ADVERTISEMENT

TOURNEY - 1st Round May 24, 2018 - Central/Concord

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
#19 Sussex Central (10-8) @ #14 Concord (12-6). These two didn’t play each other this year.

Central had an up and down season. They started 4-0 with wins over Tech and Delmar in there. Then lost 3 straight to CR (5-4), Cape (13-1) and Dover (3-1). They reeled off 5 straight wins over mostly lesser teams…then lost 2 straight to Milford and Caravel. They beat a weaker Woodbridge team 5-1, then lost 6-2 to IR. They pull off a win over Sallies 6-5, but then get trounced by Poly in their last game 13-3. Not sure what to make of them. They are only averaging 5 runs per game but only allowing 4 runs per game. Collins and Hollenbach have pitched well. Central is no stranger to the post season. They have made it 28 times now and amassed a 19-25 record. They have won the championship once, in 1989. And lost the championship more recently in 2009. They have faced Concord 3 other times in the tourney, but they were in 1981losing the Semis, in 1985 beating them in the first round and winning in the 1989 quarters on the way to their championship.

I’m not sure what to make of Concord. At 12-6 they ended up with a great season. But they are 1-6 against this years playoff teams. They lost their first game to Archmere 5-4, then to Mtown 3-0. They squeak one out against St E 5-3. Then they beat Friends 13-11 and Ai 15-11. Lose a close one to Appo 6-4. Then plaster MOT, MT P and Sanford outscoring them 44-9. Lost a close one to Hodgson 6-2. Beat Dickinson, Delcastle and Bwine 35-4 combined. Lose to Wm Penn 8-2. Then beat Mckean, Charter and Newark. Only to lose the finale 6-5 against St Georges. You might thinking that they are only beating the weaker teams…but I would argue they are beating them up and playing the good teams really well. Concord has scored 153 runs (just under 9 per game) and have allowed 85…but 22 were against Friends and A.I. Concord has made it to 18 post seasons now and have a 10-15 record. Concord won championships in 1981 and 1982. But they haven’t been to a post season since 2012.

Prediction: I’m not sure if Concord is for real…but I do know they have played some good teams tough this year. So it wouldn’t surprise if this a back and forth game. But I think at best Concord will have another respectable game but come up short.

Reactions: SussexCountyFair
I hope you're right on the prediction, I'm not sure what Central team will show up today. If Central decides to play up to their potential I think this could be a very good game if not its going to be a long game...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT