ADVERTISEMENT

State Individual finals

There were some great matches last night and lots of excitement. The tension and cheering from the stands was pretty intense at times. Overall I preferred the experience and closeness to the mat at Cape Henlopen. Dover is a very nice school but some bleachers were really far from the action. Other than that, congratulations to all the wrestlers that competed and took home a state title.

There were some great matches last night and lots of excitement. The tension and cheering from the stands was pretty intense at times. Overall I preferred the experience and closeness to the mat at Cape Henlopen. Dover is a very nice school but some bleachers were really far from the action. Other than that, congratulations to all the wrestlers that competed and took home a state title.
I wasn't there Friday but I thought things were good Saturday. I did feel that the mat was far away and a little isolated for the finals. But that may have been a good thing to counter instruction yelling Dads like me!

Overall thoughts:

Too much disparity between Henlopen and everyone else. Someone with more time than me will put together the stats, but it was not as competitive as it could be.

195 was pathetic. I guess being dominant should be rewarded, but it seemed to me that the only people in that weight class were kids that didn't want to be. Let me be clear, Tony is a dominant wrestler. How do we keep his bracket competitive? The conversation on this site, and in the Dover gym, was that it was a race to win 2nd. Sorry, but all the talk killed it for me.

120 was a great final. Natarcola earned it. Very well done Nate. The mental poise you showed was as impressive as your physical ability. On the same note, Cape (not the only team, but more glaring than others) has some SERIOUS behavioral/sportsmanship issues that need to be dealt with (120, 152, 170). Let's stop acting as though this is ok. It's not. Intentionally trying to hurt a kid is NOT okay. Running off the mat in a tantrum makes you and your team look horrible. A team point is a tear on a river. A disqualification is a better remedy...... imo.

126 final. All kids should be able to take a break in the heat of the moment if one can. At the very least, Charter should have gotten a point. Once the ref and coaches realized that the central kid wasn't hurt, they should have awarded charter a point. 2 seniors, and one didn't get a fair shake. Say whatever you want: if Muaka was your child, you would be torn. You would have to explain to him that, in life, sometimes no matter how good you are, even when you rise to the occasion when someone else can't , you still might not be good enough. That's life.

Its a small state, and I know it can be hard for everyone. Congrats to all of the wrestlers for a great season.

Other than that. Great tourney.

It seems as though everyone fled the 195 weight class this year. There were a handfull of excellent guys in 195 at the beginning of the season but they all left and or quit. Wuest wrestled Hudson, Clayton, miller, etc. at the beginning of the season at 195.

Reactions: SingleWingNut
It seems as though everyone fled the 195 weight class this year. There were a handfull of excellent guys in 195 at the beginning of the season but they all left and or quit. Wuest wrestled Hudson, Clayton, miller, etc. at the beginning of the season at 195.
Miller vs Wuest would have been interesting its shame about Joe's concussion
120 final i did not enjoy

Overall the officiating was great. As a state, I think we have a great crew of officials. There was one referee (No names Mentioned) that should not be officiating state finals (He should not have been officiating the dual meet finals either). He misses so many calls and he is the only assistant ref that I have had an issue with. His job as the assistant ref is to watch the clock. He watches the match as a spectator instead of an official. Besides that it was a great tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT