ADVERTISEMENT

HS PRESEASON TOP TEAMS.

HSftballlaxFan

D1AA Prospect
Oct 4, 2008
With equipments handouts probably next Friday I figured I’d try and get this forum rolling again. Hopefully we get some packed stadiums this year being that last year quite a few people didn’t get a chance to watch football in person. With that said, good luck to all the teams this year and stay safe!

Class 3A
1. Sussex Central - Defending State Champ, with some talent returning. The Wing - T offense is one that’s not easy to stop so until someone in state beats them they should be the top dog.
2. Middletown - State Runner Ups, brings back every starter from last years team except its RT and QB. However QB should see an upgrade with the addition of Braden Davis returning. With 3 D1 players on its roster they should be tough to beat.
3. Smyrna - Transfer Dematha QB Came Edge will have this team rolling and with returnees Wayne Knight and Yamir Knight the offense is going to be tough to stop.
4. St. George’s - Sanchez brings a lot of versatility to their offense, and the defense brings back two of its premier players on the line.
5. Salesianum - You can ever count out the Sals in football so until another team in the 11 team field shows they are better than the Big S, they round out my top 5 here.

CLASS 2A
1. DMA - Devon Greene would be my early pick for player of the year, and once Allyene gets in sync with his receivers this is going to be the odds on favorite in this class. Let’s not mention I don’t see anyone throwing over the top on this defense with Coombes at safety.
2. Woodbridge - With new head coach Dooley at the helm, he hasn’t had many losing seasons and the talent pool in Greenwood is too rich to where he can’t pull some athletes.
3. Archmere - has been a serious contender over the last few years and with its schedule the only tough games I see is DMA, and St. Marks.
4. Delmar - Always fields a tough team. They breed football players down there.
5. Red Lion - The Lions surprised quite a few people last year reaching the tournament before meeting the Howard Juggernaut, with some new transfer this year I can see them making tough for other teams.
6. St. Marks - the offense impressed me during 7on7, big bodied and fast. What will make or break this team will be if they can slow down other teams from scoring
7- Caravel & Howard - Howard lost most of its star power to graduation and transfers but Ritter always finds a way to get his team ready for a playoff run. Caravel QB Richardson looked good when he was at caravel, and the wideouts have some speed. But their schedule is what worries me about making a playoff run.

CLASS 1A
1. Laurel - With not having to play the bigger teams any more, Laurel could see itself go on a a playoff run for the next few years
2. Glasgow - Glasgow has always fielded some athletes but could never get over the hump. This could be their year?
3. Indian River - it’s been a long time since their 2011 state championship but they are due for a good season not having to play some of the bigger D2 teams.
4. Polytech - no longer having to play the Smyrna and Central’s anymore, they should be able to compete for a championship now.

Last edited:
3a - Middletown (Kevin Ignudo now on this team too), Smyrna (love transfer QBs for preseason polls), SC (wing-t plus reigning state champ)

2a - DMA (scariest team on paper at this point), Woodbridge (much better fit than St E for Dooley) , Archmere (they've made the playoffs 3 years in a row)

1a - Laurel, Poly, Glasgow

In 3a I think your top 3 of Middletown, Smyrna, and SC is spot on. I think with Davis at Middletown and Edge at Smyrna will probably push them past SC.

2a Archmere has seemed to be on the cusp the last couple years and this may be the year for them. Woodbridge and Delmar always seem to have athletes to make them competitive. I think DMA has the athletes to compete with anyone but the line will be the key, they are young but they are big. All new coaching staff will also be key.

1a unfortunately I don't know about about these teams but I imagine without having to play the better 2a schools should make this a competitive division.

HS. On AAA, NPOA. The bad thing for the Sals is that - as they play all 4 teams you have ahead of them - projects as 4 losses for the Sals. Plus my intel is that Penn will beat also beat them this year. That makes the Big S 5-5 at best.

Looks like a long year at Abessinio.

Reactions: trapblock22
Class 2A:
I agree that the top 8 will most likely be Archmere, Caravel, Delmar, DMA, Howard, Red Lion, St. Mark’s , and Woodbridge (in alphabetical order). I won’t rank them, but I will make some observations:

Archmere: They have been consistently good the last few years, but have never been good enough to seriously compete for the title.

Caravel: Highly dependent on the people they can recruit. Hard to say if they will be good enough to compete for the title until their roster is known.

Delmar: Always a threat to go all the way, if DIAA doesn’t screw them again.

DMA: They sound good on paper, but a new staff and a bunch of transfers does not make a team. A good team can beat a poorly coached group of superstars. Going to have to wait and see.

Howard: You can’t count them out, even with all the players who graduated.

Red Lion: Made the playoffs last year for the first time in a while, hard to say if they will be as good as last year or not.

St. Mark’s: Have been on the cusp of making the playoffs the last few years. They will probably get in this year, but I doubt they will compete for the championship.

Woodbridge: A new head coach and AD who has a mixed record (54.6% winning percentage. 6 years with a winning record, 5 years with a losing record, 1 with a tie), a team that made the playoffs last year (2020) mostly because they ran up the scores on bad teams, and a team that made the championship game the year before that (2019) due to not having to play the final champion (Howard) until the championship game (they were the third best team that year). I think they will definitely make the playoffs, and they are always a team that can't be taken lightly, but will have to wait and see if they are going to compete for the championship this year.

Class 1A:
Laurel should be the team to beat. It should be a competitive conference, and any team could step up and win. Much more interesting than previous years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Longagoplayer
Class 2A:
I agree that the top 8 will most likely be Archmere, Caravel, Delmar, DMA, Howard, Red Lion, St. Mark’s , and Woodbridge (in alphabetical order). I won’t rank them, but I will make some observations:

Archmere: They have been consistently good the last few years, but have never been good enough to seriously compete for the title.

Caravel: Highly dependent on the people they can recruit. Hard to say if they will be good enough to compete for the title until their roster is known.

Delmar: Always a threat to go all the way, if DIAA doesn’t screw them again.

DMA: They sound good on paper, but a new staff and a bunch of transfers does not make a team. A good team can beat a poorly coached group of superstars. Going to have to wait and see.

Howard: You can’t count them out, even with all the players who graduated.

Red Lion: Made the playoffs last year for the first time in a while, hard to say if they will be as good as last year or not.

St. Mark’s: Have been on the cusp of making the playoffs the last few years. They will probably get in this year, but I doubt they will compete for the championship.

Woodbridge: A new head coach and AD who has a mixed record (54.6% winning percentage. 6 years with a winning record, 5 years with a losing record, 1 with a tie), a team that made the playoffs last year (2020) mostly because they ran up the scores on bad teams, and a team that made the championship game the year before that (2019) due to not having to play the final champion (Howard) until the championship game. I think they will definitely make the playoffs, and they are always a team that can't be taken lightly, but will have to wait and see if they are going to compete for the championship this year.

A dark horse in my opinion is Cape Henlopen. They are the biggest school in 2A (if there is a bigger one let me know), they played well last year, and they won the 4Troy Foundation 7 on 7 tournament this last weekend against some good teams (APPO, BENNETT, CAPE, CONRAD, DELMAR, EASTON, FIRST STATE, FRIENDS, MILFORD, ODESSA, QUEEN ANNE’S, ST. ELIZABETH’S, STEPHEN DECATUR, SUSSEX CENTRAL, WOODBRIDGE).

Class 1A:
Laurel should be the team to beat. It should be a competitive conference, and any team could step up and win. Much more interesting than previous years.
Unless something changed I do believe Cape is in division 3 with dover, cr, Middletown and that group of teams. While DMA does have a new coaching staff which can cause issues I do have to say that I am very impressed by them. The head coach also comes out of very good programs from Philly and it appears that he has these totally buying into the program.

Unless something changed I do believe Cape is in division 3 with dover, cr, Middletown and that group of teams. While DMA does have a new coaching staff which can cause issues I do have to say that I am very impressed by them. The head coach also comes out of very good programs from Philly and it appears that he has these totally buying into the program.
You're right, Cape is in 3A. I must have been thinking about one of the other realignment proposals, plus Cape is on Delmar's schedule this year which reinforced my misconception. My mistake.

I'm not saying DMA won't be a good team, they probably will be. But until they perform, it's impossible to say for sure. I've seen other teams that were supposed to be good under perform in my life.

Reactions: Longagoplayer
You're right, Cape is in 3A. I must have been thinking about one of the other realignment proposals, plus Cape is on Delmar's schedule this year which reinforced my misconception. My mistake.

I'm not saying DMA won't be a good team, they probably will be. But until they perform, it's impossible to say for sure. I've seen other teams that were supposed to be good under perform in my life.
Oh I totally agree DMA could go any way this year. Like most have said on paper they look good but they could easily end up 5-5. I do like the idea that in D2 any of the top 10 teams could possibly run away with a state title and be very competitive. D3 really does seem like a 3 team race and same with D1.

I still need to think through the possibility of a Newark playoff berth. Are the Jackets a year away? Opening game with Howard will tell us something.

William Penn lost some key talent to Neuman-Goretti, I think Sals will come away with a win there.

This is just my opinion but I see 3A shaping up like this..

Appo (5-5)
Middletown (8-2)
Hodgson (6-4)
Salesianum (7-3)
St. George’s (7-3)
William Penn (3-7)
Cape Henlopen (0-10)
Caesar Rodney (3-7)
Dover (1-9)
Smyrna (8-2)
Sussex Central (9-1)

thats just looking at their schedules, I hate predicting a team to go 0-10. The games I see where they can sneak in a win or two is the Appo, Dover, and CR games.

I really hope Appo has a good year and just for selfish reasons of knowing the QB for a few years. It is fun watching a 6'7" monster just throw the ball all over the field lol.

Appo has been improving year after year, the only thing that holds them back is their opponents obviously. Their schedule has never been easy playing Hodgson, William Penn, Middletown and St. George’s. Their wins are usually at the hands of Delcastle, Charter, Newark and the occasional D2 team they filled their schedule with. I sometimes wonder if maybe they would be better off in D2. Pulling out of the same talent pool as Middletown you’d think they’d find success, and maybe one day they will but for now as it holds, Playing Middletown, Sallies, Hodgson and Smyrna it’s going to be tough for them to go over 6 wins.

I totally agree with you that schedule will be their downfall. Like I said I just really like Ryan Von Brandt's play. Now obviously this will probably be a few years away but with Odessa now up there will that be a team takes what would have been Middletown or Appo kids and puts them on their team. Will this cause 3 teams that are average or will one team still be dominant. And off topic but I went to a 7v7 game at Odessa and wow what a gorgeous campus and stunning looking field.

Yes and no as it concerns players going to different schools. If said player/family likes a certain school they will find a way to make sure said athlete attends the school they want. At the moment, the kids have to go to their designated school until Odessa has a senior class, so 2 more years (I believe) After that kids can go to whatever school as long as they can find transportation. Like it’s been in the past.

Again no matter what school in the state, if a family wants to go to a certain one not in their zone, there are ways around the “documented words”…….loopholes if you will. It happens in every district, every sport. It just doesn’t get blown up like it would if it’s posted on this forum.

Gotcha I wasn't 100% on what it was like when a new high school opened up in a town. Growing up in Dover and only having one middle and one high school I never experienced that type of thing. Just keep shoving kids in or build a bigger one is what I use to lol. I always wonder when a new school is opened how often the coaches are able to bring in top athletes to "help put the program on the map" or "be the piece that helps make the jump".

I totally agree with you that schedule will be their downfall. Like I said I just really like Ryan Von Brandt's play. Now obviously this will probably be a few years away but with Odessa now up there will that be a team takes what would have been Middletown or Appo kids and puts them on their team. Will this cause 3 teams that are average or will one team still be dominant. And off topic but I went to a 7v7 game at Odessa and wow what a gorgeous campus and stunning looking field.
I watched a lot of Appo 7v7 this year as step son plays for Odessa and they always played at same locations. That tall QB throws a good deep ball. They were loaded with athletes, one parent said they got a transfer WR and if it’s the kid who I think it was from on field that kid was very good. (Yes it’s 7v7 and different then pads.
As for Odessa, I’m excited for them. My step son is an incoming freshman and they have some good athletes for being fresh & sophomores.

William Penn lost some key talent to Neuman-Goretti, I think Sals will come away with a win there.

This is just my opinion but I see 3A shaping up like this..

Appo (5-5)
Middletown (8-2)
Hodgson (6-4)
Salesianum (7-3)
St. George’s (7-3)
William Penn (3-7)
Cape Henlopen (0-10)
Caesar Rodney (3-7)
Dover (1-9)
Smyrna (8-2)
Sussex Central (9-1)

thats just looking at their schedules, I hate predicting a team to go 0-10. The games I see where they can sneak in a win or two is the Appo, Dover, and CR games.
I have heard of quite a few of our Delaware kids from numerous schools going to Neumann Goretti. Players from Salies, Middletown, Mt Pleasant, Concord, Caravel and now William Penn. Why are so many leaving to go to this specific school? Are the recruiting opportunities that much better outside of DE?

I have heard of quite a few of our Delaware kids from numerous schools going to Neumann Goretti. Players from Salies, Middletown, Mt Pleasant, Concord, Caravel and now William Penn. Why are so many leaving to go to this specific school? Are the recruiting opportunities that much better outside of DE?
More so then in Delaware. Neumann Goretti gets kids from all over. My son goes to DMA but he was playing travel ball in Maryland and they came and talked to him there so they do try to bring kids from all over and I do know that one of the kids that my son played with is entering there as a freshman this year. They put kids in plenty of FCS and FBS programs and have college scouts at most of their games. I think that draw alone has kids wanting to attend with just the option of being seen.

I watched a lot of Appo 7v7 this year as step son plays for Odessa and they always played at same locations. That tall QB throws a good deep ball. They were loaded with athletes, one parent said they got a transfer WR and if it’s the kid who I think it was from on field that kid was very good. (Yes it’s 7v7 and different then pads.
As for Odessa, I’m excited for them. My step son is an incoming freshman and they have some good athletes for being fresh & sophomores.
I hope so for Odessa. It can be hard on those new programs to get established but as long as the coaches and and kids are committed it should be sooner rather then later.

I saw Odessa at the 4Troy Foundation 7 on 7 tournament last weekend and even though they only had Freshman and Sophomores, they looked pretty good. Usual caveats about it only being 7 on 7, but you can usually tell if a team is really good or really bad by watching them play 7 on 7 and Odessa isn't either in my opinion.

Last edited:
I saw Odessa at the 4Troy Foundation 7 on 7 tournament last weekend and even though they only had Freshman and Sophomores, they looked pretty good. Usual caveats about it only being 7 on 7, but you can usually tell if a team is really good or really bad by watching them play 7 on 7 and Odessa isn't either in my opinion.
I missed that tournament, but that is always positive. They should be ok in the 1A for a couple of years.
Also, I’ve heard a rumor of the coach from Goretti that had Delaware ties has left? I don’t know how much longer of getting DE kids will happen. Besides their reputation of the connections with FBS AND FCS programs.

I am pretty sure NG has been recruiting kids through a training program in Newark that former Red Lion/ECA players own and run that is modeled after the old FLASH program. A coach at NG who was also the creator of FLASH and of course the coach at ECA and Red Lion is/was a trainer there. That coach is the connect to the FBS and FCS programs and recruiting thereof. If the rumor DBACK has heard is true that should curtail the pipeline.

I did just notice NG added Sallies DE Brett Kwoka to their roster a couple days ago so there is that.

Last edited:
New schools in Middletown area could seen success in the lower divisions from the beginning. Just look at history for that. Obviously Middletown was able to make a transition from a top DII school into a top DI team. Appo was a top DII school and there last year was in position to win it all until Archmere upset them on their way to the championship game that year. Unfortunately Appo has not had the same success as Middletown in DI. Good team but not a great team. I would think Odessa would follow suit and be successful in the lower division but once numbers and I guess now records reach the mark they could be thrown into a different group. Just in time for the next school in the district to open up. Than there will be four schools drawing student athletes

I do like the arm on Von Brandt and they did get a transfer receiver. I’ve heard a lot about him but that was coming from a coach. I forget what school he came from. It will be interesting for sure watching them this season. I think what that program needs is their first big time win over a school they typically lose to, I.e. Sallies, Middletown, Hodgson that will help push them over that hump.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
I am pretty sure NG has been recruiting kids through a training program in Newark that former Red Lion/ECA players own and run that is modeled after the old FLASH program. A coach at NG who was also the creator of FLASH and of course the coach at ECA and Red Lion is/was a trainer there. That coach is the connect to the FBS and FCS programs and recruiting thereof. If the rumor DBACK has heard is true that should curtail the pipeline.

I did just notice NG added Sallies DE Brett Kwoka to their roster a couple days ago so there is that.
Looking at the NG roster on MaxPreps, which may or may not be 100% accurate, I see the following Delaware players: Kwoka, Micah Wing (Caravel, Salesianum), Mekhi Williams (Penn), Devon Green (DMA). Raleigh Collins III, who played at Caravel 2 years ago, is also on the roster. I don't know everyone on every team, but those were the names I recognized immediately.

At least half the roster is made up of transfers.

Looking at the NG roster on MaxPreps, which may or may not be 100% accurate, I see the following Delaware players: Kwoka, Micah Wing (Caravel, Salesianum), Mekhi Williams (Penn), Devon Green (DMA). Raleigh Collins III, who played at Caravel 2 years ago, is also on the roster. I don't know everyone on every team, but those were the names I recognized immediately.

At least half the roster is made up of transfers.
I don't think Green and Wing transferred. Amir Batts from Mt Pleasant has though.

Dev Greene is definitely still at DMA so that is odd if he is listed on NGs roster.

I don't think Green and Wing transferred. Amir Batts from Mt Pleasant has though.

Not sure what the deal is with Wing. He was going to transfer to NG last year but ended up at Sallies. Looks like Caravel added him back on their roster in June and NG just added him yesterday.. hmm

• b89c9d1e-759f-49a2-8c69-972b99ac2700.gif
    Micah has been added to the Neumann-Goretti football roster.​

Posted yesterday

• fd16adfb-40c8-430a-ad76-b65470ef45c0.gif
    Micah has been added to the Caravel football roster.​

Posted Fri, Jun 11 2021 @ 10:32 AM

As for Devon Green, posted July 30

Another observation if the QB continues to hold the ball like that he will likely fumble a bunch.. just saying of course

Interesting though NG has him on their hudl roster as well in 2020-2021. He must have been thinking of going there last year like many kids when they thought DE wasn't going to play because of covid and then decided to stay at DMA. He is not on NG hudl roster for 2021-2022

but then there is this on MP? weird

b89c9d1e-759f-49a2-8c69-972b99ac2700.gif
Devon has been added to the Neumann-Goretti football roster.​

Posted yesterday

I see now something must be screwy with NG maxpreps like it got reset somehow. The whole roster is showing as added yesterday so basically anyone that was on it prior got reset in as added yesterday. They probably added DG in last year but he didn't come but he was still in their list of players...

Hudl would be the place to go to get a more current roster not necessarily all correct but better than MP

Actually not just NG but all the teams Maxpreps rosters were reset and the players all show as just added.

Of course, I am clueless.

My sense is that Wing was looking at NG when he was leaving Caravel 2 years ago. Both schools showed him on projected rosters. Then his family chose Salesianum. What other explanation can there be?

Bummy wishes success to all competitors this year.

Let’s hope the Covid crap doesn’t mess up the season.

Get vaccinated and wear your masks indoors.

God bless Claymont!

Gotcha I wasn't 100% on what it was like when a new high school opened up in a town. Growing up in Dover and only having one middle and one high school I never experienced that type of thing. Just keep shoving kids in or build a bigger one is what I use to lol. I always wonder when a new school is opened how often the coaches are able to bring in top athletes to "help put the program on the map" or "be the piece that helps make the jump".
How long ago did you grow up in Dover, as long as I can remember there was always Central Middle and William Henry, just curious

How long ago did you grow up in Dover, as long as I can remember there was always Central Middle and William Henry, just curious
I always considered central as the middle school since William Henry is only 5th and 6th.

Comments Preseason: only speak in positives. Don’t like speaking negative on teams
William Penn is legit. They block up front, they will be in high scoring games all year.
Cape- they have been building for 3 years. They are ready to break out.
Middletown-Legit. They will end season top 50 in country. Coin flip game with St. Joes
Lake Forest- will make playoffs. Speed kills.
Tower Hill- will make playoffs and frustrate so many teams all year.

weather will be huge factor in November. Quality will peek in the cold. Speed will die in November.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT