ADVERTISEMENT

Top 30 Players in Delaware

May 14, 2019
Top 30 Players in Delaware - This list has been comprised with considerations to things such as team success, age, stats, position, strength of schedule, and the role that individual plays on their team. With the season coming to a close and playoffs coming up this is my reflection on this season so far and a preparation heading into the 2019 state playoffs. If there is people you think I have missed or people that should be higher/lower you can comment underneath. Here you go.

#1 - Logan Falconetti (Salesianum/Attack/12) - Salesianum’s leading point scorer, Falconetti’s role has changed over time during his four year tenure. Transforming from more of a shooter and passer in his underclassman years to becoming the quarterback of the offense he has adapted nicely into the role that was held previously by Hobbs and Drake before him. In an offense this year that has been heavily dominated by attackman scoring, Falconetti has been the head of this operation. With a two handed playing style and great passing ability, he uses his change of direction and speed to either score coming around the cage or to distribute the ball to the rest of Salesianum’s offense. Was held to his lowest point scoring game of the year versus Cape where he only took 2 shots, one coming in the last 30 seconds of the game. Look to see Cape slide to Falconetti and Santore extremely early if they happen to cross paths again, worked nicely in the first game. Heads to Lehigh next year, a team that loses all three senior attackmen. Could play with Andrew Pettit who tore his ACL this year and could redshirt to play his last year of eligibility.

#2 - Jack Dennis (Cape/Midfield/12) - Cape has been having a special year and Jack Dennis has been a lot of the pushing force behind it. 6’5” and a dual athlete for Cape as a football player, he has been lighting up the stat sheets as a scorer and a passer. A north-south dodger who is hard to stop once he gets going, he often gets to the middle of the field where he is able to capitalize. He uses his leverage and size to protect his stick and to make difficult shots with defenders right on him. Rumored to not have played in one of Cape’s two losses to Bullis. Must be guarded with size, would love to see Marion vs. Dennis matchup if they were to cross paths again. My favorite for Player of the Year with the season he has been having along with the success his team has been having. I think he will make an immediate impact next year when he heads to a very good Salisbury team that losses its top 4 senior midfielders after this year.

#3 - Tommy Bloom (Sanford/Attack/12) - Just breaking Andrew Pettit’s previously held scoring record Tommy Bloom is a quick and electric scorer who has been putting up big numbers all four years at Sanford. We have seen Sanford’s rise to become one of Delaware’s rising programs and this kid has been a huge part of it. Plays gritty and is tough on ground balls and riding which gives his team extra possessions. Plays with one of the top face-off kids in the state who can get him the ball back for more possession time. Excited that he will remain in Delaware to play for the Blue Hens at the next level.

#4 - Brad Santore (Salesianum/Midfield/12) - Even though he has not been putting up similar points as the other top players, he is in my mind the most valuable player between the lines, playing a role on both sides of the field. Excellent dodger from all spots on the field and Salesianum’s other main facilitator. Can play defense and is extremely hard to stop in the clear. Heads to the Penn State next year, a team that has been having a dominant year in college lacrosse. Hobbs has been seeing playing time this year, I think Santore could get time early because of his well roundedness as a lacrosse player.

#5 - Mitch Moyer (Archmere/Attack/12) - A strong righty that uses his frame well to protect his stick and can shoot with great force. An excellent football player, he is surprisingly fast for his size and will score if you do not slide to him. The centerpiece of an offensive dominant Archmere team. Will go to Columbia next year to play football, was previously committed to play lacrosse at Binghamton

#6 - Greg Boyce (Cape/Attack/12) - After not playing last year, Boyce who is an exceptional cross country runner, has added yet another piece to Cape’s offense this year. A fast lefty, Boyce can use his speed to run by defenders and make a play. Keeping his head up while he plays he often finds open cutters and skip passes through the defense. Has a nice underhand release point where he can put the ball in the back of the net in any spot.

#7 - Luke D’Ambrogi (Cape/Attack/12) - The son of Cape’s head coach Mark D’Ambrogi, Luke has been the quarterback of the Cape offense from a young age. This year as the quarterback of arguably the best offense in the state, he has been excellent playing with great poise and a lot of hustle for the extra plays like ground balls and riding. With a tremendous lacrosse IQ and a very slippery lefty play style Luke generates points for his team as a scorer, passer, and dodger. Has had a great career for Cape and will get high honors for all state this year, wouldn’t be surprised if he was named an All American.

#8 - Connor Garrison (Appo/Attack/11) - One of the younger kids in the top 10, Garrison reminds me a lot of a box lacrosse player. With a strong frame and a one handed playing style, Garrison is a crafty attackman who can both pass and shoot while defenders are draped all over him. Known to make low angle shots and highlight reel plays, he is one of my favorite players to watch. Only a junior and my favorite for the Player of the Year next year.

#9 - Cole Hiller (Tatnall/Goalie/12) - A great ball stopper and clearer, Cole has separated himself as the top goalie in the state along with helping his team to a 12-1 season so far. Since picking up second team all-state honors last year, only behind Brady Emmi, he has done nothing but improve his game. Will head to Roanoke next year to play lacrosse where their starting goalie will be a senior next year.

#10 - Matt Riley (Salesianum/FO/10) - After last year when Salesianum’s face-off position was in question, Matt Riley has used the critics as motivation, making his mark at the X this year. With a high face-off percentage and a nonstop motor Riley has been a man on a mission this year even against the big teams that Salesianum has faced. If he gets stuck on the field he can be used if needed, on both ends of the field as a defensive middie and an offensive player in some inverts with Falconetti and Santore. Placing 2nd at a highly reputable face-off showcase, only a sophomore, Riley has a promising future for the Sals.

#11 - Cam Marion (Salesianum/Defense/11)
#12 - Cole Bauer (Archmere/Midfield/12)
#13 - Nick Redd (Friends/LSM/11)
#14 - Matt Prestipino (Cape/Defense/12)
#15 - Sean Wooleyhand (CR/Midfield/11)
#16 - Brady McGovern (Salesianum/Attack/11)
#17 - Max Myers (Middletown/Attack/12)
#18 - Gabe Best (Cape/Attack/10)
#19 - Evan McCleary (CR/LSM/12)
#20 - Tim Lucky (Sanford/FO/10)

#21 - Jamison Young (Caravel/Attack/12)
#22 - Colin Kennedy (Salesianum/Defense/11)
#23 - Brett Wilkinson (Tatnall/Attack&Midfield/11)
#24 - Jake Stant (CR/Goalie/12)
#25 - Thomas Gill (Dover/Attack/12)
#26 - Baxter Travers (Cape/Goalie/11)
#27 - Adem Tekman (Cape/Midfield/12)
#28 - Chris Wong (Salesianum/Attack/10)
#29 - Billy Ott (Cape/LSM/12)
#30 - Chad Cannon (Salesianum/Midfield/12)

Honorable Mention

Paul Army (Appo/Defense/11)

Logan Bushweller (Salesianum/Midfield/12)

Kade Collins (Lake Forest/Attack/11)

Andre Currie (Cape/Midfield/11)

Zach Davis (CR/Midfield/12)

Jonathon Gaglione (Milford/Midfield/12)

Matteo Gariffo (Salesianum/FO/11)

Josh Gilbert (DMA/LSM/11)

Mason Griffith (Salesianum/Defense/10)

Myles Lawrence (CR/Defense/12)

Devon Lucky (Sanford/Attack&Midfield/9)

Jake Marchiafava (Salesianum/Goalie/11)

Demetrius Martin (Dover/Midfield/11)

Hunter McGuire (Smryna/Attack/11)

Beau Neff (Tatnall/Midfield/12)

Jackson Phillips (CR/Defense/11)

Dom Rottura (Salesianum/LSM/10)

Dante Trader (Delmar/Midfield/10)

Hunter Wolhar (Appo/Midfield/11)

Injured - I wish both these kids a healthy recovery and hope they are both able to play next year in college. Two great players and even better young men.

Peyton McNeill - A strong and athletic dodging midfielder, McNeill’s senior season was brought to an end and will remain out the rest of the year. Has been a main player in the Wilmington friends offense since a freshman. If he remained healthy and played the year I would have predicted him to be around the #5 or #6 position. Will head to Lafayette next year to play lacrosse.

Colin Fowler - In my opinion the best defensemen in the state, a returning All-American from 2018. A fundamental down low defensemen, Fowler used his size and good footwork to be a lockdown defensemen for Salesianum all of last year. Tore his ACL in the Appo game and will not return this year. Would be in the top 3 if remained healthy, even in a year dominated by offensive players.

Last edited:
Top 30 Players in Delaware - This list has been comprised with considerations to things such as team success, age, stats, position, strength of schedule, and the role that individual plays on their team. With the season coming to a close and playoffs coming up this is my reflection on this season so far and a preparation heading into the 2019 state playoffs. If there is people you think I have missed or people that should be higher/lower you can comment underneath. Here you go.

#1 - Logan Falconetti (Salesianum/Attack/12) - Salesianum’s leading point scorer, Falconetti’s role has changed over time during his four year tenure. Transforming from more of a shooter and passer in his underclassman years to becoming the quarterback of the offense he has adapted nicely into the role that was held previously by Hobbs and Drake before him. In an offense this year that has been heavily dominated by attackman scoring, Falconetti has been the head of this operation. With a two handed playing style and great passing ability, he uses his change of direction and speed to either score coming around the cage or to distribute the ball to the rest of Salesianum’s offense. Was held to his lowest point scoring game of the year versus Cape where he only took 2 shots, one coming in the last 30 seconds of the game. Look to see Cape slide to Falconetti and Santore extremely early if they happen to cross paths again, worked nicely in the first game. Heads to Lehigh next year, a team that loses all three senior attackmen. Could play with Andrew Pettit who tore his ACL this year and could redshirt to play his last year of eligibility.

#2 - Jack Dennis (Cape/Midfield/12) - Cape has been having a special year and Jack Dennis has been a lot of the pushing force behind it. 6’5” and a dual athlete for Cape as a football player, he has been lighting up the stat sheets as a scorer and a passer. A north-south dodger who is hard to stop once he gets going, he often gets to the middle of the field where he is able to capitalize. He uses his leverage and size to protect his stick and to make difficult shots with defenders right on him. Rumored to not have played in one of Cape’s two losses to Bullis. Must be guarded with size, would love to see Marion vs. Dennis matchup if they were to cross paths again. My favorite for Player of the Year with the season he has been having along with the success his team has been having. I think he will make an immediate impact next year when he heads to a very good Salisbury team that losses its top 4 senior midfielders after this year.

#3 - Tommy Bloom (Sanford/Attack/12) - Just breaking Andrew Pettit’s previously held scoring record Tommy Bloom is a quick and electric scorer who has been putting up big numbers all four years at Sanford. We have seen Sanford’s rise to become one of Delaware’s rising programs and this kid has been a huge part of it. Plays gritty and is tough on ground balls and riding which gives his team extra possessions. Plays with one of the top face-off kids in the state who can get him the ball back for more possession time. Excited that he will remain in Delaware to play for the Blue Hens at the next level.

#4 - Brad Santore (Salesianum/Midfield/12) - Even though he has not been putting up similar points as the other top players, he is in my mind the most valuable player between the lines, playing a role on both sides of the field. Excellent dodger from all spots on the field and Salesianum’s other main facilitator. Can play defense and is extremely hard to stop in the clear. Heads to the Penn State next year, a team that has been having a dominant year in college lacrosse. Hobbs has been seeing playing time this year, I think Santore could get time early because of his well roundedness as a lacrosse player.

#5 - Mitch Moyer (Archmere/Attack/12) - A strong righty that uses his frame well to protect his stick and can shoot with great force. An excellent football player, he is surprisingly fast for his size and will score if you do not slide to him. The centerpiece of an offensive dominant Archmere team. Will go to Columbia next year to play football, was previously committed to play lacrosse at Binghamton

#6 - Greg Boyce (Cape/Attack/12) - After not playing last year, Boyce who is an exceptional cross country runner, has added yet another piece to Cape’s offense this year. A fast lefty, Boyce can use his speed to run by defenders and make a play. Keeping his head up while he plays he often finds open cutters and skip passes through the defense. Has a nice underhand release point where he can put the ball in the back of the net in any spot.

#7 - Luke D’Ambrogi (Cape/Attack/12) - The son of Cape’s head coach Mark D’Ambrogi, Luke has been the quarterback of the Cape offense from a young age. This year as the quarterback of arguably the best offense in the state, he has been excellent playing with great poise and a lot of hustle for the extra plays like ground balls and riding. With a tremendous lacrosse IQ and a very slippery lefty play style Luke generates points for his team as a scorer, passer, and dodger. Has had a great career for Cape and will get high honors for all state this year, wouldn’t be surprised if he was named an All American.

#8 - Connor Garrison (Appo/Attack/11) - One of the younger kids in the top 10, Garrison reminds me a lot of a box lacrosse player. With a strong frame and a one handed playing style, Garrison is a crafty attackman who can both pass and shoot while defenders are draped all over him. Known to make low angle shots and highlight reel plays, he is one of my favorite players to watch. Only a junior and my favorite for the Player of the Year next year.

#9 - Cole Hiller (Tatnall/Goalie/12) - A great ball stopper and clearer, Cole has separated himself as the top goalie in the state along with helping his team to a 12-1 season so far. Since picking up second team all-state honors last year, only behind Brady Emmi, he has done nothing but improve his game. Will head to Roanoke next year to play lacrosse where their starting goalie will be a senior next year.

#10 - Matt Riley (Salesianum/FO/10) - After last year when Salesianum’s face-off position was in question, Matt Riley has used the critics as motivation, making his mark at the X this year. With a high face-off percentage and a nonstop motor Riley has been a man on a mission this year even against the big teams that Salesianum has faced. If he gets stuck on the field he can be used if needed, on both ends of the field as a defensive middie and an offensive player in some inverts with Falconetti and Santore. Placing 2nd at a highly reputable face-off showcase, only a sophomore, Riley has a promising future for the Sals.

#11 - Cam Marion (Salesianum/Defense/11)
#12 - Cole Bauer (Archmere/Midfield/12)
#13 - Nick Redd (Friends/LSM/11)
#14 - Matt Prestipino (Cape/Defense/12)
#15 - Sean Wooleyhand (CR/Midfield/11)
#16 - Brady McGovern (Salesianum/Attack/11)
#17 - Max Myers (Middletown/Attack/12)
#18 - Gabe Best (Cape/Attack/10)
#19 - Evan McCleary (CR/LSM/12)
#20 - Tim Lucky (Sanford/FO/10)

#21 - Jamison Young (Caravel/Attack/12)
#22 - Colin Kennedy (Salesianum/Defense/11)
#23 - Brett Wilkinson (Tatnall/Attack&Midfield/11)
#24 - Jake Stant (CR/Goalie/12)
#25 - Thomas Gill (Dover/Attack/12)
#26 - Baxter Travers (Cape/Goalie/11)
#27 - Adem Tekman (Cape/Midfield/12)
#28 - Chris Wong (Salesianum/Attack/10)
#29 - Billy Ott (Cape/LSM/12)
#30 - Chad Cannon (Salesianum/Midfield/12)

Honorable Mention

Paul Army (Appo/Defense/11)

Logan Bushweller (Salesianum/Midfield/12)

Kade Collins (Lake Forest/Attack/11)

Andre Currie (Cape/Midfield/11)

Zach Davis (CR/Midfield/12)

Jonathon Gaglione (Milford/Midfield/12)

Matteo Gariffo (Salesianum/FO/11)

Josh Gilbert (DMA/LSM/11)

Mason Griffith (Salesianum/Defense/10)

Myles Lawrence (CR/Defense/12)

Devon Lucky (Sanford/Attack&Midfield/9)

Jake Marchiafava (Salesianum/Goalie/11)

Demetrius Martin (Dover/Midfield/11)

Hunter McGuire (Smryna/Attack/11)

Beau Neff (Tatnall/Midfield/12)

Jackson Phillips (CR/Defense/11)

Dom Rottura (Salesianum/LSM/10)

Dante Trader (Delmar/Midfield/10)

Hunter Wolhar (Appo/Midfield/11)

Injured - I wish both these kids a healthy recovery and hope they are both able to play next year in college. Two great players and even better young men.

Peyton McNeill - A strong and athletic dodging midfielder, McNeill’s senior season was brought to an end and will remain out the rest of the year. Has been a main player in the Wilmington friends offense since a freshman. If he remained healthy and played the year I would have predicted him to be around the #5 or #6 position. Will head to Lafayette next year to play lacrosse.

Colin Fowler - In my opinion the best defensemen in the state, a returning All-American from 2018. A fundamental down low defensemen, Fowler used his size and good footwork to be a lockdown defensemen for Salesianum all of last year. Tore his ACL in the Appo game and will not return this year. Would be in the top 3 if remained healthy, even in a year dominated by offensive players.

Good list. Would probably change a few around but overall very solid.

Seems to be JR/SR talent heavy and missing some of the younger players in the state:

Brendan Hickey / Tower Hill - probably TH best player
Connor Udovich / Archmere - will be better then his brother
Max Ruggerio / DMA - Good FOGO and scores a ton
Colin Campbell / Sanford - Might be there top scorer? Great player.
Xander Baugess / Sanford - Good D pole that gets overlooked
Aiden Groves / Appo - Their best D pole and top 3 player on team

Great list and really good work.
Id move luke D up and falconetti down. I really like moyer and mcneil.

Totally agree, great list. Agreed its a little slanted towards jr/sr
Three young guys that definitely could/should be on the list.

Brendan Hickey - TH - kid is a stud, TH's top scorer, he will be a force in the coming years
Devon Lucky - Sanford - the way sanford has been playing, hard not to add this kid to the list, great player
Colin Campell - Sanford - new addition to sanford's team, kid knows how to play and it shows

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT