ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Girls Basketball 2015- 2016

Justabasketballfan

Getting reps on JV
Mar 16, 2015
I got a chance to update my info based on my findings: hope this helps
The top schools still seem to repeat themselves.

The story line of some of the teams:
Ursuline looks to be strong with a good class of freshman to help add missing points on the table with the graduation of three time Gatorade player of the year Adrianna Hahn. Alisha Lewis looks to be ready to begin the process of running the team, along with alisa irons, kailyn kempert, and kryshell gordy. They have size, skill, and some athletic freshmen coming in. who should give some help immediately. Concord's girls have improved with the addition of junior jamiyah dennis and freshman amayla sharif. How they blend together in Wynter mcllaughlin's last year could be key. Sanford's girls seem to be really strong with majority of the line-up intact. They have new freshman olivia tucker who will add shooting and strong guard play. 9th grader lauryn park-lane's shooting off the bench was a great help last year. They have enough talent across the board to be considered the best team in the state. Howard has possibly considered the best ninth grader in the class Ronnaisia blatch-huggins, and gaurd nalieghia wright. they should help instantly to propel howard and last year's sophomore sensation forward Ronnay Blatch-huggins into the top ten by season end. But the most intriguing player would be 6'3 freshman center Zaria newson at mount pleasant. her defense and rebounding should help mount pleasant begin to make a run in the playoffs, along with other incoming freshman ayanna obey. The loss of Jamya dennis offense and control of the ball may hurt them. if they have a guard that can handle the pressure. they will make a move this year. But the school that has had the most ready to play freshmans that will make an immediate impact this year is hodgson. Lead by freshmans kayla braxton-young, ja-naiah jackson, treasure baskerville and korryn braxton-young. There guard play should make it fun to watch them this year and for the next four years. This year’s total freshman class from top to bottom across the state could possibly be the best class in 20 years. and the ready to play total talent is spread out all over the state. i Would love to see how this year ends and in four years see where all of these talented girls land for college. other schools with a great freshman class this year: Conrad, appo, st. Georges, smyrna. With that said here is my list for top 10 girls high school pre-season list:

1. Ursuline- The loss of adrianna hurts. but some new talented freshman coming in like kay wulah, and yanni mccalla just to name a few that will help with the rest of last year’s team. Having the toughest schedule in the state will get them prepared for play-offs. Defense won’t be a problem. Having a go to scorer when the play breaks down might. Coach Noonan will have a great time trying to find the right combinations with all of this talent, to have them rolling. Team play will be the message

2. Sanford- They still have size and guard play from freshman's lauren park-lane, and olivia tucker, along with possible pre-season player of the year chrishyanah alston to help make a strong run for her last year. They have strong talent across the board. there balance attack maybe the way to dethrone ursuline this year. these two schools sit up on the mountain top this year.Sanford has the second strongest schedule in Delaware

3. Concord- Key freshman, some key transfers and along with wynter mclaughlin could get concord over the hump this season. it could all come down to how well jamya dennis recovers from her injury suffered this summer and how she blends in with the rest of the team.

4. Sussex Central- Constant team play will have them make a run for the chip

5. Padua- there is still talent there. hard to keep them out of the top ten. depending on how some of there key freshman play could determine if they slip from this spot.

6. st. Elizabeth- some of their offense transferred to Sanford. They still have enough talent to compete. Sophomore Ya'kyra smith-hines could be ready to take over quarterbacking the offense this year.

7. Hodgson- A lot of talented freshman guards to add to Senior guard quiara mayes that will have this team making a run literally and figuratively. Would be higher if they had some size on this team. There interior defense could be an issue for them to go deep in the play-offs. if they have a great running and uptempo style not sure how many teams will be able to keep up with them.

8. Caeser Rodney- made a great run last year. doesn't look like anything will change

9. Caravel- 90% of their offense has graduated. Sophomores Maia Bryson, and Grace Lange look to shoulder the offensive load along with some key freshman that will help, but not 90%. still enough talent to make run. not sure how deep. They will sure need someone with some veteran leadership to help them get over the hump. it will be surprising to see how they will do. caravel has the third strongest schedule in the state

10. St. Thomas more- Sophomore a’maja mack, and a slew of talented freshman will get this team on the map. they look to be the surprise team this year. they have the second most talented freshmen class coming in behind hodgson.

Other teams to watch in no order:
Wilmington Charter,
St. marks,-( style of play always keeps this team in the mix. great strategy if it works)
A.I. Dupont,-( lauryn griffen looks to add to her career as she leads this squad this year)
Archmere,
Conrad,-(a slew of new freshman guards that will change conrad's look this year. Inside presence, and size is missed)
Howard,-(some key freshman could move them up, guard play could be an issue)
st Andrews,-(senior Olivia Gumbs seems to be the only bright spot. she will lead them to the playoffs)
William penn,-(alot of talent this year, combined with a new attitude and a pesky defense)
mount pleasant,-( 6'3 Zaria newson, and ayanna obey could be the key to a resurgence)
appo,-(Senay clark leads a cast a of freshman looking help get appo moving in a good direction)
st. georges,-(freshmen Trinity brittingham, and Amber Washington well add to last years cast)
smyrna,-

On the rise in no order:
Newark Charter, Milford, DMA, Tatnall, and Wilmington Friends

Last edited:
Thomas More is going to solid. They are on the come up. A lot of good underclassmen joining junior Sarah Pool. She had double digits in most games last year including a 35 point showing. She is steady guard that can out the ball in the hoop. They should fun to watch.

Well We are mid- season for girls basketball. And based on my above findings i wasn't off that bad with how the High school rankings are fairing. There is still a ton of basketball to play. But as of 1/18/2016 the rankings show:
ursuline
sanford
concord
caravel
st elizabeth
william penn
caesar rodney
hodgson
milford
st. thomas more

To be off only two is pretty good. As the season moves on we will see the shuffling of teams move up and down in the rankings.
Assessment so far: Ursuline with the toughest schedule shows to be holding there end of the bargain. with the toughest schedule in the state and balance scoring they seem moving right along with only losses to out side of the state teams. Sanford, st. e, and caravel are moving right along. Concord has been a making some noise with the way they are winning. I knew they were a strong team but not they way they are showing along with having some key pieces being injured for a couple of games. Concord and ursuline are the deepest teams this year. both teams can go to there 11th and 12th player with not too much of a drop off. Dover has really surprised me and could really go deep in the tourney. St. thomas more has not lived up yet in terms of quality of wins (they are beating the lessor teams by wide numbers, and you can tell they are coming along for them to be an extremely young team. I would love to see how they fair against some stronger opponents there first big test was hodgson and they lost. will see how they do come tourney time. William penn has secured that spot that i had for st thomas more, i did pick penn to be in the hunt with there aggressive defense they have been taking on all comers. The rest of the schools are still trying to put together a push to make the playoffs as we are at the mid point of the season.

My final four teams projections:
1 ursuline- maggie Connely, alisa irons, and alisha lewis leads this balance attack
2 sanford- size inside and scoring keeps these guys in the hunt
3 concord- veteran scoring keeps these guys looking really good
4 hodgson- 3 freshman starting and there in the hunt
teams that could upset and get in:
caravel- Maia bryson is running on all cylinders
st thomas more- Amaja mack is leading the youth movement for this team
st elizabeth- there athletic and inside presence
William penn- there pressure defense keeps teams on the look out

The famous freshman class has had it ups and downs so far this year. But if you have been keeping up with who has been making a name for themselves you can see kayla braxton-young of hodgson leading the way, along with her running mates jania Jackson, and Treasure baskerville. Kayla has been very consistant with her play and has pushed hodgson in the top ten rankings. The next player would be an virtual unknown since to this point of the season, that player is logan handy of laurel. Because she is the only talent on her team, she has been averaging almost 29 points per game. The wins are not coming so often because of her supporting cast but you can not deny the talent she has. Sanfords lauryn park-lane, kendra warren, olivia tucker, and new freshman unknown samantha Pollich have been keeping sanford in the mix, alisha lewis of ursuline has been running the team well as pure point guard, Along with yanni mccalla having some major minutes. Kay Wulah is being brought on slowly, but the coach believes she will be a player when she comes along. Ondia brown of caravel hit a game winner at the buzzer to secure a win in the tina thompson tournament in dc, kharli cauley has been holding the point guard position as they are currently rank 5th in the state. Zaria Newson before her injury was putting mount pleasant on her back. when she comes back they will be looking to make one last push for the playoffs along with key freshman ayanna obey who has stepped up to fill in. Concord's amayla sharif is now starting because of injuries and has kept the team at this time undefeated. Ronnaisia blatch-huggins has had a couple of outburst as she starts to find her way to pace the team along with fellow freshman guard na-liegha wright of howard; Surprise player Nia anderson of wilmington charter has been getting good minutes.
Other freshman who have been making names for themselves and getting minutes to help there teams have been: Trinity brittingham, and amber & angel Washington of St. Goerges; Sasha marvel, jessica simmons, and aniah patterson of st thomas more; jesse prillaman of caesar rodney; senay clark of appo; and jayla smith of smyrna. all of these girls are continuing to get better and are improving there perspective teams.

also there is talk of two 8th graders that have been putting up big numbers but struggles to get wins. they are shania davis of wilmington Christian, and Julie Kulesza of Conrad although they are not part of this class they do deserve a shout out for their efforts!

Congrats ladies keep pushing!!!

Last edited:
I've seen Ursuline twice and Concord once and both teams are dangerous in terms of their depth and the way they can just suffocate you on defense. Once Armstrong or Noonan calls for the press, teams get the deer in headlights look. Also have seen St. E's and they have a young but talented bunch that's only going to get better as the season progresses.

Reactions: Justabasketballfan
gate. you are so right with the two team concord and ursuline are the deepest this year with talent with there pressure defense. For ursuline to win that game between the two of them will come down too how well they stretch the floor and use that three point. If concord can run them off the three point line and force them to attack the basket they may have a chance. if alyssa irons and maggie connelly start getting hot, its going to be a long day for concord. Sanford could pose a threat with there size. but they have to be effective early in the game. if not ursuline will run them off the floor. Any other school just doesn't have enough weapons or talent and depth to keep up with them.. Not to mention that they have been battled tested playing nationally ranked teams so far..another team that could make a surprise could be hodgson, and st thomas more. both are very young. hodgson is a little more deeper with talent and surprise and make a deep run in the playoffs

i will never take away from someone's accomplishment in what they are doing out on the court. I hear she is good. but i would to see how she does against some upstate teams..But to be able to carry a team on her back at such an early start in her career is pretty good . i would love to see how she turns out in four years. and i hope she stays there for four years.. but once they start losing they start looking for another place to go. so we will see

Don't know the kid at all, but thought she ought to be mentioned since all the other freshmen were getting mentioned

EE, I have seen her play she's legit. I would also add Jayla Smith of Smyrna to that list. Sometimes the downstate talent get's overlook, but up north is still the king of the hill.

Justballin is right the young ones are talented. Also St. Thomas More and Hodgson are going to shock people, they're so young but very talented. The more they play the better they will get. I wouldn't want meet either of them in the early rounds of the playoffs.

Last edited:
simmons. thanks, i don't want to miss out on any of the talented girls in the state.. the girls side need more pub just as much as the boys.. if all of these girls do well it will be the most we have seen in a long time for the girls side of basketball.. this class is turning out really tough..

My: Updated top 30 freshman as of 1/25/2016 class of 2019:

Kayla Braxton-Young- Hodgson

Lauren Park-Lane- Sanford

Alisha Lewis- Ursuline

Logan Handy- Laural

Ronnasia Blatch-Huggins- Howard

Samantha Pollich- Sanford

Zaria Newson- Mount

Olivia Tucker-Sanford

Ja-Niah Jackson- Hodgson

Amayla Sharif- Concord

Ondia Brown- Caravel

Kay Wulah- Ursuline

Sasha Marvel- St. Thomas More

Yanni Mccalla- Ursuline

Kendra Warren- Sanford

Jessica Simmons- St. Thomas More

Aniah Patterson- St. Thomas More

Trinity Brittingham- St. Georges

Kharli Cauley- Caravel

Senay Clark- Appo

Na- leighia Wright- Howard

Ayanna Obey- Mount

Nia Anderson- Charter

Amber Washington- St. Georges

Jaymail Hollis- Christiana

Korryn Braxton-Young- Hodgson

Jesse Prillamen- Caeser Rodney

Marquesha Bennett- Smyrna

Treasure Baskerville- Hodgson

Aryana Easterling- tatnall

Last edited:
Dickinson has a sophomore guard that's averaging right up around 30 and she's making her points count as they're 8-1. Bit of a surprise in Flight B.

Dickinson has a sophomore guard that's averaging right up around 30 and she's making her points count as they're 8-1. Bit of a surprise in Flight B.

Lynnjay "Mimi" Brown is good enough to beat teams single handily, not much of surprise to those that know or know of her

She also averaged well over 20ppg last year as a freshman

Love Lynnjay game, she gets to the rim at will, very hard to defend her drive. Both of them carry their teams but what would they avg if they played for Ursuline or Concord, would they avg as much, they're are a hand full of girls that could do the same if they had 90% of their teams offensive touches.

Do get me wrong both of them are good and deserve recognition, just wish we could can see them verses top competition no fault of their own.

Last edited:
simmon, they would actually average less. but the thing with Mi-Mi is she wants to play with or against the best.. she loves to be challenged.. So i think her talent would still stand out but she may not average as much as she is, and she would be cool with that as long as she is winning. the minute she isnt. she will take over and do what she knows.. She is having a player of the year type of year. her team is winning and she is the engine.. but she may not get it because she is in a small market school dickinson.. the person they may give it too is the senior at sanford.. We will see how the tournament turns out.. that could be the diciding factor for this year.. i'm hearing it Mi-mi brown, chrisholn, maggie connelly of ursuline, the senior from appo looks good but there not winning.. so we will see

simmon, they would actually average less. but the thing with Mi-Mi is she wants to play with or against the best.. she loves to be challenged.. So i think her talent would still stand out but she may not average as much as she is, and she would be cool with that as long as she is winning. the minute she isnt. she will take over and do what she knows.. She is having a player of the year type of year. her team is winning and she is the engine.. but she may not get it because she is in a small market school dickinson.. the person they may give it too is the senior at sanford.. We will see how the tournament turns out.. that could be the diciding factor for this year.. i'm hearing it Mi-mi brown, chrisholn, maggie connelly of ursuline, the senior from appo looks good but there not winning.. so we will see

No doubting her talents definitely POY potential, but your right I wish that players could be judge fairly. I know the seniors put in the time and players on high profile teams get more pub. Thinking outside the box since you mentioned Mi-Mi, how about some other underclassmen that are having a serious impact on their teams and monster years that need to be in the conversation. I would throw out Kayla Braxton-Young or Ja-Niah Jackson - Hodgson, Aahliyah Selby - Concord or Aniah Patterson St. Thomas More etc.... they maybe not seniors or have the same schedules as the top teams but their teams could have an impact when its all said in done. The second half of the season will be fun to watch.

The thing I like about the girls side of things this year is that's a not a clear runaway. Everyone knew an Adrianna Hahn-led Ursuline wouldn't be denied last year, this year, you can point to five or six teams that have a good chance of winning it all and the rest won't go quietly.

The thing I like about the girls side of things this year is that's a not a clear runaway. Everyone knew an Adrianna Hahn-led Ursuline wouldn't be denied last year, this year, you can point to five or six teams that have a good chance of winning it all and the rest won't go quietly.

maybe next year, but this year the front runners remain the same, Ursuline or Sanford will be our state champion

simmons- as far as underclassmen making an impact.. I like aniah. but she isn't the engine on the st thomas more team. i know the papers put her there. Amaja mack has been averaging double figures all season for that team and continues to push them into the top ten in the state.. there still young sand moving along. kayla braxton-young has been going at every body this year. she has picked up the high school very quickly and has push her team into the top ten in the state..others who have had spurts of a coming out party. zaria newson of mount( before injury), lauren park-lane of sanford, jamiya dennis of concord, maia bryson of caravel and lauren griffin of A.I. the talent in the state on the girls side is all over the place.. its great

educatedeye i would disagree.. concord is in there as well. those three teams are tough. if concord and sanford match up i think there depth will beat them.. it will be tough but if concords coach comes ready to push these girls a public school could upset one of them. and they are the only team that has personel to do it.. hodgson could do it but there too young and no inside presence. but they may surprise a team. them william penn, and st. thomas more

actually the last 5 games will see what there made of.. the last two especially. they have hodgson and then ursuline.. if they can escape- william penn and hodgson.. then it will be a good test for them to play ursuline

This final month promises to be interesting. Here are the top 24 by record and the next 10 teams up. Who do we think makes the tournament aside from the givens (Concord, HVT, Sanford, Ursuline, Caravel, St. E's)?

Concord 13-0
Hodgson 11-1
StM 11-1
CR 11-3
Milford 11-3
St. E 7-2
Aquinas (are they tourney eligible?) 10-3
Sanford 9-3
Penn 9-3
Howard 11-4
Caravel 8-3
Woodbridge 9-4
Dickinson 8-4
Tatnall 9-5
Conrad 7-4
Sussex Central 8-5
Ursuline 8-5
Cape 7-5
Delmarva Christian (same as Aquinas?) 7-5
Dover 7-5
Laurel 6-5
AI 7-6
Archmere 7-6
Wilm. Charter 7-6
----------------------------------
Christiana 7-6
Lake Forest 7-6
Sussex Tech 7-6
Delcastle 7-7
Appo 6-6
DMA 6-6
MtP 6-7
Newark Charter 6-7
Tower Hill 5-6
Brandywine 6-8

Besides the obvious schools you mentioned: sanford, ursuline, st. e, caravel, hvt, and concord.

The others are: Howard, Penn, CR, milford, st. thomas more, dickinson, conrad, archmere, and there are few others. but it is hard to say who will fit in by now. it will go down to the last couple games because some the higher profile games will be at the end of the season.. But i will say this. one st thomas more's main scorers is injured. not sure if she will finish the season out but as there schedule gets a little tougher it hard for them to get the wins with out her- so some things have changed

STM will be fine went to the wavier wire . . . :) surprise out of state transfer. Yes, big loss but as you said before they will surprise. So nothing changed! Also, I know Dover not high on the radar but they lost one of their Sr. guards to injury. CR and Woodbridge seems to be peaking at the right time for the downstate teams.

I think the most intriguing question is which second tier teams will grab those 7-8 seeds and get a bye?

Last edited:
If I had to guess, the 8 that get byes would be

Sanford
Ursuline
Caravel
St. E's
Hodgson
Concord
CR
Penn

Howard could possibly jump a couple of spots as they have both Caravel and St. E's on their schedule in their final five games, but it seems unlikely.

It probably does, but I think Sanford is better than they're given credit for being. They have as much depth as Concord and Ursuline and probably more scoring punch than both.

another youngster PUTTING IN WORK
c/o 2020 8TH GRADER Julie Kulesza of Conrad (DE) (23,19,19,7,4,25,22,15,20,25,23) is avg 18.3ppg on the high school varsity
Team is 7-4

yeah she is daughter of the coach.. she can really shoot the ball.. she has the green light.. they may slide into the play-offs. but the coach is looking for a big to help her...

Freshman L. Hardy scored 41pts (with 9 three's) of her teams 43 points, but still lost by 20+ to Woodbridge.

I just want to see her put those type of numbers against some of the guards up state that is going to dig in her a little bit.. I know she can go but the saying is can she do it against them.. I think people will be more of a believer then.. and goes for altia as well.. hope playoff time and we will get to see that first hand.. and please im not taking away of what there doing..

yeah she is daughter of the coach.. she can really shoot the ball.. she has the green light.. they may slide into the play-offs. but the coach is looking for a big to help her...
They have a 6'4" kid in 7th, im almost certain she'll be on the varsity contributing next year

I'm starting to become a believer in Concord as a state championship contender. You don't get to be 15-0 without some sort of toughness, depth and overall team chemistry.

They have a 6'4" kid in 7th, im almost certain she'll be on the varsity contributing next year

yes, the girl your talking about is the little sister of the sophomore power forward at sallies.. If she stays there it will be a great pick up for Conrad along with the freshman guard they have. And she is not 6'4 but she is about 6. and has the potential to get close to 6'2. but we will see

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT