ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings?

Tackledummy

Water boy
Aug 26, 2014
Are we due for some updated rankings? I know there's been some shake ups. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any since The Beast. 302 too busy on the Basketball courts?:)

Reactions: Dewrestling123
They have been done multiple times since the beast. Don't know how to link but they are on 302 Facebook page. Not on Facebook anymore but was sent a screenshot last week.

We have the team rankings and the individual rankings, is there predictions for dual team states.

We have the team rankings and the individual rankings, is there predictions for dual team states.
Im going with sal with the upset & Milford for d2. Im a Milford fan always be a buc but still would like to see laurel win.. Coach is doing a great job with them boys.. Couple years ago they had a lot of ff.. Great job coach!

I think Sallies can stick with Smyrna if they can limit bonus points but thats a big if.

Haven't seen a lot of Sals this year but on paper you guys look good. Not a heavy senior lineup either which is good for the future, good luck the rest of the way.

I've always wished there was a rule that if you weigh a kid in at a weight and then forfeit that weight class that it's maybe 7 team points instead of 6. Hate going all the way across the state to see a match and the elite kids don't even wrestle because coaches are bitches. Excuse my French but it's just bad for the sport.

That happens way too often...
Way too much. I am that fan that doesn't just support my team but I travel to see matches when there is supposed to be good matchups or a top,kid who I just enjoy watching. More times than not, coaches move kids up or forfeit away from the elite wrestler. How does that help your kid get better? Or help the sport? I've been at tri meets where a coach forfeits a weight when they opposing team has a very good kid and then put a kid out in the next match at that weight. I've also seen my share on matches in the Bucks County pa area and it happens way less often there. Why do you think that is? Is that because they have better wrestlers or is that why they have better wrestling? Something to ponder

I think they probably have better wrestlers, that's probably why. Just how dual meet wrestling is in Delaware some teams have trouble even fielding a full lineup. But I agree I would much rather see teams wrestle each other straight up like they do in college. At the end of the day though a good coach is going to put together the match ups for their team to win the dual meet and I can most definitely respect that.

Reactions: wtc76 and Takestime
What I've witnessed isn't and can't possibly be what's best to win a dual. They forfeit say 126 in the first dual when the opponent has a good 126 and then they have the 126 wrestle in the next dual that same evening when the opponent has a weak 126. Why not let the kid wrestle and maybe get experience or even save a point or two. I'm sure I can go find examples but I do not want to call out anyone specific. I've seen Rosser get more forfeits than I've seen him wrestle this year when I go watch them.

What I've witnessed isn't and can't possibly be what's best to win a dual. They forfeit say 126 in the first dual when the opponent has a good 126 and then they have the 126 wrestle in the next dual that same evening when the opponent has a weak 126. Why not let the kid wrestle and maybe get experience or even save a point or two. I'm sure I can go find examples but I do not want to call out anyone specific. I've seen Rosser get more forfeits than I've seen him wrestle this year when I go watch them.
any chance the coach is protecting their kids from possibly getting hurt from this far more superior wrestlers.

any chance the coach is protecting their kids from possibly getting hurt from this far more superior wrestlers.
They may wanna play volleyball or chess if that's their intent. sheesh I hope that's not it. Don't know what they do in practice these days but in my time we were more likely to be hurt in practice than a six (less than a minute sometimes) minute match.

Reactions: wtc76
They may wanna play volleyball or chess if that's their intent. sheesh I hope that's not it. Don't know what they do in practice these days but in my time we were more likely to be hurt in practice than a six (less than a minute sometimes) minute match.
I think coaches would protect a below average wrestler against a top tiered kid, for safety it's not worth losing a kid over a match he wouldn't stand a chance at anyway

I'm going to tread lightly because this has been a sensitive subject for me this year. We have three freshmen in our lineup and one is at a higher weight where he sees older and stronger kids almost every match. Not once have we forfeited a match where we have a kid weighed in. One thing I've realized over the years is that these matches will only make them better. As a coach you just have to let them know the situation and that all you expect is their best effort. It builds character and they will be all the better for it. Every single kid in the rankings has had their ass handed to them more than once when they first started wrestling. Just my opinion of course.

This mentality is what keeps more kids more kids out of the sport. A coach is not only there for the team but also for the kids. I applaud a coach who knows what his kid is capable of and what's better for his team. Maybe its a point thing. I would hate for my kid to wrestle for some of y'all.

Bottom line... there are weight classes so that one kid is not necessarily going to get hurt fighting another kid in that same weight class. These kids who are avoiding wrestling are seasoned wrestlers this year and in my opinion, it is sad. They are more likely to get "hurt" (as you say) since they are wrestling up to avoid a certain individual. My son's freshman year he had to face 4 seasoned wrestlers (3 who were seniors) ~ not to mention my son had skipped a grade so he should have been an 8th grader. He wrestled Estrada, Price and Jackson who were seniors; and then there were 2 held back wrestlers, Rosser and Natarcola and of course Caruso. Did he get it handed to him a few times that year... sure. Did it help him, indeed. He placed 4th at States that year. Mike will go into his Senior year as a 16 year old and, God willing, he will continue to succeed in the sport he loves.

Bottom line... there are weight classes so that one kid is not necessarily going to get hurt fighting another kid in that same weight class. These kids who are avoiding wrestling are seasoned wrestlers this year and in my opinion, it is sad. They are more likely to get "hurt" (as you say) since they are wrestling up to avoid a certain individual. My son's freshman year he had to face 4 seasoned wrestlers (3 who were seniors) ~ not to mention my son had skipped a grade so he should have been an 8th grader. He wrestled Estrada, Price and Jackson who were seniors; and then there were 2 held back wrestlers, Rosser and Natarcola and of course Caruso. Did he get it handed to him a few times that year... sure. Did it help him, indeed. He placed 4th at States that year. Mike will go into his Senior year as a 16 year old and, God willing, he will continue to succeed in the sport he loves.
What she said! Thank you. You're more likely to get hurt wrestling a novice wrestler who doesn't know what they are doing than you are wrestling a very good kid. Sheesh.

Once your in High School what grade kids are in or how old you are is not relavent for any argument Nobody says in the recor book or cares for that matter how old a kid is or what grade they are in. I told my son when he was young NO EXCUSE......

Reactions: Takestime
For me, it always depends on the wrestler and the situation. If I have a first year guy who has been on the fence about sticking with sport, I probably wont put him out there against a former state champ or top 3 wrestler. Yet, if we are close to winning the duel meet I will tell the wrestler what is expected of him which would be to wrestle hard and not get pinned. A lot of it is situational.

I actually had a wrestler this year who only wrestled for 4 weeks (and was on the fence) and had a situation where we could get the win if he were not to get pinned. Long story short, I sent him out there against a wrestler who is currently ranked 4th in the state and he got pinned in the 2nd period. This wrestler quit wrestling after this match.

You really just have to know your wrestlers and their tenacity and whether or not #1 if this will help the team #2 will it give my wrestler experience and drive to see how much work needs to be put in to reach the next level and # 3 does this wrestler have the grit to take a dominated tough loss and stick with sport and put more work in.

Rosser hasn't received any forfeits this year.

I'm a dummy. Meant Dean and put Rosser. I've been to three CR matches - polytech, Milford and Sallies and he's wrestled in one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT