ADVERTISEMENT

Kory Holden

APboy

moving up to Varsity
Aug 31, 2002
Just heard that Kory Holden announced today that he is transferring from UD. He is a talented player who can compete at a level above. Can the UD program get any lower? No disrespect to anyone, but it seems like time to clean house and start fresh to rebuild from scratch.

Heard this was coming for a few weeks now. Monty is done and UDs top 2 scorers are leaving. They may be the worst team in the nation next year

Reactions: Dropping 3's
Just heard that Kory Holden announced today that he is transferring from UD. He is a talented player who can compete at a level above. Can the UD program get any lower? No disrespect to anyone, but it seems like time to clean house and start fresh to rebuild from scratch.
Yeah EE I posted this on another thread earlier. I was suggesting Mosely follow suit in transferring to get far away as possible from BBall44. LOL

Reactions: spartakos
Heard this was coming for a few weeks now. Monty is done and UDs top 2 scorers are leaving. They may be the worst team in the nation next year
Time's up. Monte' has 2 yrs left on his contract. UD will gladly eat it to bring in a new regime.

As far as I know, Waterman has no coaching experience in the college ranks. Going from a head coach of a Delaware HS team to a head coach of a D1 college team is a big leap.
Neither has bob Hurley Sr at st. Anthony jersey city but they'll hire him in a second on any college job so why not Stan, he has the talent also. What about guys who are successful in college like Donavan who get pro jobs. It's about talent, Stan played college ball and undestands the college game. I think he would be a great college coach. Lastly just because someone may have spent a few years as an assistant coaching in college does not mean they any good or that qualifies them. Colleges hire talent and success. Winners, Stan embodies this.

I would like to see Stan move up but he has no interest in leaving Sanford. Myers would help bring big time players to UD. Along with being a Young great coach.

As far as I know, Waterman has no coaching experience in the college ranks. Going from a head coach of a Delaware HS team to a head coach of a D1 college team is a big leap.
I actually read in an article after Sanford winning the chip where Stan did state he always had an interest in coaching at the next level. He's turned down quite a few offers because he wanted to wait for his daughter to graduate, which she has. He just said he loves the position he's in at Sanford.

NO Disrespect but I wish this state would slow down on the Stan Waterman being the coach of UD. College coaching is a different animal. I’m not saying that he could not coach there and have some success. But I truly believe that Stan is in a different mindset now. If he was ten or fifteen years younger and would have had the success that he has now I think her would have left if that job had opened up. I think he loves that in the offseason that is his time to be with his family. If he takes that job at UD, the landscape for him would change. He would be required to win every year, and that means being able to recruit to that school. And right now UD is not a hot bed or have a history of being a hot bed for basketball talent. He would have to recruit all year round across the country. Which is different to recruit in the state of Delaware to the local high school and have success. I just think he doesn’t want the headache of having to win when he can make so much of an impact on young people lives at this level.. He made that statement in his interview in Sundays paper.

UD will have to get an assistant coach that comes from a high profile school and needs some experience. And then the school is darn near an ivy league school. So some of the one and done are not coming to UD. They will have to get kids that are on the boarder of being good and will stay in the program for 3 to 4 yours. Now I will say this Stan Waterman will have leg in on maybe keeping some of the in state talent here. But not all.

NO Disrespect but I wish this state would slow down on the Stan Waterman being the coach of UD. College coaching is a different animal. I’m not saying that he could not coach there and have some success. But I truly believe that Stan is in a different mindset now. If he was ten or fifteen years younger and would have had the success that he has now I think her would have left if that job had opened up. I think he loves that in the offseason that is his time to be with his family. If he takes that job at UD, the landscape for him would change. He would be required to win every year, and that means being able to recruit to that school. And right now UD is not a hot bed or have a history of being a hot bed for basketball talent. He would have to recruit all year round across the country. Which is different to recruit in the state of Delaware to the local high school and have success. I just think he doesn’t want the headache of having to win when he can make so much of an impact on young people lives at this level.. He made that statement in his interview in Sundays paper.

UD will have to get an assistant coach that comes from a high profile school and needs some experience. And then the school is darn near an ivy league school. So some of the one and done are not coming to UD. They will have to get kids that are on the boarder of being good and will stay in the program for 3 to 4 yours. Now I will say this Stan Waterman will have leg in on maybe keeping some of the in state talent here. But not all.
I agree that college is a different animal altogether. Stan is a quality coach for sure and might be able to do it, but others have tried and really had difficult times. Remember Bob Wade going from Dunbar to the University of Maryland? How about Jerry Faust from Cincinnati Moeller to Notre Dame? Both were gone in a couple years without success. There are a number of highly successful long-term high school coaches around the country who have been wooed by colleges and never went. Maybe they knew something??

UD a darn near Ivy school?!?

Did you really mean to say that?

yes- there course schedule and entrance exam is borderline Ivy league.. that's one reason Monty Williams cant get a lot of talent that are in public school. They have a academic criteria that mirrors some ivy league schools. That one reason Monty struggles with some talent..

yes- there course schedule and entrance exam is borderline Ivy league.. that's one reason Monty Williams cant get a lot of talent that are in public school. They have a academic criteria that mirrors some ivy league schools. That one reason Monty struggles with some talent..

What entrance exam? I have sent 2 kids through UD and they did not have to take an exam that I know of.

Entrance exam SAT! UVA has much tougher academic standards than UD and they seem to fill a decent bball roster...
The major reason UD struggled so much as of late is because the former AD failed to renew Montes contract in a timely manor, which severely hampered recruiting!

Last edited:
Top level kids want to play in more challenging conferences with teams that get national spotlight, nothing to do with UD academic standards or Monty. As long as a kid clears the NCAA clearinghouse they have full discretion who they let in.

Who is Monty W. & what school?

Stan will equal greatness anywhere he goes, would love to see him at UD, think he would do wonders for that program, anyway he could maybe be an assistant and still keep a position at Sanford if things fall through, like Jackson did at Penn, could always come back whenever he wants.

wow. there are a lot of paint chip eating people on here.. Sorry if I spelled the man's name wrong by a letter. But the point behind the message is, that for the athletes and the players that UD need to make the change some of them may not be able to handle the work load of a UD. and standards that come with it..

I doubt that UD will lower academic standards for the possible sake of the basketball program! The conversation should be about helping our children become better student athletes so that they can enroll in better institutions of higher education. Universities will always strive to be more competitive similar to athletes...

I would think duke has higher academics than ud. No problem with talent. Kansas good school to. Nothing to do with ud academics. Players dream about making it pro, being in spotlight on national tv, playing against the best competition. Playing in a enthusiastic supportive environment with good coaches, fans and other talented kids. Winning. U d offers MRBBALL 44. Why UD if u can go to a sec school, acc or A10 and get better exposure and institutional support. A degree from ud, south Carolina, Kansas, Michigan state, Maryland all the same, but the experience is a thousand times better at those other institutions. How do I know I went to one of those schools and have observed the UD experience for 18 years living in delaware. Furthermore today's Elite players mostly attend good private schools and can go anywhere, look at espn top 25. In delaware the top kid this year goes to Sanford. Next year the 2 top kids instate Davis & Ingraham. 1 goes to salesianum the other Sanford. Elite talented kids are prepared to go anywhere UD not offering anything they want which is why Holden getting the hell outta dodge. Carl towns 4.0 okarfor 3.6. Gpa. Lets be real UD not a school for bball, football yes, but bball definite not. Dickson (Quinnipiac) Allen (rider) Cale (seton hall) nothing to do with academics. Move UD to big 12, sec, big east, A10 etc and hire a good coach & that place would be attractive to top level kids.

Last edited:
I would think duke has higher academics than ud. No problem with talent. Kansas good school to. Nothing to do with ud academics. Players dream about making it pro, being in spotlight on national tv, playing against the best competition. Playing in a enthusiastic supportive environment with good coaches, fans and other talented kids. Winning. U d offers MRBBALL 44. Why UD if u can go to a sec school, acc or A10 and get better exposure and institutional support. A degree from ud, south Carolina, Kansas, Michigan state, Maryland all the same, but the experience is a thousand times better at those other institutions. How do I know I went to one of those schools and have observed the UD experience for 18 years living in delaware. Furthermore today's Elite players mostly attend good private schools and can go anywhere, look at espn top 25. In delaware the top kid this year goes to Sanford. Next year the 2 top kids instate Davis & Ingraham. 1 goes to salesianum the other Sanford. Elite talented kids are prepared to go anywhere UD not offering anything they want which is why Holden getting the hell outta dodge. Carl towns 4.0 okarfor 3.6. Gpa. Lets be real UD not a school for bball, football yes, but bball definite not. Dickson (Quinnipiac) Allen (rider) Cale (seton hall) nothing to do with academics. Move UD to big 12, sec, big east, A10 etc and hire a good coach & that place would be attractive to top level kids.

This is some thread.

One guy thinks UD is almost an Ivy league school and another thinks a degree from UD is the same as North Carolina. There are vast differences in the academic entry requirements among those schools and UD as well as the outcomes achieved by the graduates of those institutions compared to UD.

This is some thread.

One guy thinks UD is almost an Ivy league school and another thinks a degree from UD is the same as North Carolina. There are vast differences in the academic entry requirements among those schools and UD as well as the outcomes achieved by the graduates of those institutions compared to UD.
Tough entry requirements has nothing to do with education quality or individual self motivation. It is individual self motivation that ultimately determines success not ud vs nc entrance requirements. I am pretty sucessful & I don't treat a UD resume in front of me any different than a nc, Maryland, Virginia etc. Now if u talking Yale, Harvard, duke etc that's different. Stanford, duke, Vanderbilt are pretigious schools but they stay loaded with talent. Difference sec, acc, Pac 10 & good coaches. We always want to blame kids rather than facing the fact that UD not marketable to elite athletes not the other way around.

We always want to blame kids rather than facing the fact that UD not marketable to elite athletes not the other way around.
Who's blaming kids, and what are they blaming them for? And considering some of the offers they held, some coaches certainly considered the Reeder brothers elite athletes.

Who's blaming kids, and what are they blaming them for? And considering some of the offers they held, some coaches certainly considered the Reeder brothers elite athletes.

Lazertron, I'm just responding to this notion that ud academic standards in anyway has anything to do with the level of talent attracted to it's basketball program. The idea that top level kids cannot meet them when we see schools like duke, Vanderbilt, & Stanford loaded with talent every year. Rather than accept the reality that they need to make the program more attractive many UD people create these fallacies. UD is a good school, but so is all the others, nobody gets a special advantage for having a UD engineering degree vs a U of Virginia. That's ridiculous.

Just for the record, the last US News and World Top College Report had UD in the National Public University category. They were tied for 29th. That ranking is not too shabby considering that it includes schools like UVA, Cal-Berkley, Georgia Tech, Michigan, etc.

Just for the record, the last US News and World Top College Report had UD in the National Public University category. They were tied for 29th. That ranking is not too shabby considering that it includes schools like UVA, Cal-Berkley, Georgia Tech, Michigan, etc.

Current rankings

UVA 26
Michigan 29
Georgia Tech 36
UD tied for 75th

Sorry but that is not close. If you think an employer doesn't consider an engineering degree from UVA (esp for an out of state student) superior to that of UD then that bodes well for the UD student.

Current rankings

UVA 26
Michigan 29
Georgia Tech 36
UD tied for 75th

Sorry but that is not close. If you think an employer doesn't consider an engineering degree from UVA (esp for an out of state student) superior to that of UD then that bodes well for the UD student.

Towel Boy; go back and look at the definition. What you are looking at are "National" Universities. They include private schools like the Ivies, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, MIT, Cal Tech, etc. National "Public" is just that. Private schools can have far more stringent admission requirements than Publics whose primary mission is to educate the citizens of its state.. I doubt you will ever see Del State or Wilmington University in either classification.

My point was that UD struggles in basketball because the University has not changed its focus since the days of Johnson the former AD. Football is primary Bball is whatever. Academic standards has nothing to do with it as one poster suggested.

Reactions: jvm3
Towel Boy; go back and look at the definition. What you are looking at are "National" Universities. They include private schools like the Ivies, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, MIT, Cal Tech, etc. National "Public" is just that. Private schools can have far more stringent admission requirements than Publics whose primary mission is to educate the citizens of its state.. I doubt you will ever see Del State or Wilmington University in either classification.

Good point. That makes it even worse. Only 29th in public universities and all those private universities ahead of it. Back to the weight room for you.

Lawd people the point out of all of this is I had a few months back with an assistant coach of at UD. And the conversation went into how the coaching staff would love to have some of the players that are coming up in the state of Delaware. The problem that the assistant coach state was that " they cant touch some of the kids that are extremely talented in mostly of the public and some private schools because there grades in high school, and the course work because the school was borderline ivy league" most of the kids that are tatnall, tower hill, Sanford, ursuline, Padua, sallies, and caravel would fit the criteria based on the academic standards that they for in there students. Now some of you are right. the football doesn't seem to struggle with getting athletes. but they have a history behind them as well. the basketball team is not so fortunate. I personally think no school should lower there standards in order to have success in there athletic program. Now on the flip side there are some institutions that do all kinds of things to get those athletes in and then keep them afloat during the years they are there in order to keep there program in the top ranks of both basketball and football... the Syracuse coach just got his wins back because they couldn't catch him for academic fraud. I'm not saying he did it or didn't do it or knew about it. but understand these guys are getting great athletes and some them are coming from not so great schools with not so great academics behind them. the good and bad of it is that UD is not one of those institutions that will allow those type of player or have that cloud around them. or maybe there that good at not being caught. I hear duke is another. and that's why Jalen rose stated he hated the duke team because he didn't fit the criteria of a duke student. but he did go to Michigan.. that being said. there is a certain kid that stan would have to get every year in order to compete. its not a hard task but there are other high quality school that would probably get those kids before UD. And for a stated that wants to have success it will be hard find those quality kids to come to UD. hence why Monte Im hearing is on his way out if it hasn't happened already...

Reactions: jvm3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT