ADVERTISEMENT

To early for Baseball talk ?

Usual suspects...St. Mark's, Sallies and Caravel. Cape has 3 D1 Junior commits. Middletown has 8 out of 9 position players returning as well as the majority of its pitching staff from last year's semi finalist team. Appo, Dover and Smyrna should also be good.

Polytech and Cape watch out for both of them. Both Sussex Tech and Central won't have the usually years they have lost a good amount of kids. CR is in rebuild mode with the new coach. Smyrna should be decent if they can get Hendo back as well than that's even better for them. And for Dover always seem to be decent lost a lot including the player of the year. Good year for baseball!

not sure about years past but its nice to see the number of div. 1 commits coming out of Delaware ,seems to be a lot this coming season ?

Reactions: Agelof
I think the top contenders are the usual St Mark's & Caravel, but agree that Cape with the Erickson, Gelof and Elliot combo will be right there with them. Just behind them in my mind will be Appo and Middletown.

Sleeper as far as making the tournament and making some noise would be Newark Charter. Been playing good comp for a few years now, and i think this is the year they make a move. Don't think they will be there in the end, but with the right draw could win a couple tournament games. And going forward, they will be a problem.

A lot of D1 recruits means nothing, I would guess that probably 50% of those verbal commitments never make it on D1 rosters

Participation trophies for all lol, I get what ur saying urbaseballdaddy, it's always good to celebrate hard work. But a verbal commitment in baseball is not always what it seems. Just saying

Participation trophies for all lol, I get what ur saying urbaseballdaddy, it's always good to celebrate hard work. But a verbal commitment in baseball is not always what it seems. Just saying

Once they sign the NLI school is on the hook for the education at whatever percentage is agreed upon which means winning !!!!!!

Reactions: UMHS87
My top 5 (alphabetical):
Appo
Cape
Caravel
Middletown
St. Mark's

Next 7 (alphabetical):
DMA
Dover
Newark Charter
Poly
Sallies
Smyrna
Wilmington Christian

not sure about years past but its nice to see the number of div. 1 commits coming out of Delaware ,seems to be a lot this coming season ?

About the same as last year, and a couple of more than the class of 2015. Like 84rider says, some will never make the roster of the team they commit to (for a variety of reasons), but most will play college baseball somewhere... for some amount of time. I'm just glad that so many high school ballplayers are interested in playing in college. It's definitely not for everyone, but it can be a great experience for many.

Mount Pleasant has 8 seniors this year and a couple talented underclassmen. I think they may give some teams a run for their money this year.

Once they sign the NLI school is on the hook for the education at whatever percentage is agreed upon which means winning !!!!!!
FYI the school is only on the hook for one year once a NLI is signed. During That one year obligation, the school is obligated to 25% of the tuition (if I'm not mistaken). This is where it gets tricky, after that 1st yr if the student athlete transfers he/she may have to sit out 1 yr. it's been many many moons ago since I looked in to this topic, please correct me if I'm wrong

(1) Varsity Rosters may include junior varsity, redshirt, reserve and/or practice squad players and do not reflect club or intramural team participants. ** Do the Math! The average NCAA Division I baseball team has a roster of 35 players but only a maximum of 11.7 athletic scholarships available. This means the average award covers only about 1/3 of annual college costs and this assumes the sport is fully funded at the sponsoring school. Baseball is an equivalency sport for NCAA scholarship purposes, so partial scholarships can be awarded to meet the NCAA limit per school. For example, an NCAA Division II school can award 27 baseball players each a 1/3 equivalent scholarship and still meet the limit of 9. For more information see our page on scholarship limits.

(2) Average Athletic Scholarship is the average award per athlete for ALL varsity sports sponsored by the specific school. Some athletes receive full awards, some receive partial and many receive none. Additionally some sports within a school may be fully funded, some partially and some sports provide no athletic scholarships. Private schools generally have higher tuition than public schools and the average award will reflect this.

@urbaseballdaddy, this is why I said D1 commitments don't mean a lot, I wasn't trying to undermine the student athletes who work their tails off. I definitely respect their work. We tend to put a lot of emphasis on D1 commitments without understanding exactly what it means, just sharing

(1) Varsity Rosters may include junior varsity, redshirt, reserve and/or practice squad players and do not reflect club or intramural team participants. ** Do the Math! The average NCAA Division I baseball team has a roster of 35 players but only a maximum of 11.7 athletic scholarships available. This means the average award covers only about 1/3 of annual college costs and this assumes the sport is fully funded at the sponsoring school. Baseball is an equivalency sport for NCAA scholarship purposes, so partial scholarships can be awarded to meet the NCAA limit per school. For example, an NCAA Division II school can award 27 baseball players each a 1/3 equivalent scholarship and still meet the limit of 9. For more information see our page on scholarship limits.

(2) Average Athletic Scholarship is the average award per athlete for ALL varsity sports sponsored by the specific school. Some athletes receive full awards, some receive partial and many receive none. Additionally some sports within a school may be fully funded, some partially and some sports provide no athletic scholarships. Private schools generally have higher tuition than public schools and the average award will reflect this.

This has nothing to do with making the team once you get there , what am I missing ?

Cause all of our D1 commitments will make the team when they get there, I wish that was true ,for the kids sake but the reality is most won't. No need to feel sorry for me, I do pretty good, just keeping it real

Cause all of our D1 commitments will make the team when they get there, I wish that was true for the kids sake but the reality is most won't. No need to feel sorry for me, I do pretty good, just keeping it real

This makes no sense ! Who said they will all make the team once they get there , wasn't me !

Not sure how many scholarships came with all the commits but Iam pretty sure colleges aren't just giving them away to kids they don't intend to play.Since they only get 11.7 a year and 35 kids on roster ?

Reactions: Agelof and 84rider
With the schedule RL hell yeah they'd be in the top 10. Lol those boys don't ever want too see the playoffs because lord knows they wouldn't be playing awful teams anymore. Look at the Central last year they had only lost one game but probably only played 2 decent teams.

84rider,

You are slinging the derogatory comments and for the most part other than the copy and paste you come off completely uninformed.

"D1 verbal committments don't mean a lot."
Your making an assertion like you know some hidden secret. Yes everyone knows verbals are non-binding. Yes everyone knows any scholarship situation whether Verbal, NLI or roster spot does not guarantee PT. However, they do mean something. Any college program let alone a top D1 program do not extend verbals like candy. If you disagree, how about this ... I'll take all the kids that have verbal commitments (now NLIs) in the State and you take non and let's play a 3 game series and see how well your team does. Sure there are some damn good players that for some reason (grades, lack of exposure or otherwise) will find your roster but good luck getting the hardcore all in kids with all the physical tools that throw 90 or hit bombs. No doubt there are some but I'll have more. Further, ask the players ... would you like to have a verbal scholarship offer (from fill in the D1 school) ... if you find a player that says "no thanks, they don't mean anything" you let me know.

Getting scholarship offers early is extremely competitive. Bad grades, poor work ethic, unathletic ... all knock a kid out. If some kid has a verbal commitment to a school it shows a genuine desire that the school believes they can be part of their program. Could things change .. sure. But generally you don't get in the game without a first step verbal.

If you look at the kids committed to D1s in Delaware and then a list of kids throwing 90mph you'll see a remarkable correlation. A bunch of 2017s just signed NLIs now look at the list and if they had prior verbals and where to ... surprise surprise again there is an incredible correlation. NLIs followed listed verbals. Wow! Now back to your "means nothing" assertion if this statistical corroboration (verbal to NLI) truly "means nothing" how about I punch you in the face every time they match up and you can get the ones in that don't. Then your face can tell the tale of "means nothing."

Ok to the math. Again look partner your 11.7 is no secret in these circles. You sound like a disgruntled hater. What did you or your kid never get a scholarship offer or get cut?

The fact of the matter is looking at players who have verbals is a good "where rubber hits road" assessment tool of talent. It means a college program with (as you point out) limited resources has given an indication it wishes to use those limited resources on a player. There are schools that sometimes verbal offer and a NLI never comes or get a player in the program and kid doesn't make travel roster BUT if a school does any of that let alone makes a practice of it ... you can bet your $ in a competitive world that info gets out and is used against that program in the recruiting circles. It sure will hurt that programs ability to lock up talent early in the future and the way the game is going that can kill a program. It also means a coach and a program at some level has felt comfortable associating their name to a player. Generally the programs represented on De's committed list do not back away from verbal offers.

All state, All Conference ... inescapable that politics come into play. My guy, your guy comparing apples to oranges of stats and strength of schedule. Still those are good measures of returning talent but If a college program selects kids because of politics or meaningless stats you can bet he's not gonna have a job for long. $ is where rubber hits road. Getting players who help a team win and or build its reputation by getting to the MLB is the $.

I have yet to see any kid hit field in this state in last 3-4 years that has a verbal going D1 (D2&D3 high level juco as well) that I didn't say the kid can play. I've seen just about every committed kid on this list play and I would take that D1 commitment as an assessment tool as much as anything you throw out. Again ton of kids that can play, All Conference, All state players that are not committed yet or will not go on to play in college. It's not a mandate to be a good player you must be going on to play in college or have a verbal ... the simple point where this started was that it's a valid assessment of returning talent.

Your point as best as I can gather is a little knowledge is a dangerous tool for someone that wants to pop off. And for whatever reason you are motivated to hate on what is a pool of really talented players.

Better luck next time you post. You certainly led to a spirited discussion.

You combine the list of 2017 commits and the 2018 commits you have a large percentage of the best players in the State. (Add in the Hardcastle kid bc I am sure throwing 91 as 2019 in Pg events he has his share of verbal offers)

What am I missing why the need to jump on urbaseballdaddy?

Last edited:
Wasn't coming off on who's your daddy, just stated the facts as I know them to be true, I clearly stated that it had been a long time since I looked into this topic and said correct me if I'm wrong. So your response was in protecting another poster. You don't have to answer but who's your daddy. Next time when someone states or asks to be corrected don't be azzzzz about it.

You have got to stop upsetting dads of early commits....you are smarter than that...lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT