ADVERTISEMENT

Delaware Girls High School Basketball Wrap

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Bob Carpenter Center-University of Delaware-Saturday, March 1, 2014: The top seed Lady Raiders of Ursuline Academy improve their record 18-4 behind the 13 point performance by jr sensation and Villanova University bound Adrianna Hahn, 11 by sr Laura Hurff paced the Lady Raiders of Ursuline Academy to a 54-35 win over the Lady Silver Eagles of Hodgson at 18-4.

John Noonan Ursuline Girls Head Basketball Coach: "I didn't get a chance to see St Elizabeth this year from what I've heard they are big, skllled and athletic we're trying to get our squad ready with confidence and tempo when it comes to the state tournament and they don't see it regularly at the start of the contest our shooting was critical and we shot a lot of 3 pointers in our practice our girls have good forms and we want to play fastbreak and halfcourt basketball and we're not afraid of an arena that early in basketball if you play in our home gym we tend slow ourselves down but you watch St. Elizabeth and Ursuline teams warm up you play for the name of the school that is on the front of your jersey." "Some of our kids that missed couple of shots and they get down on themselves but I tell them to shoot the ball correctly and we're hoping that it can't be one player it will come out of everyone." "When we are ready to play St E's in the semi finals we have surprises and we have to look at the film work what we have to do in practice but we are proud of our Catholic Conference that have done well for us we respect one another whoever wins have to earn it."

Adrianna Hahn in her performance vs. Hodgson: "We have worked on our three point shots from the outside post we have to kick and attack for a three pointer and have done it in practice we were in front and on the post but another thing is the transition is another part of the game." "I was off on my shots today and looked for my teammates to shoot open shots that is the big part of our squad and this is my first game in the Bob we practice that every day as we work on offensive sets and transition sets that is a part of our game last time we played them was we were in 8th grade we have been in the final four for 11 years St E is one of the rivals in our conference the stands are going to be packed on Wednesday night."

Macy Robinson and Sabrina Hackendorn pace St. E's in semi final win over Catholic Conference rival Ursuline-Chris Austin and Alison Lewis spark Sanford to victory meet in girls finals Friday Night

By David A. Willauer-Contributing Editor-Bob Carpenter Center-University of Delaware-Newark, DE-Wednesday, March 6, 2014-In the last game when Caravel met Sanford on January 28, 2014, the Lady Warriors behind the 1-2 punch of so Chris Alston led with 18 points and sr. Allison Lewis contributed with 10 the Warriors prevailed in their home facility by a 57-30 score as jr Ky-Asia Stanford led with 10 for the Bucs. In the semi final round of the 2014 DIAA Girls State High School basketball tournament, it was again the Lady Warriors winning by as they carry their 19-1 record into the finals vs. St. Elizabeth on Friday night as they defeated the Lady Bucs by a 53-37 score.

Sophomore Chris Austin led the Lady Warriors with 22 points while teammate sr. Allison Lewis contributed with 19 points and will meet the Lady Vikings of St. Elizabeth for the 2014 DIAA Girls State Basketball Title.

In the other contest after 2 losses to Ursuline by scores of 55-50 at Ursuline and by a 51-42 at the St. E's Center on Tuesday, February 11, 2014, for the third time as they meet at the Frank Acierno Arena at the Bob Carpenter Center it was the Lady Vikings as they improve their record at 17-5 as they defeated the top seeded Lady Raiders of Ursuline Academy in the semi finals by a 55-38 behind the 16 point performance of sr Macy Robinson's, jr Alex Thomas' 14 points along with the double double performance of sr. Sabrina Hackendorn 11 points and 11 rebounds by a 55-38 score.

Frank Aiello St. E's girls basketball coach: This game is a better rivalry the key to this game is that Macy Robinson is quick and perhaps try to contain Ursuline and don't let them take three point shots along with not doubling up but to stay with their wings and corners." "Alex Thomas is one of our better ball handlers which is not unusual for her but we know that Ursuline is very aggressive we felt that we can take the ball to the basket and we shot ball well in the second game at our place both teams were up and down the floor, played tight all the way and as we hit our foul shots at the end Ursuline played well and both teams are better on defense our kids play team ball and much better on offensive and defensive stopping Ursuline's transition running we don't have a fast break yet but we have to run our sets and to protect the ball and work on our rebounds."

Macy Robinson on her performance vs. Ursuline: "It feels good I'm happy for our squad to be in the finals tonight and for the 2nd year in a row we stayed positive and focused on what we had to do, the first time even if they wanted to run stay up and to get the ball down low we had to box out as soon as we made shots we quickly had to get back on defense as fast as we could." "Alex Thomas did a good job she went to do a crossover to get the ball and she was told what she had to do."

Sabrina Hackendorn on her performance vs. Ursuline: "We felt good and Ursuline is an outstanding squad when we keep up with the Lady Raiders we played our A ball like we did tonight Adrianna Hahn came out and shot the ball well everytime she makes attempts to make the basket you have a big responsibility that everyone else has to guard her and we couldn't let up they defeated us 2 times before but in the finals it feels good to go to the finals Coach Aiello is a good coach I respect Ursuline they are a good athletic team."

John Noonan was at most of the St. E games this year. He is dating a St. E player's mother. How can he say he hasn't seen St. E play this year? I personally saw him and said hello to him at more than a few games.

sr Alison Lewis and so Chrishyanah Austin pace Sanford Warriors to their 3rd Girls State Basketball Title

By David A. Willauer-University of Delaware-Bob Carpenter Center-Newark, DE-3-7-14: The Sanford School a very well known private school known for their academic standards located in the suburbs of Hockessin, DE right outside of Wilmington also known for their basketball teams along with winning state titles have turned out some outstanding athletes who went on to college to get their degrees while playing basketball at various universities and colleges as in jr Andrea Hines to Central Florida, so sensation Trevor Cooney at Syracuse along with some of former players that have come and supported the Warriors basketball teams at all of the home and away contests as in Nai-te Watson, who played under current head coach Herbie Magee, and former boys basketball coach and current assistant girls coach Gil Jackson 1986 State Team, Ralph Blalock who played at Towson is currently playing ball in European League but today was a big of history for the Warriors of Sanford School including Monique Foote who excelled at the University of Virginia, during the regular season these schools played back in December at the St E's Center in Wilmington where the Lady Vikings prevailed by a 53-47 score in that game freshman Alanna Thomas led with 17 points and sr Sabrina Hackendorn contributed with 12 and for the Lady Warriors, so Chrishyanah Alston led with 16 points sr Alison Lewis contributed with 12 and teammate jr Ayanna Thompson with 11. This time it is the Lady Warriors of Sanford have won their 4th DIAA State Basketball title overall and 3rd under girls head coach Marcus Thompson behind the bread and butter combination of sr. Alison Lewis as she finished with 27 points along with so sensation Chrishyanah Alston finished with 12 points as they defeated the defending state champion St. Elizabeth Lady Vikings by a 58-37 score.

Sanford's sr Alison Lewis: "It felt good I don't know what I did but our team stepped up and played good defense on my basket when we led 14-12 Coach Thompson told us to be aggressive on the boards and to take good shots that is one of the big things we did today along with our defense and rebounding today we came to win and to play our game that's how we won the title."

Sanford's so Chrishyanah Alston: "It was amazing for us for the hard work that we put in with a good coaching staff along with our outstanding teammates that we have they (SE) has good shooters and we stopped their shots and went from there we know that we could run and believe in ourselves that no one can stop us and everybody continued to play to win." "Gil Jackson is real good at helping us out and if we put our minds and hearts into it we did as I am happy for my seniors teammates and it finally has happened for them."

Marcus Thompson Girls Basketball Coach at Sanford: "We knew that when we started the season in early in December we weren't ourselves as a team near Christmas, our squad took a trip to Florida and told them that they have committed themselves on the defensive end of the game." "Alison Lewis told me during the game I'm going to take over and she did well in every game as she have 14 boards and 5 shots she has committed herself to be a good player making what she loves to do is to love the game of basketball." Chrishyanah Alston has emerged as one of the best players in the state we had a sequence in NJ she wanted to be a guard ever since and today we were in the passing lanes they came to play it was a great overall performance."

fr Alanna Speaks led the Lady Vikings with 12 points and 10 boards.

Sanford finished their season at 23-1 while St. Elizabeth finishes at 17-6

1986 Coach Gil Jackson

1991 Thomas Shumosic

1992 Coach Stan Waterman

2002 Stan Waterman

2010 Stan Waterman

2011 Stan Waterman

2012 Stan Waterman

Girls State Basketball Titles 1994, David Brooker 2010, 2011, 2014 Marcus Thompson

Note: In 2010 and 2011 Sanford became the first school in the State of Delaware to win both boys and girls state basketball titles.

By David A. Willauer-3-17-14-Bob Carpenter Center-University of Delaware-Newark, DE: 15 points by Alison Lewis from Sanford and 15 by Jasalyn Davis Denkins of William Penn and 11 by Macy Robinson paced the Blue All Stars to a 106 to 83 win over the Gold All Stars in the 15th Annual Blue Vs. Gold All Star Game that was played benefitting the Best Buddy's Program of Delaware.

Jade Purnell of Seaford led the Gold with 14 points, Monshea Murray of Seaford contributed with 12, 10 points by Alyson Davis from Smyrna and 9 by Sarah Hillman from Polytech

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT