ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Girls Basketball 2015- 2016

I'm starting to become a believer in Concord as a state championship contender. You don't get to be 15-0 without some sort of toughness, depth and overall team chemistry.

Well im glad someone else sees it too. Nah,but they are great team this year. they have the second most depth behind ursuline. up until this point they have played some lesser talent compared to who they are and they amount of talent they have. But all will come to pass as the last two games will test them. first they have hodgson at hodgson on 2/18/2016, which will be a nice warm up to play ursuline at ursuline on 2/23/2016. Both games should be fast paced. I think they will hodgson because of there youth and if Wynter a very good versatile player who can both inside and out decides to beat them in the paint then they will beat hodgson really bad.. if they have a running game it will make it tougher for them. I still think concord will beat them, but having that inside presence surely secure the win.. Ursuline will be a another issue. they balance, size, and speed. and both teams has large amount of depth.. coaching will be a big factor in this game

Saw Ursuline/St. E's part II last night and when Ursuline isn't completely focused they can be had, but when they lock in, it is a sight to behold. St. E's is still very dangerous because they have 3 girls who can score and they play reasonably good defense.

Reactions: Justabasketballfan
yes, the girl your talking about is the little sister of the sophomore power forward at sallies.. If she stays there it will be a great pick up for Conrad along with the freshman guard they have. And she is not 6'4 but she is about 6. and has the potential to get close to 6'2. but we will see
You are mistaken when it comes to that kids height, she's easily 6'3" today

Records as of today from WebSite4Sports :
(This does not account for any bonus index points.)

School Wins Losses
  1. Concord HS 15 - 0
  2. St. Thomas More 12 - 1
  3. Hodgson Vo-Tech 11 - 2
  4. Caesar Rodney HS 14 - 3
  5. Sanford School 13 - 3
  6. St. Elizabeth HS 10 - 3
  7. Aquinas Academy 12 - 4
  8. Howard HS of Tech 13 - 5
  9. Milford HS 12 - 5
  10. Sussex Central HS 11 - 5
  11. Ursuline Academy 11 - 5
  12. Woodbridge HS 11 - 5
  13. Dickinson HS 10 - 5
  14. William Penn HS 10 - 5
  15. Caravel Academy 9 - 5
  16. Conrad School 9 - 5
  17. Delmarva Christian HS 10 - 6
  18. Dover HS 9 - 6
  19. Sussex Tech 10 - 7
  20. Appoquinimink HS 8 - 6
  21. Charter School 8 - 6
  22. Tower Hill School 8 - 6
  23. Archmere Academy 9 - 7
  24. Lake Forest HS 9 - 7
  25. AI duPont HS 8 - 7
  26. Christiana HS 8 - 7
  27. DE Military Academy 8 - 7
  28. Mt. Pleasant HS 8 - 7
  29. Tatnall School 9 - 8
  30. Brandywine HS 8 - 8
  31. Cape Henlopen HS 8 - 8
  32. Delcastle HS 8 - 8
  33. Smyrna HS 8 - 8
  34. Padua Academy 7 - 7
  35. Delmar HS/MS 8 - 9
  36. Glasgow HS 6 - 8
  37. Laurel HS 6 - 8
  38. Newark Charter School 6 - 9
  39. Wilm Friends School 6 - 11
  40. Indian River HS 5 - 10
  41. Tall Oaks Classical School 3 - 7
  42. St. Mark's HS 4 - 10
  43. Red Lion CA 4 - 14
  44. St. Georges Tech HS 3 - 12
  45. Newark HS 3 - 13
  46. McKean HS 2 - 14
  47. Polytech HS 2 - 17
  48. Seaford HS 1 - 11
  49. Wilm Christian School 1 - 13
  50. Middletown HS 1 - 16
  51. DE Academy of Public Safety and Security 0 - 11
  52. St. Andrew's School 0 - 14

Saw Ursuline/St. E's part II last night and when Ursuline isn't completely focused they can be had, but when they lock in, it is a sight to behold. St. E's is still very dangerous because they have 3 girls who can score and they play reasonably good defense.

yes. I was at that games as well. and there was two things going on. the first was I got the impression that ursuline was a little overconfident because they be tem so bad last time. the second was st. Elizabeth did not come fear into the game. they played with a chip on there shoulder. now I was a little shocked that they was able to maintain that level of intensity for the whole game. even making a run in the fourth quarter.. and key players did not look like themselves for ursuline. Alyssa irons was off, and they went at the center kryshel gordy a little.. but the amazing thing out of all of that was finally I got to see one the nationally rank girls in country start to assert herself in the game in freshman Alyshia lewis.. she has not hit double digits in scoring all season and here she shows she can score.. was glad to see that the monster of the Delaware got challenged in that game.. I will see how they will do vs Sanford and concord..

I think Noonan hasn't turned Alisha loose yet because he wants a team effort on the floor, but she definitely has the potential to take over a game, she definitely showed it in the 2nd quarter when St. E's couldn't even bring the ball up on her. He might be waiting for the tournament to give her a chance to spread her wings so to speak.

I think Noonan hasn't turned Alisha loose yet because he wants a team effort on the floor, but she definitely has the potential to take over a game, she definitely showed it in the 2nd quarter when St. E's couldn't even bring the ball up on her. He might be waiting for the tournament to give her a chance to spread her wings so to speak.

I don't think so. I talked to some parents and they are saying that he wants her to shoot more but she doesn't on her own. I think that game she kind of was forced to start scoring because they was struggling. irons was struggling and they just couldn't get It going offensively buy the whole team.. but maybe the plays offs she will open up.. they are very young and still trying to find themselves as a team

It's a nice problem to have with the depth and talent they have and only two seniors, that's for sure. Really want to see them against Sanford and Concord.

yes, the girl your talking about is the little sister of the sophomore power forward at sallies.. If she stays there it will be a great pick up for Conrad along with the freshman guard they have. And she is not 6'4 but she is about 6. and has the potential to get close to 6'2. but we will see

Finally, saw Conrad Middle School girls in the Capital Classic championship game last night. The 7th grader is a legit 6'2- 6'3, she has good hands and moves well in the post, she will need to get in better shape to dominate in H.S. but the tools are there. Their other girl who I think is the H.S. coaches daughter was also good you can tell she has been trained well. If they stay together Conrad could make some noise two to three years down the road.

But, Central Middle girls were to athletic for them IMHO, led by Kayla Barnes and Nicole Rainford as Central Middle School girls capped off a perfect season with a 29-25 win.

Last edited:
Finally, saw Conrad Middle School girls in the Capital Classic championship game last night. The 7th grader is a legit 6'2- 6'3, she has good hands and moves well in the post, she will need to get in better shape to dominate in H.S. but the tools are there. Their other girl who I think is the H.S. coaches daughter was also good you can tell she has been trained well. If they stay together Conrad could make some noise two to three years down the road.

But, Central Middle girls were to athletic for them IMHO, led by Kayla Barnes and Nicole Rainford as Central girls middle school team capped off a perfect season with a 29-25 win.

yes. I talked to the mom about the big with the hopes that they will get her on some sort of aggressive training along with a complimentary diet for her to follow to tone her up and get her in better shape.. not sure if they will make the change or if they feel she will lose it as she gets older.. but she could be a solid player. not sure if she is going to stay there. I heard other schools are courting her to leave.. not sure what there plans are.. if she stay it will be good. and the daughter you seen in middle is the younger daughter. the older daughter plays varsity as an eighth grader.. but they are very well trained

It's interesting that a perfect stranger felt as though it was their place to tell a mother that their 12 year old daughter is out of shape, I sure hope she took that well.

EE, mom seems to know that her daughter has the potential to earn college money down the road. I think that any suggestions that are helpful and constructive wouldn't be misconstrued by level headed people. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me that my daughter needed to get tougher and stronger, I would be rich. You know what, their all right she does.

Last edited:
simmon, thank you, and I agree.. EE- First I have a good relationship with the parents when they came to me. but if you heard what I said in the statement was that she was talented but to get where they hope she would be able to go in the future she was going to have to be in better shape. and she has time to do that at her age.. the problem sometimes in Delaware is that we are not honest with some or all of the kids.. by no means do you kill a kids dream but you tell them this is what you have to do to get to your dreams. and if you want to go there your going to have to work hard to get there.. some of our parents, coaches, mentors, and trainers sugar coat things just to get the kid to play for them or use them for that moment.. if no one ever tells her or them people will just say it behind her back.. now if the child or parents want that child to maximize there ability to get them where they want to go. they will value the advice and not take it as a shot or criticism...

Concord beats Hodgson to go to 19-0 and Ursuline overcomes an early 10-point deficit at Sanford, so the girls' hoops match-up of the year is all set for Tuesday night. I might actually buy a ticket for that one.

Match up of the year? Really? Concord is 19-0 because they haven't played anyone. Concord beat Hodgson by 9, Sanford beat them by 30. Ursuline beat Sanford by 11. Face it, there is Ursuline and Sanford and nobody else this year! Concord will lose by at least 20 to Ursuline. It's a shame that Ursuline and Sanford will likely meet in the Semis of the tourney. That will be the real championship game.

I've seen both teams play and if you think Ursuline is going to walk over Concord because of point differential from games that have absolutely nothing to do with the other, then that's your prerogative. But that's a stupid first post.

Concord's athleticism should keep it close, but Ursuline's a bit deeper. Noonan can play with line-ups because of Harris, Hendley and Mason's versatility and scoring punch. I do think Ursuline wins, but it sure won't be easy.

Here's my super super guestimate of the 24 state tournament teams in order

1. Ursuline
2. Sanford
3. St. E
4. Caravel
5. Concord
6. Hodgson
7. CR
8. St. Thomas More
9. Milford
10. Sussex Central
11. Conrad
12. Penn
13. Howard
14. Delmarva Christian
15. Woodbridge
16. Tower Hill
17. Tatnall
18. Padua
19. Archmere
20. Lake Forest
21. Delcastle
22. Dickinson
23. Appo
24. Sussex Tech

The top 20 looks good, I think Lake Forest is safe if they win tonight but an above .501. team is going to loss their spot. Does a 10-10 Mt. Pleasant, Symrna or DE Military jump a 11-9 Appo, Sussex Tech, DelCastle or Dickerson?

This is where strength of schedule comes into play. Somebody is going to left out, if your have a weak schedule you better win 70% of your games. Some teams can't help it because of their league affiliation but you better have scheduled better non-conference competition if that's the case.

Last edited:
Lake did win tonight so I think they're set. Dickinson is probably in trouble because they lost 8 of their last 10, but six of those were to likely tournament teams, so I guess we'll have to see how it shakes out tomorrow.

I was at the game to see Ursuline and concord last Tuesday. And let me be the first to say I was disappointed in the way concord played. Forgive me. Not so much in effort because they gave I think what they could but. I think the coaching at least in that game by concord was bad. The girls did what they could do based on the scheme they was running. Concord has a lot of talent this year. A lot of athlete that get after you. I don’t think they was coached to get after them. There was no time called until after they Ursuline was up 10- 0 when they knew they was struggling with the press. The way they ran their offense was not crisp enough to be effective against Ursuline. And second the bench was not used enough to keep the pressure on them. Now maybe concord was a little start struck in the beginning because they missed so many lay-ups at the rim. They just couldn’t put it in the basket. Now Ursuline had some flaws as well. Where down the stretch in the fourth quarter they continued to stay in the zone an allowed Concord to make a run in that last quarter. They gave them some life. When they were up 20 I think Ursuline could went to their bench a little more. They have some much talent on that team. There were little things I see both teams could have improved on. I will say this. If concord meets ursuline again I think they will have better game against them.. but yes there only two maybe three teams that sit up atop the girls basketball mountain..and it looks like they will be on a collision course for each other . now if the state puts them in the same side of the bracket it will be a wrong because the state chip will suck

Ursuline and Sanford had by far the two toughest schedules in the state and both won 70 percent of their games, I gotta think they would be 1-2 in spite of Concord's 19-1 and the other teams who've won at least 14 games. But, until the brackets come out (today, tomorrow, whenever), we're just speculating.

Ursuline and Sanford had by far the two toughest schedules in the state and both won 70 percent of their games, I gotta think they would be 1-2 in spite of Concord's 19-1 and the other teams who've won at least 14 games. But, until the brackets come out (today, tomorrow, whenever), we're just speculating.

Hearing:

1. Ursuline
2. Stanford
3. Concord
4. St. E
5. St. Thomas More
6. Caesar Rodney
7. Caravel
8. Hodgson

Might be off on order but that's the top 8.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT