings. The Blue Hens received votes in every The Sports Network Top 25 poll during the season, climbing as high as 15th on Nov. 4.

- DDD -

SUBJECT: Former University of Delaware Standout Mike Adams Headed to Super Bowl as Broncos Down Patriots in AFC Title Game

DATE:  January 19, 2014

sws:

DENVER -- Another former Blue Hen is headed back to the Super Bowl.

Mike "Pops" Adams, a 10-year National Football League veteran who led the University of Delaware to the 2003 national championship, will make his first Super Bowl appearance two weeks from today after leading the Denver Broncos to a 26-16 victory over the New England Patriots Sunday afternoon in the AFC Championship Game at Sports Authority Stadium. Adams, a safety, posted four tackles and helped hold the Patriot offense to just 320 total yards.

Super Bowl XLVIII will be held on Sunday, Feb. 2 at 6:30 p.m. at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., less than a 20-minute drive from Adams' hometown of Paterson, N.J. The Broncos will play the Seattle Seahawks, who defeated the San Francisco 49ers 23-17 in the NFC title game Sunday.

"I am thrilled that Mike has the opportunity to play in Super Bowl XLVIII, especially in his backyard (Paterson, N.J.)," said Delaware head coach Dave Brock. "He is a great representative of Delaware Football on and off the field. The University of Delaware football family is proud he is a Blue Hen. Go Pops!."

Adams will be the sixth former Blue Hen to appear in the Super Bowl, joining defensive back Ivory Sully, quarterback Rich Gannon, tight end Ben Patrick, and last year's UD pair of quarterback Joe Flacco and center Gino Gradkowski. Flacco was named Most Valuable Player last season as he threw for 287 yards and three touchdowns and led the Ravens to a 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in New Orleans.

Sully played special teams for the Los Angeles Rams vs. Pittsburgh in 1980, former NFL Most Valuable Player Rich Gannon started at quarterback for the Oakland Raiders vs. Tampa Bay in 2003, and tight end Ben Patrick caught a touchdown pass for the Arizona Cardinals in 2009 vs. Pittsburgh.

In addition, former Blue Hens wide receiver Jamin Elliott was a member of the practice squad for New England and earned a championship ring when the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXVII over the Carolina Panthers in 2004.

Adams has enjoyed a solid NFL career since signing as a free agent with the San Francisco 49ers in 2004. He played for the 49ers for three seasons (2004-06) and with the Cleveland Browns for five seasons (2007-11) before joining the Broncos prior to the 2012 season. He also led the Broncos to a berth in the AFC semifinals in 2012.

During the 2013 regular season, Adams appeared in all 16 games with seven starts and ranked fifth on the squad with 64 tackles. He also contributed an interception and seven pass breakups. For his career, Adams has appeared in 146 regular season games with 73 starts and collected 542 tackles, 13 interceptions, and 49 pass breakups.

While at Delaware, Adams was a four-year letterwinner and three-year starter who served as co-captain of the 2003 Delaware team that went 15-1 and captured the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision national title his senior year. He had 70 tackles and four interceptions as a senior while earning All-Atlantic 10 honors. A 2004 Delaware graduate, Adams collected 213 tackles, 11 interceptions, and 16 pass breakups for his career. He also led the Blue Hens to the NCAA semifinals as a sophomore in 2000.

Adams is one of eight former Blue Hens who appeared on NFL regular season rosters in 2013, joining Flacco and Gradkowski with the Ravens, linebacker Paul Worrilow with the Atlanta Falcons, defensive back Anthony Walters of the Chicago Bears, quarterback Pat Devlin of the Miami Dolphins, defensive end Ronald Talley with the Arizona Cardinals, and defensive back Marcus Burley, formerly with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Delaware ranks No. 2 among all NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision institutions with seven current players on NFL rosters. Only Montana, with eight current players has more on current NFL rosters.

- DDD -

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Seniors Honored at Annual Blue Hen Touchdown Club Banquet

DATE:  January 31, 2014

sws:

NEWARK, Del -- University of Delaware football co-captains Andrew Pierce and Zach Kerr were the big winners Friday night as the seniors on the 2013 Blue Hen squad were honored at the annual Blue Hen Touchdown Club Awards Dinner at the Executive Banquet Center.

Pierce, a running back from Bridgeton, N.J. (Cumberland Regional High School) and Kerr, a defensive tackle from Gaithersburg, Md. (Quince Orchard HS), each earned three awards during the festive evening.

A large crowd was on hand to help honor the 18 seniors on the squad who teamed up to help lead the Blue Hens to a 7-5 record and a national Top 25 ranking during the 2013 campaign. Delaware head coach Dave Brock, who closed out his first season at the helm of the Blue Hens, was on hand to present the awards and to personally recognize each senior for his contributions to the program.

Family members of the seniors, as well as the senior student athletic trainers, managers, and operations assistants were also recognized at the banquet as were members of the UD athletics support staff.

Pierce was named the Outstanding Senior on Offense and received the Captain's Award and the Baker Taylor Award while Kerr was the recipient of the Outstanding Senior on Defense, Outstanding Senior Lineman, and Captains Awards. Kerr, an All-American, was not able to attend the ceremony as he is currently in Florida preparing for the National Football League Scouting Combined to be held later in February in Indianapolis.

Pierce, a health behavior science major and a two-time team captain, capped an outstanding career in 2013 when he rushed for 822 yards and 10 touchdowns and earned All-Colonial Athletic Association honors for the fourth time. A two-time All-American, Pierce led the team in rushing all four years and finished his career with a school record 930 carries for 4,459 yards (No. 2 all-time at Delaware) and 44 touchdowns.

Kerr, a sociology major, enjoyed an outstanding season this past fall as he earned first team All-CAA honors and was named a second team All-American by The Sports Network and a third team All-American by Beyond Sports Network. In addition to being selected to take part in the NFL Scouting Combine, he played in the East-West Shrine Game earlier in January. He recorded 57 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, and 3.5 sacks in 2013.

In addition to Pierce and Kerr, eight other Blue Hen seniors were honored with specific awards. Cornerback Travis Hawkins (Quince Orchard/Rockville, Md.) shared the Outstanding Senior on Defense Award with Kerr; offensive guard Bobby Kennedy (Caravel/Newark, Del.) and center Brandon Heath (Henderson/West Chester, Pa.) shared the Outstanding Senior Lineman Award with Kerr; kicker Sean Bearn (William Tennent/Southampton, Pa.) was named the Outstanding Senior Special Teams Player; wide receiver and punt returner Rob Jones (Ashwood/Tampa, Flan.) earned the Winnie Mayer Outstanding Senior End Award; running back Julian Laing (Timber Creek/Sicklerville, N.J.) and quarterback Trevor Sasek (Spring-Ford/Limerick, Pa.) were co-winners of the Unsung Hero Award; and wide receiver Mike Milburn (Demetra/Bowie, Md.) was honored with the Newark Elks Club Scholar-Athlete Award as the senior with the highest cumulative grade point average.

Hawkins, a criminal justice major, was a three-year starter at cornerback and kick returner and was an All-CARA selection in 2011. As a senior in 2013, he ranked fifth on the team with 66 tackles, led the squad with four interceptions, and broke up four other passes. He also averaged 27.4 yards on nine kickoff returns and returned the opening kickoff vs. William & Mary 97 yards for a touchdown.

Bearn, an operations management major, was a four-year regular on kickoffs and a three-year standout on placements. A 2011 All-CAA selection, he converted 43 of 48 extra point attempts and 6 of 11 field goal attempts in 2013. He kicked 39 career field goals to rank No. 2 all-time at Delaware and his 10 career field goals of 40 or more yards is a school record.

Kennedy, a criminal justice major, was a five-year team member who played in 29 career games and started the final 21 contests. He was a two-time All-CAA selection and helped Delaware rank among the CAA leaders in scoring offense and passing offense in 2013.

Heath, a history major, was a three-year starter who played in 48 career games and started the final 34 contests. He was a two-time All-CAA selection and helped Delaware rank among the CAA leaders in scoring offense and passing offense in 2013.

Jones, a history major, was a five-year letterwinner who earned first team All-CAA honors as a punt returner in 2013. He averaged 12.1 yards per return in 2013, including a touchdown return vs. Delaware State, and caught 43 passes for 479 yards and five touchdowns. He caught 125 career passes for 1,558 yards and 13 touchdowns, ranking in the all-time Top 15 all-time at Delaware.

Saves, a criminal justice major, was a part-time starter and a key backup throughout his career. He earned CAA Player of the Week honors this past season when he threw for 330 yards and three touchdowns in a 32-31 comeback win over national runner-up Towson. He threw for 1,089 yards and five touchdowns in 20 career games with five starts.

Laing, a history and Black American Studies major, was Delaware's No. 2 running back the last two season behind Pierce after transfering from Lackawanna (Pa.) Junior College. He ranked No. 2 on the team in rushing in 2013 with 363 yards and three touchdowns and finished his career with 820 yards and six touchdowns.

Milburn, a communications major, posted the highest cumulative grade point average among all UD seniors with a 3.3 mark. He was a three-time Academic All-American nominee, a National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete of the Year semifinalist in 2013, and a four-time member of the CAA Academic Honor Roll. He caught 33 career passes for 445 yards and two touchdowns in his career.

Others seniors who were honored Friday night were tight ends Malcolm Bush (Hackensack/Englewood, N.J.) and Sam Feleccia (La Salle/Ambler, Pa.), wide receiver Joe Furlong (Audubon/Audubon, N.J.), long snapper Eddie Herr (Elkton/Elton, Md.), offensive tackle Erle Ladson (Cardinal Hayes/Bronx, N.Y.), and defensive linemen Alex Pihakis (Canon-McMillan/Bridgeville, Pa.), Irv Titre (Dwyer/Riviera Beach, Flan.), and Troy Catalano (Glen Ridge/Glen Ridge, N.J.).

- DDD -

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Assistant Coaches Perry, Fitzsimmons Headed to the National Football League

DATE:  February 7, 2014

sws:

NEWARK, Del. -- Two members of the University of Delaware football coaching staff are taking their skills to the National Football League.

Blue Hens head coach Dave Brock announced that passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach John Perry and special teams coordinator/tight ends coach Devin Fitzsimmons will further their careers in the NFL. Perry was named tight ends coach with the Houston Texans and Fitzsimmons was selected as assistant special teams coach for the Detroit Lions earlier this week.

"I want to take this opportunity to thank John and his family and Fitz and his fiancee for the time and effort that they put into Delaware Football and wish them the best in the NFL," said Brock, who led the Blue Hens to a 7-5 record in his first season at the helm in 2013. "It is a terrific compliment to the Delaware football program that they are both so highly thought of and that they now have the opportunity to coach at the highest level."

Perry will join the staff of new Texans head coach Bill O'Brien, who served as head coach at Penn State the past two seasons. Perry and O'Brien served on the same coaching staff at Brown in 1994.

In his first season on the Delaware staff in 2013, Perry mentored starting quarterback Trent Hurley, who led all Colonial Athletic Association signal-callers in passing rating (155.2) and ranked among the league leaders with 2,207 passing yards and 22 touchdowns. Delaware's offense ranked No. 2 in the CAA in scoring offense (32.8 points per game), No. 3 in passing offense (240.0 yards per game), and No. 4 in passing efficiency offense (143.84).

Perry enjoyed an outstanding playing career at New Hampshire and previously served as an assistant coach at Northeastern, Brown, Dartmouth, Georgetown, and New Hampshire. He was head coach at Merrimack (Mass.) College for five seasons in 2008-12 before joining Brock at Delaware.

"I was incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to work for Dave Brock at Delaware," said Perry. "His vision and implementation of ideas has created a culture of togetherness and family which laid a foundation for consistent winning. He cares about his staff, UD athletics, student-athletes, and the entire Delaware community. I'm proud to have worked for him and the entire Blue Hen Nation."

Fitzsimmons will reunite with new Lions head coach Jim Caldwell, who was named to the position last month. When Caldwell was head coach of the Indianapolis Colts in 2009-11, Fitzsimmons served as offensive quality control assistant during the 2011 campaign.

"I want to thank Coach Brock and (AD) Eric Ziady and everyone associated with the Delaware football family for the opportunity to coach at the University of Delaware," said Fitzsimmons. "It was truly a blessing to be able to work at a premier FCS program. The fans are passionate and knowledgeable and made every game memorable. I wish the best for the players, coaches, staff, and fans. firm;y beleeve he Together we will."

A native or New Orleans, Fitzsimmons played at Bucknell and served on the coaching staffs at Shaw (N.C.), Bucknell, Kansas State, Virginia, Richmond, and Rutgers before coming to Delaware last year. He worked with Brock at Kansas State and Rutgers before joining him at Delaware.

Delaware thrived on special teams this past season under the direction of Fitzsimmons. As a unit, the Blue Hens led the nation in fewest blocked punts allowed (0), ranked No. 2 in net punting (41.47), No. 9 in blocked kicks (6), and No. 20 in punt returns (6.1). Delaware led the CAA in each of those categories.

Rob Jones was selected first team All-CAA as a punt returner thanks to a 12.1-yard average per return and redshirt freshman punter Eric Enderson ranked No. 3 in the nation in punting (45.0) and earned All-American honors. Fitzsimmons also served as tight ends coach and played a big part in the development of junior Nick Boyle, who earned second team All-CAA honors after catching 42 passes for 474 yards and seven touchdowns.

Delaware, which had eight former players on active rosters in the NFL in 2013, now has six former players and coaches on NFL staffs.

In addition to Perry and Fitzsimmons, former defensive coordinator Nick Rapone is safeties coach with Arizona; former offensive line coach Jim Turner holds the same position for Miami; All-American quarterback Matt Nagy is quarterbacks coach in Kansas City; and former all-conference wide receiver and Academic All-American Brett Veach serves as pro and college personnel analyst in Kansas City.

- DDD -

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Adds Former Blue Hen Standout Bryan Bossard to Coaching Staff; Brian Ginn Promoted to Quarterbacks Coach

DATE:  February 12, 2014

sws:

NEWARK, Del. -- A familiar face is returning to the University of Delaware football coaching staff.

Bryan Bossard, who starred on defense for the Blue Hens in the late-1980s before serving three stints on the UD coaching staff, will rejoin his alma mater as wide receivers coach.

Delaware head coach Dave Brock, who will enter his second season at the helm this fall, made the announcement on Wednesday. Bossard replaces John Perry, who was hired as tight ends coach for the National Football League's Houston Texans earlier this month.

Brock also announced that Brian Ginn, who has served on the UD staff since 2000 and was receivers coach last year, has been promoted to quarterbacks coach.

"We are thrilled to welcome Bryan and his family back to the University of Delaware," said Brock. "I've known Bryan for a long time and I've always been very impressed by what he has been able to achieve professionally. What made him most attractive to us was his passion for Delaware football and the University of Delaware. I'm excited for him to be able to share the rich tradition and history of UD football that he has lived with our current players."

Bossard (pronounced "bo-sard"), a native of Dover, Del., comes to Delaware after serving the past four years as offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at Bucknell University for head coach Joe Susan, a 1978 Delaware graduate who lettered for the Blue Hens in 1975-76.

"I have been fortunate to be able to coach with Bryan Bossard for the last four years," said Susan. "He was a friend before we began to work together. He is a strong family man, and in returning to Delaware things become much simpler for Bryan, his wife Kimber, and their two sons. He is a very good fundamental coach. His offensive knowledge is the result of a combination of his experiences at a variety of programs utilizing multiple schemes. He will be a positive role model for his players both on and off the field and will be an important component of Dave Brock's effort to bring championship football back to the special place that is the University of Delaware."

Bossard brings with him nearly 25 years of experience coaching at the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) and Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) levels.

In his 13 years as a player and coach at Delaware, the Blue Hens put together a cumulative record of 109-50-1 (.684) and made seven NCAA Tournament appearances.

"I'm very excited that Coach Brock has invited me and my family back to the staff," said Bossard. "Even though I have been gone for 10 years, I've always loved Delaware. The opportunity to return to my alma mater was something I couldn't pass up. I've known Coach Brock for a long time and have always respected him as a coach, a recruiter, and as a person. I love what he is doing and I'm excited about where he is taking this program. I can't wait to get going and do whatever I can to help achieve that goal."

A standout at Dover (Del.) High School, Bossard came north and quickly made a name for himself on head coach Tubby Raymond's squads, lettering for three seasons at cornerback in 1985-88 and earning the team's defensive Most Valuable Player award as a senior when he was a second team All-Yankee Conference selection and piled up 122 tackles. He earned his degree in agricultural business management from Delaware in 1989.

In addition to his two stints on the coaching staff at Bucknell, Bossard was on the staffs at Pittsburgh (2008-09) and Maryland (2005-07). At both places, he coached the wide receivers and returners while recruiting in the Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. areas.

While at Pitt, Bossard worked under former NFL coach Dave Wannstedt. Bossard had previously worked for Wannstedt in a pair of NFL summer coaching internships with the Chicago Bears in 1996-97. Pittsburgh posted a solid 19-7 record and appeared in a pair of bowl games during his tenure.

Two receivers Bossard coached were selected in the 2009 NFL Draft. Maryland's Darrius Heyward-Bey was a first-round pick of the Oakland Raiders, while Pittsburgh's Derek Kinder was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the seventh round. Heyward-Bey was a Freshman All-American under Bossard's watch in 2006. A year later he also helped Terps wideout and future NFLer LaQuan Williams earn Freshman All-America accolades.

Prior to his time at Maryland, Bossard spent three years coaching the receivers and returners and serving as passing game coordinator at Delaware in 2002-04 under K.C. Keeler. He helped lead the Blue Hens to the 2003 NCAA I-AA (FCS) national title with a 15-1 mark and led the 2004 squad to a berth in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. During Delaware's championship season, the Hens had three different receivers catch 50 passes or more.

Bossard was also a member of the Blue Hens' coaching staff from 1994-98 in the same capacity, leading Delaware to three consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances under Raymond, a College Football Hall of Fame member who won 300 career games for the Blue Hens. The 1997 squad went 12-2 and advanced to the national semifinals.

Bossard broke into the collegiate coaching ranks as a graduate assistant at Delaware in 1990. He then coached defensive backs at Morehouse College (1991) and West Chester (Pa.) University (spring 1992) before arriving at Bucknell for a two-year stint where he worked with the defensive backs and returners.

In 1999, Bossard coached the receivers at Army before moving on to a defensive back coaching position at Wyoming for two seasons in 2000-01.

Bossard and his wife, Kimber, have two sons, Xen (10) and Xyon (6).

TRANSACTIONS: Delaware - Named Bryan Bossard Wide Receivers Coach; Promoted Brian Ginn to Quarterbacks Coach

SUBJECT: Former University of Delaware All-American, Current NFL Starter Paul Worrilow Honored as DSBA Athlete of the Year

DATE:  February 17, 2014

sws:

WILMINGTON, Del. -- Paul Worrilow, a native Delawarean who followed an All-American football career at the University of Delaware with a standout rookie season in the National Football League this past fall, was honored Monday by the Delaware Sportswriters and Broadcasters Association (DSBA) with its John J. Brady Delaware Athlete of the Year Award.

The award was presented as part of the 65th annual DSBA Banquet, which was held at the Sheraton Hotel Wilmington South. Worrilow, who was not able to attend the event due to a team commitment in Atlanta, earned one of five awards presented at the luncheon, which celebrated the 2013 sports year in the state.

"I want to thank the Delaware Sportswriters and Broadcasters Association for this great honor," said Worrilow, a linebacker who led the Atlanta Falcons in tackles in 2013. "I take a lot of pride in the fact that I grew up in Delaware and played football at the University of Delaware. This is an award that I will always cherish."

A native of Wilmington, Worrilow was an All-State player at Concord High School who walked-on at Delaware and became a four-year starter, a three-year All-Colonial Athletic Association selection, a two-time team captain, and a 2012 All-American. He ranks fifth on the all-time UD tackles list with 377 and played a key role for the 2010 Delaware team that advanced to the NCAA FCS national championship game.

An undrafted free agent, Worrilow earned a tryout with the Falcons and made the team in pre-season. After seeing limited action early in the campaign, he took over a starting role four games in and finished with a team-high 127 tackles, which ranked 12th among all NFL players and second among rookies. He also had two sacks, one pass breakup, and four tackles for loss. He had 19 tackles in consecutive games against NFC playoff participant Carolina and Super Bowl champion Seattle in early November and added 16 stops the following week against Tampa Bay.

Worrilow is the second straight University of Delaware student-athlete to earn the Brady Award and the sixth in the last seven years. He is also the eighth UD football player and the 14th Blue Hen student-athlete overall to win the award since it was first presented in 1949.

Other winners with UD ties were Bob Trivits (football, 1954); Al Neiger (baseball, 1959); Mike Brown (football & track, 1963); Herb Slattery (football, 1966); Dick Kelley (football, 1969); Steve Taylor (baseball, 1977); Bill Vergantino (football, 1992); Daryl Brown (football, 1994); Kevin Mench (baseball, 1998); Eddie Conti (football & track, 1998); Tyresa Smith (basketball, 2007); Casey Howard (field hockey, 2009); and Elena Delle Donne (basketball, 2008, 2010, and 2012).

In addition to Worrilow's Delaware Athlete of the Year Award, the Salesianum School boy's soccer team was honored as Team of the Year; Polytech High School field hockey and girl's lacrosse head coach Lynn Richardson - a former field hockey and lacrosse standout at Delaware - earned the Tubby Raymond Coach of the Year Award; Tony DeFazio earned the Herm Reitzes Award for community service; and Mike DeStasio and Erin Wendelburg shared the inaugural Buddy Hurlock Unsung Hero Award for overcoming adversity.

Salesianum, which also won the Delaware Team of the Year Award in 2004, captured the boy's state soccer title in 2013 with an undefeated 17-0-1 record; Richardson was named the state Coach of the Year in both her sports during the 2013 calendar year; DeFazio is a tireless youth sports volunteer and game official in Sussex County; DeStasio is a national champion All-Wheel bowler from Sussex County who was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - often referred to as Lou Gehrig's Disease) in 2008; and Wendelburg is a senior member of the St. Elizabeth High School Dance Team who has overcome the death of both parents and recovered from a brain tumor.

- DDD -

Re: University of Delaware Football Report/DSU Football Links

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium-University of Delaware-Newark, DE-Saturday, September 7, 2013-Blue Hen quarterback Trent Hurley's completed 24 passes out of 31 attempts for a total of 328 yards along with 4 touchdown passes of 55 to Michael Johnson (4 receptions for 100 yards) (5 and 33 yards to Rob Jones 3 receptions for 43 yards Jones also ran a punt for 62 yards for one of the other touchdowns) (25 yards to Nick Boyle 3 receptions for 55 yards scored on a pass reception for 25 yards) along with Julian Laing's 9 yard touchdown run paced the University of Delaware Fightin Blue Hens to a 42-21 win over their arch-rival Hornets of Delaware State and at the conclusion of the game was awarded the Nate Beasley Award named after the late tailback who both went to Delaware and Delaware State.

Dave Brock University of Delaware Football Coach: It's hard to win then it should be I was very pleased for the opportunity along with our players with another tail of paths as we didn't play well in the second half part of that was my fault that the game was in hand but not to take any chances on defense but we got some good breaks that the game dictated as we went for it on 4th down and it was disappointing that we have to go for the play on 4th and 2 and very hard for our squad to go 2-0."

"Trent did a good job and working with the teammates that have to go week in and week out along with having their ways these guys made a decision the entire time for the run we are going to create a 1 on 1 on the outside and he did a great job at managing at making decisions and his throwing is the type of plays that we have scored on so fast and wore Delaware State down when the run game hasn't shown up today and I was disappointing but we have to work on that in practice."

For the Hornets at 0-1 scored their touchdowns in the second and third quarters on 2 Cory Murphy passes of 4 and 7 yards to Malik Golson as he had 30 completions out of 45 attempts for 302 yards, one in the fourth quarter as Esiyah Obado's 18 yard fumble recovery.

Winners of the Nate Beasley Awards

2011 Tim Donnelly, Delaware

2012 Paul Worrilow, Delaware

2013 Trent Hurley, Delaware

Delaware improves to 2-0 as they take on the United States Naval Academy on Saturday, September 14, 2013 while Delaware State falls to 0-1 will take on Towson University in Baltimore.

Link: Trent Hurley's 4 td passes paces Delaware in win

SUBJECT: Hills Leads the Way as White Team Downs Blue 21-0 in University of Delaware Football Spring Game

DATE:  May 3, 2014

sws:

NEWARK,
Del. -- University of Delaware rising sophomore running back Wes Hills
was the star for the White team on Saturday as he rushed for 154 yards
and scored two touchdowns
to lead his team to a 21-0 victory in the annual Blue-White Football
Spring Game at Delaware Stadium.

The
game, played under sunny skies before an estimated crowd of 2,500,
wrapped up spring drills for the Blue Hen football squad. The game was
preceded by the annual Fandemonium
V in which families and fans enjoyed games, pony rides, face-painting,
and bounce houses, sampled food from local vendors, and listened to a
live band.

The
White team, which consisted of the first team offense and defense,
dominated the action as the squad piled up 282 total yards, including
154 yards on the ground. Defensively,
the team held the Blue squad to just two first downs and 40 total
yards. The game format saw the teams play two 12-minute quarters
followed by a 20-minute half with a running clock.

"I
thought we played with good energy and intensity today, we had some
good situational stuff, and the kids had the chance to come out and play
in front of a good crowd,"
said Delaware head coach Dave Brock, who led the Hens to a 7-5 record
in his first season at the helm last fall. "We got to see some young
guys who are starting to establish themselves. Wesley Hills showed
everybody the kind of player he is today. He is a
dynamic young guy, an explosive player, and a home run hitter. Right
now he has some ball security issues (he had two fumbles) that we have
to address, but that is what the summer and training camp is for. We
also had the chance to get a good look at some
of our young defensive guys like Jalen Kindle, Larry Spears, Blaine
Woodson, and Justin Watson and we were very pleased with the way they
played. Overall it was an exciting day."

Hills,
who saw limited action as the team's No. 3 running back as a true
freshman in 2013, was a busy runner as he carried 20 times for 154 yards
and one touchdown and caught
two passes for 33 yards and another score. He broke off on a 60-yard
touchdown run down the left sideline on just the third play of the game.
He later caught a 23-yard scoring toss from senior quarterback Justin
Burns, grabbing the ball in the flat and breaking
several tackles for the score. He saw most of the reps as sophomore
running back Jalen Randolph, who will battle with Hills for the top
running back spot this fall, sat out with an injury.

"Today
was a step in the right direction," said Hills, who carried the ball
just 10 times for 81 yards in his rookie campaign in 2013 but was a big
contributor on special
teams. "We are getting a lot better, and even though we lost a lot of
important guys (from last season), it should be a great fall. I hope to
improve on a lot of things this summer - ball security, blocking,
hitting the right holes, and stuff like that. I
have a lot to focus on."

The
White team closed out the scoring with 1:11 left in the second quarter
when Burns tossed a 39-yard strike to senior Stephen Clark on a post
pattern down the right side.
Clark caught two passes for a game-high 48 yards on the day while
Andrew Peterson and Andrew Opoku also each caught two passes.

Burns,
slated to be the Hens' No. 2 quarterback this fall behind third-year
starter and 2013 Colonial Athletic Association passing rating leader
Trent Hurley, played for
both teams on Saturday and combined to hit on 9 of 18 passes for 116
yards and two touchdowns. Hurley played the first two series and was 2
of 4 passing for 24 yards before sitting down for the rest of the day.

Defensively,
senior defensive end Derrick Saulsberry led the White team with four
tackles, all of them for loss. Senior linebacker David Mackall, junior
defensive tackle
Vince Hollerman, and redshirt freshman linebacker Jalen Kindle all
added three stops. For the Blue team, redshirt freshman linebacker Larry
Spears, redshirt freshman defensive tackle Blaine Woodson, redshirt
freshman defensive back Chris Buckley, and junior
defensive back Eric Farkas each had three tackles.

On
special teams, sophomore punter Eric Enderson, a second-team
All-Colonial Athletic Association selection in 2013 when he ranked third
in the nation with a 45.0 yard average,
booted eight punts for a 48.4 yards average, including one that went
for 71 yards.

Among
the top veteran players who sat out of the game due to injuries were
Randolph, defensive backs Craig Brodsky, Jake Giusti, and Jordan Thomas,
wide receiver Jerel Harrison,
defensive linemen Laith Wallschleger and Josh Plummer, offensive
lineman JD Dzurko, and tight end Nick Boyle.

Brock
announced on Friday the three Blue Hen Touchdown Club Most Improved
Players for spring practice. The award recipients were kicker Garrett
Greenway (Special Teams),
offensive tackle Connor Bozick (Offense), and cornerback Justin Watson
(Defense).

AGATE:

Scoring Summary

White.......7......14......0.........21

Blue.........0........0......0...........0

1st Quarter

White ? Hills 60 run (Greenway kick) 11:06

2nd Quarter

White ? Hills 23 pass from Burns (Greenway kick), 7:49

White ? Clark 39 pass from Burns (Greenway kick), 1:11

Second Half

No Scoring

Attendance: 2,500

TEAM STATISTICS

Blue
White

First Downs
2 9

Rushes-Yards
18-14 20-154

Passing Yards
26 128

Passes (C-A-Int.)
6/11/0 9/19/0

Total Yards
40 282

Fumbles-lost
0/0 2/0

Penalties-Yds.
0-0 1-5

Punts-Avg.
8-48.4

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS: 

Rushing:
Blue - Trejon Dinkins, 16 carries, 7 yards; Rich Czeczotka, 2 carries, 7
yards; White - Wes Hills, 20 carries, 154 yards, 1 TD

Passing:
Czeczotka, 4/7, 14 yards, 0 TD; Justin Burns, 2/4, 12 yards. 0 TD;
White - Burns, 7/14 104 yards, 2 TD; Trent Hurley, 2/4, 24 yards, 0 TD;
Michael Johnson, 0/1,
0 yards, 0 TD

Receiving:
Blue - Deandre Davis, 2 receptions for 12 yards; Ricky Emerson, 1 for
10 yards; Anthony Speziale, 1 for 4 yards; Dinkins, 2 for 0 yards; White
- Stephen Clark,
2 for 48 yards, 1 TD; Hills, 2 for 33 yards, 1 TD; Andrew Peterson, 2
for 25 yards; Andrew Opoku, 2 for 17 yards; Matt Rodriguez, 1 for 6
yards

Punting - Eric Enderson, 8 for 387 yds., 48.4 avg., Long 71 yds

Tackles:

White
- Derrick Saulsberry ? 4 tackles (2 solo), 4 TFL; David Mackall ? 3
tackles (2), 1 TFL; Vince Hollerman ? 3 tackles, 3 TFL; Jalen Kindle ? 3
tackles (2), 1 TFL; David
Tinsley ? 2 tackles (2); Ryan Torzsa ? 2 tackles (2); Khaliq Gatson ? 2
tackles (2); Chris Corvino ? 2 tackles; Christopher Lail ? 2 tackles
(1), 1 TFL; Patrick Callaway ? 1 tackle (1), 1 TFL; Eric Patton ? 1
tackle (1); Kivar Thurman ? 1 tackle (1)

Blue
- Larry Spears ? 4 tackles (2), 1 TFL; Blaine Woodson ? 4 tackles (1);
Chris Buckley ? 4 tackles (2); Eric Farkas ? 4 tackles (2); Khaliq
Gatson ? 3 tackles (1); Tommy
Wilmoth ? 3 tackles, 1 Pass Breakup; Justice Smith ? 3 tackles (1), 1
TFL; Christopher Lail ? 2 tackles (1); Grant Roberts ? 2 tackles (1), 1
TFL; Justice Watson ? 2 tackles (1); Brandon Snyder ? 1 tackle (1);
Randall Schiccatano ? 1 tackle (1); Mark Doe
? 1 tackle (1), 1 Pass Breakup; Nate Haase ? 1 tackle; Eric Patton ? 1
tackle.

- DDD -

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Partnering to Host Annual Be the Match Bone Marrow Donation Event Monday

DATE:  May 4, 2014
sws:

NEWARK, Del. -- The University of Delaware football team, in partnership with the UD women's volleyball team, the UD Student Nurses Association, and the UD Residence Assistants will host the sixth annual Be the Match bone marrow registry event this Monday, May 5.

The event will be held from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Monday, May 5 in Multipurpose Room C of the Trabant University Center.

Last year's event brought in a record 570 registrations, shattering the previous high of 370. Delaware has had four matches during the drives, including former Blue Hen football student-athletes Paul Worrilow, now a member of the NFL Atlanta Falcons, and Corey Olsen.

Every year, thousands of people are diagnosed with blood related illnesses and they rely on the National Bone Marrow Registry to match them with donors to save their lives.

Entering the registry only requires some paper work and a simple mouth swab, which is less then a 20-minute process. For those who are matched with someone in the registry, a blood plasma donation is all it takes 75 percent of the time.

In the past five years, the Fightin' Blue Hens have entered more than 1,000 people in the National Bone Marrow Registry through the Get in the Game Save a Life program.

Students, faculty, staff and members of the community are invited to attend the event.

For more information on the Be the Match Foundation and the May 5 event, go to www.bethematchfoundation.org.

- DDD -

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Standout Zach Kerr Sets Sights on National Football League Draft

DATE:  May 8, 2014
sws:

NEW YORK -- When the annual National Football League Draft takes place this weekend at Radio City Music Hall, at least one University of Delaware football standout is expected to hear his name called.

Blue Hen defensive tackle Zach Kerr (Quince Orchard HS/Gaithersburg, Md.), who earned All-American honors in 2013 when he led the Blue Hens to a 7-5 record under first-year head coach Dave Brock, is among the defensive linemen expected to be taken at some point during the three-day, seven-round draft.

The NFL Draft, which will once again be televised live on ESPN and the NFL Network, will begin Thursday night, May 8, at 8 p.m. and follow through to the final pick on Saturday afternoon. The first round will be held Thursday night, the second and third rounds will take place Friday beginning at 7 p.m., and the final four rounds will be announced on Saturday starting at 12 noon. Fans can follow the draft online at www.nfl.com.

The 6-1, 326 lb. Kerr was ranked No. 18 among all defensive tackles and No. 200 among all players in the most recent cbssports.com rankings and was projected as a sixth round pick. He was ranked 13th among all NCAA Division I FCS players and third among Colonial Athletic Association players, trailing only Towson running back Terrance West (No. 96) and Maine cornerback Kendall James (No. 136).

In addition to Kerr, Blue Hen 6-6, 346 lb. offensive tackle Erle Ladson (Cardinal Hayes HS/Bronx, N.Y.), and 5-10, 192 lb. cornerback Travis Hawkins (Quince Orchard HS/Rockville, Md.) were also listed in the rankings. Each of those players, as well as 5-11, 200 lb. running back Andrew Pierce (Cumberland Regional/Bridgeton, N.J.), are expected to get close looks from NFL teams as free agents should they not be selected in the draft.

Kerr, however, is the most likely to hear is name called following a senior year that saw him earn first team All-Colonial Athletic Association, second team The Sports Network All-American, and third team Beyond Sports Network All-American honors. Kerr, who finished the season with 57 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles, also took part in the prestigious East-West Shrine Game and worked out for NFL scouts at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Ind. in February.

Ladson started all 12 games at offensive tackle in 2013 and ended his career having played in 48 games with 23 starts. He participated in the NFLPA Collegiate All-Star Game at the end of last season.

Hawkins, who played for three seasons at Delaware after transferring from Maryland, appeared in 33 games with 31 starts at Delaware and recorded 168 tackles, eight interceptions, and 20 pass breakups. A 2012 All-CAA cornerback, he recorded 66 tackles, four interceptions, and eight pass breakups and average 27.4 yards on nine kickoff returns with one touchdown last fall.

Pierce, one of the top running backs in Delaware history and a two-year team captain, was a four-year starter for the Blue Hens who twice earned All-American honors and was a four-time All-CAA selection. He rushed for 822 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior and finished his career ranked No. 2 all-time at Delaware with 4,459 yards rushing and 44 touchdowns.

Delaware, which currently has eight active players on NFL rosters, last had a player drafted in 2012 when offensive lineman Gino Gradkowski was selected in the fourth round by the Baltimore Ravens.

- DDD -

SUBJECT: Three NFL Players Scheduled to Visit University of Delaware Football Youth Camp June 23-27; Register Campers Today!

DATE:  June 6, 2014
sws:

NEWARK, Del. -- Three former University of Delaware football standouts who currently compete in the National Football League will make appearances when the UD football program hosts its annual Delaware Youth Camp the week of June 23.

Registration for the camp is still available but spots are filling up fast. The camp, which will be held at the UD Athletics Complex on June 23-27, is designed to teach fundamental football skills for all students ages 8-12, and not enrolled in high school.

All-time Blue Hen greats Mike Adams, Pat Devlin, and Gino Gradkowski are each scheduled to attend one of the camp days.

Adams, who led Delaware to the 2003 national title, is a 10-year NFL veteran who led the Denver Broncos to a berth in the Super Bowl this past February. Devlin, who quarterbacked the Hens to the 2010 national title game, will begin his fourth season with the Miami Dolphins this fall. Gradkowski is a third-year member of the Baltimore Ravens who started at center in 2013 after helping lead the team to the Super Bowl title following the 2012 campaign.

The cost per camper for the week is $225. Camp hours will be from 9:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. from Monday to Thursday with Friday's schedule beginning at 9:30 a.m. and ending at 12 noon.

To register online, go to www.bluehens.com, select "Football" from the teams section, and click on the summer camps links page at the right or at the bottom of the page.

For questions about the Delaware Football Camps, contact Jerry Oravitz, Director of Football Operations, at joravitz@udel.edu (302-831-4431).

- DDD -

Re: DE High School U DE and DE State/DE Ath Football Reports

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Picked No. 23 in Athlon Sports FCS Preseason Top 25 Poll

DATE:  June 16, 2014
sws:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The University of Delaware football team has been picked No. 23 in the Athlon Sports Pre-season Top 25 poll that was announced recently by the publication.

Delaware, which will be led this fall by second-year head coach Dave Brock, joins the ranks of six other Colonial Athletic Association schools picked in the top 25, five of which are on the 2014 Delaware football schedule.

Delaware finished with a record of 7-5 in 2013, losing two games by three points or less. The Blue Hens narrowly missed out on the 20-team NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision Tournament.

"We are excited to be recognized by Athlon in its pre-season poll," said Brock, who returns 13 starters from last year's squad. "We look forward to an exciting 2014 season as we continue to rebuild the Delaware football program. We are working hard in the summer program and look forward to reporting for camp the first weekend in August."

Among the Blue Hens' top returning players are All-CAA selections in senior wide receiver Michael Johnson, senior tight end Nick Boyle, senior linebacker Pat Callaway, and sophomore All-American punter Eric Enderson as well as senior quarterback Trent Hurley.

Athlon Sports is the first major pre-season poll to include Delaware in its Top 25 ranking as the Hens were not ranked in the Lindy's and Sporting News polls announced earlier this month. The Sports Network media poll and the FCS coaches poll will be announced in August.

Eastern Washington came out ahead of three-time defending national champion North Dakota State ? which graduated 24 seniors - to take the top spot in the Athlon poll. New Hampshire was the highest CAA school in the rankings at No. 4.

Other CAA schools included in the poll were Villanova at No. 8, 2013 national runner up Towson at No. 10, William & Mary at No. 15, Richmond at No. 18, and James Madison at No. 22. Maine, the 2013 CAA champion, was left off all three pre-season polls.

The CAA was well represented in the Athlon poll, putting seven teams in the top 25, the most among the 14 NCAA FCS conferences. The Missouri Valley Conference ranked second as it had five teams ranked in the pre-season top 25.

Delaware will face five teams from the Athlon pre-season poll this fall as the Blue Hens will take on No. 4 New Hampshire on Nov. 15 in Durham, N.H.; No. 8 Villanova on Nov. 22 at Delaware Stadium; No. 10 Towson on Oct. 18 at Delaware Stadium; No. 15 William & Mary on Oct. 25 in Williamsburg, Va.; and No. 22 James Madison on Sept. 27 in Harrisonburg, Va.

Delaware will travel to Heinz Field to take on Atlantic Coast Conference contender University of Pittsburgh in the first-ever matchup between the two schools in the season opener Aug. 30 followed by the home opener the following week vs. in-state foe Delaware State at Delaware Stadium.

Great season ticket packages for Delaware's seven-game home schedule are on sale now at www.bluehens.com or by calling 302-831-2257.

AGATE:

Athlon Sports 2014 FCS Pre-season Top 25:

1. Eastern Washington
2. North Dakota State
3. Southeastern Louisiana
4. New Hampshire
5. Northern Iowa
6. Jacksonville State
7. Montana
8. Villanova
9. McNeese State
10. Towson
11. South Dakota State
12. Chattanooga
13. Fordham
14. Coastal Carolina
15. William & Mary
16. Montana State
17. Tennessee State
18. Richmond
19. Furman
20. Southern Illinois
21. Sam Houston State
22. James Madison
23. Delaware
24. Eastern Illinois
25. Youngstown State

- DDD -

For Immediate Release (Nov. 27, 2013)

THREE BISON FOOTBALL PLAYERS LAND ON ACADEMIC ALL-PATRIOT LEAGUE TEAM

Derek Maurer, Tracey Smith and Kyle Sullivan Honored

LEWISBURG, Pa. ? Three Bucknell veterans were named to the Academic All-Patriot League Football Team on Wednesday. Junior K Derek Maurer (Piscataway, N.J./Piscataway), senior DL Tracey Smith (Allen, Texas/Allen) and senior P/WR/PR Kyle Sullivan (Wilmington, Del./St. Mark's) were part of the 14-person squad. It is the second major recognition this week for Smith, who on Tuesday was named First Team All-Patriot League.

This is the fourth year the Patriot League has had an Academic All-League team. Ten different Bison have been cited with this year's three honorees marking the second-most for Bucknell. Fordham, Holy Cross and Lafayette also had three players recognized.

Maurer was Bucknell's primary kicker in 2013 after serving in a reserve role his first two seasons. He finished the campaign 9-for-13 on field goals and a near-perfect 21-for-22 on extra points. Maurer was second on the team with 48 points and his nine field goals tie him for 11th on Bucknell's single-season list. He kicked off 22 times for a team-best 61.0 average with six touchbacks.

A four-time Dean's List member who has been on the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll twice, Maurer carries a stellar 3.90 grade-point average while majoring in managing for sustainability.

A three-year starter and Preseason All-Patriot League pick, Smith was part of a strong Bison defensive line once again this season. Bucknell ranks fourth in the nation against the run, thanks in large part to Smith's career high-tying 45 tackles, seven tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks. He also added one pass breakup, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

Smith finished his career with 43 games played, 32 starts, 125 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks.

A Campbell Trophy semifinalist, Smith is a three-time member of the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll. He is a geology major who spent last summer conducting a GIS investigation of subsurface characteristics of icy debris fans with ground penetrating radar in the Wrangell Mountains in Alaska.

Perhaps the most versatile player in FCS this season, Sullivan was a starting wide receiver, punter, punt returner, holder and he also returned kicks. As a punter, he booted 63 balls for a 37.1 average with 20 landing inside the 20-yard line. As a punt returner, Sullivan ranks 12th nationally in punt return average. He returned 15 punts this year, including a 59-yarder for a touchdown at Cornell, marking the first punt return for a touchdown by a Bison in a decade. As a wide receiver, Sullivan had 11 receptions for 107 yards and one touchdown. The transfer from Rutgers also returned six kicks this year, averaging nearly 20 yards per return.

An All-Big East selection and a member of the Big East All-Academic Team while at Rutgers, Sullivan is a member of the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll and a Bucknell Student Government class representative. He is majoring in economics and political science.

To be eligible for the Scholar-Athlete of the Year award and the Academic All-Patriot League Team, a student-athlete must have at least a 3.20 cumulative grade point average and be a starter or key player in his/her sport. Freshmen or students in their first academic year at their school are not eligible for the honor.

Bucknell finished with a 6-5 mark in 2013, its second above-.500 finish in the last three years. The Bison won five of their final six games and finished the regular season ranked 15th nationally in total defense and fourth in rushing defense.

Football Academic All-Patriot League Team

Tracey Smith, Bucknell, Sr.
Derek Maurer, Bucknell, Jr.
Kyle Sullivan, Bucknell, Sr.
Brett Biestek, Fordham, Sr.
Stephen Hodge, Fordham, Jr.
Dan Light, Fordham, Jr.
Alec May, Georgetown, Jr.
John Macomber, Holy Cross, Sr.
Sam Jones, Holy Cross, Jr.
Mike Fess, Holy Cross, Sr.
Mark Ross, Lafayette, Sr.
Brad Bormann, Lafayette, Sr.
Justin Adams, Lafayette, Jr.
Noah Robb, Lehigh, So.

Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:22:22 AM
Subject: SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football to Appear on Television Four Times in 2014 as Part of CAA Package; CAA Football Media Day Set for July 23

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football to Appear on Television Four Times in 2014 as Part of CAA Package; CAA Football Media Day Set for July 23

DATE:  July 22, 2014

sws:

RICHMOND, Va. -- University of Delaware football will appear on live television four times during the upcoming 2014 season, including three games that are part of the Colonial Athletic Association television package that was released on Tuesday by the league office.

In addition to Delaware' season opener at Pittsburgh on Aug. 30 set to be aired live on ESPN3 (12 noon), the Blue Hens will also appear on live television Sept. 27 at James Madison (4 p.m. on Comcast SportsNet), Oct. 18 at home vs. Towson (12:30 p.m. on Comcast SportsNet), and Oct. 25 at William & Mary (12:30 on Comcast SportsNet). The game vs. defending national runner-up Towson was originally scheduled for a 3:30 p.m. start at Delaware Stadium.

The CAA will hold its annual CAA Football Media Day on Wednesday, July 23, at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore beginning at 9 a.m. Head coaches and players from the 12 CAA member schools will be on hand to conduct interviews with media members who cover the league. The CAA will also be producing live and taped videos as part of the event on www.caasports.com.

In addition to Delaware head coach Dave Brock, Blue Hen standouts Michael Johnson and Pat Callaway will also be on hand at CAA Football Media Day conducting interviews. Delaware fans can tweet questions about the upcoming season to Johnson and Callaway on Delaware's Twitter site @UDBlueHens using the hashtag #BlueHensatMediaDay. Answers will be posted on Instagram at instagram.com/udbluehens throughout the day.

The CAA announced a schedule of 24 games that will be televised by conference broadcast partners NBC Sports Network, NBC Sports Regional Networks, and American Sports Network in 2014.

The 2014 season will mark the CAA's third year of a five-year broadcast agreement with NBC Sports Network. The Emmy Award-winning network is the 24/7 cable television home for NBC Sports, and is available in more than 85 million households. In addition, NBC Sports Live Extra ? NBC Sports Group's live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices and tablets ? will stream each of the four CAA Football games on NBCSN.

NBC Sports Regional Networks ? which includes Comcast SportsNet ? consists of 11 regional networks that deliver more than 2,400 live sporting events annually to more than 43 million homes. NBC Sports Regional Networks will carry a total of 11 CAA Football contests in 2014.

Additionally, nine CAA Football games will be broadcast on the American Sports Network, the conference's newest television partner. ASN is a collegiate sports initiative of the Sinclair Broadcast Group, which has affiliates that reach approximately 38.9-percent of U.S. households.

Specific Comcast SportsNet and American Sports Network clearances will be announced each week throughout the season.

In addition to the linear broadcasts, every Comcast SportsNet and American Sports Network game in the CAA Football package will be simulcast digitally to out-of-market areas for free on CAA.tv. Digital broadcasts on CAA.tv will be blacked out in areas where the telecast is available via local cable providers.

CAA Football's 2014 television package kicks off on Sept. 13 with a non-conference matchup of Lehigh at New Hampshire on ASN. The national NBC Sports Network package gets underway on Oct. 11 with William & Mary at New Hampshire.

A complete list of CAA Football games on NBC Sports Network, Comcast SportsNet and American Sports Network is available online at www.caasports.com.

- DDD -

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Opens 2014 Preseason Camp, First Scrimmage Set for Saturday

DATE:  August 4, 2014

sws:

NEWARK, Del. -- Beautiful sunny skies greeted the University of Delaware football squad as the Blue Hens took part in the first day of preseason practice Monday afternoon at the Delaware Practice Fields.

Delaware's 95-man roster went through multiple drills, position-by-position skill sessions, seven-on-seven drills, and plays from scrimmage as part of the two-hour plus session held under temperatures in the low-80s.

Blue Hen head coach Dave Brock, who will begin his second season at the Delaware helm this fall, was happy to finally get preseason drills underway and pleased with the team's reaction to the first day of practice.

"It's great to have the players back and on the practice field," said Brock, who led his first Delaware team to a 7-5 record last fall. "Our energy was good today and it was great to see a lot of guys running around and the younger guys flying around. It's nice to see the guys who you would expect to stand out really stand out. MJ (senior wideout Michael Johnson) had an outstanding practice as you might he imagine he would and (quarterback) Trent Hurley was phenomenal in his first day back. And we have brought in some talented kids. We will go back, watch the tape, and have a better feel for it. It's going to be a physical camp and we will practice a lot of situational football."

Hurley, a senior who led the Colonial Athletic Association in passing efficiency a year ago and will become the first Blue Hen to start three straight years at quarterback since Matt Nagy in 1998-2000, had several big throws during the scrimmage section of practice Monday, hitting Johnson on a 70-yard bomb for a touchdown down the right sideline and just a few snaps later finding senior wide receiver Stephen Clark on another long gain.

Delaware will continue single practices on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday beginning at 3 p.m. and will close out the week with the first scrimmage on Saturday, Aug. 9, at 3:30 p.m. at Delaware Stadium. Delaware's annual Media/Photo Day is set for Sunday, Aug. 10, at 3:30 p.m. All Delaware practices as well as the scrimmage and Media Day are open to the public.

- DDD -

This post was edited on 8/26 12:53 AM by dawrestling

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Finalizes Agreements to Play Five Atlantic Coast Conference Opponents Through 2020 Season

DATE:  August 8, 2014
sws:

NEWARK, Del. -- Atlantic Coast Conference opponents will be familiar names on the University of Delaware football squad's schedule in the coming seasons, UD Director of Athletics and Recreation Services Eric Ziady has announced.

Delaware has finalized deals with five ACC schools to play road games against teams from that powerful NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision conference over the next six seasons.

The Blue Hens, who will open the 2014 campaign Aug. 30 at ACC opponent Pittsburgh, have also worked out agreements to travel to the University of North Carolina (Sept. 26, 2015), Wake Forest (Sept. 17, 2016), Virginia Tech (Sept. 2, 2017), Pittsburgh (Aug. 31, 2019), and North Carolina State (Sept. 5, 2020).

Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina all played in bowl games following the 2013 season while Virginia Tech, North Carolina State, and Pittsburgh all appeared in bowl games during the 2012 campaign.

Ziady noted that he is still looking to schedule an NCAA FBS opponent for the 2018 season.

"It is exciting for us to have the opportunity to play some of the nation's top football programs on our schedule year in and year out," said Ziady. "Playing schools from the ACC gives our student-athletes the chance to compete against some of the top teams in the country and I know our fans will be excited to see these opponents on the schedule and to visit some outstanding venues to cheer on the Blue Hens."

"These future schedules represent a great opportunity for the players in our program to compete against some of the best teams in the country," said Delaware head coach Dave Brock. "We look forward to the opportunity to compete annually against some of the nation's best. This will create great excitement for our football team and for all the people who love Delaware football."

Since the 2003 season, the Blue Hens have played eight games against FBS opponents, facing Navy (2003, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2013), and Maryland (2008).

- DDD -

Sent: Friday, August 8, 2014 9:02:31 PM
Subject: University of Maryland Football Media Schedule and Notes

SATURDAY, AUG. 9

· Coach Edsall will be available to the media at 3:40 p.m.

· Practice is scheduled for 4:15 to 5:45 p.m. and is open to the media. K Brad Craddock and WR Stefon Diggs will be available immediately following the workout.

· Parking will be available in Lot 1 (open for all campus visitors throughout the day).

· Practice times and dates are subject to change.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Matt Taylor (taylormd@umd.edu)

August 8, 2014 Matt Bertram (mbertram@umd.edu)

Head Coach Randy Edsall

[/URL]COLLEGE PARK, Md. ?[/URL]

On if there is any update on Evan Mulrooney or Sean Christie:

"No. We're still waiting to get back results on some tests that were done. I went up and saw [Evan] today. He's doing well. I think he'll still be in the hospital through the weekend and then hopefully we'll have some more information after that and he'll be out really soon. Sean, we're waiting for word from the doctor. He had an MRI, so we'll see where he's at."

On if he would consider moving Will Ulmer from quarterback:

"I told Will during the recruiting process that he'll be a quarterback until he comes to me and tells me he doesn't want to be a quarterback. We're working him at quarterback and we're developing him as quarterback. It he doesn't think that he wants to be a quarterback anymore then he'll come and tell me that."

On if Shane Cockerille has improved:

"I think Shane is a little bit better than he was in the spring. Again, there are things he still needs to work on. He needs to get his elbow up a little bit when he throws and just some mechanical things that he's got to do all the time. He does them sometimes, but he's not doing them all the time so sometimes the accuracy isn't where it needs to be. We've got to just continue to get him to focus on all those little things."

On P.J Gallo's improvement as a pass catcher:

"P.J's a guy that can line up on the ball and can also flex out. He's in a great competition with Andrew [Isaacs] and also with Derrick [Heyward]. It's going to be interesting to see how that all plays out. P.J.'s just got to keep improving because he's got great competition at that position."

On the running back competition:

"I think there is great competition there. Brandon [Ross] has put the ball on the ground a little bit, which I don't like. We have some guys that have missed some assignments. Again, we're looking for those guys that can be consistent with everything they're doing in terms of ball security, in terms of catching the ball, in terms of pass protection and in terms of their assignments. It's too early to say this guy is sticking out or that guy is sticking out, but again, we'll have a little bit of a scrimmage today with redzone and tight redzone and short yardage and goal line. We'll have a bigger scrimmage on Saturday."

"Like I said, I hope that somebody takes the bull by the horns and just separates them self. If nobody does then we're going to have to make a decision on who are the two or three guys that have earned the right to play. Again, you can't get four guys reps during the season. You can hardly get two guys reps there at that position. They are going to determine that. I hope that it'll be determined when those guys determine it."

On the settlement between the ACC and Maryland:

"Just glad that it's over and we can just focus on the season and focus on football."

On the freshman class:

"I'm pleased with the freshman class. Let's reserve judgment until we get enough of a book on them here in preseason to be able to make any comments as they get into some of the scrimmage situations and more game like situations. Let's see how they respond. Practice is one thing, but then when you get into the scrimmages, that's another. I'm very pleased with the overall group. I think it's a very good group and one that works hard. You can tell that they have a lot to learn. Again, I think the biggest thing from high school to college is just the technique. It's so much different. For some of these guys, they've been coached, but they might not have had the extensive coaching they're getting here and all the meeting time and everything else. How do they take it from the meeting room to the field and then when they get a little bit tired in the up tempo that we go, can they manage that. Overall I'm very pleased with the group. Those guys will separate themselves, but I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far."

On if adding more pads adds more intensity to practice:

"I thought we had pretty good intensity yesterday. Here's the thing, I'm never going to be satisfied after we get out here and everything because, again, I'm trying to get them to understand that we are striving for perfection each and every day. We might not get there, but we're going to strive for it. I'm still looking for us to go from start to finish without any ebbs and flows to that practice. Sometimes some sides of the ball make more plays than others, but in terms of that consistent effort running to the ball and finishing plays on offense, that's what we're looking for and we're not quite there yet. Now that we have the full pads on, all that's going to do is allow us to a little scrimmaging, but we'll still do some drills where we tag off and some drills where we thud. Of course today we'll have scrimmaging, but even though we're in full pads, other days we won't be going live."

On if he saw improvement from the receivers:

"I thought we were better in practice three and four, but still not at the level that we expect out of them. I thought we were better and we'll continue to get better. I think the biggest thing there is once we get through Sunday; we'll sit down as a coaching staff and say, who are our three best guys? Then come out here on Tuesday and kind of practice that way. That's the thing we're always looking for. Even though you'll see some guys in the slot and see guys on the outside, it's still a situation of who are our best three or who our best four, when you go into a four wide receiver set. Just because you see a guy at No. 2 right now, I'm not going to do too much with the depth chart until after our first scrimmage."

On JaJuan Delaney:

"I think he's playing with a little bit more effort and intensity than he did in the spring. That's good to see and that's what we saw in film from high school. Maybe it's him feeling more comfortable coming off that injury. That's one thing you've got to take a look at, or at least I do, from the standpoint that he might have not felt so comfortable cutting it loose in the spring. Now I see a guy who is starting to cut it loose more. He's being more physical. Like all those young kids, he's just got to get more consistent. That's the one thing he's lacking right now is consistency. All the young kids, especially the lineman, it's the technique. At this level you've got to be able to punch and keep the hands in. Too many of them are going in and trying to hug the bear. Those are some of the big thing that we're concentrating on with those young linemen."

On Jeremiah Johnson:

"I thought he was a little bit rusty as we first got started. You could start to see him get a little more comfortable and more confident. When you come off the toe and you come off the hamstring, that's probably natural. Then you come out here and you do all the things that you did before. I like the progress that he's making and he's just going to continue to get better and like I said, he hasn't had any ill effects with the toe or with the hamstring, which is good."

Dave Brock ready for 2nd year at the helm of the University of Delaware Football Squad

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium-University of Delaware-Newark, DE-Sunday, August 10, 2014: On a warm football media day that was held at Delaware Stadium, second year head coach Dave Brock is ready for the upcoming season at the University of Delaware along with his Multiple Magic Offense that he runs and a 4-3 defense to stop the run and after a 2013 record at 7-5 he along with the football squad hope to improve a with a lot of confidence so their goal is to make the 2014 FCS Subdivisional Football playoffs but before the season CAA season starts their season opener on Saturday, August 31, 2014 on the home stadium of the Pittsburgh Steelers where they will face the Pittsburgh Panthers a very competitive ACC opponent

Coach Brock returns a total of 68 letterwinners 30 on offense, 32 on defense along with 6 kickers and specialist. The key fact is the need to replace the graduated Andrew Pierce who set a lot of Blue Hen All Purpose Yards record. They return 13 starters 6 on offense and defense along with 1 kicker/specialist.

Dave Brock on his 2nd year on the upcoming football season at Delaware: "When you talk about program goals you certainly want to be a playoff team as I have discussed with the players is to be the best team in the Colonial Athletic Association and we are one of the best teams in the country as our goal to reach the NCAA championship that is what I expect so far we think that the playoffs at Delaware in how the bar is set." "Trent Hurley did a nice job for us last season but I look at different areas of our offense that has put us in a position with a 5th year qb (Hurley) which finds our team to find a way to win as Trent is top person in pass efficiency and he is ready to go for us." Jalen Randolph is a good running back along with breaking tackles and Wes Hills will see his debut at rb this year they are very explosive then will evaluate some freshman."

"Michael Johnson at wide receiver is one of the best receivers in the nation we anticipate him to play like that as we expect him to play well with the statistics that he had last year along with making the big plays for us which put us in a position to win games we expect Mike to get a lot of touches with the ball make the most of it he is in great shape and has worked hard during the offseason to improve himself for 2014." "At the scrimmage yesterday we saw some good tight end kids in fr Jake Powell and Brandon Whaley both kids are 6'4 and 6"5 they are going to be a huge asset to our program."

"Patrick Calloway led us in tackles last season he is productive he didn't get a lot of reps but has played so much football and made a lot of plays we need to get a look of other defensive players Derek Battle who has been on this squad for 4 years but needs the playing time." "We also have David Mackel did a good job for us as we got him in a new defensive position he is in shape and not injured I am really excited about him."

"Our offensive line is the toughest thing for us to get going in camp this year it is determined on working together Zack Kerr and JD Dzurka started for us last year Connor Bozick played a lot for us we feel like that we have 3 returners on the front Will Lewis is a new player that we have to develop at offensive tackle and Brody Kern will help us at center and is a red shirt freshman there are no other options and is a talented person."

"The first game at Pittsburgh for us is a great opportunity for our football program as we take on the ACC tough schools that will help us to prepare for the CAA season and I am looking forward to play at Heinz Field."

Key returners for the Blue Hens for 2014 is as follows:

Offense Nick Boyle Sr TE Colonial Athletic Association Pre Season First team for 2014

Ben Curtis, Jr OL

JD Dzurko, sr OL

Jerel Harrison jr wr

Trent Hurley sr qb 172 completions out of 268 yards for 2207 yards 22 td;s 7 interceptions

Michael Johnson sr wr Sports Network Pre Season All American for 2013 (2013 statistics 60 receptions for 1035 yards 9 td's Kickoff Returns 29 carries for 606 yards)

Jalen Randolph so rb 65 carries for 319 yards 5 touchdowns

Eric Enderson sr punter 60 punts for 2701 yards

Punt Returns Wes Hills 1 reception for 6 yards

Defense:

Craig Brodsky jr db (interceptions 3 INT's for 6 yards

Patrick Calloway sr lb 120 tackles 50 solo

Vince Hollerman, jr dl

David Mackell sr lb

Mario Rowson sr db

Derek Saulsberry sr dl (tackles for loss 14 tackles for 69 yards and for qb sacks 8 tackles for 45 yards

2014 University of Delaware Football Schedule

August 30 at Pittsburgh at Heinz Field 12:00 pm

September 6 Delaware State 6:00 pm

September 13 Colgate 6:00 pm

September 27 at James Madison TBA

October 4 Sacred Heart 3:30 pm

October 11 Elon (Parent and Family Weekend) 3:30 pm

October 18 Towson (Homecoming) 3:30 pm

October 25 at William and Mary tba

November 1 Rhode Island 12:00 pm

November 8 at Albany TBA

November 15 at New Hampshire tba

November 22 Villanova (Hall of Fame Day) 12:00 pm

For tickets on all University of Delaware athletic events go online at www.bluehens.com

This post was edited on 8/15 1:22 PM by dawrestling

This post was edited on 8/26 12:54 AM by dawrestling

Former Dover High product Brian Bossard returns home to coach University of Delaware Blue Hens as wide receivers coach for 3rd time

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium-Newark, DE-August 10, 2014-Bryan Bossard a former product out of Dover High School and at the University of Delaware returns home to his native state as a wide receivers coach for 2nd year head coach Dave Brock.

The former Senator from Dover High School played both tailback and defensive linebacker and with the Blue Hens as a cornerback from 1985-88 under former head coach Tubby Raymond has earned the Most Valuable Player Award and graduated in 1989 with a Agricultural Business Management Degree. From there, Bossard has coached at Bucknell twice and just recently from 2010-13 under former Blue Hen standout and head coach Joe Susan, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Army, Wyoming, West Chester and Morehouse College.

I'm very excited that Coach Brock gave me a call asked if I was interested and I said extremely it is good to come back home as my wife Kimber is a Glasgow High graduate she is a Delaware grad everywhere I would look this is my first Saturday here to enjoy the Delaware football tradition."

"At the scrimmage we have got some great talent on our squad it is good to see the hitting along with the players competing our freshman I like how hard they compete there is nothing for you to compare to college football this is the learning curve in how you have to be along with a long process."

"I like all the receivers had plays we are still in the evaluation process in looking on who is going to do what in different positions my biggest concern is what you did yesterday is can you put the scrimmages on tape can you replicate good days consistently." "It is pretty simple game that is where the stress factor comes it is good to see Michael Johnson, 2013 All CAA and All American all the guys have been around he is a for real good football player and I'm glad he is wearing Blue and Gold I enjoy watch him (Michael Johnson)playing on the gridiron."

"At Dover High where I lettered as a running back and I have pride from Kent County I'm a downstate person I don't care if it's an upstate team as I consider Middletown to be an upstate team in which they are not I have pride in Kent County as I hear they are going to tear down the old Dover High School on Pat Lynn Drive which is a sad moment which is a part of my growth and has helped me to mature on the football field as where I am right now people who love Delaware are from The First State a little which is Blue Collar state my brother lives outside of Philadelphia where share things that I tell him that Delaware is for me not for him but I am excited to be back and to help rekindle that Coach Raymond has instilled in me I have a lot of my former teammates that I had played with are back and to come watch the football practices hopefully they can get a view there is the Delaware way this is what we do and it is good seeing former UD wide receiver Eddie Conti is moving back into town Jammin Elliott, current Colts linebacker Mike Adams and former fullback Darryl Brown are back to share with the current players on the tradition of what Delaware football this is a Blue Hen family."

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Announces Hiring of David Arthur as Assistant Director of Athletics/Sports & Entertainment Sales

DATE:  August 22, 2014
sws:

NEWARK, Del. -- David Arthur, a University of Delaware graduate who has spent the last eight years working in the sports marketing field throughout the state, has joined the UD Athletics Department in the new position of assistant director of athletics/sports & entertainment sales.

In his role at Delaware, Arthur will be responsible for recruiting and attracting local, regional, and national events to UD's first-rate athletics facilities, including sporting events, trade shows, concerts, commencement exercises, banquets, corporate events, and youth and high school championships, and using his experience and connections within the state and throughout the region to develop strategies to increase group ticket sales to Blue Hen athletics events. He will begin his tenure at Delaware on Sept. 2.

"We're thrilled to add David to our team," said UD Director of Athletics and Recreation Services Eric Ziady. "He's done a great job at the Delaware Sports Commission (DSC) recruiting and attracting a wide variety of events to the state and we look forward to utilizing his experience and networking skills to grow the business model we've established for our athletics facilities at UD. He will play an integral role as we strengthen our focus on group sales to our athletic events as well as with our continued outreach to the Delaware community."

"On behalf of all the members of the Delaware Sport Commission Board of Directors, I want to wish David all the best in his new position and thank him for his contributions to growth and the success of the DSC over the past two and half years," said Dr. Matt Robinson, director of the undergraduate and graduate sport management programs at UD and chairman of the DSC. "Dave was instrumental in recruiting events that have had a significant impact on the state's economy. David is a talented, passionate, and committed professional with a bright future ahead of him. The DSC looks forward to collaborating with Dave in his new position with the University."

"I am honored and excited to have the opportunity to work for my alma mater, the University of Delaware," said Arthur. "I understand the rich history and tradition of Delaware athletics and am eager to join Eric Ziady, (Senior Associate AD) Joe Shirley, and the entire athletics staff as we build upon that great legacy. It is a very exciting time to be on campus and I am thrilled to be able to utilize the first-class athletic facilities to help meet the University's goals."

A native of Massapequa, N.Y., Arthur earned his degree in sport management from the University of Delaware in 2006.

After graduation, Arthur worked for the Newark, Del.-based Raymond Entertainment Group before joining Wilmington (Del.) Blue Rocks professional baseball club, where he held multiple positions, including the director of marketing. Most recently, Arthur served as the executive director of the Delaware Sports Commission since 2012.

The Delaware Sports Commission, which was formed in 2009, has as its mission to bid, recruit, and host regional and national sporting events at all levels of competition in the State for the purpose of utilizing sports facilities in the State, enhancing the economic development of the State, and promoting Delaware as a destination for amateur and professional sports.

Arthur has a passion for community service and assisting with non-profit organizations. He is a board member of The Next Generation of Northern Delaware, which aims to develop young professionals into effective non-profit board leaders, and serves as its President. Arthur also serves on the board of Kind to Kids, a charity dedicated to helping Delaware's children in need. In addition, Arthur mentors students from the Delaware Youth Leadership Network and is a graduate of the 2013 class of Leadership Delaware.

Arthur and his wife, Lauren, a fellow UD graduate, reside in the Pike Creek area.

TRANSACTIONS: Delaware - Named David Arthur Assistant Director of Athletics/Sports & Entertainment Sales

- DDD -

This post was edited on 8/26 12:47 AM by dawrestling

SUBJECT: Boyle, Callaway, Giusti, Johnson Selected as Captains for 2014 University of Delaware Football Squad

DATE:  August 23, 2014
sws:

NEWARK, Del. -- Four standout seniors, each of whom will play a key role as the University of Delaware football squad looks to earn its first postseason berth since 2010, have been selected as captains for the 2014 season, head coach Dave Brock announced Saturday.

Tight end Nick Boyle (High Point Regional/Wantage, N.J.), linebacker Patrick Callaway (Martin Luther King/Decatur, Ga.), safety Jake Giusti (Fletcher/Neptune Beach, Fla.), and wide receiver Michael Johnson (Gainesville/Gainesville, N.J.) were selected as captains for the upcoming season from a vote of the 16 seniors on the squad and the coaching staff.

Delaware, which opens the season this Saturday, Aug. 30, at Pittsburgh, will have four captains for the first time since the 2011 team had five players serve in that leadership role. The Blue Hens also had four or more captains during the 1996 and 2008 campaigns.

"There will be a lot on each kid's table," said Brock of the captains, who will lead a young team that includes 23 true freshmen and 20 redshirt freshmen. "I think they are up to it. You want a lot of leaders on your team and a collection of guys bringing everyone together. These four know that it's more about what you do and not what you say. They have to be conscious of the example they set and that their legacy will be about whether they can make this a playoff team. They have to do it and not just talk about doing it.

"Where they can have the biggest impact is how they mentor this special group of freshmen in terms of teaching them how we do things, the expectations that are set, and holding them to those expectations," said Brock. "And of course, the obligation of good players like these four are is to play well."

Boyle, Callaway, and Johnson each earned All-Colonial Athletic Association honors a year ago while Giusti (pronounced "justy"), the only player left from that 2010 squad that advanced to the NCAA FCS title game, returns to action after missing all but three games with an injury in 2013.

Boyle earned second team All-CAA honors as a junior in 2013 when he caught 42 passes for 474 yards, averaged 11.3 yards per catch, and scored seven touchdowns, tops among league tight ends and among the national leaders. He has 64 career receptions and could break the UD mark for tight ends of 78.

"It is an honor to be named captain, especially at a school like Delaware," said Boyle, an economics major at UD. "To be nominated by your coaches and teammates speaks a lot about what they think of you. That means a lot and feels really good. The four of us are ready to get together and keep working to find ways to help us become a better team on the field, around campus, and in the community."

A fourth-year starter, Callaway was also a second team All-CAA pick in 2013 when he anchored the UD defense at middle linebacker. He led the team and ranked No. 2 in the CAA with 120 tackles, including 53 solo stops, while also recovering two fumbles, intercepting two passes, and breaking up four others. He recorded 10 or more tackles five times and ranked 18th in the NCAA with an average of 10.0 stops per game.

"I'm excited about being selected as a captain," said Callaway, a sport management major who has already earned his degree. "When I was recruited I was told I had a great chance to be captain before I left here. I'm glad I could meet those expectations. I'm looking forward to leading my teammates every day, showing them how to work hard not only in games but in practice, in the weight room, and in the training room."

Giusti has appeared in 39 career games for the Blue Hens and recorded 108 total tackles, including 78 solo stops. He played a key role for the 2010 national runner-up squad and was a part-time starter for the next three years before ending his 2013 campaign early with an injury. He also has three career fumble recoveries and 10 pass breakups.

"It is a blessing, that's for sure," said Giusti, an organizational and community leadership major at Delaware. "To become captain here at Delaware is something special. I am more of a show guy so I plan to lead by example and inspire the rest of the team to do great things."

One of the nation's most explosive multi-purpose threats, Johnson earned second team All-CAA accolades in 2013 when he caught 60 passes for 1,035 yards and nine touchdowns and averaged 17.2 yards per catch. He also carried the ball 13 times for 159 yards and two touchdowns and averaged 20.9 yards on 29 kickoff returns. For his career, he has caught 104 passes for 1,495 yards and 13 touchdowns, has scored 17 touchdowns overall, and has averaged 16.6 yards every time he touches the ball, the second highest mark in school history.

"It feels good to know that the team and the coaches look to me as a leader," said Johnson, a health behavior science major. "This is definitely something I have always wanted. I'm going to continue to work hard as a captain and show these guys that they chose the right person."

Delaware is coming off a 7-5 record in Brock's first season at the helm last fall. The Blue Hens open the season at Pitt next Saturday at 12 noon (ESPN3 broadcast) before returning for the home opener Sept. 6 vs. Delaware State at Delaware Stadium. Great season and single game tickets remain by calling 302-831-2257 or online at www.bluehens.com.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact Scott Selheimer at selheime@udel.edu / 302-831-8007 (office) / 302-562-5129 (cell)

- DDD -

This post was edited on 8/26 12:51 AM by dawrestling

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Announces Hiring of David Arthur as Assistant Director of Athletics/Sports & Entertainment Sales

DATE:  August 22, 2014
sws:

NEWARK, Del. -- David Arthur, a University of Delaware graduate who has spent the last eight years working in the sports marketing field throughout the state, has joined the UD Athletics Department in the new position of assistant director of athletics/sports & entertainment sales.

In his role at Delaware, Arthur will be responsible for recruiting and attracting local, regional, and national events to UD's first-rate athletics facilities, including sporting events, trade shows, concerts, commencement exercises, banquets, corporate events, and youth and high school championships, and using his experience and connections within the state and throughout the region to develop strategies to increase group ticket sales to Blue Hen athletics events. He will begin his tenure at Delaware on Sept. 2.

"We're thrilled to add David to our team," said UD Director of Athletics and Recreation Services Eric Ziady. "He's done a great job at the Delaware Sports Commission (DSC) recruiting and attracting a wide variety of events to the state and we look forward to utilizing his experience and networking skills to grow the business model we've established for our athletics facilities at UD. He will play an integral role as we strengthen our focus on group sales to our athletic events as well as with our continued outreach to the Delaware community."

"On behalf of all the members of the Delaware Sport Commission Board of Directors, I want to wish David all the best in his new position and thank him for his contributions to growth and the success of the DSC over the past two and half years," said Dr. Matt Robinson, director of the undergraduate and graduate sport management programs at UD and chairman of the DSC. "Dave was instrumental in recruiting events that have had a significant impact on the state's economy. David is a talented, passionate, and committed professional with a bright future ahead of him. The DSC looks forward to collaborating with Dave in his new position with the University."

"I am honored and excited to have the opportunity to work for my alma mater, the University of Delaware," said Arthur. "I understand the rich history and tradition of Delaware athletics and am eager to join Eric Ziady, (Senior Associate AD) Joe Shirley, and the entire athletics staff as we build upon that great legacy. It is a very exciting time to be on campus and I am thrilled to be able to utilize the first-class athletic facilities to help meet the University's goals."

A native of Massapequa, N.Y., Arthur earned his degree in sport management from the University of Delaware in 2006.

After graduation, Arthur worked for the Newark, Del.-based Raymond Entertainment Group before joining Wilmington (Del.) Blue Rocks professional baseball club, where he held multiple positions, including the director of marketing. Most recently, Arthur served as the executive director of the Delaware Sports Commission since 2012.

The Delaware Sports Commission, which was formed in 2009, has as its mission to bid, recruit, and host regional and national sporting events at all levels of competition in the State for the purpose of utilizing sports facilities in the State, enhancing the economic development of the State, and promoting Delaware as a destination for amateur and professional sports.

Arthur has a passion for community service and assisting with non-profit organizations. He is a board member of The Next Generation of Northern Delaware, which aims to develop young professionals into effective non-profit board leaders, and serves as its President. Arthur also serves on the board of Kind to Kids, a charity dedicated to helping Delaware's children in need. In addition, Arthur mentors students from the Delaware Youth Leadership Network and is a graduate of the 2013 class of Leadership Delaware.

Arthur and his wife, Lauren, a fellow UD graduate, reside in the Pike Creek area.

TRANSACTIONS: Delaware - Named David Arthur Assistant Director of Athletics/Sports & Entertainment Sales

- DDD -

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Has Tough Opener, Falls to Host Pittsburgh 62-0

DATE:  August 30, 2014
sws:

PITTSBURGH, Pa. -- It was a tough day for the University of Delaware in its football season opener Saturday afternoon at Heinz Field as host Pittsburgh jumped out to big halftime lead and never looked back in dropping the Hens by a 62-0 verdict.

Delaware (0-1), beginning Year 2 of the Dave Brock era, had its troubles all day on both sides of the ball and suffered its first shutout loss since the 1996 season.

Pitt, a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference and the winner of last year's Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl, piled up 501 yards of total offense and took advantage of three turnovers on the way to setting a team record for most points scored in a game at Heinz Field.

The Blue Hens will look to get back to winning ways next Saturday when the Hens host in-state foe Delaware State at Delaware Stadium at 6 p.m.

"We were certainly disappointed in the way we played today," said Brock. "We were outmatched, we played poorly offensively, and we struggled to tackle bigger and stronger people. It is frustrating, but in reality its just one game. We just have to move on, take a look at what we did, work hard, and put ourselves in a position to win a football game next week against Delaware State."

Delaware, coming off a 7-5 mark a year ago, was able to manage just 64 total yards as senior quarterback Trent Hurley, who grew up just about an hour away from Pittsburgh, completed 6 of 13 passes for 19 yards and was intercepted three times and sacked twice.

On the ground, the Hens managed just 33 net yards with Jalen Randolph and Wes Hills each picking up 27 yards. The Hens converted just 1 of 11 third down opportunities, recorded five first downs, and were hurt by seven penalties for 47 yards.

Blue Hen All-American sophomore punter Eric Enderson, who ranked No. 3 in the nation last year with a school-record 45.0 yards average, was a bright spot again as he punted eight times for a 46.6 yard average.

Defensively, first-year transfer safety C.J. Jones led the Hens with a team-high seven tackles while senior linebacker David Mackall made six stops and safety Simba Gwashavanhu had four stops, a pass breakup, and a forced fumble in his collegiate debut.

In all, 21 Delaware players were making their collegiate debut, including eight true freshmen.

Running back James Conner led Pitt as he carried 14 times for 153 yards and scored four touchdowns with all four scores coming in the first half as the Panthers built a 42-0 lead. Quarterback Chad Voytik hit on 10 of 13 passes for 84 yards and two scores.

Pitt wasted little time getting on the board. After Delaware gained just four yards on opening drive, the Panthers responded with 35 yards punt return by All-American Tyler Boyd to the Delaware 41-yard line. After a 12-yard pass from Voytik to Boyd, Conner carried three straight times, taking the final run seven yards into the end zone for a score.

Boyd followed with a 12-yard scoring pass from Voytik with 2:05 left in the first quarter and Conner followed with three straight scoring runs of 8, 1, and 19 yards to put Pitt up 35-0 midway through the second quarter. A one-yard scoring run by Chris James gave Pitt a 42-0 lead at the break.

The Hens didn't fare much better in the second half as Pitt scored twice in the third quarter and capped the day's offensive show with an 18-yard scoring run by James with 4:11 left to play.

Delaware did have its chances but could never capitalize. Andrew Opoku recovered a fumble on a Pitt punt return at the Panther 42-yard line early in the second quarter, but on Delaware's first play, Hurley was intercepted by Todd Thomas at the one-yard line.

"It's a long season and this isn't going to define us," said Delaware senior safety and co-captain Jake Giusti. "We just have to come back and work hard this week and be ready for Delaware State on Saturday."

Hen Scratchings: Delaware was held without a point for the first time since a 27-0 loss to Villanova in 1996, a span of 220 games that was the longest active streak among Colonial Athletic Association teams…Hurley had a streak of 10 straight games with a touchdown pass snapped…Michael Johnson extended his pass-catching streak to 24 games as he caught a team-high four passes for 16 yards...TE Nick Boyle had an 11-game pass-catching streak snapped....the game was the first-ever between the two schools in football.

Scoring Summary

Delaware.....0........0.......0....0.....0
Pitt.............21.....21.....13....7....62

1st Quarter
Pittsburgh - James Conner 7 run (Chris Blewitt kick), 11:01 left
Pittsburgh - Tyler Boyd 12 pass from Chad Voytik (Blewitt kick), 2:06
Pittsburgh - Conner 8 run (Blewitt kick), 0:07
2nd Quarter
Pittsburgh - Conner 1 run (Blewitt kick), 9:42
Pittsburgh - Chris James 1 run (Blewitt kick), 1:08
3rd Quarter
Pittsburgh - Isaac Bennett 5 run (Blewitt kick failed), 11:28
Pittsburgh - Scott Orndorff 2 pass from Voytik (Blewitt kick), :14
Pittsburgh - James 18 run (Blewitt kick), 4:11
Attendance: 40,549

Team Statistics:
Delaware Pitt
First downs
5 29
Rushes-yards
31-33 56-409
Passing
9-16-3-31 11-14-0-92
Total yards
64 501
Fumbles-lost
2-0 4-1
Penalties-yards
7-47 5-45
Punts-avg.
8-46.6 2-33.0
Possession Time
40:56 34:04
Third Down Conv. 1-11
7-9
Sacks By
0-0 2-19

Individual Leaders: Rushing: Delaware, Jalen Randolph, 8-27, Wes Hills, 11-27, Diante Cherry, 1-3, Michael Johnson, 2-3, Kareem Williams, 4-2, Troy Gallen, 1-1, Jerel Harrison, 1-(-9), Trent Hurley, 3-(-21); Pitt, James Conner, 14-153, Rachid Ibrahim, 14-91, Chris James, 14-77, Isaac Bennett, 6-32, Tyler Boyd, 2-17, Trey Anderson, 2-14, Ronald Jones, 2-14, Chad Voytik, 2-11; Passing - Delaware, Hurley, 6-13-3-19, Justin Burns, 3-3-0-12; Pitt, Voytik, 10-13-0-84; Anderson, 1-1-0-8; Receiving - Delaware, Johnson, 4-16, Cherry, 3-12, Harrison, 1-5, Hills, 1-(-2); Pitt, Ronald Jones, 3-33, Manasseh Garner, 2-23, Boyd, 2-18, Conner, 1-11, Chris Wuestner, 1-8, Scott Orndorff, Isaac Bennett, 1-(-4).

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact Scott Selheimer / selheime@udel.edu / O: 302-831-8007 / C: 302-562-5129

Thanks Dave, I was wondering how the volleyball team made out.

[/B]DFRC Football Game Classics

On Thursday, September 5, 2014 2 football games were played along with the Annual Blue Gold Football game that is played every year at the University of Delaware's Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium in the first game the Jason Rigby's qb for Polytech scored 2 one yard touchdowns defeated the Cougars of Delcastle by a 36-35 score after trailing 35-22.

Jackson Argoe's first game as a quarterback for the Buccaneers of Caravel proved to be a good one along with Jake Shriner's 13 carries for 99 yards defeated the defending Division II State Champion Hodgson Silver Eagles by a 39-8 score.

More coming

Tristan Harris's 13 yard pass to Daryl Coverdale Joshua Sudler sparks Dover High in new stadium 35-28 win over Urbana of MD

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Dover High School-Dover, DE-Friday, September 6, 2014-The Dover High School Senators for their first time have moved to their new stadium along with a lot of Senators alumni that looked on at the new facility which is on Route 8 near Hartly outside of the state capital and witness the first football game at the new Dover High School football stadium and they got a real treat under head coach Dante Jones as they came back from a 21-19 deficit came back on Tristan Harris'(12 completions out of 24 attempts for 275 yards)threw a 13 yard pass to Jordan Allen along with Joshua Sudler's 11 yard run along with 2 two point Tristan Harris's 2 point PAT's paced the Dover Senators to a 35-28 win over the Hawks of Urbana High School from Frederick, MD by a score of 35-28.

Dante Jones Dover Head Football Coach: "Our team played clean up football here at the new stadium Urbana is a good team the plays are important and you have brand new shoes and played well last year we won up there from the players to the community this was a lot of people playing here in the new field Dover showed a lot of character and found a way to get back which is good I teach the kids to hustle to the ball and recover the fumble I tell our kids if we put our team together we knew about Gray from Urbana he is a good ballplayer every game is important for our and will take it one game at a time."

Other Dover contributors Devlin Locklin 16 carries for 111 yards and contributed for a touchdown run of 22 yards, John Castro 11 carries for 66 yards.

New Dover High School Stadium Football Firsts:
Toss of the Coin: Urbana defers to Dover
Kickoff: Dover receiver runs and down the ball in the end zone Dover starts 1st and 10 at their own 20 yard line.
First Play Kevin Loughlin 32 yard run
First Touchdown play in New Dover Stadium-Donovan Parnell 43 yard pass to Elijah Atkins-Colby Atkins kick first pat of game
First Penalty Goes to Urbana
First Dover Touchdown Tristan Harris 18 yard pass to Aaron Jenkins-Dover's first PAT Caroline Cashner kick

For the Hawks of Urbana Romaine Purnell 10 completions out of 24 attempts for 139 yards 2 td passes and 1 touchdown run of 13. Rashawn Gray led with 21 carries for 203 yards 1 touchdown run of 64 yards.

Delaware High School Football Recaps for 9-5-14

By David A. Willauer-The Woodbridge Raiders opened up their season as they had crowned their new football stadium with a win as Blue Raiders Running Back Logan Wescott brother of Wesley linebacker Jordan Wescott scored on a 5 yard run to tie the game at 7-7. The Blue Raiders took the lead as Shymier Vessels tackled the Appoquimink quarterback for the safety and the Blue Raiders prevailed by a 9-7 score.

Chris Miller's 18 yard field goal with 11 seconds left in the contest paced the Hillers of Tower Hill to an 18-17 win over the Harford Vo Tech. qb Matt Smith for the Hillers carried the ball 30 times for 123 yards along with 2 touchdowns and passing went 3 for 5 for 106 yards and threw touchdown passes.

Sam Ragland's 100 yards rushing paced the Hornets of Tatnall to a 21-20 win over the Highlanders of McKean in Matt Carre's debut as coach. Hornet qb Drew Kobasa threw 2 touchdowns for the Hornets in the win.

St. Georges opened their season with a big win at Laurel. Fullback Scooter Selby lead the Hawks with 138 rushing yards with one TD and and KO return for a TD. Deuce Selby, Gary Brightwell, and Angelo Ortiz added TDs as well. Tordell Kemp threw for 2 TDs in the Hawks first win as they defeated Laurel 50-27

Kani Kane's 2 runs of 8 and 66 yards, Justin Hill 1 run of 2 yards, Patrick Griffin 2 runs of 44 and 27 yards paced the Sussex Tech Golden Knights to a 51-22 win over the Tigers of AI DuPont.

2 touchdown runs of 45 and 27 yards by Tyrique Woodland paced the Glasgow Dragons to a 22-8 win over the Eagles of Smyrna in Mike Judy's debut as head football coach.

Benjamin Campbell 9/20/0 234 yards 5 touchdowns and carried the ball 18 times for 110 yards and scored 1 touchdown paced the Yellowjackets of Newark to a 50-25 win over Oxford of PA

Lasanna Brew and Frank Datillo each rushed for 100 yards and a touchdown but the highlight was when Isaiah Mitchell's key interception paced the Cavaliers of Middletown to a 27-19 win over the Raiders of Concord. This is Concord's first game for Head Football Coach Greg Mitchell.

jr qb Garrett Cannon's 6 completions out of 8 attempts for 119 yards along with 2 touchdown passes paced the Sals of Salesianum to a 28-7 win over the Riders of Caesar Rodney. Sr Jordan Downes led the Sals as he carried the ball 19 times for 121 yards and Mike Sanzone 8 carries for 77 yards.

Amontay Clanton's 3 touchdown runs along with teammates 2 touchdown runs each by James Jenkins and Shawn Savage paced the Golden Knights of Sussex Central to a 48-42 overtime win over Northwestern High School of Maryland.

The St. Elizabeth Vikings marched down the field on their opening drive on the strength of QB Brendan McClosky's right arm and scored on a 15 yard pass to Tristan Thompson. After that, the Bulldogs Defense stiffened as Brandywine went on to win 27-6. Stefon Johnson had TD runs of 6 and 24 yards. Sayvon Willis added a 3 yard scoring run and P.J. Groome scored on a 23 yard interception return for a touchdown.

Titus Nelson's 157 yards rushing along with 5 touchdown runs of 23, 29, 3, 21 and 34 paced the Redskins of Conrad to a 49-32 win over the Vikings of Christiana.

The Quakers of Wilmington Friends behind the performances of Stephen Maguire's 147 yards on 15 carries and scored on 2 touchdown runs of 10 and 3 yards, along with teammate Jake Erskine rushed for 38 yards on 6 carries and scored 2 touchdown runs of 6 and 15 yards plus Jimmy Carney's ran for 57 yards on 5 carries and scored an 80 yard kick return defeated Friends School of Baltimore by a 34-8 score.

The Lake Forest Spartans on touchdown runs by John Flamer and teammate Noah Feague defeated the Green Knights of Mt. Pleasant by a 15-6 score. The Green Knights of Mt. Pleasant had their only score of the game as qb Jashawn Johnson threw a 42 yard pass to Jiare Brown.

The Colonials of William Penn behind Reggie Carroll's 22 carries for 127 yard and 1 touchdown run of 12 yards, Shawn Wood 11 carries for 86 yards, Chi Chi Amachi 2 catches for 64 yards and 1 touchdown reception of 54 yards along with DJ Johnson's 2 completions for 3 attempts for 64 yards and 1 touchdown pass of 54 yards defeated the Spartans of St. Marks by a 24-0 score.

This post was edited on 9/7 11:20 PM by dawrestling

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Mounts Big Comeback, Downs Colgate 28-25 on Last Minute Touchdown by Hurley

DATE:  September 13, 2014
sws:

NEWARK, Del. -- Quarterback Trent Hurley somersaulted into the end zone from five yards out with just 41 seconds remaining as the University of Delaware mounted a spirited comeback and defeated Colgate 28-25 in a non-league football battle Saturday night at Delaware Stadium.

Trailing 25-14 midway through the final stanza, the Hens (2-1) pulled to within 25-20 on a one-yard touchdown run by Wes Hills with 7:03 left and then tallied the game-winner as Hurley sprinted to his right, leaped into the end zone, was hit in midair, and went head over heals into the end zone for the dramatic score. Michael Johnson then ran in for the two-point conversion to seal the win.

"I just rolled out and tried to make something happen," said Hurley of the winning touchdown. "I'm a quarterback so I want to throw the ball, but I'm not afraid to run a little bit. Once I made my mind up there was no way I wasn't going to get in."

Colgate then drove inside Delaware territory on the final possession and made a desperate attempt for the end zone on the final play, laterally the ball several times before fumbling at the 30-yard to end the game, setting off a wild celebration by the Blue Hens.

"We are thrilled with the result," said Delaware head coach Dave Brock. "It was hard-fought, back and forth, and there were some challenging situations for our team. We really battled and I'm proud of the guys in our lockerroom. The guys we need to play really well for us saved their best for last. It was what we needed and what will give us a chance to have a great year. Colgate battled and played the way we thought they would. They shortened the game and limited our possessions."

The Raiders (0-2), coming off a bye week following a season-opening 30-10 loss at Ball State, seemed to have the game in hand after reeling off 16 straight points that included field goals of 40 and 32 yards by Jonah Bowman in the second quarter, a 32-yard field goal by Bowman midway through the third stanza, and a 25-yard run by quarterback Jake Melville with 2:03 left in the quarter.

The teams met for the first time since the 2003 season when Delaware downed Colgate 40-0 in the NCAA FCS national championship game in Chattanooga, Tenn. to claim the Blue Hens' sixth national title. Delaware has now defeated the Raiders in all six meetings and the Blue Hens extended their non-league home winning streak to 22 straight games dating back to the 2006 season.

Delaware took the opening kickoff and drove effortlessly down the field, completing the 75-yard drive with an eight-yard scoring pass from Hurley to senior tight end Nick Boyle. But Colgate came back to take the lead as Bowman converted a career-long 43-yard field goal - his first of a stadium-tying record four on the day - on the Raiders' first possession and James Travellin scored on a two-yard dive. Travellin's score was set up by a 75-yard interception return by linebacker Josh Diener down to the Delaware four-yard line.

The Hens regained the lead at 14-9 on another short Hurley to Boyle scoring toss with 42 seconds left in the opening quarter, but Colgate came back to take a 15-14 advantage into the break on field goals of 40 and 32 yards by Bowman.

Another 32-yard field goal by Bowman and Melville's 25-yard scoring jaunt in the third quarter increased the Colgate lead to 25-14, setting the stage for Delaware's dramatic comeback.

Colgate moved 30 yards on its first drive of the final quarter but Travellin fumbled after being hit by Patrick Callaway and David Mackall recovered at the 50-yard line. The Hens then used nine plays to score their first touchdown since the first quarter when Hills bulled his way in from one-yard out with 7:03 left.

Delaware's defense clamped down again on Colgate's next possession, forcing the Raiders to punt for the only time in the game from their own 34-yard line. Delaware's Johnson returned the punt 17 yards to the 43-yard line to set up the final drive. Hurley completed five of six passes for 48 yards during the possession before running in from five yards out for the game-winner.

Hen Scratchings
• Hurley completed 25 of 36 passes for 257 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 32 yards and a score.  He surpassed the 400 completion mark and 5,000 yards of total offense for his career at Delaware
• Colgate quarterback Jack Melville was 15 of 25 for 135 yards passing and led all rushers with 118 yards on the ground
• Delaware redshirt freshman Blaine Woodson recorded a team-high six tackles and had two sacks
• Johnson caught a game-high eight passes for 85 yards for Delaware and led the team with 139 all-purpose yards
• Delaware has now scored a point in 206 straight home games at Delaware Stadium since 1983
• The Hens have now won 16 straight home games in the months of August and September
• Delaware will have a bye this week followed by the Hens' Colonial Athletic Association opener Sept. 27 at rival James Madison

AGATE:

Colgate........9....6...10.......0.....25
Delaware..14.....0.....0.....14.....28

Scoring Summary:
1st Quarter
Delaware - Nick Boyle 8 pass from Trent Hurley (Garrett Greenway kick), 11:40 left
Colgate - FG Jonah Bowman 43, 8:54
Colgate - James Travellin 2 run (Ty Edmond run failed), 5:03
Delaware - Boyle 1 pass from Hurley (Greenway kick), :42
2nd Quarter
Colgate - FG Bowman 40, 10:18
Colgate - FG Bowman 32, 1:21
3rd Quarter
Colgate - FG Bowman 32, 8:20
Colgate - Jake Melville 25 run (Bowman kick), 2:03
4th Quarter
Delaware - Wes Hills 1 run (Hurley run failed), 7:03
Delaware - Hurley 5 run (Michael Johnson run), :41
Attendance: 15,319

Team Statistics Colgate Delaware
First downs 22
Rushes-yards 44-232
34-112
Passing yards 135
Passes 15-25-0
25-36-2
Total yards 367
Fumbles-lost 2-1
1-0
Penalties-yards 3-35 5-25
Punts-avg. 1-40.0
2-33.0
Time of Possession 32:43 27:17
Third Down Conv. 8-15 6-14
Sacks by 0-0
3-20

Individual Statistics: Rushing - Colgate, Jake Melville, 14-118, John Wilkins, 10-43, Demetrius Russell, 12-39, James Travellin, 8-32; Delaware, Wes Hills, 12-54, Trent Hurley, 5-32, Jalen Randolph, 14-15, Jerel Harrison, 2-14, Michael Johnson, 1-(-3); Passing - Colgate, Melville, 15-25-0-135; Delaware, Hurley, 25-36-2-257; Receiving - Colgate, Brian Lalli, 5-44, John Quazza, 4-41, Alex Greenawalt, 3-20, John Maddaluna, 1-17, Russell, 1-9, Kevin O'Connell, 1-4; Delaware, Johnson, 8-85, Nick Boyle, 6-43, Randolph, 3-37, Diante Cherry 3-21, Harrison, 3-14, Brandon Whaley, 1-52; Hills, 1-5.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact Scott Selheimer | selheime@udel.edu | Office: 302-831-8007 | Cell: 302-562-5129

Blue Hen QB Hurley's Heroic efforts pace University of Delaware to win over Colgate

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Tubby Raymond Field at Delaware Stadium-Newark, DE-Saturday, September 13, 2014-After the 2003 NCAA Sub Division I Football Championships that was played at Chattanooga, Tennessee where they won their last football title by a 40-0 score with the likes of QB Andy Hall and David Boler with his receiving efforts, but today was a very close contest after trailing 25-14 going into the fourth quarter the Blue Hens have found a way to pull a rabbit out of the hat trick and they sure did as they scored 14 points on Wes Hills 1 yard touchdown run(12 carries for 54 yards) and qb Trent Hurley's (25 completions out of 36 attempts for 257 yards for 2 touchdown passes of 1 and 8 yards to Nick Boyle (6 receptions for 43 yards 2 TD's) but this time was a very close effort and won by a very close 28-25 score before a Freshman and Band Day Crowd of 15,319 looked on.

Dave Brock University of Delaware Head Football Coach: "I was thrilled with the result very hard fought game with some back and fourth challenges situations for us as both us and Colgate had put themselves in we battled I was proud of the guys and the players that were sitting to me we needed the guys to play well for us in order to have a type of a season that I hope to have we needed them to play well and tonight we did they saved some of their best for last it is what we need for us to have a great year for a good season we go by week by week my hats goes off to Colgate as they battled the way they have done and pounded the ball with seconds off the clock they have 4 possessions in the first half in the last one we tryed to jump start a drive and we came back as our defense did the work of getting the ball to start the second half I am very proud of the team."

Trent Hurley UD quarterback on the game winning touchdown: "We talked about it on the sideline saw what was there i was looking for Nick Boyle I made up my mind and flipped over the Colgate defense for the win."

For Colgate at 0-2, Jake Melville 15 completions out of 25 attempts for 135 yards on passing and carried the ball 14 times for 118 yards and scored 1 touchdown run of 25 yards Jake Travelin carries the ball 9 carries for 34 yards and scored on a 2 yard touchdown run and Jonah Bowman connected on 4 field goals of 43, 40, and 2 kicks for 32 yards each.

With the win the Blue Hens improve to 2-1 will have a by week next week and will travel to Harrisonburg, VA to take on the Dukes of James Madison.

This post was edited on 9/24 1:01 AM by dawrestling

Key touchdown runs by Colby Budgood, Alphonous Hansen,Miles Watson, 2 field goals by David Rhodes paced Delaware Military Academy in win
By David A. Willauer-Tower Hill School-Bob deGroat Field-Wilmington, DE-Friday, September 19, 2014-In a key Division II battle that took place at Tower Hill School, the Seahawks of Delaware Military Academy on 2 field goals of 31 and 28 yards along with touchdown runs of 31 yards by Miles Watson (12 carries for 98 yards) Jacob Hudson's 6 completions out of 8 attempts for 62 yards threw 2 touchdown passes of 23 yards to Mike Leonard and 15 yards to Zack Swain along with 1 touchdown run by Alphaeus Harrison of 30 yards defeated the previously undefeated Hillers of Tower Hill by a 34-14 score.
Head Football Coach Mike Ryan of Delaware Military Academy on the win: "We were excited to get a good win today as the kids that were here on our squad last season wanted this win as we lost to them which bumped our squad out of the state football tournament so we wanted that win going 3-0 and wanted redemption from last year." "We have Miles Watson, Colby Bidgood and Al Hansen as there called The Three Headed Monsters anytime I have put them in the game we have a method to the madness that they've performed tonight but give credit to the offensive line along with some adversity with some of our squad members being sick Shawn Naughton was out with a shoulder injury it is good on how they battled in the second half." "Jake Hudson is one of the toughest sophomore qb's that I've ever coach he is a very approachable young man with emphasis on how to get the ball out of our hands real quick." "Tower Hill is doing a good job at putting pressure on us but I felt that there were things that we could do to take advantage of is that we are not going to throw the ball 30 or 40 times per game Tower Hill does a good job with their offense and Kevin Waesco is a good coach and I have a great deal of respect for him we knew it was going to be a challenge they can grind them down but in order to do that we had to be very physical they didn't score on their first team Tower Hill put points."
The Hillers at 2-1 scored their touchdowns on Matt Smith's 15 yard pass to Zack Swain along with Noah Thomas's 49 yard touchdown run. Tower Hill will travel to Independent Conference rival Tatnall. Delaware Military Academy will take on Laurel at Mckean at 7:00 pm.
The Newark Yellowjackets on Benjamin Campbell's 1 yard run along with Joseph Burton's 10 yard touchdown run along with Allan Becker's 29 yard field goal defeated the Glasgow Dragons by a 16-0 score.
Kquran Rodriguez 77 yards passing total including a 47 yard pass to Malik Murray Wallace along with the 2 point pat good by Darryl Smith as he led the Rams with 112 yards paced Dickinson to a 8-6 win over the Highlanders of McKean.
Xavier Drummond's 68 yard touchdown run along with Kani Kane's 60 yard run paced the Sussex Tech Ravens to a 46-0 win over Milford. Raven QB Justin Hill connected on 2 touchdown pass of 64 yards to Travie Quillen and 50 yards to Jamont Matthews for the other scores.
2 touchdown runs by Rhett Schweizer and teammate Jamai Rice 2 touchdown receptions of 32 and 35 paced the St. Marks Spartans to a 28-0 win over Sussex Central.
qb Raymond Jones 17 carries for 124 yards scored 3 touchdowns paced the Silver Eagles of Hodgson to a 34-6 win over the Riders of Caesar Rodney.
Brandon Batts 56 yard touchdown paced Mt. St. Joseph to a 35-20 win over Dover.
Chucky August ran for 273 yards on 35 carries as Laurel High outlasted Smyrna, 57-42, in a high-scoring nonconference football game on Friday night.

Reggie Green added 162 yards on 22 carries for the Bulldogs (2-1), who won their second game in a row.

Laurel scored 20 points in the second quarter to open up a 26-14 halftime advantage on the Eagles (1-2).

Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0:[/B] Quarterback Justin Hill threw a pair of touchdown passes and ran for another as the Ravens improved to 2-1 with the win.

Xavier Drummond ran 68 yards for Sussex Tech's first TD with Kani Kane running 60 yards for a TD in the fourth quarter against the Buccaneers (0-3).

Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7:[/B] The Vikings improved to 3-0 with the win on Friday. Cape has now won seven in a row dating back to last season.

Cape opens its Henlopen Conference Northern Division schedule at Caesar Rodney on Friday night.

Wilmington Friends 24, Woodbridge 20:[/B] The Raiders dropped to 2-1 with the nonconference loss to the Quakers.

Polytech 42, Seaford 0:[/B] The Panthers posted the shutout victory as they improved to 2-1 with the win.

St. Elizabeth 12, Delmar 8:[/B] The Wildcats fell to 0-3 with the nonconference loss to the Vikings (1-2).
9-20-14
Trevon Bordick's 2 punt returns of 45 and 31 paced the Wildcats of Howard to a 44-0 win over the Christiana Vikings.
2 runs by Kedrick Whitehead of 6 and 45 yards paced the Cavaliers of Middletown to a 44-6 win over the Charter Force.
2 touchdown runs of 6 and 4 yards by Najee Hall paced the Delcastle Cougars to a 34-7 win over the Jaguars of Appoquinimink.
2 touchdown runs by John Nockett of 11 and 6 yards paced the Auks of Archmere to a 42-18 win over Tatnall.
Titus Nelson's touchdown runs of 50, 57 and 58 yards paced the Redskins of Conrad to a 55-14 win over Moyer Academy.
Colby Reeder 17 carries for 70 yards scored on a 19 yard touchdown along with Mike Sanzone's 31 yard reverse and Garrett Cannon's 18 yard pass to Jake Sherlock paced the Sals as they came back from a 7-0 deficit as they defeated the Raiders of Concord by a 21-7 score. Xander Blue 13 carries for 76 yards Avery Roberts led the Raiders with 10 carries for 55 yards.
Sayvon Willis 13 completions out of 19 attempts for 210 yards connected on a 79 yard pass to Sean Scott 5 receptions for 132 yards put Brandywine up 6-0 but the Spartans of Lake Forest on John Flamer's 13 carries for 64 yards scored on a 2 yard run and qb Logan Simpson's go ahead touchdown in overtime defeated Brandywine by a 13-12 score in overtime.
Reggie Carroll 184 yards rushing scored 3 touchdowns paced the top ranked Colonials of William Penn to a 56-20 win over the Tigers of Alexis I Dupont.

Reggie Carroll's 3 touchdown runs paces William Penn in Key Flight A Victory
By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Bill Cole Stadium-William Penn High School-New Castle, DE-Saturday, October 4, 2014: On a warm day in the confines of Bill Cole Stadium named for the former running back from the good ol days of his playing and coaching years with the Colonials of William Penn along with his playing days with the Blue Hens of the University of Delaware in the 1940's in one of the classic rivalries of New Castle County, DE the Colonials of William Penn still prove why that they are the number one team in the state as they have proved today after a safety for the Colonials 2-0 lead so but the outstanding performance of WP running Reggie Carroll proved to be the difference in the game as he carried the ball 21 carries for 192 yards along with Marvell Watts 2 touchdown runs of 27 and 12 yards defeated the Yellowjackets of Newark in a very competitive Flight A contest by a 51-15 score.
Reggie Carroll on his performance vs. Newark: "We were playing for the alumni here in the homecoming game and we made a statement and we did it on the field today we knew they were confident but for our big game we did what we had to do." "I scored my 3 touchdown runs on good plays but give credit to my offensive line they blocked and open the holes for us." "As we will be ready for Middletown we will come out with the same intensity we have to do our job."
Marvin Dooley William Penn Head Football Coach: "During the week we worked on the kickoffs last week all the week we did well except vs. Appoquinimink we struck the ball back to the 20 yard line all we have set and tone the defense did well to start the game on the right foot with the huge tackle in the end zone for the 2-0 lead and once when you start some positive fans in the game their qb had a hard tough time throwing the ball we put pressure with our front 4 today and they did well Newark has good athletes and have played their assignments well Coach Simpson does a good job we don't give Reggie Carroll a lot of credit he is a good player he has a good leadership on the squad I scouted Middletown last night and got all the paperwork Middletown is a team that we have to defeat in order to win Flight A of the Blue Hen Conference we have to go down to their place with enormous fans down there Mark Del Percio is a tremendous coach we have to stop ourself we have to execute in order for the win The Cavs run a veer option where Coach Delpercio's son is the qb and the run run run Salesianum and us are the pound and ground type offense and try to pull out and will prepare for that we have to be ready next week if we want it we have to work hard in order to take the crown."
For Newark, qb Ben Campbell 7 completions out of 20 attempts for 97 yards threw a 5 yard pass to wideout James Bond and James Douglas ran a 40 yard fumble recovery for a score.
With the win the top ranked Colonials of William Penn go to 5-0 and will travel to Middletown, DE to take on the high flying 5-0 Cavaliers of Middletown while the Yellowjackets of Newark fall to 4-1 and will host the Tigers of Alexis I DuPont.

Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2014 9:27:07 PM
Subject: SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Bounces Back with 34-24 CAA Victory Over Elon

SUBJECT: University of Delaware Football Bounces Back with 34-24 CAA Victory Over Elon

DATE:  October 11, 2014

NEWARK, Del. -- The University of Delaware got back on the winning track Saturday afternoon as the Blue Hens got touchdowns from five different players and scored three times in a span of three minutes late in the first half to post a 34-24 Colonial Athletic Association football victory over Elon at Delaware Stadium.

The Blue Hens (4-2, 2-0 CAA) remained one of just three unbeaten teams in league play as they jumped out to a 27-3 halftime lead and held off an Elon comeback in the second half on the way to the victory. Delaware, now tied with New Hampshire (3-0) and Villanova (3-0) atop the CAA standings, bounced back from a 10-7 non-league setback to Sacred Heart a week earlier.

Delaware quarterback Trent Hurley threw a short touchdown pass in the first half to Nick Boyle - his team high third scoring catch of the season - and scored himself on a six-yard run early the final stanza, Wes Hills and Jalen Randolph scored on short runs, and freshman cornerback Malcolm Brown returned an interception 20 yards for a touchdown to lead Delaware, which won for the fourth time in the last five games.

"It feels good to win," said Delaware head coach Dave Brock, who improved to 8-3 in games at Delaware Stadium in his two seasons at the helm. "I thought we played a solid first half, made some plays, and did better offensively despite some challenges. I thought our kids played really hard, they were physical, and really competed. It feels good to be 2-0 in the league. I was happy that we had no turnovers and really made some explosive plays. We ran the football well (181 yards) and that's what we need to do to be what we want to be offensively. Our kids up front battled. We had more energy today."

Elon (1-5, 0-2 CAA), a first-year member of the CAA after years in the Southern Conference, suffered its third straight loss but didn't go down easy as the Phoenix pulled to within 10 points with nine minutes left to play but never could get closer. Quarterback Mike Quinn threw for 291 yards and three touchdowns and hit Tre Lennon on scoring plays of 10 and 35 yards in the second half to keep Elon in range.

Hurley completed 16 of 28 passes for 178 yards, Hills ran for a game-high 111 yards, and Michael Johnson caught nine passes for 134 yards to lead the offense, which posted a season-high 34 points. Defensively, senior defensive end Derrick Saulsberry registered two of Delaware's five sacks as the Blue Hens pressured Quinn throughout the day.

"We knew they had some good skill players on the outside," said Saulsberry, whose pressure on Quinn forced the interception return by Brown. "We knew we had to put pressure on them and get in the quarterback's face. I thought we were in his face for most of the game."

The Hens took control late in the first half, building on a 6-3 lead - thanks to Boyle's touchdown catch - and taking a 24-point advantage into halftime powered by a quick 21-point scoring spree. Hills capped an 84-yard drive with a one-yard dive with 5:00 left in the first half to give Delaware a 13-3 lead.

After Delaware held Elon to a three-and-out, the Hens got the ball back and moved 71 yards on just four plays, capping the drive with a one-yard burst by Randolph with 2:25 remaining to go up 20-3. The big play in the drive was Hurley's 59-yard pass to Johnson down to the Elon seven-yard line.

On Elon's next play from scrimmage after the touchdown, Brown stepped in front of a Quinn pass in the flat and sprinted 20 yards untouched into the end zone to give UD a 27-3 lead at the break.

Quinn's scoring tosses of five yards to Justin Osborne and 10 yards to Lennon in the third quarter helped Elon narrow the lead to 27-17 with 24 seconds left in the third quarter, but the Hens got one back as Hurley capped a 67-yard drive by moving out of the pocket, breaking a tackle, and diving into the end zone for a six-yard touchdown run with 10:56 remaining. Lennon's 35-yard scoring pass from Quinn with 8:58 left to play pulled the Phoenix to within 10 points again at 34-24 but it was too little too late.

Delaware will look to continue its winning ways next Saturday when the Blue Hens host CAA rival Towson for Homecoming at 12:30 p.m. The Hens have downed the Tigers six times in the last seven years, including last season when Delaware rallied for a late 32-31 victory against a Towson team that advanced to the NCAA FCS national championship game.

Hen Scratchings:
• The game was played in front a season-high crowd of 19,476 for Parents & Family Weekend
• The game marked the first meeting ever between the two schools in football
• Delaware has now scored a point in 208 straight home games since 1983
• Michael Johnson has now caught 19 passes for 262 yards over the last two games and extended his pass-catching streak to 29 straight games. He also went over 4,000 career all-purpose yards during the game
• Nick Boyle caught four passes for 27 yards and became Delaware's all-time leader for pass receptions by a tight end with 81, surpassing the mark of 78 by John Yergey in 1987-89
• Malcolm Brown's interception for a touchdown was the first by a UD freshman since Kenny Bailey in 1993 vs. Lehigh
• Delaware, Elon, and fellow CAA member Albany remain the only three teams at the NCAA FCS level who have not lost a fumble this season

AGATE: 

Scoring Summary

Elon.............0.......3.....14.....7.....24
Delaware.....6.....21.......0.....7.....34

1st Quarter
Delaware - Nick Boyle 1 pass from Trent Hurley (Garrett Greenway kick failed), 7:29 left
2nd Quarter
Elon - FG John Gallagher 37, 12:11
Delaware - Wes Hills 1 run (Greenway kick), 5:00
Delaware - Jalen Randolph 1 run (Greenway kick), 2:25
Delaware - Malcolm Brown 20 interception return (Greenway kick), 2:11
3rd Quarter
Elon - Justin Osborne 5 pass from Mike Quinn (Gallagher kick), 10:58
Elon - Tre Lennon 10 pass from Quinn (Gallagher kick), :24
4th Quarter
Delaware - Hurley 6 run (Greenway kick), 10:56
Elon - Tre Lennon 35 pass from Quinn (Gallagher kick), 8:59
Attendance: 19,476

Team Statistics Elon Delaware
First downs 27 20
Rushes-yards 37-76 45-181
Passing yards 291 178
Passes 29-55-1 16-28-0
Total yards 367 359
Fumbles-lost 0-0 0-0
Penalties-yards 6-42 6-77
Punts-avg. 5-41.0 6-44.3
Time of Poss. 30:18 29:42
Third Down Conv. 7-19 5-13
Sacks by 3-19 5-50

Individual Statistics: Rushing - Elon, Tracey Coppedge, 24-91, Kelly Brooks-Muse, 3-7, Mike Quinn, 10-(-22); Delaware, Wes Hills, 17-111, Trent Hurley, 13-29, Jalen Randolph, 5-20, Jerel Harrison, 3-15, Michael Johnson, 2-12, Kareem Williams, 1-(-1), Team, 3-(-5); Passing - Elon, Quinn, 29-55-1-291; Delaware, Hurley, 16-28-0-178; Receiving - Elon, Tre Lennon, 7-95, Kierre Brown, 5-59, Coppedge, 4-14, Justin Osborne, 3-43, Andre Davis, 3-32, Doug Warrick, 3-18, Demitri Allison, 2-19, R.J. Pearsall, 2-11; Delaware, Johnson, 9-134, Nick Boyle, 4-27, Harrison, 3-17.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact Scott Selheimer | selheime@udel.edu | Office: 302-831-8007 | Cell: 302-562-5129

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT