ADVERTISEMENT

HS 2019 DIVISION 2 BREAKDOWN

HSftballlaxFan

D1AA Prospect
Oct 4, 2008
(For the Record, i tried puttin both on one thread, but Depreps will crash if i post a message more than 10,000 characters so heres Division 2.)

***DIVISION 2 PRESEASON RANKINGS (w/ 2018 Final Record)***
1. Woodbridge (11-2)
2. Friends (10-2)
3. Tower Hill (8-3)
4. Howard (9-2)
5. Delmar (10-2)
6. Caravel (5-5)
7. Archmere (8-3)
8. Laurel (4-6)
9. St. Marks (5-5)
10. Brandywine (5-5)

**Playoff points will begin next week once teams have complete their week 1 schedule so that many of us can track where teams lay throughout the season**

KEY GAMES:
#1 Woodbridge vs. #6 Caravel @ Woodbridge Friday 7:30pm
#FIGHTLIKETROY4 has been the mantra surrounding high school sports in Delaware this year after Woodbridges Quarterback Troy Haynes was diagnosed with cancer. Troy was a star athlete at Woodbridge helping them win two Division 2 State Championships. This season, the players will be use that mantra to help guide them to yet another title. Troy has graduated, but these players will play harder than before to help his fight come lesser than ever. For the first time in many years, the Blue Raiders will feature a new coach in Jed Bell who coached under Ed Manlove for many seasons before moving up after manloves retirement. Woodbridge features many returning lineman from last years team such as Josh Benedict (5-11, 240) and V.J. Singh (5-9, 200) as well as one of the states premier running backs in Jayquon Massey and wide receiver Trey Haynes. Them and transfer quarterback Dalton Perdue will try to keep the ship afloat when they open the 2019 season against Caravel. Caravel, once a powerhouse has had a few lackluster seasons of late but will enter the season with a top quarterback in the division with Jakob Hoffman and one of the better receivers in Ethan Potter who has already committed to play football at Villanova. The Bucs went 5-5 last season but reeled off 5 straight wins to end the season, against teams like Silver Oak, Glasgow, and Concord. Caravel looked much improved during the offseason 7on7 tournament but a lot is going to have to go their way if they wish to come out of Bridgeville with their first win. However, I will leave with you with this, its not how you start the season, its how you end it. With games against Caesar Rodney, St. Georges, and Concord they have a schedule to help make up ground if they do have a blemish on their record. HS PICK: Woodbridge 34 Caravel 21

#2 Wilmington Friends vs. A.I. Dupont @ Friends Saturday 2:00pm
Friends has been itching for their opportunity chance to bring home a State championship, but has ran into a Henlopen South buzzsaw in Woodbridge twice. This time around, Friends is hoping this is their year. They bring in one of top quarterbacks in Wyatt Nelson and his favorite target in Will Davis and their top running back in Pat Mckenzie. Those three will be crucial to what success comes this team. This week, they open with an A.I. Dupont squad that lost most of its key players to graduation but still a contender in the Flight B race. A.I. has been steamrolling through its schedules the last two years and falling short in the playoffs, Howver, Head Coach Zeb Blum is no newcomer to this, or building a team after its star pupils are gone. Division 2 is a little different than Division 1 as far as playoffs goes, EIGHT teams make the playable field because of the amount of schools with football programs at the Division 2 level. Although two more gets in, its harder than ever to make it in because the chances of a 6-4, or even a 7-3 team sometimes falls just short of that line. The Tigers have 4 games on their schedule where they must take care of business if they wish to contend, Friends, Howard, Newark, and Brandywine. Friends is in the same boat with A.I. Dupont, Woodbridge, Lake Forest, Delmar, and Tower Hill, so a win for either will be crucial. HS PICK: Friends 36 A.I. Dupont 17

OTHER GAMES TO TRACK
#4 Howard vs. Concord @ Caravel Friday 7:00 pm
Newark vs. Glasgow @ Newark Friday 7:00pm
#9 Laurel vs. #10 Brandywine @ Laurel Friday 7:00pm

I think Lake should be in the top 10 especially if you have Laurel(who they destroyed last year) and Caravel(who they beat) and finished the season on the 3 game win streak. They also return most of their team obviously led by seniors Kris Thompson and Zaire Elliott. Great write up btw, definitely appreciate the time and effort and just glad the football season is back.

HS you are most certainly optimistic with the Laurel football program. Have you forgotten that Laurel School District released Ennis? This program is on the same path of Seaford and there is no upside anytime soon. Laurel will win 2-3 games this season (I am being very optimistic).

Last edited:
I’m not saying you guys are wrong. However I created my Top 10s a couple of weeks ago and I stick with my assessment. I do think Lake should be in there, and I believe they will be in there. Just like I think Newark will be there too shortly.

Keep in mind it’s Preseason. And doing a Top 10 out of 25 plus is kind of hard sometimes when you get to the last few who are deserving. Let me see how Laurel performs this week, and Lake and they could swap. But for right now I’m sticking with my lists I wrote a month ago. (For the record, they are never right)

Reactions: smack.jack99
I was at all the Delmar Varsity and JV games last year and it's my opinion that Lake is going to do better than Laurel this year. The Lake Varsity and JV teams both looked better than the Laurel Varsity and JV teams did last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
HS you are most certainly optimistic with the Laurel football program. Have you forgotten that Laurel School District released Ennis? This program is on the same path of Seaford and there is no upside anytime soon. Laurel will win 2-3 games this season (I am being very optimistic).

Laurel’s new coach is a former Salisbury University QB and more recently assistant coach. Heard he brought a couple other SU assistants with him. Not sure if that’s 100% or not. Laurel’s main problem is lack of talent.

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
;) Yeah the talent school choices to Delmar. At least that is what the woman told me at the Laurel Food Lion

Last edited:
Also, I would switch Brandywine with McKean they might surprise some folks you heard it here first!

Last edited:
Just a quick note HS, Howard was 8-3 last year (lost to Hodgson and AI in the regular season and The Bridge in the first round of the playoffs).

D2 really only has maybe 4 or 5 teams that you can nail down as playoff teams so it's going to be an interesting season, especially with a few D2 contenders having a chance to get an extra two points with D1 wins early in the schedule.

I think Woodbridge wins Henny South, Delmar and Lake follow close behind
Howard wins Flight B, AI close behind, Brandywine and McKean are sleepers
Archmere or DMA wins Diamond State
Friends wins SPL, Tower Hill likely finishes in the top 4 of the seedings
Caravel is a wild card everyone should look out for.

;) Yeah the talent school choices to Delmar. At least that is what the woman told me at the Laurel Food Lion

Delmar had a few Laurel boys when they won 3 straight in early 2000s. But only 1-2 actually transferred from Laurel. Can’t remember any since then off the top of my head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT