ADVERTISEMENT

High School Baseball Rankings

Mar 7, 2017
This is just my personal opinion, I'd love to hear yours and maybe some input on why

1. Cape
2. Caravel
3. Middletown
4. St. Marks
5. Newark Charter
6. Sallies
7. Smyrna
8. Appo

Am I forgetting anyone, also I think Hodgson, St. Georges, and Archmere are sleeper teams this year.

Reactions: TouchThemAll
This is just my personal opinion, I'd love to hear yours and maybe some input on why

1. Cape
2. Caravel
3. Middletown
4. St. Marks
5. Newark Charter
6. Sallies
7. Smyrna
8. Appo

Am I forgetting anyone, also I think Hodgson, St. Georges, and Archmere are sleeper teams this year.
Hodgson is top 10 at the very least. Return a bunch of good players and have a great coach. Beat Middletown twice last year.

Reactions: moneyballforme

1. Cape
2. Caravel
3. Middletown
4. St. Marks
5. Newark Charter
6. Sallies
7. Smyrna
8. Appo

DMA will be good this year and should be ranked top 8

Newark Charter has big shoes to fill in the starting rotation.
Never underestimate Dover. They put together a really strong team year in and year out.
I'm not sure that Smyrna has the firepower this year that they've had the past few years.
Cape is a strong contender but I think they're going to get pitched around quite a bit and have to rely on the 2nd tier guys producing RBIs. They certainly have the arms and as long as they're throwing strikes, they'll be tough to beat.

1. Cape
2. Caravel
3. Middletown
4. St. Marks
5. Newark Charter
6. Sallies
7. Smyrna
8. Appo

Middletown is not a top 5 team

Middletown is not a top 5 team
What’s your top 5? MTown is back to back Flight A champs returning 6 out of 8 position players and all of it’s pitching. Senior laden team with 4 D1 players, most have started or contributed since Sophomore year. Two will be four year starters. Much tougher schedule this year with St. Mark’s and Caravel added. If the pitching stays healthy, unlike last year, MTown will challenge for the championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8484ron and Bucsnot
Newark Charter has big shoes to fill in the starting rotation.
Never underestimate Dover. They put together a really strong team year in and year out.
I'm not sure that Smyrna has the firepower this year that they've had the past few years.
Cape is a strong contender but I think they're going to get pitched around quite a bit and have to rely on the 2nd tier guys producing RBIs. They certainly have the arms and as long as they're throwing strikes, they'll be tough to beat.

Exactly for Cape ! Some guys gonna have to step up and add protection to the lineup. Good thing is that won’t be a problem , lineup should be pretty strong 1-9

What’s your top 5? MTown is back to back Flight A champs returning 6 out of 8 position players and all of it’s pitching. Senior laden team with 4 D1 players, most have started or contributed since Sophomore year. Two will be four year starters. Much tougher schedule this year with St. Mark’s and Caravel added. If the pitching stays healthy, unlike last year, MTown will challenge for the championship.
No offense

No offense
OK newbie...MTown has gone 14-4 the past two seasons with the same group that will now be Seniors and averaged 8.6 runs per game last year. Your short, uneducated responses don’t hold water. Please give a little more than unsubstantiated post like “No offense” or “They won’t win 8 games”. Elaborate and we can debate. That’s how this thing works.

As usual in DE, until somebody knocks off the private schools (Caravel & St. Marks) they’re the favorites. Hodgson has to be considered as more than just a sleeper in my opinion. I don’t believe that graduated that many seniors last year and the addition of Knowell as the coach adds another demention to how they will compete. Cape and Mtown have as many experienced pitchers as anybody. It’s all about the teams that are peaking come the end of May!

As usual in DE, until somebody knocks off the private schools (Caravel & St. Marks) they’re the favorites. Hodgson has to be considered as more than just a sleeper in my opinion. I don’t believe that graduated that many seniors last year and the addition of Knowell as the coach adds another demention to how they will compete. Cape and Mtown have as many experienced pitchers as anybody. It’s all about the teams that are peaking come the end of May!
I think st marks and caravel are solid but st marks is losing two great pitchers and caravel is losing 4 big hitters. They’ll both still be top 5 but i think cape is a favorite.

OK newbie...MTown has gone 14-4 the past two seasons with the same group that will now be Seniors and averaged 8.6 runs per game last year. Your short, uneducated responses don’t hold water. Please give a little more than unsubstantiated post like “No offense” or “They won’t win 8 games”. Elaborate and we can debate. That’s how this thing works.
Don’t forget they have great energy. They sound like a softball team in the dugout, can’t watch a game without headphones in your ears.

Cape should be the team to beat downstate wise. I like Smyrna but losing Casey really hurt them. Having Carrow and Casey during the week I would of given them a chance but not anymore. They did just add solid OF from Polytech should help their offense. Dover is always sneaky good, this year should be the same. Not overly talented team but should buy into the big picture there and compete. Those are the only 3 teams that will make some noise I believe. Polytech and Tech are both down this year. CR is another year away from being good losing Rigby this year doesn’t help either. Hope that young man recovers from his injury bright future ahead for him.

Reactions: 84rider
Middletown is loaded, no question
Caravel, St. Marks will be good
Newark Charter, Cape Henlopen should contend
sleeper in north: Hodgson
sleeper in south: Indian River
Not so sure about Indian River. I know i just saw they had 4 guys sign to play college ball and they have 6 or 7 seniors returning, but I think their schedule may be their downfall. In addition to playing the 7 Henlopen North teams, and the historically tough Delmar, Milford, and Lake teams from the South, they also have St. Marks, Caravel, and Sallies from out of conference. Games that you might look to be gimme's are Woodbridge coming off of a 1 win season, Seaford who was a borderline playoff team last year that lost 7-8 seniors, Laurel - who stepped up and surprised a few teams last year, Delmarva Christian, and First State Military Academy.

I can guarantee Woodbridge will be much improved, and Laurel is no longer the team they were 4-5 years ago they are more skilled now as well. You've got to think that hosting travel ball tournaments down there for the last 10 years or so has helped up the level of play at Laurel.

I think Delmar is still a solid choice coming from the South despite losing Adkins. All their other arms are returning. Their schedule is more challenging this year out of the gate though. Last year they ran out of the gate going 8-1. This year, 4 of their first 6 are against Henlopen North teams.

Not so sure about Indian River. I know i just saw they had 4 guys sign to play college ball and they have 6 or 7 seniors returning, but I think their schedule may be their downfall. In addition to playing the 7 Henlopen North teams, and the historically tough Delmar, Milford, and Lake teams from the South, they also have St. Marks, Caravel, and Sallies from out of conference. Games that you might look to be gimme's are Woodbridge coming off of a 1 win season, Seaford who was a borderline playoff team last year that lost 7-8 seniors, Laurel - who stepped up and surprised a few teams last year, Delmarva Christian, and First State Military Academy.

I can guarantee Woodbridge will be much improved, and Laurel is no longer the team they were 4-5 years ago they are more skilled now as well. You've got to think that hosting travel ball tournaments down there for the last 10 years or so has helped up the level of play at Laurel.

I think Delmar is still a solid choice coming from the South despite losing Adkins. All their other arms are returning. Their schedule is more challenging this year out of the gate though. Last year they ran out of the gate going 8-1. This year, 4 of their first 6 are against Henlopen North teams.

River played well last year under a new young energetic coach he will have them ready not sure of what talent they return. Delmar has some nice young talent I’m hearing. Never know about anyone! #anygivendayanyone

Yes he plays baseball, but i think he is more a basketball player. Good bat though.
Doesn't sound like he will be play this year.

DMA will be good.
Hertzfeld, Golbieowski, Colin Smith, Marandola, and a good supporting cast. Kevin Williams (freshman) is the best freshman in the state and could start for DMA

DMA will be good.
Hertzfeld, Golbieowski, Colin Smith, Marandola, and a good supporting cast. Kevin Williams (freshman) is the best freshman in the state and could start for DMA
I’m hearing Appo has a freshman already getting offers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT