ADVERTISEMENT

Walter Davis, RIP

dovetail

All-State
Nov 13, 2003
Davis was without a doubt the finest player to take the court inDelaware. He spent one year as a prep student at Sanford and to my knowledge was not eligible for the State Championship. He went on to a stellar career at North Carolina and was a multi year NBA All-Star.

Reactions: APboy
Yes, I am unsure of the year.…maybe ‘72-73 Dean Smith had him prep a year at Sanford. As he was a 5th year player and Sanford wasn‘t a member of DSSAA, we really didn‘t see a lot of him. He was a college all American, won a gold medal in the ‘76 Olympics and scored 19,000 points in the NBA. He was named First team all state in DE and it was a little controversial as he was a 5th year prep guy…

Should be in the BBall HOF.

From Sanford history website - “Walter Davis, who went on to play at UNC and become an NBA Rookie of the Year, led Sanford’s boys’ basketball team to an undefeated season in 1973.“

Last edited:
Yes, I am unsure of the year.…maybe ‘72-73 Dean Smith had him prep a year at Sanford. As he was a 5th year player and Sanford wasn‘t a member of DSSAA, we really didn‘t see a lot of him. He was a college all American, won a gold medal in the ‘76 Olympics and scored 19,000 points in the NBA. He was named First team all state in DE and it was a little controversial as he was a 5th year prep guy…

Should be in the BBall HOF.

From Sanford history website - “Walter Davis, who went on to play at UNC and become an NBA Rookie of the Year, led Sanford’s boys’ basketball team to an undefeated season in 1973.“

A friend of my family was at Sanford the same time Walter Davis was and whenever we'd talk high school ball here, he'd swear up and down that Walter was the greatest basketball player Delaware's ever seen and that famous Howard team of '73 would've been in trouble if Sanford had been eligible for the state tournament.

The Greyhound's career seem to bear him out in that regard. RIP to one of the first and best big guards to ever do it.

Reactions: APboy
I went to a Sixers vs Suns game at the Spectrum in Philly. The Suns jumped out to an 18-0 lead and Walter Davis scored all 18 of the points. Never saw anything like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT