Hodgson
Lake Forest
Newark
Sals
Smyrna
St. Georges
St. Marks
Tatnall

Nice to see Newark on the list. I hope you know what you are talking about.

Good list. I agree that Newark should be in the tournament this year. I don't think the Diamond State conference will send three teams. I think Archmere is the odd man out. I'll take Central in their place. I don't know anything about Sussex Tech. Are you expecting a drop-off for them?

My list is pretty much based on hunches and guesses. Kinda like when Charlie Manuel used to talk about feeling it in his gut.

Lots of opinions on this thread is what I am hoping for. I am tired of winter and want to talk some baseball.

TTA, I was on the fence with Sussex Tech. My thinking is that their schedule will hurt them in terms of points. Henlopen North and South have Dover, Smyrna, CR and then who knows. I guess Lake Forest can with the South.

The Henlopen conferences will be more competitive than your list suggests, definitely more than 4 teams in the top 15.

Would move Tatnall off the list. Too many games against other Independent teams. Really weak schedule playing Sanford, Tower Hill, Friends and St Andrews 3 times each.

@84Rider Give us some reasons for the Henlopen to have more than 4 teams.

I think Cape and Central have a chance with returning players. Tech lost top 2 pitchers off a very good team.

I know 8YAZ is going to hate to read this but St Marks and Caravel should be the top 2 teams again.

OT22, this is the list of the 16 teams that I think will get into the state tournament, not necessarily the top 16 teams. I think Tatnall will represent the Independent conference.

You could be right about Cape and Central getting in but only if one of the Diamond or Blue Hen conference teams underachieves. Central looks a little better on paper. You can't like how Cape lost final 7 games in a row last year. They could win 10 games but does that get them enough points to get in?

Originally posted by oldtimer22:

I know 8YAZ is going to hate to read this but St Marks and Caravel should be the top 2 teams again.
Darn tootin 8Yaz hates that. Isn't everyone getting tired of seeing the same teams win it year after year? If not Newark, I'll be rooting for any team other than Caravel, Sallies and St Marks, preferably a public school.

@yaz

hard rooting for a winner.....haha
Newark will be lucky to be a .500 team this year...

Originally posted by 8yaz:

Originally posted by oldtimer22:

Darn tootin 8Yaz hates that. Isn't everyone getting tired of seeing the same teams win it year after year? If not Newark, I'll be rooting for any team other than Caravel, Sallies and St Marks, preferably a public school.
Newark has all those Newark American LL kids. Aren't you a Newark National guy?

don't sleep on cape making the playoffs , realize they lost 7 in a row to end the season but blame it on the Hawaii trip they return all starting pitchers but 1 and the core of the 8 seniors have been playing together since 12u plus 2 incoming top freshman arms with big game exp #placeurbets

ur, I guess you can blame it on the trip to HI. But I think you can also point to their 1-6 record against Caravel, Dover, Sals, St. Georges, CR, Smyrna, and St. Marks last year. They are all on Cape's scheduled again this year plus a really good Appo team. I think they can make the playoffs, but they will need to win 3 or 4 of the games against those teams.

Top 20 , ur right we have to beat those teams , 4 of the 7 loses to end the season were 1 run games and of the 16 teams to make the playoffs cape played 10 of them , anyone else do that ?

DE, just my pick of the 16 teams that will make the tournament. Are these teams usually competitive? Yes, most of them are. But there are some teams that made the tournament last year for the first time in a while and some that could get in this year for the first time in a while. I guess you have a differentl list.

Originally posted by urbaseballdaddy:

Top 20 , ur right we have to beat those teams , 4 of the 7 loses to end the season were 1 run games and of the 16 teams to make the playoffs cape played 10 of them , anyone else do that ?
I agree with you, Cape's schedule is really tough. I think only St. Marks had a tougher schedule with 12 games against playoff teams.
This post was edited on 2/20 3:07 PM by TheDETop20

Originally posted by Baseball 102:
Without bilous(surgery) and hart caravel will struggle and may not get the wins they need for playoffs[/I]
Can't wait to hear the responses to this post.

Originally posted by 8yaz:

Without bilous(surgery) and hart caravel will struggle and may not get the wins they need for playoffs[/I]
Can't wait to hear the responses to this post.
Caravel went 18-2 last year and I think Hart and Bilous had 18 wins between them. Only 4 other pitchers getting any innings all in relieve. 2 of the 4 Ellis and Corbitt graduated.

What makes you think that Carney & Fraley won't pick up were Bilous and Hart left off? Yes, Bilous out will hurt Caravel but just like any year you never know what will come out.

Bottom line pitching is one thing but if you don't hit you don't score runs......

Caravel relies on pitching and with inexperience I think they will struggle. From how I saw it Caravel's coach tried to start a younger kid against Smyrna in the playoffs and hart bailed him out

That was Carney but there was 3 errors in the 1st inning that did not help.

That being said Caravel lost (4) starters in the infield
- Zwier - Transfered out , Erne, Corbit, Ellis - Seniors.

Originally posted by MRBASEBALL15:
That was Carney but there was 3 errors in the 1st inning that did not help.

That being said Caravel lost (4) starters in the infield
- Zwier - Transfered out , Erne, Corbit, Ellis - Seniors.
Where did Zwier go?

Zwier transferred to a prep school in NC, I am not sure but I thought I heard with his transfer he gained another year of high school eligibility but I am not completely sure on that. Caravel lost a lot of kids from last year and pitching may be thin as most of you have noted. Coach Nick always comes up with something and this year will be nothing short of that you can bet.

Without bilous(surgery) and hart caravel will struggle and may not get the wins they need for playoffs
Any Delaware high school baseball historians remember the last time Caravel didn't make the playoffs?

Question MrBASEBALL15

If you can only have one, pitching or hitting, than which one?
Which one is more consistent?
Is there other ways to score without hitting?

Just a thought on the bottom line.....

TouchThemAll - Caravel missed the playoffs in 2010. The time before that is 2000.

I'm not buying into this talk of Caravel not making the playoffs. They should have enough talent to reload where they lost kids to graduation, transfer, and injury. They may not make it to the semi finals but I still think they are a playoff team.

Originally posted by TheDETop20:
I'm not buying into this talk of Caravel not making the playoffs. They should have enough talent to reload where they lost kids to graduation, transfer, and injury. They may not make it to the semi finals but I still think they are a playoff team.
cool0020.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT