ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Pts as of 5/22/17

Other states and teams are getting 20-40 games in during the spring "somehow"...i think we should be able to figure out how to get 18 games in for goodness sakes. Teams need to be a little more proactive as well. Load up on games in the middle of the season...schedule 3 per week. This weekend was decent weather, teams could have looked at this weeks forecast and maybe played on Sunday if possible.

I don't think its necessary to start earlier in the season as some have mentioned because we already have a decent amount of "cold" games. But there should be more games on Saturdays and even Sundays, especially as the weather gets better in April and May. It would encourage upstates and downstates to play on weekends and probably get better attendance as well. (Hint...to raise monies for the program maybe ensure some good eats at the games prepared by parents etc...or maybe a team hosts a mini-tournament...for example Appo hosts Mtown and Smyrna. Battle of MOT. Each team plays the other, so all get two games in. Teams could arrange food/beverages to raise monies for the schools). But back to the schedule...3 games a week should be doable.

So start the season around March 22 every year and end the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. That gives you 8+ weeks of baseball guaranteed and the final WEEK is emergency backup. Here is your 18 game season:

Inaugural weekend (wed Mar 22-Sun Mar26-)...schedule 1 game
Full week 1 (ending Apr 2) - 2 games
Full week 2 (ending Apr 9) - 2 games
Full week 3 (ending Apr 16) - 2 games
Full week 4 (ending Apr 23) - 2 games
Full week 5 (ending Apr 30) - 2 games
Full week 6 (ending May 7) - 3 games (Tues,Thurs,Sat)
Full week 7 (ending May 14) - 2 games
Full week 8 (ending May 21) - 2 games

It doesn't seem that difficult to schedule and play 2 games per week. Even if you want to take spring break off. you might need to play 3 games per week 3 times during the season...god forbid.

I have been saying for years i would love to see the kids play more games by playing 2 times during the week and then on Saturday AT LEAST half the season. So basically play 3 games a week, every other week.

Here is a 21 game season proposal:

Inaugural weekend (wed Mar 22-Sun Mar26-)...schedule 1 game
Full week 1 (ending Apr 2) - 3 games
Full week 2 (ending Apr 9) - 2 games
Full week 3 (ending Apr 16) - 3 games
Full week 4 (ending Apr 23) - 2 games
Full week 5 (ending Apr 30) - 3 games
Full week 6 (ending May 7) - 2 games
Full week 7 (ending May 14) - 3 games
Full week 8 (ending May 21) - 2 games

Makeup games could be the other weeks that you aren't playing 3. And if teams can't or won't schedule that many games, maybe they aren't eligible for the state tourney if they don't play a minimum...like 18 games.

I know there are burdens like transportation and teams that don't have deep enough pitching etc. But honestly if your team lacks depth that badly, you probably arent getting into the tourney and/or going to be competitive in the tourney.
I guess my question is this. Isn't 18 games enough to get the best 8 teams in the tournament? I mean, I get that a whole bunch more teams get in, but when is enough, enough? There is travel ball, legion ball all kinds of other ball. Why can't this just be high school? Why should this extracurricular activity demand such a financial and time consuming undertaking just to have a few more baseball games played?

Reactions: runningman12001
Silly answer but we all love baseball and can't get enough especially when it's played at it's purest form imo

Last edited:
Would someone please spell out to me the tournament set up ? 20 teams are in , right ? Byes ? Play-in games , etc. Forgotten how it all works ..... Thanks guys.

20 teams in. Seeds 13-20 play a game I assume Sat morning to get to 16 teams. 16 play that afternoon/evening to get to 8. Subsequent games Tues, Thur, Sat and it's done.

Reactions: Bucsnot
20 teams in. Seeds 13-20 play a game I assume Sat morning to get to 16 teams. 16 play that afternoon/evening to get to 8. Subsequent games Tues, Thur, Sat and it's done.
13-20 have a play in game (13v20, 14v19, etc.). These games are played on Seeds 1-4 field whom the winner of play in game will play after. 13v20 winner plays Seed 1, etc. Seeds 5-12 play each other on higher seeds field. (5v12, 6v11), etc.

Reactions: Bucsnot
13-20 have a play in game (13v20, 14v19, etc.). These games are played on Seeds 1-4 field whom the winner of play in game will play after. 13v20 winner plays Seed 1, etc. Seeds 5-12 play each other on higher seeds field. (5v12, 6v11), etc.

Seed #1 plays the winner of play in game from #16 vs. #17, #2 plays 15/18, #3 plays 14/19, #4 plays 13/20

Hold your horses DIAA already discussing how to cut even more games . . .
Baseball is challenged to get 18-20 games in, but basketball can? I would think basketball is a higher cost to the school/state solely because its inside - janitorial, security, power etc. After the baseball games the kids clean up after themselves and I've never seen security or the need for it. Run concessions, boosters can sell hoodies and hat, be creative not that hard.

Another Vote for increased game regular season schedule. I'd love to see a game of the week at a bigger neutral site (Frawley, Shorebirds, UD).

Seed #1 plays the winner of play in game from #16 vs. #17, #2 plays 15/18, #3 plays 14/19, #4 plays 13/20
I am assuming the "play-in" game is played at the #1-#4 seeds field at like noon with the next game as 4'ish??

Never understood why UD with their turf field, never hosts games.

And agree on more games. Use more arms. Play double headers in April/May.

Offense will increase and while you will still have your ace vs ace 3-2 games, you might see more back and forth 10-9 games with some good offense. Playing more games also gives more AB's more chance for the hitters to catch up to the pitcher Playing one or two games a week, then seeing a Steckline or Elliott is a lot to ask.

Baseball is challenged to get 18-20 games in, but basketball can? I would think basketball is a higher cost to the school/state solely because its inside - janitorial, security, power etc. After the baseball games the kids clean up after themselves and I've never seen security or the need for it. Run concessions, boosters can sell hoodies and hat, be creative not that hard.
Security, scoreboard operator, and an extra official are the additional cost. Someone posted the same warning on the basketball thread too.

Offense will increase and while you will still have your ace vs ace 3-2 games, you might see more back and forth 10-9 games with some good offense. Playing more games also gives more AB's more chance for the hitters to catch up to the pitcher Playing one or two games a week, then seeing a Steckline or Elliott is a lot to ask.
Have any of you seen the low and mid level baseball teams??? They run out of pitching in one game sometimes... Are teams going to fill the extra games with new teams or double up with competitive teams like Sallies/St Marks do??

Allot of states or counties have gone to pay to play even in the publics. Harford County Md schools I believe its up to $100 per sport per season.. At Caravel for football its $450..

Last edited:

They don't host because of the $$$$$$ to rent

I am assuming the "play-in" game is played at the #1-#4 seeds field at like noon with the next game as 4'ish??
Last season the 13 thru 20 played day before round 1. Which was a Monday at the higher seeds field . Round 2 was Tuesday . Games Monday started at 4 .

Last season the 13 thru 20 played day before round 1. Which was a Monday at the higher seeds field . Round 2 was Tuesday . Games Monday started at 4 .
The schedule was changed last year because of the weather on that Saturday so there was no double header hosted by the Seed #1 to #4 teams.

Allot of states or counties have gone to pay to play even in the publics. Harford County Md schools I believe its up to $100 per sport per season.. At Caravel for football its $450..
That will just be another liberal tax on the middle class parent that are still left in the public schools. Free and reduced lunch kids won't have to pay just like they don't pay for AP test, prom tickets etc...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT