ADVERTISEMENT

Downstate Takes Football & Basketball Titles

I'm going to be "that guy," and say that while it's cool a 20-year drought ended today for the Henlopen, it was done by a school that should arguably be in the Blue Hen for travel purposes alone.

yeah jeff cause its easier and closer for smyrna to go to wilmington & newark than going to dover,cr & polytech smh

yeah jeff cause its easier and closer for smyrna to go to wilmington & newark than going to dover,cr & polytech smh

There are still sports where the North teams have to schedule the South. IR, Delmar, probably Laurel and maybe even Sussex Central - a Henlopen North school - are farther.

What sports are you speaking of? Not Football, Basketball, or Baseball.

I think they still do in baseball. Track, tennis, softball, field hockey, golf, cross country and more, I think as well.

For the record, I was trolling a little when I said what I did. Though I still think travelwise it makes sense for Smyrna to be Blue Hen, it is a Henlopen school and the championship should be celebrated by the entire conference. It's a big monkey off the Henlopen's back. Hopefully it's not two decades before it happens again.

Reactions: 84rider
its 38 miles from CR to Cape while its 38 miles from Smyrna to Wilmington and its 32 miles from Smyrna to Milford and 38 miles from Milford to Delmar and 37 miles from Delmar to Cape......my point is the Henlopen conference is farther spread out obviously and all the teams travel

I think they still do in baseball. Track, tennis, softball, field hockey, golf, cross country and more, I think as well.

For the record, I was trolling a little when I said what I did. Though I still think travelwise it makes sense for Smyrna to be Blue Hen, it is a Henlopen school and the championship should be celebrated by the entire conference. It's a big monkey off the Henlopen's back. Hopefully it's not two decades before it happens again.

Pretty sure it happens again next year

Reactions: CountianJeff
Smyrna was once in the Henlopen South.

Yup, and it was even worse then. Think about wrestling IR or Delmar on a Wednesday night. Meets back then didn't even start until 8 p.m. if both teams had full JV teams. It would be midnight before the traveling teams got home sometimes.

its 38 miles from CR to Cape while its 38 miles from Smyrna to Wilmington and its 32 miles from Smyrna to Milford and 38 miles from Milford to Delmar and 37 miles from Delmar to Cape......my point is the Henlopen conference is farther spread out obviously and all the teams travel
But Smyrna travels the farthest None of the schools you mentioned are closer to most the northern schools than they are the southern schools but Smyrna so they are not relevant in this argument

Reactions: CountianJeff
This travel thing isn't a new topic. It has been discussed several times before. One of the bigger reasons why people hated the idea of Smyrna being a Blue Hen school is that it would break up rivalries. But in reality, Smyrna doesn't have a natural rival overall because of its location. You can argue that CR/Smyrna wrestling is a big rivalry, but that's one sport and those teams would schedule each other anyway. If Smyrna went Blue Hen, it would make Middletown/Smyrna a thing again in a lot of sports... Just food for thought.

if smyrna was still the smyrna from the past decade, i'm pretty sure nobody from upstate would be calling for,insinuating or implying that they should be blue hen school......so as a downstate guy, i choose to stick to who and what they are and have always been, henlopen....it is what it is....congrats to the smyrna

I'm going to be "that guy," and say that while it's cool a 20-year drought ended today for the Henlopen, it was done by a school that should arguably be in the Blue Hen for travel purposes alone.
"Arguably" ? What's the argument? They could honestly be in the Blue Hen if they wanted to, but have chosen to stay in the Henlopen. The Henny North was initially comprised of the larger schools from Kent and Sussex, that had been in the Diamond State Conference, until late in the 60's. Last time I checked, Smyrna is still in Kent County.

"Arguably" ? What's the argument? They could honestly be in the Blue Hen if they wanted to, but have chosen to stay in the Henlopen. The Henny North was initially comprised of the larger schools from Kent and Sussex, that had been in the Diamond State Conference, until late in the 60's. Last time I checked, Smyrna is still in Kent County.
Kent and new castle county

Smyrna is 19 mins from Middletown high and 23 mins from Dover high school which one is closer???

49 mins from concord high 1hr 22 mins from delmar 1hr 15 mins from IR 1 hr 5 mins Sussex central 57 mins from Cape

In a small state like this you shouldn't drive more than a 1 hr for a conference game add another conference Smyrna Dover area schools and Middletown area schools

Poly tech to st George 41 mins polytech to delmar 55 mins poly tech to IR 57 mins let's make it happen

Again, leaving the conference is well within the rights of Smyrna, but they have chosen not to do so. Maybe they will choose to join the Blue Hen, but as of now they are in the Henlopen. It's not that complicated. No school can be forced to join a conference, it is a choice. On both the part of the school and the conference.

It's all about how they were initially broken down years ago, it's about population. Look at today. Over 500,000 people in NCC with about 400,000 in Kent and Sussex.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Henlopen catching up to Blue Hen was bound to happen. The publics in NCC have been diced up. There 4 votechs, over a dozen private/Catholic choices and over a dozen charters. Enrollment is dropping in all the schools so talent is being dispersed.
Gd post if Newark high got all the kids that are supposed to go there it would be unbelievable football and bball.

Smyrna HS won the championship.. All you small minded folks trying to piggy back on because they are from this conference or this county is hilarious..good grief! Smyrna won not downstate not Henlopen.. besides the 2 ships this year required 2 out of area transfers...

Last edited:
Reactions: onejeron
Don't Hate! We are just celebrating a great year for the Henlopen Conference. Smyrna won Division I football Woodbrige won Division II football. Smyrna beats Woodbridge in the Henlopen Conference Basketball Championship. Henlopen won Division I and II in Wrestling. Let's us celebrate! Sorry RR that Carvel lost to the Henlopen Conference in Football and Basketball.

exactly .. if the Cowboys win do the Eagles fans celebrate that a NFC East team won as if they won also? nope its silly... Smyrna and Woodbridge won.. Milford didn't win just because they were in the same conference as WB..maybe I get it.. if Woodbridge wins then somehow your your kid at laurel is magically better because they play in the same conference..lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Dynamite2089
We heard for years that Downstate had not won a Championship in Basketball. The Private schools won more then half of them. But the public and private were cheering Upstate. Now we are cheering Downstate Dominance This year!

We heard for years that Downstate had not won a Championship in Basketball. The Private schools won more then half of them. But the public and private were cheering Upstate. Now we are cheering Downstate Dominance This year!

Bummy appreciates this regionalism. I remember how my heart swelled with pride when Wilmington High won the FB title and basketball title in the same year 1971-1972. Smyrna looks like it will be a power house for years to come.

exactly .. if the Cowboys win do the Eagles fans celebrate that a NFC East team won as if they won also? nope its silly... Smyrna and Woodbridge won.. Milford didn't win just because they were in the same conference as WB..maybe I get it.. if Woodbridge wins then somehow your your kid at laurel is magically better because they play in the same conference..lol
L

Look at it like this when Pres. Obama Won all races Won!

if smyrna was still the smyrna from the past decade, i'm pretty sure nobody from upstate would be calling for,insinuating or implying that they should be blue hen school......so as a downstate guy, i choose to stick to who and what they are and have always been, henlopen....it is what it is....congrats to the smyrna

Exactly...exactly what I said in the other thread. NEVER heard talk of how they should be in the Blue Hen Conference or anyone upstate trying to claim them before their growth in the recent years to Henlopen North & state title contenders in major sports from one of the Henlopen South's bad teams.

Reactions: 84rider

Not quite. However, there are a lot of close ties between the schools down here. Particularly in the Henlopen South. Most people know a coach or player or some combination there of on other teams.Who would you rather see win, the team your co-worker has a son on, or some team you know nothing about? While there are some rivalries down here, for the most part, it is of a good nature.
But at the end of the day, when you see a conference that hadn't won a State title in 20 years, a conference that as a whole has a chip on it;s shoulder, succeed. Yeah, you tend to be happy for them.

Reactions: datruth6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT