ADVERTISEMENT

Pre Season Top 10

Appo has the Talent to win Back to Back championships , clear choice as # 1 in the State

Pitching is back this year, plus a couple of new young arms to contribute

Best hitting Team in Delaware, will score a lot of runs every game

Best hitting team in Delaware? I'm sure they look good hitting underhand toss in the cage this time of year, lol.

Surprised there's not more opinions on this topic. Especially since the Henlopen seems to be completely up for grabs. And really the Flight A conference is up for grabs as well. And the Diamond conference as well. Couple more weeks till the start!

Appo should get strong consideration as the top team , then you have the usuals St.Marks , sallies, caravel , to me sounds like Dover lost a ton of starters , Sussex Tech is really solid just not sure they have THAT pitcher , Capes success realies in their young guns , some people are high on Middletown, the henlopen is up for grabs in my opinion , overall should be competitive year

I agree Caravel or Appo have the top spot. As for the Henlopen North Sussex Tech Smyrna Cape Polytech and even Dover could win it. Not sure what Sallies brings back. I know St.George and Middletown should be good as well.

Reactions: DoverSenator
Dover did lose a lot graduating majority of their starters. They do have a good 1-2 punch with pitching this year. Sussex Tech does as well with Hearn and Parks. Cape of course has Elliot and Gelof. Poly has Haas and Rivera for pitching. And Smyrna had Carrow and Dulin. I agree with @SussexCountyFair that any of those 5 teams could win. I think whoever gets hot at the end will win the conference. No reason all 5 of those teams don't make the playoffs though.

Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
That's a very interesting list. You have Smyrna and Sallies ranked really high. I think St.George Polytech and Middletown are better then both of them but just opinions. Really confused how you have Lake Forest in the top 10? They struggled last year with a heavy senior line up now they are all gone should be a very long year for the Spartans...

Does Sallies return a lot? From what I heard if Smyrna doesn't have Carrow or Barkley that will hurt especially for the Henlopen conference. Middletown with Peluse back this year could be a problem for teams as well. Being a Dover guy I wouldn't even put us that high yet. I personally think there should be 5 Henlopen teams in the top 10 but they always beat down on each other so it's hard for that.

No way Peluse pitches this year even if he's ready physically. Not worth it . Kids going to Wake Forest .

The Sals are returning 12 players from last year's varsity roster, including three solid pitchers in Robino, O'Neil and the youngin' Campbell. Miller is also back to provide stability and leadership from behind the dish. Not to mention the Sals are always deep and may have a gem or two coming up from the lower ranks. As for the Eagles, you short-change them when your only mentions are Carrow and Barkley. They also have Dulin and a young experienced catcher to handle the staff in Penuel. I have a hunch about Lake. I think Collins is a fine left-handed pitcher along with Reed, Cashdan and Simpson.. they have the arms to make noise.

Hard pressed to beat Caravel's 1-2-3 of Fraley, Carney, Marenco/Silan and Appo with Steckline, Garrett, Bannon as well as other arms like Lenard

If Peluse doesn't pitch this year no way do I consider Middletown a top 10. I agree with Senator about Smyrna. If they don't have Barkley who is probably their number 2 it'll be tough to squeeze games out without pitching. Lake was interesting because I don't even believe that they will win the South. Just figured teams like Archmere Cape Hodgson St.Marks and even Milford would be better then Lake..

Here are my pre season Top 10:

1. Appo- pitching duo Garret & Steckline ...remaining champs until proven otherwise
2. Caravel- maybe the best pitching duo with Fraley & Carney. This team will be tough
3. St.Marks- Reich will be strong on the bump, not sure about #2 but expect them to be there near the end
4. Sussex Tech- Hill & Marvel will be tough on the mound. From what I hear they are senior heavy
5. Sallies- Not sure but always represent well
6. Smyrna-Not sure on pitching but I'm hearing good things.
7. St. George- Campbell & Gilbert will be tough on the bump. This team can make some noise
8. Polytech-Not sure on pitching but this team will swing the wood
9. Middletown-Peluse will win them some big games. Not sure if they have a strong #2. Look out if they do.
10. Cape- Gelof & Elliott can get it done. Not sure what kind of offense they have coming back.

Reactions: DoverSenator
Middletown was 10-7 last year. Poluse only pitched two games. Only two starters graduated last year. He will be hitting not pitching. They got two good senior pitchers and there freshman pitchers last year did well.

Correct but the two players they left were their Centerfieler and Catcher those two made up a big part of that offense. They won't be bad nice little scrappy team just not a top 10 team.

I think St.George and Polytech both could make some noise. Of course neither of those teams have aces like Appo or Caravel but they can swing the bats with them. Tournament time not sure if I'd want to face them.

TTA.... I was not aware of the Junior Pitcher. I'm sure St Marks will be a strong contender for the Title again this year.

Hard pressed to beat Caravel's 1-2-3 of Fraley, Carney, Marenco/Silan and Appo with Steckline, Garrett, Bannon as well as other arms like Lenard

I agree with the 1-2, punch , not that comfortable with the others, Ur right about Appo, that's a legit talented group of talented young men

Last edited:
I dont know the south teams as well but can shed light on some of the north. As far as 1-2 punches Appo has a couple of nice arms but have to say the caravel duo of Carney and fraley and St Marks Reich and Sullivan are better. St georges is getting some props but they have folded late every year. They have lost 8 in a row to hodgson and are 2-11 against them lifetime. They have to get over that hump 1st and it hasn't been all Walter. Middletown has talent offensively and a new coach may be a difference. Peluse will not pitch. Up north I am going.
1 St. Marks
2. Caravel
3. Appo
4. Sallies
After that it's open its open and I will look at the coaching
Hodgson : always seems to be there with or without Walter
Mt. Pleasant: reg season flight a will be a change
Middletown: change of coach has to help
Newark Charter: may surprise

St georges has talent needs coaching

Surprised how teams downstate like Dover Smyrna Poly or even Cape don't get recognized before Newark Charter and Mount?

From what I did see from last year. Cape hits the ball and has a good deal of returning players. I would have them as a 5 based on that. Smyrna seems to be on the rise. Dover will battle but is down from the last 2 yrs and poly reminds me of St georges just never seems to get over the hump.

Cape lost pretty much all their offense. Returns Gelof and Elliot which is huge for pitching. Pitching is key in the North. Smyrna is solid with Gillis and Seymour returning. Dover lost a lot as well but return Hutchins and Thomas up the middle. Poly returns Chasnoi and Olshenski which gives them hope. It's really anyone's chance. Pitching will be key so I'd give the edge to Tech or Cape. Followed closely by Poly or Smyrna

Exactly like I've been told. But I do know pitching helped them a lot. Having Kwan and Kennedy in the line up really helped them. But it's the same at Dover with them losing Small and Graham. Poly lost Obermire and Hill. Smyrna just lost Evarage. Tech stays pretty strong heavy group of seniors. That's why I give the favor to Tech due to their core returning.

I'm not up to speed with all the downstate teams, so i'll borrow the opinions of others...but I think top 10 to start

1. St Marks - Loaded with arms, championship pedigree
2. Appo - Defending Champs - added another huge piece at C
3. Caravel - Going to be hard to beat Fraley heads up , Carney solid #2. Good coaching and they always seem to have the right guys on the bump.
4. Sussex Tech - Seems to be consensus downstate top team
5. Sallies - Solid throughout lineup and should have enough arms
6. Smyrna - Based on other's opinions.
7. St Georges - Tons of talent, gotta be able to hold it together one of these years.
8. Conrad - Not sure why nobody is showing them love, lost Hyatt but have the rest of the squad back
9. Dover - Lost a lot of talent but still has enough to make some noise
10. Hodgson - Life without Walter, but they always seem to be in the mix

Middletown, Archmere, DMA, Poly, Cape, William Penn all have the ability to have great years. I do worry a bit about Middletown who upgraded their schedule.

Sleepers: Newark, Wilmington Christian and Newark Charter but I think both might be a year away.

Last edited:
I like that list. I do like the Conrad being in there. Just wasn't sure what they had left after losing Hyatt. Dover isn't a top team anymore. Lost majority of offense and bring back One starting pitcher who was sketchy at times last year. I'd feel more comfortable if you Cape or Dover in place of them. I wouldn't put Hodgson either. My last two spots would Cape then Poly

I do believe DMA had 7 sophomores who all played a major role in their success last season. They gave a talented Dover team all they could handle in last years tournament losing 4-3. They lost 1 pitcher that needs to be replaced but they are continuing to get great talent at that school. They have a young coaching staff who knows how to get the best out of their players and teaches them how to play the game the right way. Players are wanting to play for that staff. I'm sure they like being under the radar. Excited to see what this school does in the future.

DMA should be really good this upcoming season. They did loss their ace but so did a lot of other teams. Big fan of their coaching staff seems to have his players respect. Could very well be a sleeper team. Don't think they would mind that though especially since they almost beat my boys at home this past year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT