ADVERTISEMENT

Post 2nd Round scores here

Not here to disrepect Archmere because they had an outstanding season. They played a Dover team who seems to be peaking at the right time. However, if Archmere plays any of the Henlopen North teams, St. Marks, or Caravel's schedule they probably lose 5-6 games and are a 7-10 seed instead of a 2 seed.

Delpsufan....i don't think anyone would debate that if Arch played in the henlopen north they would have a tough schedule and possibly lose more games. But i was curious about their schedule for 2014 and came up with a couple of notes of interest.

Coming into the season, Archmere's 2014 schedule had 12 teams on it that had .500 or better records in 2013, 7 of those teams were playoff teams in 2013. All the henlopen north teams had between 11-13 teams on their schedules that had .500 or better records in 2013 and either 7 or 8 of those teams were playoff teams. So, coming into the season Archmere had a similarly tough schedule to play for the year as the Henlopen North teams.

During 2014, Arch played 2 Henlopen teams, beating Poly 4-2 and losing to CR 8-7 (without Deely).

Also, I looked at all playoffs teams and here are their records against other playoff teams during the season:

1 St Marks 10-2
2 Caravel 3-1 (arguably Riverdale & St Joe & Curley would be in our playoffs if they played here)
3 Hodgs 5-3
4 Dover 4-2
5 Arch 4-2
6 CR 4-4
7 Smyrna 4-4
8 Sallies 4-4
9 Mt P 3-2
10 A.I. 3-4
11 Tech 3-4
12 Central 3-5
13 St G 2-4
14 Conrad 1-5
15 Delmar 0-5
16 Th 0-2

So if we used just the criteria of record against other playoff teams for seeding, Arch wouldn't have got the #2, arguably they would have got the #5 seed and played Cental. With Deely pitching i think they beat Central. Ironically Dover would be #4 under this criteria and would have probably beat St Georges. Then #4 Dover would have played #5 Archmere in the second round anyway.

I guess what we see in all this. Archmere had a great season and unfortunately got smacked around against a very good Dover team. They were ranked a little too high based on their schedule, but i think regardless they should have been ranked in the top 8 no matter how you look at it, got the home game and would be favored to win their first game with Deely pitching. The second round was going to be tough regardless. I'm not sure against any of the other top 8 teams, Archmere would have been favored with their #2 pitcher going. Nothing against their #2 pitcher and i'm not saying they couldn't have won, I just wouldn't see them favored.

So congrats Archmere on a great season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT