ADVERTISEMENT

Forfeits abound

DE-Sussex

Good all around Player
May 14, 2008
In case you missed it...Newark Charter gets the win on the back of 1 pin, 5 forfeits, 1 double forfeit.
Tatnall gets 2 wins by forfeit and wins 5 of the 6 matches actually wrestled but loses the dual.

There are many small schools in NCC giving up at least 4-5 ffts. There are even Division 1 schools giving up that many ffts. It's hard enough to get a kid to commit to the sport of wrestling, even harder to fill all the weight classes when you do not have many kids in the school. Stinks when you win the matches actually wrestled and lose the dual but that's how we determine team wins in our sport. Imagine if forfeits were worth more? Good thing there is a chance for guys to be rewarded individually at tournaments.

I agree about the forfeits - it's a tough thing to deal with. If you go and watch some of these tournaments and see these coaches giving so much; their time, passion and just so much energy to a program that can't field a full team. They do it because they care about the kids. Not being at a school that has the ability to fill all the weight classes has got to be frustrating and heartbreaking at the same time. I know people are gonna say " well they know what they're getting when they go there." That's not always the case, some of these programs the numbers seem to fluctuate up and down. Sometimes it's injuries sometimes its kids not being interested. But either way they do the best with what they have. Some programs are lucky enough to have a couple studs mixed in with the team. I guess the excitement of what these kids could progress into is what keeps them coming back for more. Either way, we should be thankful they're there for the kids.

Anybody else think 12 is plenty of weight classes?

Well, I'm of two minds on this. One, would make for a more competitive individual and dual team field. Other hand, why deny some kids an opportunity to crack the line up and compete just because numbers are down.

I have a bad feeling in two years Sanford isn't going to have much of a program
Well they might be getting back to what they used to be. Look at teams like Tower Hill and Friends; close to full lineups, not a whole lot of depth, a handful of state qualifiers every year, and one or two guys who can place at states every few seasons. There might be some shake up, and they won't have top 3 guys as all of their starters. I know they have a middle school program in capable hands, so that'll prevent them from going under. Just speculation; I hope I'm wrong, because it's great for DII to have that kind of talent.

Reactions: concord87
@Sparty

The CA vs St Marks dual featured 10 forfeits.. well 7 scoring ffts and 3 doubles.. 5 by StM and 2 by CA.. The 4 matches that did take place all St M wrestlers were pinned... ugggh!

Definitely the quickest dual I have seen.. maybe 10 minutes.. Thank goodness it was a quad meet or it wouldn't have been worth the gas to go there and I live 3 minutes from there lol

Last edited:
Reactions: proudscfan
@Sparty

The CA vs St Marks dual featured 10 forfeits.. well 7 scoring ffts and 3 doubles.. 5 by StM and 2 by CA.. The 4 matches that did take place all St M wrestlers were pinned... ugggh!

Definitely the quickest dual I have seen.. maybe 10 minutes.. Thank goodness it was a quad meet or it wouldn't have been worth the gas to go there and I live 3 minutes from there lol
That's odd because St Marks had decent numbers with some tough kids at the William Penn tournament. They have a good coach in Brian Willis with Eddie Quinn assisting and he said that the kids really hit the halls to get kids out. We wrestle them Saturday so we will see what they have now. Maybe kids were sick or was it on SAT day possibly?

That's odd because St Marks had decent numbers with some tough kids at the William Penn tournament. They have a good coach in Brian Willis with Eddie Quinn assisting and he said that the kids really hit the halls to get kids out. We wrestle them Saturday so we will see what they have now. Maybe kids were sick or was it on SAT day possibly?
Not SATS.. I saw a couple of injured kids Their heavy was in a arm cast I believe... They fft 6 matches vs both the other teams (HVT and Lake)

Lake 63 StM 9
HVT 53 StM 21
CA 54 StM 12
45 of StM's 54 points were via fft

other duals

CA 46 Lake 30
CA 45 HVT 24
Lake 62 HVT 12

pretty boring quad.. good thing the whole thing was over in about an hour..:(

Last edited:
@Sparty

That's crazy.. Not too many years ago it was one of the top programs in the country.

It's crazy how many forfeits I've seen and heard of this year. It is hard enough to get wrestlers to come out for the team and then it seems like some schools could careless about the wrestlers and sink all money and effort into football. Shame because the wrestlers and coaches are so passionate about the sport.

Reactions: TrueBlue16
Here's a quote from Don Parsley following the Smyrna-Milford match. "“We came in kind of licking our wounds a little bit,” Parsley said. “Really out of respect for their team, I made sure that their studs had kids to wrestle. Some of my guys were JV guys, and they’re quality kids and hard workers, but certainly Smyrna was the class of the night.” In this age of forfeits to save kids egos and to nurse records for conference/states seedings, it's good to see a coach who is about the kids and the sport. No one would have batted an eye if Milford forfeited some weight classes. Parsley chose not to...classy.

Brandywine 23 vs Dickinson 18

113: Double Forfeit
120: Gabriel Fajardo (B) over (DK) (For.)
126: Ermias Keleta (B) over Anthony Octavio (DK) (Fall 1:06)
132: David Olin (B) over Armando Rodriguez (DK) (TF 15-0 4:48)
138: Double Forfeit
145: Laurence Majewski (B) over Isaiah Archie (DK) (Fall 5:07)
152: Double Forfeit
160: Double Forfeit
170: Double Forfeit
182: Quentin Hayes (DK) over (B) (For.)
195: Jonathan Pinghera (DK) over (B) (For.)
220: Double Forfeit
285: Duncan Stevens (DK) over Edward Rodgers (B) (Fall 1:22)
106: Double Forfeit

Glasgow 49 vs Brandywine 28

106: Re`joni Bailey (G) over (B) (For.)
113: Noah Renn (G) over (B) (For.)
120: Pablo Limon (G) over Gabriel Fajardo (B) (SV-1 4-2)
126: Ermias Keleta (B) over Jason Williams (G) (Fall 1:55)
132: David Olin (B) over (G) (For.)
138: Steve Dobrzynski (G) over Eric Guinn (B) (MD 10-2)
145: Brian Rojas (G) over Kamron Campbell (B) (Fall 3:34)
152: Tymere Wilson (G) over Laurence Majewski (B) (Fall 0:52)
160: Willem Avenarius (G) over Hussein Plummer (B) (Fall 5:48)
170: Curtis Sutton (B) over Charlie Salgado (G) (Fall 4:51)
182: Jonathan Kranz (B) over Tyron Boyer (G) (MD 13-5)
195: Zaqar Shaw (G) over (B) (For.) 220: Phill Williams (G) over (B) (For.)
?285: Edward Rodgers (B) over Cristian Arzte (G) (Fall 1:19)

Glasgow 57 vs Dickinson 24

120: Pablo Limon (G) over (DK) (For.)
126: Anthony Octavio (DK) over (G) (M. For.)
132: Armando Rodriguez (DK) over (G) (For.)
138: Steve Dobrzynski (G) over (DK) (For.)
145: Brian Rojas (G) over Isaiah Archie (DK) (Dec 13-10)
152: Tymere Wilson (G) over (DK) (For.)
160: Willem Avenarius (G) over (DK) (For.)
170: Darren Slagado (G) over (DK) (For.)
182: Quentin Hayes (DK) over Tyron Boyer (G) (Fall 5:03)
195: Zaqar Shaw (G) over Jonathan Pinghera (DK) (Fall 0:39)
220: Duncan Stevens (DK) over Phill Williams (G) (Fall 1:50)
285: Cristian Arzte (G) over (DK) (For.)
106: Noah Renn (G) over (DK) (For.)
113: Re`joni Bailey (G) over (DK) (For.)

Results from Tri-meet on 1/27. 3 dual meets with less than 1 hour of wrestling. I applaud the Brandywine coach here in the matchup vs Dickinson. You can clearly see that he had wrestlers he could have used to run out there as shown vs the matchup with Glasgow.and win by a landslide, but he made a conscious effort to put just enough guys out there to secure the win and make his guys have to wrestle.

Brandywine 23 vs Dickinson 18

113: Double Forfeit
120: Gabriel Fajardo (B) over (DK) (For.)
126: Ermias Keleta (B) over Anthony Octavio (DK) (Fall 1:06)
132: David Olin (B) over Armando Rodriguez (DK) (TF 15-0 4:48)
138: Double Forfeit
145: Laurence Majewski (B) over Isaiah Archie (DK) (Fall 5:07)
152: Double Forfeit
160: Double Forfeit
170: Double Forfeit
182: Quentin Hayes (DK) over (B) (For.)
195: Jonathan Pinghera (DK) over (B) (For.)
220: Double Forfeit
285: Duncan Stevens (DK) over Edward Rodgers (B) (Fall 1:22)
106: Double Forfeit

Glasgow 49 vs Brandywine 28

106: Re`joni Bailey (G) over (B) (For.)
113: Noah Renn (G) over (B) (For.)
120: Pablo Limon (G) over Gabriel Fajardo (B) (SV-1 4-2)
126: Ermias Keleta (B) over Jason Williams (G) (Fall 1:55)
132: David Olin (B) over (G) (For.)
138: Steve Dobrzynski (G) over Eric Guinn (B) (MD 10-2)
145: Brian Rojas (G) over Kamron Campbell (B) (Fall 3:34)
152: Tymere Wilson (G) over Laurence Majewski (B) (Fall 0:52)
160: Willem Avenarius (G) over Hussein Plummer (B) (Fall 5:48)
170: Curtis Sutton (B) over Charlie Salgado (G) (Fall 4:51)
182: Jonathan Kranz (B) over Tyron Boyer (G) (MD 13-5)
195: Zaqar Shaw (G) over (B) (For.) 220: Phill Williams (G) over (B) (For.)
?285: Edward Rodgers (B) over Cristian Arzte (G) (Fall 1:19)

Glasgow 57 vs Dickinson 24

120: Pablo Limon (G) over (DK) (For.)
126: Anthony Octavio (DK) over (G) (M. For.)
132: Armando Rodriguez (DK) over (G) (For.)
138: Steve Dobrzynski (G) over (DK) (For.)
145: Brian Rojas (G) over Isaiah Archie (DK) (Dec 13-10)
152: Tymere Wilson (G) over (DK) (For.)
160: Willem Avenarius (G) over (DK) (For.)
170: Darren Slagado (G) over (DK) (For.)
182: Quentin Hayes (DK) over Tyron Boyer (G) (Fall 5:03)
195: Zaqar Shaw (G) over Jonathan Pinghera (DK) (Fall 0:39)
220: Duncan Stevens (DK) over Phill Williams (G) (Fall 1:50)
285: Cristian Arzte (G) over (DK) (For.)
106: Noah Renn (G) over (DK) (For.)
113: Re`joni Bailey (G) over (DK) (For.)

Results from Tri-meet on 1/27. 3 dual meets with less than 1 hour of wrestling. I applaud the Brandywine coach here in the matchup vs Dickinson. You can clearly see that he had wrestlers he could have used to run out there as shown vs the matchup with Glasgow.and win by a landslide, but he made a conscious effort to put just enough guys out there to secure the win and make his guys have to wrestle.
That's ugly.

@proud...
hate to say it, Dickinson has 4 wrestlers, that's sad..
at least practice should be easy to manage...

Reactions: proudscfan
@proud...
hate to say it, Dickinson has 4 wrestlers, that's sad..
at least practice should be easy to manage...
Think some people,don't realize what it's like being a north Delaware public school. I could get in my car and hit concord, Brandywine, mount, friends, tower hill, Howard, sallies, archmere, AI and tatnall and probably not use a quarter tank of gas. So while yes we have more people, these kids have lots of choices for schools. Not enough wrestlers to go around until we get more youth involved. The bulldogs are doing a great job and we are finally seeing those kids in HS. Now granted they are spread among 6-7 schools, but they are out wrestling. If someone could get an inner city program going in Wilmington we would see even more results in the coming years.

Remember when just about all schools had full lineups. And almost all schools had at least one top wrestler, those were the days. Now it is just one school, Smyrna.

We have been able to patch together a full lineup with a few first year wrestlers and kid still up a weight or two and I'm fine with that. There really just aren't enough wrestlers to go around up here! Throw in football coaches telling kids they need to get bigger by lifting and it's even worse. Most schools deal with that one! Youth programs are key and that is the primary reason henlopen schools are so tough! We will get there as long as we get these little guys wrestling and to stick with it.

You should really pay attention to more teams. Maybe Smyrna has some of those teams on "their" schedule.

Reactions: concord87
Welcome to the Smyrna A$$ kissers club. The biggest feeder program in the state and still at least 3 starters are out of district, and Im pretty sure there are more than that. Whatever. How can teams compete? I'm cool with it, but call it what it is.

Please tell us which of the 3 plus starters are out of district. Additionally, there are a number of Smyrna wrestlers who take it upon themselves to train / wrestle all year around. You're right, how can teams compete against teams who's wrestlers chose to train/ wrestle all year around to be the best. Although, I don't any reason other wrestlers can't do it too.

Reactions: 1st takedown
Chase Middletown, Baum Middletown, Kelly Glasgow

I think JT Davis is also from up North somewhere. He went to Caravel for Middle School, then transferred to Smyrna MS and now attends Smyrna HS. Granted he was in the Smyrna Little Wrestler program for many years which although I live in the CR District, my son also attended Smyrna Little Wrestlers which is by far one of the best youth programs available in Kent County.

Just saying, everyone wants to be a champion. I don't see Smyrna fading anytime soon. Lets not pretending it's all home grown. Arch spent his entire youth training with Cliff's, only to turn on him when High School called.

Reactions: 1st takedown
My old school CR was and is one the best wrestling teams around imo we are very young right now and will be back on top soon imo but Smyrna is the team to beat, no hating ,their kids have earned the right to be the best. They work hard at their craft. So who cares where they went to elementary or middle school. They are Smyrna now. That's why I enjoy CR we don't cry we get better just my two cents. Congrats to a great season so far to all the Smyrna wrestling family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT