ADVERTISEMENT

Delmar vs AI

SouthDude

Getting reps on JV
Oct 23, 2017
I think Delmar will win 35-21. AI's spread offense is good but I think there defense will have a hard time stopping Delmar's speed on offense.

Delmar 35-14. I think we will see a Delmar-Milford rematch in the finals. I just don't see anyone beating Delmar. The one team with the best shot lost last week - Woodbridge.

This match isn't ideal for either team.

Dupont is on the smaller size but they do not back down from anyone. They do good job of not letting teams get to the outside with the run and with their CBs and OLBs and they pack the middle with the DL and ILBs. If Delmar's QB can make good decision and plays with his feet and arm that will bode will for Delmar. The pitch will likely not be available as it was against DMA so can Parker and Trader take over the game. I do not believe Delmar has faced a team that will spread them out with the intent to pass the ball. Delmar's safety in their 44 defense is pretty athletic but the CB is very suspect and that is where Dupont will be attacking. Will be interesting to see how Delmar defends AI's 2x2 and 3x1 formations as only Glasgow and Brandywine has shown success limiting Chad Jones from slinging the ball all across the field this season.

Delmar keys to Victory
QB making plays with both feet and arm to open the defense for the other playmakers
Defending Dupont's 3x1 set and screen game

Dupont keys to Victory
Protecting the QB and winning the matchups outside early
No big plays against the option and rollout pass

This match isn't ideal for either team.

Dupont is on the smaller size but they do not back down from anyone. They do good job of not letting teams get to the outside with the run and with their CBs and OLBs and they pack the middle with the DL and ILBs. If Delmar's QB can make good decision and plays with his feet and arm that will bode will for Delmar. The pitch will likely not be available as it was against DMA so can Parker and Trader take over the game. I do not believe Delmar has faced a team that will spread them out with the intent to pass the ball. Delmar's safety in their 44 defense is pretty athletic but the CB is very suspect and that is where Dupont will be attacking. Will be interesting to see how Delmar defends AI's 2x2 and 3x1 formations as only Glasgow and Brandywine has shown success limiting Chad Jones from slinging the ball all across the field this season.

Delmar keys to Victory
QB making plays with both feet and arm to open the defense for the other playmakers
Defending Dupont's 3x1 set and screen game

Dupont keys to Victory
Protecting the QB and winning the matchups outside early
No big plays against the option and rollout pass
Just posted in another thread the team who has the ball last wins. Strength vs weaknesses for both teams. A.I. passing game depends on the QBs accuracy. It’s been suspect this year. I think they pull out a win if he is on. They won’t be able to stop the Delmar running game. The lateral quickness and size on the defensive line is not there. Both teams may not punt all game. Who ever has the ball last wins. Would not be surprised to see 40 plus points scored by both teams. Delmar has not faced a team that throws the ball like A.I. My pick was Howard to win D2 for the same reason. A.I. plays the same way so that’s my pick to win the title.

Just posted in another thread the team who has the ball last wins. Strength vs weaknesses for both teams. A.I. passing game depends on the QBs accuracy. It’s been suspect this year. I think they pull out a win if he is on. They won’t be able to stop the Delmar running game. The lateral quickness and size on the defensive line is not there. Both teams may not punt all game. Who ever has the ball last wins. Would not be surprised to see 40 plus points scored by both teams. Delmar has not faced a team that throws the ball like A.I. My pick was Howard to win D2 for the same reason. A.I. plays the same way so that’s my pick to win the title.

DuPont's QB is fairly accurate especially for a HS QB. I would say 2361 yds 26 TDs 6 Ints with a 58% completion percentage is pretty good. How much more efficient you expect the kid to be. Let's be honest if he was 6 foot or taller people would be saying he is the best QB in the state but since he is on DuPont and only about 5-8/5-9 he is an afterthought.

Now back to the analysis of the game they will be able to defend the run because your analysis is off base. What are you talking about no lateral quickness ,they are smaller quick guys that would be playing fullback or TE/WR, beside having lateral quickness is only necessary if they have to get down the LOS but they don't because as I said they defend their interior with the DL and outside with the OLBs and CBS. That is the same mistake Glasgow made. Thinking because they were smaller they could go 22 and 32 personnel and pound the middle but when that didn't work they trade to speed them outside but DuPont was fast enough to stretch plays to the sideline and Glasgow is bigger and faster than Delmar but offensively handicapped.

Also I'm sorry you made the wrong choice about winning D2 but Howard and DuPont are two completely different teams. Howard is not a passing team.

DuPont's QB is fairly accurate especially for a HS QB. I would say 2361 yds 26 TDs 6 Ints with a 58% completion percentage is pretty good. How much more efficient you expect the kid to be. Let's be honest if he was 6 foot or taller people would be saying he is the best QB in the state but since he is on DuPont and only about 5-8/5-9 he is an afterthought.

Now back to the analysis of the game they will be able to defend the run because your analysis is off base. What are you talking about no lateral quickness ,they are smaller quick guys that would be playing fullback or TE/WR, beside having lateral quickness is only necessary if they have to get down the LOS but they don't because as I said they defend their interior with the DL and outside with the OLBs and CBS. That is the same mistake Glasgow made. Thinking because they were smaller they could go 22 and 32 personnel and pound the middle but when that didn't work they trade to speed them outside but DuPont was fast enough to stretch plays to the sideline and Glasgow is bigger and faster than Delmar but offensively handicapped.

Also I'm sorry you made the wrong choice about winning D2 but Howard and DuPont are two completely different teams. Howard is not a passing team.
They lack the lateral quickness or skill to get off the block to defend Delmars inside running game with Just the line alone. If they are not getting down the line of scrimmage defending the traps and cross blocks, and the many other looks they will see they can’t stop the inside run game of Navy/Delmar

. And I love their QB and also agree that if not for his height he would be considered one of the top QB in the state. 58 percent would be great in this game and as long as they were throws down the field. He at times has missed wide open guys that he can’t miss this game. Howard and A.I. both pass the ball significantly more then any other team in D2. Howard not being a pass only team does not Change that. Playoff football is about match ups. Defending the pass for most teams in D2 would be hard. This is why I’m picking them. They bring a dimension other teams have not seen. Much like Delamars running game. A.I. won’t stop Delmar’s running game, and Delmar won’t stop A.I. passing game. I give the edge to A.I. because of that. Don’t make the mistake of comparing size and speed of Delmar to Glasgow or any other team. They are way faster then you realize. And I’m sure the DMA linemen who has two starters with division one offers can tell you they are not small up front on The Defenseive Line. A.I. passing game still is the difference it should Be a wild one for sure but I’m standing by my pick with A.I. If the QB plays well and is in the 60 percent range with completions down the field with no INT they win.

wow, great post on this thread!! I still think that Delmar will blitz and play well vs their short passing game. Where Delmar struggles is deep ball down the sideline. But that ball is hard to complete consistently. AI will have their hands full vs Delmar's blitz, if the qb can make the blitz miss, he will have good match ups.

Hearn and his staff will have Delmar prepared for the passing attack. Delmar also has a ball hawk at safety in Trader. I believe he has 4 interceptions in the last 3 games. If Delmar wins the turnover battle I don't see this being a 1 score game.

Glasgow?? The team that lost to Indian River? Indian River who won one game this year (even losing to Seaford). I find it humorous that you would compare Glasgow to Delmar this year. Delmar is faster than I have seen them in a long time. The defense flies to the ball. They will be well prepared and are always a disciplined team. The Coaches will make any necessary in game adjustments to AI's offense. Delmar is peaking at the right time and playing with a ton of confidence.

Agreed Delmar, plus I do not think AI has seen someone as fast as Dennard. If he gets to the edge, he is gone. Just curious, is Parker still banged up from the game vs WB or is he all good now?

i wish alot of these high schools would air it out more, more exciting to watch, and better prepare them for next level.

If Delmar can keep AI off the field and not allow their QB to get into a rhythm I believe it will be all Cats, hopefully they can eat some clock on the offensive side. 27-21 Delmar

They lack the lateral quickness or skill to get off the block to defend Delmars inside running game with Just the line alone. If they are not getting down the line of scrimmage defending the traps and cross blocks, and the many other looks they will see they can’t stop the inside run game of Navy/Delmar

. And I love their QB and also agree that if not for his height he would be considered one of the top QB in the state. 58 percent would be great in this game and as long as they were throws down the field. He at times has missed wide open guys that he can’t miss this game. Howard and A.I. both pass the ball significantly more then any other team in D2. Howard not being a pass only team does not Change that. Playoff football is about match ups. Defending the pass for most teams in D2 would be hard. This is why I’m picking them. They bring a dimension other teams have not seen. Much like Delamars running game. A.I. won’t stop Delmar’s running game, and Delmar won’t stop A.I. passing game. I give the edge to A.I. because of that. Don’t make the mistake of comparing size and speed of Delmar to Glasgow or any other team. They are way faster then you realize. And I’m sure the DMA linemen who has two starters with division one offers can tell you they are not small up front on The Defenseive Line. A.I. passing game still is the difference it should Be a wild one for sure but I’m standing by my pick with A.I. If the QB plays well and is in the 60 percent range with completions down the field with no INT they win.

Prep... I said with line and ILB. Their DL does a good job of slanting and spilling a lot of plays making runners bounce to the edge. ILBs play down hill cleaning up the mess. Delmar is solid but not Navy. DMA shut down the inside run with 5 players with heavy spills from the 3 DL they have expect the same from AI. If they do what they have been doing all year the traps and off tackle cross block plays won't be there initially.

Not sure where you are getting your stats from but Howard passes the ball on avg about 8-10 times a game significantly less than half of its own conference. Definitely less than St. Mark's maybe Caravel. DMA this year but not significantly more than any other team in D2. If the QB does't hit on a big play he is nowhere near 100 yds passing. AI does pass the ball down field probably more than anyone in the state outside of Smyrna, Poly and Brandywine. Defending the pass for most Delaware teams period is hard most schools play cover 3 or many and are fundamentally horrible but that is another topic. Not sure why you say I made a mistake comparing size and speed of Delmar to Glasgow. I've seen both teams play live and video. Glasgow size and team speed is greater than Delmar that is not debatable it's fact but Delmar is by far the better team primarily because Glasgow's offense is non-existent. And please don't praise the big DMA lineman especially on defense because their size means nothing they play to high, have bad technique, no explosion and bad feet on the defensive side of the ball. Besides blocking is less about physical strength especially HS (Unless you have a stud Dlineman) and below but more about technique which Delmar does very well.

wow, great post on this thread!! I still think that Delmar will blitz and play well vs their short passing game. Where Delmar struggles is deep ball down the sideline. But that ball is hard to complete consistently. AI will have their hands full vs Delmar's blitz, if the qb can make the blitz miss, he will have good match ups.

SouthDude.. .That is where this game gets good because AI does a good job mixing their quick passing game and screen game along with some misdirection runs. If Delmar blitzes and don't get there could mean big plays for AI and that's where the trouble starts. I say if Delmar likes to blitz live and die by it. Don't be fearful and back of trying to defend the other stuff putting them in an uncomfortable spot. If Delmar backs off it plays to AI's strength.

Hearn and his staff will have Delmar prepared for the passing attack. Delmar also has a ball hawk at safety in Trader. I believe he has 4 interceptions in the last 3 games. If Delmar wins the turnover battle I don't see this being a 1 score game.

1 ball hawking safety can't cover the entire field and AI uses all of it.

Glasgow?? The team that lost to Indian River? Indian River who won one game this year (even losing to Seaford). I find it humorous that you would compare Glasgow to Delmar this year. Delmar is faster than I have seen them in a long time. The defense flies to the ball. They will be well prepared and are always a disciplined team. The Coaches will make any necessary in game adjustments to AI's offense. Delmar is peaking at the right time and playing with a ton of confidence.

Yes I Glasgow compared speed and size which Glasgow is by far greater than Delmar. I didn't compare them as a football team and I said Glasgow made the mistake against AI trying to pound them because they knew AI was smaller and when that didn't work they tried to out run them but AI played the outside well with the OLB and CBs. I believe Delmar is the better team and think they should when but it isn't a great matchup for them.

bbmvp.. I saw Dennard running and he is fast. But just in conference AI has seen Glasgow & Howard who has top sprinters in the state and Mount's Vince Smith is lightning in a bottle. So Dennard won't be that eye popping.

Prep... I said with line and ILB. Their DL does a good job of slanting and spilling a lot of plays making runners bounce to the edge. ILBs play down hill cleaning up the mess. Delmar is solid but not Navy. DMA shut down the inside run with 5 players with heavy spills from the 3 DL they have expect the same from AI. If they do what they have been doing all year the traps and off tackle cross block plays won't be there initially.

Not sure where you are getting your stats from but Howard passes the ball on avg about 8-10 times a game significantly less than half of its own conference. Definitely less than St. Mark's maybe Caravel. DMA this year but not significantly more than any other team in D2. If the QB does't hit on a big play he is nowhere near 100 yds passing. AI does pass the ball down field probably more than anyone in the state outside of Smyrna, Poly and Brandywine. Defending the pass for most Delaware teams period is hard most schools play cover 3 or many and are fundamentally horrible but that is another topic. Not sure why you say I made a mistake comparing size and speed of Delmar to Glasgow. I've seen both teams play live and video. Glasgow size and team speed is greater than Delmar that is not debatable it's fact but Delmar is by far the better team primarily because Glasgow's offense is non-existent. And please don't praise the big DMA lineman especially on defense because their size means nothing they play to high, have bad technique, no explosion and bad feet on the defensive side of the ball. Besides blocking is less about physical strength especially HS (Unless you have a stud Dlineman) and below but more about technique which Delmar does very well.

DMA Defense line was not good “that’s kind” but Delmar struggled with the size.
I was speaking about their Oline in regards to size and skill.

Keep in mind Howard’s QB is a run first kid. Maybe what I have is off but my a lot of those plays set out to be passes but end up with him running.

Delmar is not Navy I just use that as comparison to the type of offense they run. Slanting d linemen are guessing at the snap and often get to deep. Reading the blocking keys and moving laterally is what I was referring to they don’t do that very well. DMA played this way and although not good their big body’s, along with this style clogged up the middle for the most part. Slanting to hard up the field invites the trap and Parker has many 50 plus yard runs on those kinds of plays. Keep in mind the navy triple option plays often leave certain d line men unblocked and expect them to be up the field.
Three options at the point of attack for the QB to decide based on that guy. This is general analysis of course, but the base of this kind of offense. I don’t know how complex Delmar is with their version, but I’m assuming they are pretty advanced for HS based on history.

A.I. will have the edge passing down the field on the edges. Screen game out of the backfield. If he is accurate they win. Also Glasgow lost to IR and are not as fast overall as a team then Delmar. They have talented athletes at all levels. The trader kid is one of the best lacrosse players in the country, plays midfield ranked nationally Has great speed. Parker will be playing at the next level is 6-2 230 runs the 40 in the mid 4s. The Phillips Kid at LB is a pro baseball prospect, and played at a private school last year he runs in the mid 4s. Denard probably fastest on the field plays runnign back also LB. At every spot they are faster then Glasgow. Accept nose but that boy is 400 pounds

Still I think it comes down to the A.I. passing game They only play one time and Matchup’s are key. Delmar never faces passing teams in that southern division. I spent time down there this year watching Bowmen for Milford Parker for Delmar and Kane for Woodbridge. No one throws the ball. So to me it’s the great unknown. And A.I.s advantage if the QB stays accurate. I also agree with throwing away from the trader kid. Very intriguing matchup. It’s going to be a close game IMO. Probably will
Be the most fun to watch. The rest of the playoff games will most likely be one sided.

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
I have not seen AI, so I guess the biggest question I have is simple. Can they run enough to keep the Delmar defense honest? Because if they can't they will be in trouble.

One more thing about speed. When we talk about team speed it’s in football ball terms. Reaction time reading the play , combined with raw speed = football playing speed. So many world class sprinters try football and fail. Playing fast on the football field is much different then raw straight line speed. It’s why the 5-10-5 shuttle is one of the most important test. And the new version of that test has the Athletes staring the drill on reaction.

Reactions: DelmarMD
I have not seen AI, so I guess the biggest question I have is simple. Can they run enough to keep the Delmar defense honest? Because if they can't they will be in trouble.
good point, my opinion is they won’t try and run that much. Quick throws , can Delmar rush the QB, without the blitz? Another unknown

Howard QB and 75% of their empty snaps are for QB draw. Spread is for QB lead.

I know the harm of getting up field but they slant down the line in spill technique or if you want to say they stunt every play. AI DL coach does a good job about teaching they up field depth. Doing this does what you say DMA did but without the big bodies. It clogs the middle. AI's DEs are more B gap players than C in their defense and hardly ever D gap players. So guess what happens when you stunt you DL almost every play against a triple option or read option team especially in HS. It messes up the blocking and reads. Olineman begin to chase and the read man in the specific gap is now a different player.

AI definitely has the advantage passing deep down the sideline. #4 and #6 are go up and get it type of WRs. AI is a not a heavy RB screen team you will get smokes, bubbles, middle and jailbreak screens from slots and receivers.Glasgow's lost to IR was a fluke and anyone who watched should know that. They should be 8-2 but still out of playoffs because of pts. As far as Glasgow vs Delmar personnel I 'll get that later.

AI will run some they will dive and option. The want to be balanced. They will mix in some leads with some cross blocks and throw in a reverse. Nothing fancy but if they have success throwing that is really when the run kills you because at that point most teams spread out to defend the pass leaving less in the box for the run. If you can defend one or the other without giving up yourself your golden. Question is can Delmar cover out of their base or will they have to extend. If they do things will get interesting.

good point, my opinion is they won’t try and run that much. Quick throws , can Delmar rush the QB, without the blitz? Another unknown
One of he Delmar peeps would obviously be most prepared to answer it, but what the hell it's Thanksgiving eve and I am on my second libation. I think AI can't be one dimensional, that is the key. I would suspect Delmar would come out with a heavy zone combo coverage look, alternating between over and under based on down and distance. IF Delmar can maintain the clock, I suspect they won't mind giving up a few yards and apply pressure and different looks at key moments.

I did not see the IR game how did Glasgow lose to that team ?

And if they are spilling like you say then it could be interesting. You know how HS kids are tho when being left unblocked do they do they stay disciplined. Our observations or mine at least are on very limited game film and in person evaluation. You seem to know the small details of how A.I. defends. So I will defer to your knowledge on that. We both agree that A.I. probably wins a close one

Prep you spit out a bunch of numbers and stats comparing Delmar to Glasgow so lets compare

Start with their heart and soul Grinnell 5'10 192 safety plays very well downhill will hit you like a LB definitely about the 4.5 40 range. 1st team all state last season. Had to play QB this season with the transfer of Wilson to Smyrna. Great arm (standout center fielder) but not a QB. Keishawn Jones 6'2 175 WR/CB has a couple of D1 offers 4.4-4.5 40 was 9th in the state running the 200m and 7th in the 400m last yr Martise Younger 6'0 175 WR/DB another 4.4-4.5 kid 4th in the state running the 200m last year. Tavion Jones-Hill 5'8 185 RB has some college interest 4.6 40. Jeremiah Carter 6'5 275 DL/OT several D1 college interest not sure about offer right now sub 4.9 sec 40. Yasir Hatcher 5'10 185 4.5-4.6 40. Last but not least Tymere Wilson 5'8 160 MLB definitely runs mid 4 40 by far the smallest on the field on their defense but very aggressive will hit you hard but makes tackles 1st team all conference last season and this season and be in the All State discussion again this year.

The DBs average 5'11 180, DL avg 6'2 255. OL avg is smaller about 6' 235, WRs are their DBs all run under 4.6. So again I say Glasgow as a team is overall bigger and faster than Delmar but Delmar is head shoulders and probably waist over Glasgow this year.

I did not see the IR game how did Glasgow lose to that team ?

And if they are spilling like you say then it could be interesting. You know how HS kids are tho when being left unblocked do they do they stay disciplined. Our observations or mine at least are on very limited game film and in person evaluation. You seem to know the small details of how A.I. defends. So I will defer to your knowledge on that. We both agree that A.I. probably wins a close one

IR beat Glasgow with 2 deep pass early in 1st quarter. Then with less than 4 or 5 minutes on I believe 3rd or 4th and 20+ IR connected on another long pass that was missed judged by 2 Glasgow defenders which turned into a 60yard gain and 1st and goal from the 10 down 20-13 with I believe with less than 2 minutes left. I being shut down IR scores on on a blown coverage on 4th down. I guess with no kicker or just going for the win they go for 2 and the Glasgow defender is in the air with ball in his for interception only to get hit by his teammate how is also trying make a play on the ball to fall into the kid Custis hands for 21-20 lead with less than a minute remaining.

That's what you call week 1, 1st year coach lapse and probably a little playing down to opponent including the Jones, Butts and Bacon their 6'2 220 DE going down.

No I think AI will lose......LOL

Anxious to see how Delmar does against this passing attack. Even if AI has success early I just can't see Hearn and his staff not adjusting. Delmar is the hottest team in the state. Delmar wins 34-14 and we will get Delmar vs Milford round 2 in the finals.

That was a good old fashioned butt kicking. Dennard with 8 TDs. All A.I. could do on offense was hit a couple of prayer jump balls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT