ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned at the 2016 States!!

WornDown

Water boy
Jan 28, 2015
1. Dropping a weight class can be your path to a title!

2. Any thought of Henlopen losing its dominance is a myth

3. Losing in the Conference can really motivate you to destroy the field

4. Hayes and Miller are the best wrestlers in the State right now

5. 126 was just as up for grabs as we thought it would be but #1 still pulled through

6. Dover and Cape are well coached and dangerous

7. The officials didn’t have a great weekend.

8. L Wilson’s move in the final seconds of his finals match was the biggest move of the day..Jaw still open!!

9. There are time outs in wrestling??

10. Roberson is physical beast. Newark should be proud!

Reactions: youjustme
I was pretty ticked off about one thing... where the hell was the Taco truck??? I was really looking forward to those tacos

The "whirlybird" timeout is really getting old! I know the officials have to give it to them but I saw kids use injury time to get a drink and the trainer never even looked at them. The coaches need to stop allowing it since the officials hands are tied thanks to liability issues. I will never allow a kid to use injury time to rest. It's ridiculous!

What I liked most about this years States was that for the 1st time in awhile, The Majority of the Weight Classes were up for grabs. My opinion that's what made it fun for me this year.

Reactions: Dahammer23
1. Dropping a weight class can be your path to a title!

2. Any thought of Henlopen losing its dominance is a myth

3. Losing in the Conference can really motivate you to destroy the field

4. Hayes and Miller are the best wrestlers in the State right now

5. 126 was just as up for grabs as we thought it would be but #1 still pulled through

6. Dover and Cape are well coached and dangerous

7. The officials didn’t have a great weekend.

8. L Wilson’s move in the final seconds of his finals match was the biggest move of the day..Jaw still open!!

9. There are time outs in wrestling??

10. Roberson is physical beast. Newark should be proud!
What I learned is a couple parents from Sanford are a bunch of cry babies and should learn how to act when your kid loses.

Yea Sanford parents are ridiculous. Who ever thought Henlopen was losing their dominance? That isn't happening anytime soon. Most intense match to me was the HWT match. Was pulling for the Woodbridge kid. Love watching Bautista wrestle too from SC. Overall a good states but man the refs are still bad.

The HWT match was the most entertaining for me. I was sitting near some fans that never thought in a million years that Dooley would lose. Great match and the crowd really got behind the Woodbridge kid.

I was pleasantly surprised how well a lot of these wrestlers get along. I saw a lot of joking and great sportsmanship between wrestlers from different schools. Don't see a whole lot of that at dual meets but before finals it was abundant. Very impressed.

I learned that no matter how much you try to prevent it, several kids will still cheat their way into a weight class that they just don't belong.

@silverlining ...How can a wrestler "just don't belong" to a weight class. Everyone has the choice to go to whichever weight class they qualify for at certification. DO YOU UNDERSTAND HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING??. Knock off the nonsense and get educated about the sport and make a real contribution to these discussions. For crying out loud...you can't be serious.

The "whirlybird" timeout is really getting old! I know the officials have to give it to them but I saw kids use injury time to get a drink and the trainer never even looked at them. The coaches need to stop allowing it since the officials hands are tied thanks to liability issues. I will never allow a kid to use injury time to rest. It's ridiculous!
You are absolutely right! People blame the refs, but they legally have to. Have you been following the whole PA situation?

Your ignorance is comical. I love how you attack people when they don't have the same thoughts or opinions as you do, rather than act like the adult you're supposed to be. If you can honestly deny that kids are not cheating their way into weight classes then chances may be that someone close to you is doing just that. News flash - kids cheat when getting certified. I KNOW THIS FIRST HAND. Denying that this is not true and claiming that I don't know high school wrestling honestly makes you look stupid.

We all Know kids beat the system. It has been going on ever since they instituted the body fat system. As long as they have a Dr. Note for below the 7% they can go that weight!

I understand your concern about the health of the kids, as do I, but be thankful your not in another state where you go to sectionals or districts, and someone drops down 2 weights!

Reactions: silverlining
We all Know kids beat the system. It has been going on ever since they instituted the body fat system. As long as they have a Dr. Note for below the 7% they can go that weight!

You're right, Weave. I know that. There are still ways around it though. Just kind of sad that today's kids are more interested in stealing something rather than doing the right thing and earning it the hard way. I know that there's nothing that can be done to completely prevent it either.

Reactions: anon_gkw8750gylwgb
So your kid didn't lose any weight at all miss silver lining? And please don't lie because I believe that all weight certifications are available online somewhere. Can a coach confirm this? Brainski or concord maybe? Because if your kid cut weight didn't he then do the same thing as another kid that your condemning all because little ----- didn't win against him? If your boy weighed lets just say 167 at his body fat test shouldn't he just wrestle 170 according to your opinion on " doing the right thing and earning it the hard way" rather than dropping to 160. I'm going to assume your kid also dropped some weight. Just because a kid starts the season at say 113 but is allowed by the system in place to safely and gradually cut to 106 then how is that cheating?

Reactions: anon_gkw8750gylwgb
Ok so the whole weight cutting thing is what it is. Some kids don't cut any weight and some kids cut a ton of weight. Only way to fix passing certification test is have 3rd party do it and not have coach / trainer involved. My biggest concern was the inconsistency from the refs. I understand that there are opinions involved but just between semi and final matches were crazy. I saw on more then 1 occasion when 2 refs were on the mat with a no locked hands call. Some refs in semi and finals were quick to call stall calls as some were terrible at allowing stall to happen without being called. Potentially dangerous calls that change the outcome of a match. Shout out to S C for not allowing there kid to call injury time when they new it was not needed. Told him to keep wrestling. Saw kid in semi and finals match call for injury time while on bottom then after winning celebrating like nothing ever was wrong.

Reactions: austinclayton
Ok so the whole weight cutting thing is what it is. Some kids don't cut any weight and some kids cut a ton of weight. Only way to fix passing certification test is have 3rd party do it and not have coach / trainer involved. My biggest concern was the inconsistency from the refs. I understand that there are opinions involved but just between semi and final matches were crazy. I saw on more then 1 occasion when 2 refs were on the mat with a no locked hands call. Some refs in semi and finals were quick to call stall calls as some were terrible at allowing stall to happen without being called. Potentially dangerous calls that change the outcome of a match. Shout out to S C for not allowing there kid to call injury time when they new it was not needed. Told him to keep wrestling. Saw kid in semi and finals match call for injury time while on bottom then after winning celebrating like nothing ever was wrong.
Regarding the old Certification, when I coached it was in one gym and kids still beat the system with outside people in there!

I guese what's throwing me off is the over the top language like "cheating, stealing, doing it the right way". (I don't mind the flag waving in the background but could you please turn down the music from the loudspeakers?). I would blame the enablers more than the kids. The grownups define what is considered right and wrong to a large degree. Cutting weight doesn't guarantee a win. The 113 to 106 example used was an interesting choice, btw...

Last edited:
Coming from a guy that has recently been in the system of the DIAA weight regulation system, I would personally say its hard to beat. You got of course the piss test but more so the weight schedule so kids "beating the system" might be a far stretch. As far as dropping a weight almost guaranteeing a state title, I think if anything was made abundantly clear this past weekend, its that not much is guaranteed at the state tournament. Kids work hard and they win state titles that's how it works.

@silver..
the kids still have to wrestle..
no one is giving away free trips to the finals ...
like this last weekend showed, kids seeded 3,4,5 or 6 still made it to the finals..
I know for a fact some kids put 5-10 lbs on after weigh-ins..always have..always will!
If I had a better chance to be a Champ at 195 than 220, guess what? I'm wrestling off at 195 and the best wrestler wins..( per Team rules)

unlike daddy ball( most youth sports) , wrestling is a true test of the best.. No Ifs ,Ands , or Butts!

And remember, most wrestling Champs are made in the off-season.. not the regular season!! I could name a few to the exception ..
3 sport athletes

I actually agree with you YJM. I do blame the enablers more than the wrestlers. My use of the term cheating is referring to the ones who cheat when getting certified. I see nothing wrong with weight cutting done properly and doing it according to the safe rules set in place. Those who are not doing it properly know who they are. If you are truly & fairly certified at 106 and you follow the protocol to drop down to that weight -then so be it. I've always looked at wrestling as a character-building sport and it's frustrating to know what lengths some will go through to achieve something the wrong way. And it leaves those, who work hard and follow the rules, with their hands tied behind their back.

If I had a better chance to be a Champ at 195 than 220, guess what? I'm wrestling off at 195 and the best wrestler wins..( per Team rules)

unlike daddy ball( most youth sports) , wrestling is a true test of the best.. No Ifs ,Ands , or Butts!

s
No truer words have been spoken! Fairest sport around. Win a wrestle off and doesn't matter who daddy is.

Silver lining with all due respect that's crap! I know it's disappointing when your kid loses but to start crying foul just looks bad. Kids are told at their certification what weight the can get down to and on what date they are allowed to get there. They all absolutely played by the rules and won fair and square. Both young men weighed in at the same weight that morning. Just think it's disrespectful to the sport and the kid that worked to get down to his desired weight and made the finals of the state tournament.

At least they have day 2 weigh ins now. When I Scrapped we had weigh outs, I wrestled a Kid from IR who cut 20 pounds that day in school for 1st day at State. He cut 10 to weigh out. I weighed 105 the 2nd day and he weighed 126. 21 pound difference!

ya. 103 start of day. If you weighed in the morning with AD 104. So 103 +2= 105 then +1 = 106. If you weighed in with AD you end up 107

stealing something rather than doing the right thing and earning it the hard way.

This person has no idea what it is to be a dedicated wrestler. Also sometimes kids cut weight to help their team fill a roster spot. Dedication and being a team player.

Then there is the wrestler that sees his chance to possibly win a state title and be only one of fourteen kids to win that title. I would call that commitment, This wrestler must monitor food intake, attend daily practices, run, jump rope, do all the extra things and the whole time keep their grades up. This would be anything but stealing or taking the easy way out.

I personally cut weight in the 80's much more then kids today with this nice 7 percent rule. It was a total commitment and no guarantees. In the end when your hand is raised it’s all worth it. That is why you see the emotion, tears and the joy from these kids. If you are not someone who has walked in their shoes, you can't truly appreciate what it means to be a state champion.

I always have coached kids and told them that everyone takes a little something from wrestling. It's not just winning a state title that defines a wrestler. Some kids cut weight and work their &&&^ off to be a qualifier or a place winner. Some are just happy they made it. It means different things to different athletes. Then there are those who wrestle their natural weight and let the chips fall where they may because they enjoy being part of something that makes them feel pretty awesome.

Then there are a few who want to risk it all and go for the top only maybe to fall a little short. You can ask anyone that has done so. They would probably tell you they would do it all over again. It's not the winning of the title that makes it so awesome; it’s the process it took to achieve it. That process Is anything but stealing or taking the easy way to the top. That I can promise you.

Enjoy the ride encourage you son or daughter to do their best. But please don't blame any kid for making a commitment that you have never made yourself and may not understand. Remember parents love their kids the same as you love yours. That we all have in common.

"Begin with the end in Mind."

Last edited:
Your ignorance is comical. I love how you attack people when they don't have the same thoughts or opinions as you do, rather than act like the adult you're supposed to be. If you can honestly deny that kids are not cheating their way into weight classes then chances may be that someone close to you is doing just that. News flash - kids cheat when getting certified. I KNOW THIS FIRST HAND. Denying that this is not true and claiming that I don't know high school wrestling honestly makes you look stupid.
You are comical.... How in the world can you even put yourself in a 14-17 year olds position who is cutting 20lbs. You're definitely one of the people who has never cut weight before so you never knew how bad it was. Thanks for your wise opinions on cheating the weight system... But in the end of the day my man everyone has to be under a specified weight in order to wrestle so it's one of the most fair things in all sports, your whole rant is pointless take a hike

Reactions: Gwilliams38
here's a good analogy...

it's tax season. if one person uses the current tax code and takes all the deductions legally allowed and therefore pays little in taxes does that make them a cheater/criminal? absolutely not.
a second person may pay more in taxes (actual amount or percentage) and feel that they've been cheated. again, absolutely not.
moral of the story: it's not cheating if the rules allow it.

insidestep.. good post

Dropping weight has always been a part of combat sports whether it be wrestling, boxing, or MMA ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT