ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings?

For me, it always depends on the wrestler and the situation. If I have a first year guy who has been on the fence about sticking with sport, I probably wont put him out there against a former state champ or top 3 wrestler. Yet, if we are close to winning the duel meet I will tell the wrestler what is expected of him which would be to wrestle hard and not get pinned. A lot of it is situational.

I actually had a wrestler this year who only wrestled for 4 weeks (and was on the fence) and had a situation where we could get the win if he were not to get pinned. Long story short, I sent him out there against a wrestler who is currently ranked 4th in the state and he got pinned in the 2nd period. This wrestler quit wrestling after this match.

You really just have to know your wrestlers and their tenacity and whether or not #1 if this will help the team #2 will it give my wrestler experience and drive to see how much work needs to be put in to reach the next level and # 3 does this wrestler have the grit to take a dominated tough loss and stick with sport and put more work in.

Unfortunately Nick those kids who are on the fence are just looking for a reason. I tried for years to keep kids like that, but even if they stay the season I never saw them the next year. I think you did the right thing letting him wrestle the match. The upside actually may have swayed him to enjoy the sport had he not gotten pinned and felt that feeling of pride! We all have our ways of doing it, but I just think the kids are here to wrestle so let them wrestle. There is of course the argument for the other option as well. Good luck the rest of the year and see at conference seeding meeting! Oh the fun we will have! Haha

Once your in High School what grade kids are in or how old you are is not relavent for any argument Nobody says in the recor book or cares for that matter how old a kid is or what grade they are in. I told my son when he was young NO EXCUSE......

That was my point. I mentioned my sons age and the other wrestlers as well to point out he could have got hurt and yes he was against more experienced wrestlers. However, damned if I wanted him to sit out and not wrestle after making the Varsity line up. No different than handing over the keys to your 16 year old. We can't coddle them forever and fear what 'might' happen.

Well, this sport ain't for everyone. Coaches bump kids around for strategic purposes at times to win a dual meet. Most of them do things like that. Some coaches move kids away from another so they can get a better match up. One they think may cost them fewer bonus pts or gain bonus pts. All acceptable in my opinion. With that said there are other coaches that won't let kids wrestle another due to where it could come out in seeding eventually at the end of the year. That is crap. Pathetic. You have to wrestle through all to win a title. Buck up and wrestle. Just my 2 cents.

@concord87 I agree. They just need to understand that this sport, no matter how athletic or strong you are, if you don't have the experience, the other wrestler will win. That is why I love this sport....And I played them all. You can take a strong and athletic kid and teach him the game of football for a month and he can be successful (depending on position of course), you can take a kid who is extremely fast and show him proper technique in track and field and he will have success, but you can't just pull a kid and teach him how to wrestle for a month and expect him to beat guys that have been wrestling for 5 plus years. Every great wrestler has taken their fair share of ass kickings (myself.included) and use it to gauge where they are and use it as fuel in practice.

And yes Mike, the seeding meeting shall be fun! I'll be the guy in the back with the occasional hand raise shaking my head lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT