ADVERTISEMENT

OT: St Frances days may be numbered

Wouldn't say I know him personally but have talked to him on occasions but that was just in a football manor and about our Harco Horns players and Gilman etc.. I have friends in Maryland who know him well though and yes he is very charitable and a good guy but does have a big ego as well and can be very hard headed by hard headed I meant as a football coach and resisting change. He ran that same played out offense at Gilman for years even when his other coaches begged him to change but anyway. Back then he was very much against his players going to Rivals etc..camps, combines and wouldn't give Rivals and those type of player rating services the time of day or access to his players. He spoke out about the changing climate and rating HS kids and early offers being bad for the kids and HS sports on many occasions Thats how I knew him back then but that was before he went on his conquest to win a MNC and will spend and do anything to get it which is obvious.

I didn't watch the E:60 piece itself but read the article. Its pretty one sided and went as I thought it would. I have no problem with Biff or anyone who wants to help kids even if its just through football. I do think if you are going to spend and recruit like they do then they should be independent of a league and no team should be forced to play them nor should they be crying foul and calling other programs out as cowards or racists. This did not just come out of nowhere the other MIAA coaches and programs were talking about not playing St Frances going back 3 years now they just never could get the all the AD's to go along until now. There were multiple complaints and league violations going back 5 years brought against St Frances to the MIAA but MIAA just turned the other way and did nothing so the AD's took the ball in their own hands. Just because rules weren't enforced it doesn't mean they were not broken and I know for a fact they were and which ones and so does just about everyone involved with the MIAA.

Sure MIAA teams have pushed the envelope of those rules as well but not anywhere near to the extent St Frances has. I think SFA with Biff and his money and power to sway the press felt that they were untouchable and could do whatever they wanted. Of course under the mantra of saving inner city kids. I also take exception to making him out to be all about the inner city kids and what not. Sure he helps many and sure he should be applauded but so should many great coaches all across this country helping kids in the same situations with out stacking their teams grossly in their favor and spending 2 million a year to have some mythical national ranking . Any coach worth a grain of salt that has been doing it awhile can rattle off names of kids they took from the gutter or horrible situations and helped get them to college and a better life . It's not a new phenomenon lol Anyway for whatever its worth ,which is probably zilch, thats the way I see it..

Last edited:
Reactions: prepfootballstars
Current SFA schedule

08/17 @Good Counsel (11am scrimmage game)
08/24 Doral Academy (FL) home (FL kick-off classic scrim game)

08/31 St Joes Prep (PA) home @ U of MD
09/07 Christ the King (NY) home
open
open
09/28 Life Christian Academy (VA) home..first year program
10/05 Clarkson Football North (Canada) home
open
10/19 @St Thomas Moore (CT) @ Trinity College
10/26 St Josephs High (Canada) home
11/02 Silver Oak (md) home
11/09 COF Academy (OH) new school and team
11/19 West Toronto Prep (Canada) home

09/21 Smyrna???? lol just saying the date is still open

Wouldn't say I know him personally but have talked to him on occasions but that was just in a football manor and about our Harco Horns players and Gilman etc.. I have friends in Maryland who know him well though and yes he is very charitable and a good guy but does have a big ego as well and can be very hard headed by hard headed I meant as a football coach and resisting change. He ran that same played out offense at Gilman for years even when his other coaches begged him to change but anyway. Back then he was very much against his players going to Rivals etc..camps, combines and wouldn't give Rivals and those type of player rating services the time of day or access to his players. He spoke out about the changing climate and rating HS kids and early offers being bad for the kids and HS sports on many occasions Thats how I knew him back then but that was before he went on his conquest to win a MNC and will spend and do anything to get it which is obvious.

I didn't watch the E:60 piece itself but read the article. Its pretty one sided and went as I thought it would. I have no problem with Biff or anyone who wants to help kids even if its just through football. I do think if you are going to spend and recruit like they do then they should be independent of a league and no team should be forced to play them nor should they be crying foul and calling other programs out as cowards or racists. This did not just come out of nowhere the other MIAA coaches and programs were talking about not playing St Frances going back 3 years now they just never could get the all the AD's to go along until now. There were multiple complaints and league violations going back 5 years brought against St Frances to the MIAA but MIAA just turned the other way and did nothing so the AD's took the ball in their own hands. Just because rules weren't enforced it doesn't mean they were not broken and I know for a fact they were and which ones and so does just about everyone involved with the MIAA.

Sure MIAA teams have pushed the envelope of those rules as well but not anywhere near to the extent St Frances has. I think SFA with Biff and his money and power to sway the press felt that they were untouchable and could do whatever they wanted. Of course under the mantra of saving inner city kids. I also take exception to making him out to be all about the inner city kids and what not. Sure he helps many and sure he should be applauded but so should many great coaches all across this country helping kids in the same situations with out stacking their teams grossly in their favor and spending 2 million a year to have some mythical national ranking . Any coach worth a grain of salt that has been doing it awhile can rattle off names of kids they took from the gutter or horrible situations and helped get them to college and a better life . It's not a new phenomenon lol Anyway for whatever its worth ,which is probably zilch, thats the way I see it..

Never met him personally but I did not like his comment about god preparing him all his life for this moment. To be the head coach of St Frances like really dude?

Reactions: ravensrooster2
The game against St Thomas Moore should be good. St Frances will not be able to block Lamar Goods he will end up being the best defensive line prospect of the 2020 class. He was bit of a sleeper 4 star rating came late he is from Canada. Absolute beast

Last edited:
Reactions: onejeron
SFA is just desperately trying to put any kind of schedule together at this point..although I don't think them playing Silver Oak is much of a game.. SFA JV would beat them 60+ to 0.. Silver Oak has played real good teams in the past and those games were all stopped at half time

Caravel has played Silver Oak for the last 5 years.. Pretty much a cake win for them going 5-0 in that stretch most the time back ups in after the half

30-0
38-0
35-0
17-6
42-0

To become the type of team SFA built themselves into you have to play a national schedule. Does SFA have the financial backing to do that?

The game against St Thomas Moore should be good. St Frances will not be able to block Lamar Goods he will end up being the best defensive line prospect of the 2020 class. He was bit of a sleeper 4 star rating came late he is from Canada. Absolute beast

Good motor. Good get off. Looks like could be a solid 3 tech or End in odd front. Pad level will get better over time but that grey team didn't want any piece of the kid....LOL

To become the type of team SFA built themselves into you have to play a national schedule. Does SFA have the financial backing to do that?

SFA doesn't but Biff Poggi does for as long as he wants to fund it.. Without Poggi SFA couldn't even fund a football team at all

MIAA awards St. Frances 2018 A Conference football title; no teams will have to forfeit

Baltimore Sun-Aug 11, 2018
St. Frances football has been declared the 2018 Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference champion, there will be no playoffs ...

This also means the other MIAA teams are free to replace the SFA game on their schedule.. they were told not to until a ruling was made.. also means SFA is now free to schedule the Calvert Hall date 09/21 Smyrna? Smyrna v Calvert Hall would be a good game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
lemme stir this up lol

Hey Smyrna fans 8102 Lassalle Rd, Baltimore MD 09/21?

CH20.jpg

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
I know two things for sure. 1. Smyrna coaches have Coach Davis's contact info because I gave it to them last year when they were looking. 2. Coach Marks has a history with Coach Davis and Calvert Hall from when he was at Red Lion and they played them a couple of times.

So it is very possible this game is in the works but I have no other knowledge of it being so.. just a hunch or maybe hope lol

UPDATED. Doral (FL) kick-off classic off the table

Current SFA schedule

08/23 (Thurs) Middletown (DE) home (6pm scrimmage game)

open
open
open

Last edited:
Not sure about COF Academy but Life Christian Academy is expected to be pretty good. A lot of talent from all over transferring in.

Report out of Maryland

checking in from the Good Counsel vs St Frances Academy scrimmage. Not even comparable. 20-0 at the half for SFA. Not sure GC even had net positive yardage. I heard a lot of talk about GC's offensive. line, how big they were.......big yes, good, well at this point, NO. They can not stop the penetration of SFA's defense.

RB's have no holes, QB has no time. GC OL is big.......SFA's is about as big and better and they are 3-4 deep and BIG at all OL positions.

GC is small up front defensively. Bangda runs like a grown man. Courum can get wide or pick and choose his holes to run thru. The QB is throwing the ball well. SFA looks very good at this point.

Going to be a long season for that COF team with their schedule.. They lost 35-0 to Football North (Canada)

Current SFA schedule. SFA adds another Canadian team.

08/23 (Thurs) Middletown (DE) Dunbar HS (6pm scrimmage game)

open
open
10/12 Canada Prep Football Academy(Canada) home

** Calvert Hall (Md) already had Concordia Prep (MIAA C) in the wings to replace SFA. So no Smyrna** Weak game for The Hall but is what it is

Word coming out of Baltimore is that SFA has been informed they have been found guilty of recruiting violations. This should get real interesting especially if they get stripped of their MIAA affiliation. I haven't got a firm confirmation from my MIAA friends but thoughts are they will not be crowned MIAA Champs and be out or maybe probation who knows.. stay tuned

Always interested. Any idea on the actual charges or examples of incidences? I am always intrigued by people

Poaching and/or attempts this week alone

Franklins QB
Roosevelts QB
Howards RB

I am guessing one or more of them blew the whistle and provided instant messages and/or texts as proof. Well as you know once the damn breaks the river flows.

The QB's I get they didn't have one and needed one but the RB? damn how many RB's do they need lol

Poaching and/or attempts this week alone

Franklins QB
Roosevelts QB
Howards RB

I am guessing one or more of them blew the whistle and provided instant messages and/or texts as proof. Well as you know once the damn breaks the river flows.

The QB's I get they didn't have one and needed one but the RB? damn how many RB's do they need lol

Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction

It never ceases to amaze me.

so is a “God Complex”. I have to wonder if Poggi ever scratches that itch and gets his mythical national championship will he continue to pump millions into the program? And for how long? What happens to the almost defunct school then? Do they try and go back to the original mission of the school and ask the Archdiocese of Baltimore for help?

Last edited:
Always interested. Any idea on the actual charges or examples of incidences? I am always intrigued by people

Shine this was posted earlier in the thread but will post again as an example of incidences and charges

Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 4:55 PM
To: 'leedove@miaasports.net' <leedove@miaasports.net>
Subject: RE: Saint Francis problem

I'm writing this email because I would like to shed some light on some of the actions of the Saint Francis football coaching staff and affiliates. Though this program has recruited my student athletes in the past, they have recently increased the intensity of their misconduct. Two football seasons ago they began recruiting one of my players who had just completed a very good sophomore season. They were constantly calling his cell phone and calling home to the parents. They even asked about other players who may be interested in transferring. They eventually contacted 2 other Mervo student athletes in 2017 about the possibility of them transferring. After a lot of meetings with the kids and their parents all of my student athletes decided to stay at Mervo. That didn’t stop them from constantly contacting their parents, their mentors etc.

Though I have no facts on this other situation, I wanted to let you know my thoughts. While I was away on vacation, I got a phone call from my assistant principal stating that a man was at Mervo trying to get the transcripts of those same student athletes who were being recruited to transfer to Saint Francis. When the gentleman was asked who he was, he stated that he was a friend but wouldn’t give his name. My assistant principal thought it was strange and so she called to inform me of what happened. My guess is that it was an affiliate of Saint Francis. That person never came back nor did the kids ever ask for their transcripts.

Throughout this entire past season, the coaches from Saint Francis continued to contact my now junior WR/FS that they wanted a year ago. Telling him that he wouldn’t go to college if he stayed at Mervo and that they promise him a full college scholarship if he came to Saint Francis. Once again the same kid entertained going to Saint Francis. He was practicing with the team even though he was still enrolled at Mervo. They gave him a Saint Francis sweat suit even though he wasn’t enrolled. They even had a coach come pick him up at our school to take him to workouts while still attending Mervo.Just like the year before, the same kid eventually decided to stay at Mervo and not transfer. Unfortunately, prior to that kid ultimately deciding to stay, he gave one of my other top players phone number to one of the Saint Francis coaches. This kid showed me all of the phone attempts and text messages placed by the Saint Francis coach/ affiliate. In these text messages, he asked him if he wants to come to Saint Francis so that he could get “SEC, NFL, MONEY”. I find that these empty promises and unethical tactics to be disgusting. Yesterday, the same coach messaged my kid by saying tell your coach to contact the University of Florida. “They are down here looking for you.” I know very well that this is a bold face lie! This is just another tactic to make the student athlete believe that he is in the wrong place if he wants to get recruited. I’ve had a conversation with one of the Saint Francis coaches about all of the crazy tactics. He told me that we (public schools) should be calling Saint Francis to recommend our kids to them if we really wanted what’s best for the kid. I’m not sure what the rules or values that the MIAA has but something needs to be done about how this program is handling business. I have dedicated my life to the youth of Baltimore City. It’s a shame that another school located in the same City has made my fight even tougher. I appreciate the time spent reading this letter. I hope that I have provided you with a little more insight on some of the things that Saint Francis is doing. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Patrick Nixon

Mergenthaler High school

Athletic director/ head football coach

MIAA also has this as an text from a SFA coach to a parent of a player (QB) already enrolled in another MIAA school. The parent obviously took exception and turned the text over to the MIAA

"we did 7-7 at WVU this past weekend. We have the best set of WR's in America. Jermaine Lewis is a beast. Yall paying a ton of money for tuition and taking football trips. At SFA, our kids dont have those expenses..... why fly to Michigan and Bama.....when they come to us..."

MIAA scared of Poggi and his money.. lol slap the old wrist. SFA needs that paper championship to be eligible for ESPN games at the end of year

St. Frances Academy Reprimanded By MIAA For Recruiting Violation

SEPTEMBER 04, 2018 - 5:57 PM

CATEGORIES: Sports News
By 105.7 the Fan Staff

105.7 the Fan has learned that St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, MD) has been issued a fine of $500 for violation of Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association Conference (MIAA) rules.

A letter of ”reprimand and notice of penalty” was issued on August 28, 2018. The letter, obtained by 105.7 The Fan, states that members of St. Frances’ football coaching staff were in “violation of illegal contact with a student athlete at another member team.” The letter also states the violation has been verified by the MIAA.

St. Frances Academy Football
105.7 the Fan
Per the letter sent from MIAA executive director Lee Dove to St. Frances athletic director Nicholas Myles, “if a school is found to have violated any MIAA rules or by-laws they could be subject to a penalty of $500 and/or disqualification of their team from competing in the MIAA playoffs or championship.”

“In this particular case, championship eligibility will not be in jeopardy. However, a fine of $500 has been implemented.”

“SFA coaches don’t seem to learn. They continue to burn bridges with their pompous chest beating. If a team doesn’t adjust their schedule to try iand squeeze in a game with SFA then SFA is all over social media attacking them that they are scared, etc, etc. latest insults are aimed at SJC. This is why nobody wants to schedule and play them. They are the most dishonest and arrogant group I’ve ever seen in high school.”

End quote but I agree. They have been busted as cheats Dematha and IMG even dropped them. No one wants what they are selling.

Last edited:
Reactions: prepfootballstars
SFA woes continue.. This weeks game vs Lee FL cancelled.. SFA was bus riding down there and had to cancel due to FLO and part of I-95 being closed.. Detour would have added 6 hrs to trip or so.

SFA has only played 4 Qtrs.. vs St Joe Prep came called at half lightning ruled no contest and game called at half vs some NY team and NY team agreed they could have the win.. So they will be 1-0 going into next week

Last edited:
also that COF game on their schedule may not happen

The Church they said was funding them 4 point some million and whose address they used as the school address is now denying any affiliation with COF.. What a farce that has become.. Those kids haven't even started school yet because there isn't one. These guys need to be criminally charged. St Edward OH just dropped them for this weeks game and I am sure OHSAA will revoke their charter which they got falsely.. OH and they are 0-5 getting blown out every game and a half hour late to 2 of them

http://www.thisweekn...ith-cof-academy

"The organization that supposedly funded Columbus’ Christians of Faith Academy now says it never has had any affiliation with the upstart school or its football program."

In early online postings, COF Academy even used 112 Jefferson Ave., the address of the Third Episcopal District Headquarters, the local branch of the AME Church. That same address was used in the school’s application to the Ohio Department of Education, according to documents acquired by ThisWeek.

In a statement on its website, however, the Third Episcopal District of the AME Church denies “any affiliation” with COF Academy or the Richard Allen Group, and accuses COF Academy of “seeking donations” and contacting people about “life insurance” under the AME Church’s name.

“If persons come to you seeking donations to COF, please understand that the Third District has not authorized or condoned any person or entity to seek any donations in the name or authority of the Third District,” the statement reads. “If it is your desire to make a donation do so of your own free will with full knowledge that the Third District is not involved in any manner with either the COF or RAG or any of their activities.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT