ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Picture

Gotta say, points for playing a 5-5 team is stupid. How about only if you beat them? On another note, some say certain teams schedule softer opponents to jack up their standings. I concede it is hard not to agree in some respects. But no one seems to be giving Archmere/Howard crap for scheduling a higher division team that is lousy (Archmere/CR and Howard/Hodgson respectively). Automatic points for just playing up + the win points. Easy pickn's right there. Some teams do not get that opportunity, and if they did, they would get called out on it. Point system needs fix'n.

Gotta say, points for playing a 5-5 team is stupid. How about only if you beat them? On another note, some say certain teams schedule softer opponents to jack up their standings. I concede it is hard not to agree in some respects. But no one seems to be giving Archmere/Howard crap for scheduling a higher division team that is lousy (Archmere/CR and Howard/Hodgson respectively). Automatic points for just playing up + the win points. Easy pickn's right there. Some teams do not get that opportunity, and if they did, they would get called out on it. Point system needs fix'n.
Howard has been playing HVT for years and they played them when they were good and bad and Archmere signed the contract to play CR after they went 5-2 two years ago, Hard to foresee how a team is going to be from year to year

This is way more confusing that what it used to be. I remember being able to do the points with ease. Someone want to explain how the playoff format is set up now? Mainly 2A because they have the most teams.

2A
Top 4 from each district qualify. Qualification is based on District games only.
The 3 district winners are seeded 1,2,3 based on point index.
Top 4 seeds receive a first round bye.

Reactions: Woody_Wood
Bro… Friends picked up a fake team mid season just to play a half of football. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: BackinBlack86
FYI That fake team Friends picked up, might end up costing them the #1 seed in playoffs. Brings their points total down

FYI That fake team Friends picked up, might end up costing them the #1 seed in playoffs. Brings their points total down
How you figure? If they don't count as a legit high school team played. Friends would just divide points by 9 instead of 10 for the index. Which is where they would have been anyway.

How you figure? If they don't count as a legit high school team played. Friends would just divide points by 9 instead of 10 for the index. Which is where they would have been anyway.
Friends gets 4points for Mt Zion win but i don’t think any bonus points, their index will be over 4.0 so any win you add to them that doesn’t contain any bonus points brings their index down. Doesn’t really matter because it is only the difference between 1st and 2nd seed. but still, picking up the 10th game and getting 4pts with no bonus points brings their index down. They would have a higher index if they never scheduled that game even though they won it.

Friends gets 4points for Mt Zion win but i don’t think any bonus points, their index will be over 4.0 so any win you add to them that doesn’t contain any bonus points brings their index down. Doesn’t really matter because it is only the difference between 1st and 2nd seed. but still, picking up the 10th game and getting 4pts with no bonus points brings their index down. They would have a higher index if they never scheduled that game even though they won it.
Friends can’t play at home in the playoffs anyway

I see what you saying now. 36 by 9 is 4.0 and 40 by 10 is 4.0. But whatever bonus points they have would have been better div by 9 rather than 10 for the index. Got it. They may still be able to divide by 9 if that team doesn't qualify as playing a sanctioned high school team. Would be basically considered an exhibition game for no points or record

I see what you saying now. 36 by 9 is 4.0 and 40 by 10 is 4.0. But whatever bonus points they have would have been better div by 9 rather than 10 for the index. Got it. They may still be able to divide by 9 if that team doesn't qualify as playing a sanctioned high school team. Would be basically considered an exhibition game for no points or record
That would be interesting how DIAA handles that situation.

Now BIB I have a question, I’ve asked Marty from the podcast this already. The rule says a teams first TEN regular season games counts towards playoff points. Now, an out of state team has played 9 regular season games and their 10th game was a playoff game. Will DIAA count the playoff game as a 10th game played? I do recall them doing it before for a team I just forget what team it was. Any intel on if they will count it or no?

I get the math may have better for Friends not playing but unfortunately it was homecoming and they were going to find someone to play. And not for nothing but MZP is a real team with real players and a jack...for a coach. They beat someone down Baltimore way and played two for real teams kind of close. McDonough scheduled them and they are for real as well. Just understand that if wasn't homecoming they may not have scheduled anyone.

That would be interesting how DIAA handles that situation.

Now BIB I have a question, I’ve asked Marty from the podcast this already. The rule says a teams first TEN regular season games counts towards playoff points. Now, an out of state team has played 9 regular season games and their 10th game was a playoff game. Will DIAA count the playoff game as a 10th game played? I do recall them doing it before for a team I just forget what team it was. Any intel on if they will count it or no?

I believe they counted the first playoff games when Maryland first went to a 9 game schedule a few years back. I don't know if they added specific language to rules to say only regular season games count. I will have to look. Before it just said first 10 games and didn't specify reg season games or not

Reactions: MTownCavs09
It still does not specify. Just says based off teams final record and nothing counts after Nov 12th for OOS strength of schedule bonus points. Does not specify final regular season record.

The part about regular season is under eligible teams for the tournament. ie..for Delaware teams to qualify for the show.

I get the math may have better for Friends not playing but unfortunately it was homecoming and they were going to find someone to play. And not for nothing but MZP is a real team with real players and a jack...for a coach. They beat someone down Baltimore way and played two for real teams kind of close. McDonough scheduled them and they are for real as well. Just understand that if wasn't homecoming they may not have scheduled anyone.
MIAA teams can play anyone they want even post grad Preps, academy teams, home school teams or Canadian academies. They could play a JUCO if they wanted. The only games that count for MIAA teams as far as playoffs for them are games against other MIAA teams in their conference

Mt Zion has no one on their schedule that has to play sanctioned high school teams. In fact they had 2 or 3 teams that had to cancel playing them because their association wouldn't sanction the game. It's why they had a game open to take the Friends game,. They aren't sanctioned by anyone and aren't even on the MPSSAA approved to play list. Hell even ECA was able to get on that list. Just saying. No big deal Friends can play who they want

Last edited:
Haven’t been able to get an answer from the FB committee regarding the 10 game. Language is so ambiguous, most likely purposefully.

Reactions: MTownCavs09
i agree with you, they needed a game and got it, it doesn’t really effect them because DIAA doesn’t give them home games in the playoffs

Reactions: BackinBlack86
ok lets dig into this

The three teams for two at large spots based on point index

%William Penn 1-3 (2-6) @CR, @St Georges
%St Georges 1-3 (2-6) @Cape, WPenn
%Cape 1-2 (4-4) St Georges, @Smyrna

Uncommon opponents

WP- Penn Wood (1-9)
STG- Smyrna (7-1)

Cape- Woodbridge (2-6), Smyrna (7-1), Delmar (4-4)
WP- Penn Wood (1-9), Middletown (4-4), HVT (1-7)

Cape- Woodbridge (2-6), Delmar (4-4)
STG- Middletown (4-4), HVT (1-7)

SO

No way Cape doesn't get in even if they lose last 2

If STG and WP end up tied in wins then STG will get in on BP's from Smyrna

The only way the week 10 game STG vs WP is not for a playoff spot is if CR beats WP and STG beats Cape this week. Then STG could lose to WP and will still out index them.

The only way the week 10 game STG vs WP is not for a playoff spot is if CR beats WP and STG beats Cape this week. Then STG could lose to WP and will still out index them.

yeah this happened... 😕

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT