ADVERTISEMENT

State championship updates

2 RBI single by Tyler Juhl puts CA up 2-0 top of 2.. runners at 1st and 2nd no outs

** copy paste of Brad Meyers tweets**

Beautiful curveball by Cory Hart of Caravel nicks outside corner for called third strike to end inning. Caravel leads 2-0 top 3rd

"SPECTACULAR diving catch by St. Mark's CF Calvin Scott, then Tommy Freeland throws out base stealer at 3rd. Caravel 2-0 bottom 3rd"

according to Mr Brad Meyers via twitter
tongue.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 6/1 3:56 PM by ravensrooster2

"St. Mark's hits four straight grounders to Caravel 3B Hunter Ellis - one hit and three outs. Caravel leads 2-0 going into top 4th"

again courtesy of Brad Meyers via Twitter

This post was edited on 6/1 4:05 PM by ravensrooster2

"Caravel gets 1 hit but no runs in 4th. Caravel leads 2-0 going into bottom 4th"

done with the obligatory citations..lol

"St. Mark's runners at 1st and 2nd with 2 out now. Can Caravel get out of another jam? BM

"Caravel's Cory Hart gets a check-swing strikeout to end inning. St. Mark's has stranded 9 runners, trails 2-0 top 5th" BM

"Caravel goes down 1-2-3 in top of 5th, still leads St. Mark's 2-0 going into bottom of 5th" BM

Corey Hart (CAR) - 4IP, 4H, 2BB, 2HP, 5K
Billy Phlilips (SM) - 5IP, 6H, 2R (1ER), 0BB, 3K

courtesy of Sean Greene WDEL

"Caravel gets out of jam again with a rare 5-3-5 double play, takes 2-0 lead into top of 6th: BM

"Double by Ryan Zwier, single by Brandon Fraley puts Caravel runners at the corners with no out in top 6th"

"Hunter Ellis hit by pitch with bases loaded scores run for Caravel, which now leads 3-0 and still has bases loaded, one out"

"Darnell Savage bounces 2-run single up the middle. Caravel lead up to 5-0, runners 1st and 2nd, one out top 6th"

BM

"Brendan Erne rips 2-run double to wall in right-center. Caravel sends 10 men to plate in top 6th, scores 6 runs to push lead to 8-0" BM

"Caravel still leads 8-0 going into top 7th. Ethan Brancato now pitching for St. Mark's" BM

"Caravel three outs away from state title, leading St. Mark's 8-0 going into bottom of 7th" BM

"Caravel 8, St. Mark's 0, FINAL. Caravel wins its fourth DIAA state baseball championship" BM

Congrats to the Caravel Buccaneers State Champs!!!

"Corey Hart complete game SO. Highlights on http://WDEL.com " SG WDEL

FYI... Corey Hart has signed with Long Island University Brooklyn Blackbirds

Outstanding performance today Corey... WTG! out kid

This post was edited on 6/1 5:24 PM by ravensrooster2

Thanks for the update RR2. Not surprised by the outcome, a bit surprised by the blowout.

8 based on what I can tell the game was closer then the score line indicated.

My only problem is the kid from Caravel throwing 127 pitches. That is a ridiculous amount, no matter how much rest he had going into that game.

Hell pro pitchers barely get over 100 & they are adults. Let alone kids in hs throwing 127. I think Coach Niggebrugge should be suspended or put on written performance for putting his kids arm at risk.

No thats not me not liking private schools...in fact, I dont mind private schools but cant stand Sallies.

Originally posted by UDFootballFan:

8 based on what I can tell the game was closer then the score line indicated.

My only problem is the kid from Caravel throwing 127 pitches. That is a ridiculous amount, no matter how much rest he had going into that game.

Hell pro pitchers barely get over 100 & they are adults. Let alone kids in hs throwing 127. I think Coach Niggebrugge should be suspended or put on written performance for putting his kids arm at risk.

No thats not me not liking private schools...in fact, I dont mind private schools but cant stand Sallies.
I would bet the kid from AI threw more on Saturday. He pitched 9 innings.

There was an article in Sundays paper that talked about pitchers dropping in the MLB draft because they threw too much. Pro teams are starting to monitor pitch counts of potential draft choices.

127 pitches does seem like a lot. I am of the belief that rest plays a major role. I am more concerned with some of these travel ball pitchers throwing 55 pitches on Saturday and then coming back and throwing 85 on Sunday. Then repeating the samre scenario the next weekend.

Side sessions? Long toss? Did Nolan Ryan ever do these things? I don't know. Seems like durability of pitchers arms has regressed over the years.
This post was edited on 6/3 7:24 AM by truthserumm&ms2

Originally posted by truthserumm&ms2:

Did Nolan Ryan ever do these things?
Once saw an interview where Nolan was asked what was the most pitches he ever threw in a game. He said that on numerous occasions he through 165-170 pitches in a game, a few times he went over 200. Doesn't make it right. That guy was one of a kind.

UDfootballfan- I suspect you are a Spartan masquerading in a YOUDEE costume .

Past Chief - Not sure where that statement comes from?? Does "Past chief" come from being a former Senator?

Coach Nick keeps a very close eye on pitch counts. The thought that he would put one of his players in jeopardy is absurd. His pitchers spend valuable practice time going through physical fitness and stretching drills. As well as discussing mental aspects of being on the mound. CA pitchers are better equipped physically, than any in the state.

UD-If you want coaches suspended you had better put Coach Nick at the bottom of that list, for example
2013 Appo - Silvestri - 160+ against Caravel
2014 Hodgson-Walter 107 against Caravel
St. M Phillips 100+
Smyrna - Richardson 124 against Caravel
Sallies - Hinton 100+ IN the first game of the year!
This list could go on and on if I wanted to keep researching

Jason Billous only went to 100 twice all regular season
Cory Hart did not go over 100 all regular season

The first few weeks of the season no pitcher exceeded 60 and it was not until late in the year anyone even came close to 100.

Come'on man.....

Calcult...point taken. One I respect the hell out of St Marks and their programs...baseball, soccer & football.

Two, I think any coach who allows kids to throw 100+ should be suspended IMO. High school don't have an over abudance of pitchers but the risk of hurting one can hurt the team.

Crazy stats...wonder who was keeping them though

Originally posted by CACULT:

Sallies - Hinton 100+ IN the first game of the year!
That's absurd in the first game, likely in cold temperatures. What kind of season did he Hinton have after that first game?

This post was edited on 6/4 6:10 AM by 8yaz

Not sure if it was arm problems b/c he was at short, but Hinton didn't pitch in the playoffs for Sals and his name was absent from the boxscores I saw in the week or two leading up to it.

127 is a lot, but if he has been building his arm up all year and hasn't been exposed to ridiculous pitch counts all season then playing in the state championship and finishing up with that number isn't as concerning as coaches that put that stress on the arm in cold weather, early in the season or multiple times in a short period of time.

Hopefully Hart shows no ill effects of that number, but knowing a little bit about that program I do know that as CAcult said they spend a lot of time stretching and strengthening with more than just the standard long toss or BP sessions that most coaches rely on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT