ADVERTISEMENT

Sanford Prep

Dropping 3's

All-Conference
Jan 7, 2009
High profile opening. Who will become the new coach? I'm sure they will have plenty of qualified applicants.

I've known Stan my entire life, covered him extensively as an adult - if anybody can handle the challenge of making Del State men's hoops relevant once again, he's the guy. That said, I would NOT want to be the guy to fill his shoes at Sanford, I mean his name is on the court for crying out loud. That said, Trevor Cooney would be a good choice, as is Logan Herring, who's already on the staff.

Would Cooney leave BPG, or would he be able to work the coaching schedule into his job there? Does he want to be the guy who follows Stan? In general, that has not worked out too well for the successor, at least on the college level. However, Trevor knows the school and the people, and he would likely get the talent to keep coming.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
Would Cooney leave BPG, or would he be able to work the coaching schedule into his job there? Does he want to be the guy who follows Stan? In general, that has not worked out too well for the successor, at least on the college level. However, Trevor knows the school and the people, and he would likely get the talent to keep coming.
Good question regarding Cooney, I don't know him closely to even know if he has interest. If he does, thinking he would remain at BPG if schedule allows to be HC. He would certainly keep the talent coming.

Here's a thought. Does Sanford girls coach Marcus Thompson who's won chips have interest to slide over to coach the boys?

Very good question. Marcus was Sanford's first homegrown star on the boys' side and I think that would be a neat thing for him personally, to be able to say he led both the boys and girls teams at his alma mater to state championships. Not sure if it happens though because this group of girls he has now is good for the next two state titles and I doubt he wants to leave them behind.

Here’s another thought that just occurred to me. Is this job really all that attractive? If you were a ballplayer, the program was attractive as hell, because of Stan and his involvement with USA basketball and his relationships with big time college coaches. With Stan gone, is there a huge incentive for big time youth ballers to go there?

Stan is an icon, true....but they Sanford state titles with Jackson and Shumosic. Hell, they were good decades ago with Billy Hoy as coach before the state tournament started. Of course, they will take a step back this year.

Like gate, I have known Coach for decades. This is a move that tells you something about Dr. Tony Allen and his leadership at DSU. It‘s about establishing program credibility in the MEAC. Look for Stan to hone in on some Delaware kids...

Stan is an icon, true....but they Sanford state titles with Jackson and Shumosic. Hell, they were good decades ago with Billy Hoy as coach before the state tournament started. Of course, they will take a step back this year.

Like gate, I have known Coach for decades. This is a move that tells you something about Dr. Tony Allen and his leadership at DSU. It‘s about establishing program credibility in the MEAC. Look for Stan to hone in on some Delaware kids...
Or possibly preparing for a move. Each MEAC school has until June 30th to announce any particular moves and with the MEAC reduced to a shell now that FAMU/Bethune/A&T are gone, might be time for DSU to restart that decade long flirtation with the Northeast Conference.

Or possibly preparing for a move. Each MEAC school has until June 30th to announce any particular moves and with the MEAC reduced to a shell now that FAMU/Bethune/A&T are gone, might be time for DSU to restart that decade long flirtation with the Northeast Conference.
Not saying it won’t happen, but what does DSU offer the NEC?

Not saying it won’t happen, but what does DSU offer the NEC?

DSU's the only MEAC school with women's lax and women's soccer, plus the bowling program is always competitive. In short, the programs we take for granted or aren't money makers. Still think they could be competitive in football and basketball in that conference with the proper resources, but as has been the case, that's the problem for DSU.

Fran Forest could be considered too. Use to coach back in the day at Delcastle and has been an Asst for many years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT