ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Predictions?

Mar 7, 2017
WIth only a few games left in season, Anybody have any opinions on what the seeding will be like for Playoffs?
Any sleeper teams with one good pitcher that could upset a high seed?
Overrated teams?

no need to speculate at this point. Just wait to see who gets in and the matchups. I think the question will be which of the 9-24 seeds have enough confidence to keep their ace in waiting to the 2nd round.

Right now I think there's probably about 6-7 teams that could win it all on any given day. Cape, Caravel, St Marks, Hodgson, Appo, Middletown, Wm Penn are all top contenders. Gonna be some heavyweight quarterfinals matchups.

Caravel and St Marks will probably play for the championship.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Really Exciting Baseball Season. Many teams playing well. But William Penn has been my team out of know were. Dooley has them boys playing DE-SUSSEX well. Possible Coach of the Year. No one had them in any Pre-season poll. They have some really good young players. But as De-Sussex said its wide open. But I have to say Cape is Deep. I am looking forward to the play-offs

Cape has to be the favorite entering the playoffs. By far the most complete team I’ve seen in years. Everyone in their lineup is legit.

no need to speculate at this point. Just wait to see who gets in and the matchups. I think the question will be which of the 9-24 seeds have enough confidence to keep their ace in waiting to the 2nd round.

Right now I think there's probably about 6-7 teams that could win it all on any given day. Cape, Caravel, St Marks, Hodgson, Appo, Middletown, Wm Penn are all top contenders. Gonna be some heavyweight quarterfinals matchups.
I Think it's gonna come down to Cape St. Mark's and Caravel The rest of teams don't have Pitching to win 3 to 4 games

I Think it's gonna come down to Cape St. Mark's and Caravel The rest of teams don't have Pitching to win 3 to 4 games
Cape's pitching is deep
Caravel really only ever throws Silan or Holiday
St. Marks is pretty deep as well, but not as elite as Cape's
Middletown staff seems pretty solid, hold teams to low scoring games
William Penn doesn't look like they have enough pitching for playoffs
....Sallies and CR?
Hodgson and St. Georges staffs both seem one pitcher short
Appo's rotation has been good, but have no one overpowering
Besides Nelson who does Friends have?
Delmarva Christian, Delmar, and Red Lion all have easy schedules so who knows how good there pitching is...
Just my input from the outside...

Cape's pitching is deep
Caravel really only ever throws Silan or Holiday
St. Marks is pretty deep as well, but not as elite as Cape's
Middletown staff seems pretty solid, hold teams to low scoring games
William Penn doesn't look like they have enough pitching for playoffs
....Sallies and CR?
Hodgson and St. Georges staffs both seem one pitcher short
Appo's rotation has been good, but have no one overpowering
Besides Nelson who does Friends have?
Delmarva Christian, Delmar, and Red Lion all have easy schedules so who knows how good there pitching is...
Just my input from the outside...
Everybody saying keep has the best pitching because they got three kids Throwing 90 but the best pitcher in a state right now is from William pen and he Is throwing 80

Teams eliminated so far: Milford, Smyrna, Charter, Delcastle, Lake, First State Military, Sanford, Woodbridge, McKean, Newark, Laurel, MOTCharter, Tatnall, Seaford, DAPPS, Design Lab, St. Thomas More

Must win out to be eligible: Mount Pleasant (3), Sussex Academy (3), Dickinson (3),

Work to do: AI - 2 under .500 with 4 to play, Brandywine .500 with 4 to play, St E. .500 with 2 to play,

Stay the course: Newark Charter & IR both +1 with 3 to play, Tower Hill +2 with 3 to play,

Guaranteed .500 - St. Andrews 9 wins with 3 to play, Glasgow 9 wins with 4 to play.

Those not mentioned are assumed in at this point.

Everybody saying keep has the best pitching because they got three kids Throwing 90 but the best pitcher in a state right now is from William pen and he Is throwing 80
Uhm I dont think either Insley or wilkerson are quite as good as some of these dudes mentioned above, dont get me wrong tho, those William Penn kids are definetly top 30

Uhm I dont think either Insley or wilkerson are quite as good as some of these dudes mentioned above, dont get me wrong tho, those William Penn kids are definetly top 30
They are having better games against the same teams that the other pitchers are throwing against

Teams eliminated so far: Milford, Smyrna, Charter, Delcastle, Lake, First State Military, Sanford, Woodbridge, McKean, Newark, Laurel, MOTCharter, Tatnall, Seaford, DAPPS, Design Lab, St. Thomas More

Must win out to be eligible: Mount Pleasant (3), Sussex Academy (3), Dickinson (3),

Work to do: AI - 2 under .500 with 4 to play, Brandywine .500 with 4 to play, St E. .500 with 2 to play,

Stay the course: Newark Charter & IR both +1 with 3 to play, Tower Hill +2 with 3 to play,

Guaranteed .500 - St. Andrews 9 wins with 3 to play, Glasgow 9 wins with 4 to play.

Those not mentioned are assumed in at this point.

Can't assume Conrad at 9 wins yet, game with RLCA had protest upheld and will be finished this week. Game to resume top of 8th, tied 4-4.

what was the protest?
Balk was called when pitcher stepped to third for a pickoff but didn't throw the ball. That call resulted in the winning run. Home plate umpire said that you can't fake pickoff to third, after consulting with base ump they stood by the call. Protest upheld because NFHS rules state you can fake pickoff to third.

Reactions: Routine5Hole
Sure would love to know what DIAA has in mind for a contingency plan because it definitely looks like monsoon season in the forecast all week long.
Points index already accounts for it. Total points earned divided by games played. Only thing which would be impacted is bonus points. Minimum number of games required is 12 and at this point I think theres only 1 team (sussex academy) with less than that at 11. Teams with fewer games have less opportunities to collect bonus points. If you don't like it then load up your schedule next year earlier in the season and don't take the entire Easter vacation week off from competition. I know some teams go 10 days or more without a game in that stretch.

Reactions: TouchThemAll
Points index already accounts for it. Total points earned divided by games played.

Per the manual on DIAA's site it's Total points earned divided by games scheduled:

4. Team schedules will ‘lock down’ on Wednesday, March 21, 2018. No games can be added after this date. Team index will be determined by the number of games scheduled for the season at that date. IE: If the schedule has eighteen games, the index is based on eighteen games. If the schedule has seventeen games, the index is based on seventeen game. If a game is cancelled on May 21 due to unplayable conditions that are beyond reasonable control, the tournament committee chairperson has to be contacted (Mike Hart-H-998-7390, C-743-5236, W-654-7736). If the game is approved as dropped the team index is based on one less game

Points index already accounts for it. Total points earned divided by games played. Only thing which would be impacted is bonus points. Minimum number of games required is 12 and at this point I think theres only 1 team (sussex academy) with less than that at 11. Teams with fewer games have less opportunities to collect bonus points. If you don't like it then load up your schedule next year earlier in the season and don't take the entire Easter vacation week off from competition. I know some teams go 10 days or more without a game in that stretch.
You only have to play 12 games??? That can't be right. That's only 2/3 of a schedule. In 15 game sports the # is 12.

There are not enough regular season games (18) to have a 20 team playoff. Either reduce the number of playoff teams to 16 or leave the current system in place and play a 20 game season. As a true high school fan, I prefer the latter. I enjoy watching different teams compete. With a short season and expanded playoff, it's the same old, same old... usual suspects playing into the playoffs...

There are not enough regular season games (18) to have a 20 team playoff. Either reduce the number of playoff teams to 16 or leave the current system in place and play a 20 game season. As a true high school fan, I prefer the latter. I enjoy watching different teams compete. With a short season and expanded playoff, it's the same old, same old... usual suspects playing into the playoffs...
that's why i like the 24 teams, give more teams a chance in the playoffs. It will most likely come down to the usual suspects when it hits the semi's but in the past too many teams were going 11-7 or 12-6 and not making it.

Reactions: foshizzle88
What teams do you think are on the border of making it/missing out? What do you think the 18-24 seed range will look like?

I think cut line will be 10-8 with possibly a 9-9 team making it.
IR at 8-7 will make it in with CR, Lake and FSMA remaining.Hopefully, they can clear their heads from that 20-2 drubbing at the hands of Sallies on Saturday. CR has been on a skid of late losing 4 of last 5.
Conrad 8-7 may miss the playoffs. They have Caravel and St. Georges remaining as well as a continuation with Red Lion.
Sussex Tech is in danger of missing it at 9-7 with Dover and Sallies remaining
St Andrews - currently 10-6 with McKean and Tatnall remaining. Will they accept a bid to the tournament this year? with 10 wins, they only have 1 versus a team with a winning record (Tower Hill). They could be one of the weaker teams to make the tournament and could potentially end up with home game.
Newark Charter 8-7 has Smyrna, Dover, and Delcastle remaining.
St Elizabeth 8-8 has Sallies and Mt. Pleasant remaining. St E lost 1-0 to Sals last week. 10-8 not out of the question
Brandywine 7-7 has a favorable schedule remaining - Glasgow, Sussex Academy, Mt. Pleasant, Lake but will have to take on mother nature as well.. 4 games in 6 days...uggh but no quality wins
AI 6-8 also has a favorable schedule - Mt. Pleasant, Tower Hill, Charter, Newark. BUT, 4 games in 6 days as well..also no quality wins.

Reactions: TouchThemAll
Polytech is at 9-7 with S.Central and Archmere left. Lose both of them sitting at 9-9 will be a border team as well.

How much does strength of schedule affect the likelihood of making the tournament? Take a team, such as St. Andrew's with a very high chance of finishing 12-6 against a weaker schedule and compare it to a team with a slightly worse record but better opponents. Who would be more likely to get in, St. Andrew's with a good record, or another team?

How much does strength of schedule affect the likelihood of making the tournament? Take a team, such as St. Andrew's with a very high chance of finishing 12-6 against a weaker schedule and compare it to a team with a slightly worse record but better opponents. Who would be more likely to get in, St. Andrew's with a good record, or another team?

All depends on the bonus points you get , 12 wins is only 36pts so you better have some quality wins in there or like you said another team with fewer wins could get in

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT