ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions for Tuesday's first round games

GateKeeperRefugee

All-State
Jan 3, 2013
Let's have some fun and share some predictions for the eight first round games set for Tuesday. Since I'm starting the thread, I'll go first.

9 Laurel vs 24 DMA - Laurel has the Handy sisters, both of which can score the ball, but the younger one is their top player. Laurel's schedule wasn't really anything to write home about and up against a superior team like CR, they were overmatched. Seven of DMA's eight losses came to tournament teams (Archmere and Conrad twice, Caravel, Friends and Delcastle), so they've seen some competition and allow just about 39 points per game. I'm going to call this upset (or not really) and say DMA wins 45-41.

10 Archmere vs 23 Friends - Dan Pisani has done some good work in turning Archmere into a tourney team to be reckoned with (beat Penn on the road, gave Concord a tough test last year). The Auks have a great senior guard in Danaziah Brown as well as a nice nucleus of talented underclassmen, led by Emma McCann and Amanda Denning. Friends is another solid defensive team, led by double-double machine Natalie DePaulo, but can her teammates step up against Archmere's supporting cast? My gut says no. Archmere's a team to look out for. Auks win 48-36.

11 A.I. duPont vs 22 Delcastle - A.I. has a great 1-2 punch in senior Lauryn Griffin and freshman Ber'Nyah Mayo and a nice resume against tournament teams (wins over Hodgson, Mt. P, these Cougars and Friends, tough games against Archmere/CR/Conrad/Howard). Delcastle's schedule outside of Flight A was substandard and have already lost to A.I. this season, but the tournament being a whole new season could be a positive for them. Still, I'll take A.I. 46-24.

12 Hodgson vs 21 Delmarva Christian - Hodgson looked dreadful against Concord in the BHC title game Saturday, so they desperately need to get off to a good start against Delmarva Christian, who really hasn't played anybody in DE this year. Strange they made the tournament, but hey. Points are points. Perkins-Jackson and Braxton-Young should be enough to get Hodgson to a second round match-up with Conrad. Hodgson wins 53-41.

13 Cape vs 20 Mount Pleasant - Who is the only team to beat 2-seed Caesar Rodney this season?The Vikings have played a tough schedule (which includes Ursuline) and are battle tested. Same can be said for Mount, who can count wins over Howard and Delcastle as bonuses. One thing that worries me about Mount is they have trouble scoring and it showed in games in the 20s that they lost to Friends and Tower Hill. Plus, a two-hour ride promises to be a disadvantage for Mount, but Ronnie Potts will have his girls ready to play. Still, I'm taking Cape 40-35.

14 Sussex Central vs 19 St. Thomas More - All Ron Dukes has done at Central is keep the engine moving after graduating Emily Truitt, an all-state player and their leader last season. Central has played everyone close and was rewarded with a home game for their 14-6 record and bonus points against CR and Sussex Tech. St. Thomas More was a preseason Bob fave, but after losing both of the Barnes girls (one to grades, another for undisclosed reasons), it's on Aniah Patterson's shoulders and I don't think that'll be enough against Central. Home team takes it 50-33.

15 Howard vs 18 Dover - Howard was another minute away from dethroning Hodgson as Flight B champs and possibly gaining a higher seed, but they still will host a home game for the second straight year. Dover, under a coach who isn't that far removed from high school herself, has shown to be a tough opponent for anyone they play and even after a 90 minute ride North, Howard should take them very seriously. I think Howard's guard play will be key. If Hollis and Wright can keep this hot streak they've had going, it'll be a long night for the Senators. Howard wins 57-47.

16 Lake Forest vs 17 Milford - Rubber match time: Lake won the first meeting in December, Milford took the second one earlier this month. Trenita Shields will have her girls ready and Milford will look to slow the game down and keep Lake's guards from getting open looks, which they can bury regularly. This might be the closest game of the first round and the most hotly contested - after all, it's a Kent County rivalry and the winner gets Ursuline, so they better enjoy it now. I'll take Lake Forest 44-38.

Great write . . . .Only comments Howard has be careful and be ready, but should pull it out. Barnes girls suffered sprained ankle vs Sussex Tech, I'm a homer put STMA pulls it out.

Last edited:
Nice roundup. It's a shame. St. Thomas More is really a shell of the team I was expecting to see this season. Lost Sarah Pool to a knee injury during volleyball season, and DahNaija Barnes was their only non-freshman or sophomore. Patterson is their go-to, but Nicole Rainford has a little game, too.

Nice writeup. Props to the schedule maker for Delmarva Christian- they were 2-6 against in-state opponents with the victories coming against schools with 3 wins and 6 wins.

DMA does look like it should have a good chance for the win.

I just had a feeling about that one.

Saw Howard/Dover tonight and Howard wasted no time jumping on them. Hollis and Wright were pretty good leading the full-court press and Ronnasia Blatch-Huggins is a kid no one's talking about, but she's got some moves in the post, she even pulled out a Dream Shake - showed the ball one way, brought it back the other way for a lay-up. CR should be careful Thursday.

Reactions: 84rider
No real surprises tonight. Archmere-Friends was a bit tough if you like of scoring, but the Auks' defense is really good. They'll give St. E fits on Thursday, and if the shots are falling, it could be mile upset city.

I've had Blatch-Huggins on my all-state radar all season. Howard will need another big performance from her to get past CR.

Reactions: 84rider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT