ADVERTISEMENT

Ok folks, only 3wks left in the season, Who's the best player in the state?

Mallory - Polytech
Burnett - Mt Pleasant
Turner - Moyer

If I had to pick one, based upon the one game I've seen of each this season, Burnett had the best individual performance that I've seen in their win over Newark. He took over that game in the 4Q, even had a steal at the end to seal the deal.

This post was edited on 2/6 11:08 AM by 8yaz

Mallory - Polytech

Gray - Polytech (nobody has mentioned him but the few times that I've seen Polytech this year he has had a solid impact on the game on both ends of the floor whether it is getting to the basket for easy buckets usually dunks, rebounding well, helping w/ ball-handling duties & seems like he takes pride in blocking shots & altering plenty more...it seemed like Smyrna was literally scared to put the ball up in the paint last night)

Bonner - St. Andrew's

I only saw Bonner once vs Smyrna this year but hadn't seen him in 2 years since he was a sophomore...he didn't have much help at all w/ Stephens & Kent out of the game vs Smyrna but I was surprised by how far his game had came along & how much more athletic/strong he is now. He was great size for a D1 shooting guard & actually played the 1-5 on this night, he played inside & out, probably led his team in every statistical category, played tough defense all night diving on the floor for loose balls even though they were down 15-20 points. There was a scout at this game taking all types of notes & I'm not for sure who he was there to see but he was dressed in a black sweatsuit w/ the yellow "O" & only Oregon came to mind but I hadn't heard about any recruiting on him so wasn't sure. Anyone have any info on Bonner's recruiting or offers?

FYI...I don't have any upstate players on my list because I haven't actually seen any upstate teams play "this year" as of yet but Dixon & Divincenzo are the two ahead of the pack obviously.

This post was edited on 2/6 1:18 PM by J12

This post was edited on 2/6 1:20 PM by J12

any multi purpose guys?

a guy that does a little of everything, it seems only the scorers get attention....

for example:

Seiquan Kearney (Mount) may not ever be the most talented player on the floor, but is a stat sheet stuffer, a double threat every night, will out hustle just about anyone

Malik Curry (Howard) and Jakir Stewart (Howard) are other stat stuffers that come to mind

Ennis has been playing out of this world Mallory as well along with Donte they are the top 3 players in this state then Dixon Cale Money and Allen from what I've seen this year

I'm really wondering where Donte will play at Nova. The kid has size and can score. He ain't the greatest ball handler (probably because the Sals do not have a lock down point guard this year). He doesn't shoot free throws well either. I think with college level coaching he fill find his place at shooting guard. He has very good passing skills that will help him reach that level.

Donte is elite because of his IQ and athleticism, and he can shoot the ball. His turnover numbers come from his lack of help. He has to do EVERYTHING this year. So he tries to create for his teammates and equally get himself involved. But you clearly can see he's the best player in the gym night in and night out

Its Donte by far!!!...second place is not even close. I've seen him play vs major D1 talents on multiple occasions and he stood out. Evaluating him against DE teams playing on Sals is not fair. Yes he has a lot of unforced turnovers, mostly in the 4Q. When the coach changes to a small lineup with no other scorers on the floor and expects Donte to 'do it all, by himself' your going to see that. If Sals ran offensive sets that shared the ball he would shine even brighter. Its actually sad to see Donte do spetacular things, stuff that no one else can do in this state. with no fan fair..
He is truley an Outlier!

Lets go back to the year Juwan Carter won the chip at Tatnall. He didn't have a lot of talent but he willed his team to win. He trusted the guys he had to produce when he put them in situations where they had to produce. Juwan play against top level talent during AAU season as well but put on for Tatnall during the season too. We're making excuses for Donte for not having talent around him and Juwan Carter didn't either.

Originally posted by realdealhoops:
Lets go back to the year Juwan Carter won the chip at Tatnall. He didn't have a lot of talent but he willed his team to win. He trusted the guys he had to produce when he put them in situations where they had to produce. Juwan play against top level talent during AAU season as well but put on for Tatnall during the season too. We're making excuses for Donte for not having talent around him and Juwan Carter didn't either.
Carter had DJ Boney and Justin Perillo on that team. Boney played basketball for UD with Juwan and Perillo played tight end for Maine. I think Perillo had an older bother that played too.

True oldtimer22 but without Juwan they don't win the title. I bet if we did efficiency rating we would all have a different opinion about player of the year. I would like to know the true qualifications for POY? Not just a popularity contest.

It's obvious that Brian Oneil is long gone, but Salesianum does have other talent beside Divincenzo, they may not be All State level talent, but he isn't out there alone.

Donte Divincenzo is the best (most talented) player in the state, but he hasn't had the best season among the contenders for POY, I believe he'll get Gatorade POY but not DIAA.

Originally posted by realdealhoops:
True oldtimer22 but without Juwan they don't win the title. I bet if we did efficiency rating we would all have a different opinion about player of the year. I would like to know the true qualifications for POY? Not just a popularity contest.
So without Kahlid Hart Sanford does not win the title. Tatnall had a way better supporting cast that year then Donte has this year. Teams are working to just stop him.

Originally posted by EducatedEye:

Donte Divincenzo is the best (most talented) player in the state, but he hasn't had the best season among the contenders for POY
As I stated on this board before the season started, as long as Donte didn't get injured or just completely crap the bed this season (obviously he hasn't), he would win POY. Other players that have been mentioned have had better seasons, but the award will go to Donte.

Donte doesn't has no where as much help as Jawan Carter did in 2005....Keep in mind w/ there schedule only Sanford & Poly could possibly compete w/ the teams they lost too!!! POY isn't the best player on the best team because if that's the case a few players would of never had that award...Mikey, Burnett & Mallory are next but if you put either of them in Dontes place I'm pretty sure Sallies wouldn't be top a 10 team!!!!

@coach quil... I don't know with out Burnett on the floor I give mount pleasant 7 wins and I'm being generous. He got in foul trouble in the 2nd Q against Howard and mtp went down by 20 points in 4 min they looked lost... He got back in the game and dominated
offensively defensively and rebounding he makes everyone around him better

Anyone that has seen donte in person this season understands he's the best player in the state. Its not a conversation really. Athletically, skill set, and IQ. The kid is a beast. Might not be the most efficient this season but with the turnovers he still stands tall and is easily superior. And im a downstate guy btw.

8yaz you are right. Donte was crowned before he played one game this season. Oh well. I think we're use to it now. Popularity rules but their are definitely other players that deserve the honor as well.

Well for any downstate fans that have not seen him then you might as well come out to Smyrna Friday night as Sallies will face a very scrappy Smyrna team. I have not seen him this year and am curious to see how he does versus a hungry Smyrna squad. Anyone know if Smyrna's Kpana has returned to the lineup?

J12 I'll be there even though I've seen Donte but I'll get to see Smyrna as I've heard they are a scrappy bunch.

I guess we can chalk the Sallies-Smyrna game up scheduled for tomorrow/Friday night since all of the schools down this way are being closed because of the "extremely cold temperatures"...now only if Governor Jack Markell would decide that it is going to be too cold for me to come to work then I'd be OK.

It's a shame that the knuckleheads in the stands caused this game to be stopped early w/ 2+ mins left in the 2nd qtr Dover was up 23-13.

On another note Idk how true it is but I was told that even though Smyrna is closed tomorrow they will still have their after school activities so the game could possibly be on vs Sallies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT