ADVERTISEMENT

Injury Time.....

Mar 13, 2009
It's seems like anymore injury time is time in the bank for some. It is there for a wrestler who is legitimately injured or hurt. I am noticing more and more that it's being abused. Wrestlers swirling their finger because they are sucking wind or stop the pace or the momentum shift or even getting out of a move they got stuck in that may change the outcome of the match. Maybe there has to be some type of review on how this is applied????

Thank the lawyers! It's ridiculous but the officials have no choice. Another thing that only coaches can change by making sure that their kids know that it's unacceptable to do it unless you're truly injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: youjustme
Thank the lawyers! It's ridiculous but the officials have no choice. Another thing that only change by making sure that their kids know that it's unacceptable to do it unless you're truly injured.

Very true .. it come down to how the kids are coached not on the officials

It's actually unsportsmanlike conduct to feign (fake) injury but like you said, the official has little option but to stop the match when the wrestler indicates injury. I'd like to see coaches instill a sense of honor in the kids instead of external forces having to mediate the behavior. One of the.most vocal Smyrna Dads says some borderline things sometimes. But last night, he used the expression "tow (toe) the line!" when a questionable timeout was taken. That was so appropriate since in wrestling, you literally put your "toe" on the line to begin action.

Wrap that shit up and keep wrestling ....well unless your arm or leg are dangling. lol Defin saw some injury times called that just so happened to get a kid out of being pinned. I know some kids wrestled with torn ligaments, etc and didn't call an injury time. Also, glad to see the coach that literally drug his wrestler back to shake hands...If that was my kid I would have pulled him for acting like that, but maybe I'm crazy

Reactions: Wishbone85
The officials are definitely in a bad spot on injury time. You have to give it when a wrestler requests it. I think we switch to college injury time rules where after the first the opponent gets choice, after the second injury timeout the opponent is awarded a point and choice and after the third the match is terminated. The way its set up now in high school a wrestler essentially gets a break when needed with no penalty.

College stalling is so effective because of the out of bounds rule, which will come no time soon in high school. I feel like a lot of stalemates last weekend could've been a stall call. If you bang a kid once they wrestle freely from there on our for the most part.

Reactions: concord87
College stalling is so effective because of the out of bounds rule, which will come no time soon in high school. I feel like a lot of stalemates last weekend could've been a stall call. If you bang a kid once they wrestle freely from there on our for the most part.
Yeah college out of bounds won't happen because most schools would need new mats and tournaments wouldn't have enough room for number of mats we use now, but the stalling call if you don't wrestle back in aspect instead of backing straight out would help.

Reactions: MatMiracle
First injury time 30 seconds. If there is a serious injury then go into the next (second time) 60 seconds and lose choice.

May stop the unnecessary conditioning timeouts. After that if they can't continue match is over anyway. But it may make a wrestler use the injury time more wisely or get in shape.

Something to think about.

Reactions: silverlining
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT