ADVERTISEMENT

Ref Shortage?

Jan 30, 2022
I have heard that the season might be delayed due to a ref shortage in the state. Has anyone heard more information on this??? Would be a real shame if this is true

heard it was not a shortage, but DIAA did not get the increases approved that everyone agreed to, their meetings ended because they lost their quorum

And it effects all high school sports (officials) not just football

What do you mean? They weren’t paying them enough?
It's not the amount the officials are to be paid. The state's athletic directors, officials associations and DIAA executive director agreed to a 5-year fee structure, and the DIAA board approved that agreement in March. Somewhere along the line, it appears the state board of education overrode that agreement, and none of the officials has a contract for the upcoming year in any sport. Mike Hart from the athletic directors' association lays it out in this letter: https://fvacg197xz747ur7h3vi44up-wp...wvWECuyp2g75VJxkVX3FX_fQtUlmpbkdwHqAXsJ_05NCk

It's not the amount the officials are to be paid. The state's athletic directors, officials associations and DIAA executive director agreed to a 5-year fee structure, and the DIAA board approved that agreement in March. Somewhere along the line, it appears the state board of education overrode that agreement, and none of the officials has a contract for the upcoming year in any sport. Mike Hart from the athletic directors' association lays it out in this letter: https://fvacg197xz747ur7h3vi44up-wp...wvWECuyp2g75VJxkVX3FX_fQtUlmpbkdwHqAXsJ_05NCk
I assume this will get resolved soon? This was probably just a logistical error

I assume this will get resolved soon? This was probably just a logistical error
I wouldn't assume anything with the state board of ed. If the board insists on one-year deals, and the officials are digging in for 5, it could be a while.

Reactions: 84rider
Agenda posted.. another long one, let's see if they can make it past two items before they lose the quorum this time..

meeting link
https://de-doe.webex.com/de-doe/j.php?RGID=r85bbc1ffed0fd081c41998681656dd4f

Agenda

I. Opening
A. Call to Order
B. Roll Call
C. Approval of Agenda
D. Approval of Minutes of DIAA July 14, 2022 Board Meeting
E. Approval of Minutes of DIAA July 14, 2022 Executive Session Meeting
F. DIAA Financial Report

II. Division of Public Health Update

III. Action Items
A. DIAA Regulations - Review Written Comments and Board Action
i. Repeal of Regulation 1006 Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association (DIAA)
ii. Repeal of sections of Regulation 1008 DIAA Junior High and Middle School Interscholastic Athletics
iii. Repeal of sections of Regulation 1009 DIAA High School Interscholastic Athletics
iv. Regulation 1024 DIAA Member Schools
v. Regulation 1034 Health and Safety Requirements
vi. Regulation 1035 In-Season Athletic Activities and Contact
vii. Regulation 1040 Out-of-Season and Summer Athletic Activities and Contact
viii. Regulation 1042 Coaches
ix. Regulation 1043 Officials

B. DIAA Regulations
i. Adoption of Regulation 1020 DIAA Board Procedures
ii. Adoption of Regulation 1021 DIAA Committees

C. DIAA Strategic Plan Update and Planning Session

D. Request to Waive Regulation 1009-2.4 (transfer waiver) by Concord High School Student – 2022-8-1*

E. Request to Waive Regulation 1009-2.7 (years of participation waiver) by Archmere Academy Student – 2022-8-2*

F. Request to Waive Regulation 1009-2.4 (transfer waiver) by Red Lion Christian Academy – 2022-8-3*

G. Request to Waive Regulation 1009-2.4 (hardship transfer waiver) by Red Lion Christian Academy – 2022-8-4* *The Board intends to move into executive session to discuss the contents of a pupil file, the disclosure of which would constitute an invasion of personal privacy.

H. Request to Allow Eighth Grade Participants at the High School Level – Regulation 1009 2.7.5
i. Early College School
ii. Red Lion Christian Academy
iii. Mount Sophia Academy

I. Racial Discrimination in Delaware Football Officiating Compliant DIAA Board of Directors' Meeting Thursday, August 11, 2022 – 9:00 A.M. Virtual Meeting*

J. DIAA Selection of NFHS Weight Classes Established in High Schools

K. Procedures for Processing Request to Change Football Classifications

L. DIAA Board of Directors Annual Elections of Chair and Vice-Chair Positions

M. DIAA Board of Directors Committee Designation – Regulation 1006-3.2.2.3.1

N. Approval of Executive Director’s and committee chairpersons’ recommendations and appointment or reappointment of DIAA committee members – Regulation 1006-3.2
i. Regulation 1006 3.2.2.6 – Appointment of Sportsmanship Committee Chairperson

O. Approval of Sanction Events

P. Recognition of 2020-21 DIAA Board Members

Q. Approval of DIAA 2022-2023 Budget

IV. DIAA Tournament Reports
A. Girls Lacrosse Committee
B. Girls Soccer
C. Golf Committee
D. Unified Sports Committee – Track & Field
E. Softball Committee
F. Baseball Committee
G. Tennis Committee

V. DIAA Committee Meeting Minutes
A. DIAA Girls Lacrosse Committee Meeting – May 15, 2022
B. DIAA Girls Soccer Committee Meeting – May 18, 2022
C. DIAA Girls Soccer Committee Meeting – June 8, 2022
D. DIAA Girls Lacrosse Committee Meeting – June 15, 2022

VI. Executive Director’s Report
A. Summary Report
i. 2022 Harry Roberts Scholarship Winners
ii. 2021-2022 Dale Farmer Sportsmanship Winners
iii. DIAA 2021-22 Sportsmanship Report
iv. Name, Image and Likeness

B. Delaware General Assembly Updates
i. Bills
1. SB 227
2. HB 199
3. HB 457
ii. Title IX Recognition on 6/29

You can look up the bills here just type the bill# in the search

C. Fair Play for Women Act of 2022 D. DIAA Correspondence Received
i. Email Received from Delaware Interscholastic Officials Council Representatives
ii. Email Received Middletown Football Complaint – Residency
iii. Email Received Middletown Football – Years of Participation

iv. Title IX Training Opportunity

VII. Other Items for Discussion Only
A. Tournament Seeding Criteria
B. Name, Image and Likeness Update and SB 297
C. DIAA Sport Seasons Start Dates

Last edited:
I am calling it now. We will only have varsity sports in the near future. With the ref shortages and lack of bus drivers it going to happen. I saw a great meme today too about teacher shortages. So many teachers left education during covid thst before long classes will be 40 plus to a class with unqualified teachers because who wants to deal with “Karen’s” of the world bashing you ever chance they get.
Good luck world we are headed in the wrong direction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT