ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the best pitchers and best hitters right now ?

Mar 7, 2017
The best pitchers right now in my opinion are billy Sullivan from st marks and Ryan Steckline from appo. Both seem to be the most dominant so far this season. In my opinion one of the hottest bats in the state is jake walls from Middletown batting right around 600 avg. like to see others opinions

Joey Silan has to be in consideration for top pitcher in the state. Don't disagree with Steckline/Sullivan, but when Silan is on he may be the best. Hitting, Javon Fields from Appo has been very productive hitting for average as well as a very good OBP. Excellent plate discipline.

Joey Silan has to be in consideration for top pitcher in the state. Don't disagree with Steckline/Sullivan, but when Silan is on he may be the best. Hitting, Javon Fields from Appo has been very productive hitting for average as well as a very good OBP. Excellent plate discipline.
Yes i highly agree. Joey Silan is very dominant pitcher when he is on and is definitely in the arguement as one of the top pitchers in the state .Speaking of appo theres a few kids on there that have been very hot lately Javon fields junior , John weglarz senior , Joseph Davis sophomore and Ryan Steckline I heard has been hitting very well

Yes i highly agree. Joey Silan is very dominant pitcher when he is on and is definitely in the arguement as one of the top pitchers in the state .Speaking of appo theres a few kids on there that have been very hot lately Javon fields junior , John weglarz senior , Joseph Davis sophomore and Ryan Steckline I heard has been hitting very well
Appo has a tremendous amount of talent throughout that lineup in addition to good depth pitching...Steckline, Stamper, Garrett, Ruhl, Lenard and Joey Davis/John Weglarz can throw if need be

Appo has a tremendous amount of talent throughout that lineup in addition to good depth pitching...Steckline, Stamper, Garrett, Ruhl, Lenard and Joey Davis/John Weglarz can throw if need be
100% agreed appo is no joke, wouldn't be a terrible idea to use more of their arms in the games that don't mean much, for instance they threw stamper against delcastle, terrible decision and they should be working to get Stamper, Ruhl, and Garrett ready for playoffs. They could use Davis or Lenard for the games that don't mean as much.

100% agreed appo is no joke, wouldn't be a terrible idea to use more of their arms in the games that don't mean much, for instance they threw stamper against delcastle, terrible decision and they should be working to get Stamper, Ruhl, and Garrett ready for playoffs. They could use Davis or Lenard for the games that don't mean as much.
Agreed! and probably not skip a beat. Both of those kids have been tested on big stages as well. Nice "problem" to have!

The best pitchers right now in my opinion are billy Sullivan from st marks and Ryan Steckline from appo. Both seem to be the most dominant so far this season. In my opinion one of the hottest bats in the state is jake walls from Middletown batting right around 600 avg. like to see others opinions
Bradigan beat Sullivan in a head to head match up vs. St. Marks and is 19-1 through four years at Conrad. Until he gets beat both he and his team are the best in the state.

Every big game appo has Steckline throws 100+ pitches. In my opinion that's absolutely ridiculous making a high school kid throw so many pitches.

Every big game appo has Steckline throws 100+ pitches. In my opinion that's absolutely ridiculous making a high school kid throw so many pitches.
By playoff time Steckline will be useless when he's tired out. Start using the tools they have. Appo has too many shadows. Not my favorite team so I won't worry too much about it. Goodluck to appo.

Joey Haas(?) gets no action? As an aside, fielders making errors doesn't diminish the efforts of the pitcher.
Joey Haas is certainly worthy, but in fairness he hasn't faced the caliber opponents that Silan, Sullivan or Steckline face. It's difficult to single out just one. BTW...I agree, fielding errors should not diminish the pitchers effectiveness.

CHS89...remember where the talk of his 19-1 record started first...on our forum...haha...glad recognition is getting circulated.

CHS89...remember where the talk of his 19-1 record started first...on our forum...haha...glad recognition is getting circulated.
Says he tops out at 83mph. Just goes to show that throwing strikes is the most important thing a high school pitcher can do. Throwing hard is second at best. Bradigan has pinpoint accuracy and changes speed, keeping hitters off balance.

Reactions: oldskool42
Again Conrad's schedule helps a lot for that 19-1 record.
St. Marks, Salesianum and Newark Charter aren't exactly cupcakes. Score wise it may not appear so but they dominated Salesianum and St. Marks and beat the pitcher that most believe to be the best in the state.

In my opinion Conrad is clearly number one, Appo number two followed by the rest of the pack. Having said that the age old adage applies, "on any given day".

Conrad plays a difficult schedule for the most part. In that conference with Archmere, DMA and Newark Charter playing them twice a year isn't easy at all. Also played Sallies, St.Marks and have M-Town and St.Geogres left. Conrad is well coached they have a legit chance at winning it all this year.

Reactions: runningman12001
in 2016 Conrad's schedule had 9 teams on it that made the playoffs and they were 7-2. Sallies had 9 games on its schedule against teams that made it to the playoffs and went 5-4. St Marks had 10 and was 8-2.

In 2017 Conrad has already played 5 teams already that are in my top 20 (Sals, DMA, Arch, StMks, NC). They also still have 5 more games against my top 20; NC, DMA, Arch, Mtown, St G. So far this year Caravel has played 7 top 20 caliber teams (i counted Roman & WP Charter). Sallies has played 8 top 20 teams.

Agree 20-1 is a phenomenal job. Considering there may of been some games with low offensive output and errors. You can also through in the fact that he probably started or pitched against the toughest perceived competition on the schedule just saying

Here are some numbers for the top 4 pitchers mentioned .
Player. IP BB. K. H. R. #P

Bradigan. 37.1. 4. 31. 18. 4. 413
Sullivan. 37.1. 9. 56 17. 3. 549
Steckline. 30.2. 12. 45. 27. 5. 490
Silan. 19.1. 4. 29. 19. 4. 317

At this time in the year I believe my top 4 pitchers are Sullivan, Bradigan, Steckline, then Silan... Could be a different lineup if Dunn was healthy. Also after hearing about Stamper (Appo) pitching in bigger games and doing pretty well, I believe Appo could be some trouble in the playoffs. Carrow (Symrna) could be a threat as well.

I'm an uncle. Dad doesn't do social media or boards.

Not firing on all cylinders as of yet, in my opinion, but guys are getting playing time and coming around. Funny season, flip their one run games and 11-3 record could have been anywhere from 6-8 to 14-0.

Another minor point, team only has four seniors, Adams, Barker, Jones, Juhl, so might be stronger next year if they don't lose anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: DESPORTSFANFROMPA

Not firing on all cylinders as of yet, in my opinion, but guys are getting playing time and coming around. Funny season, flip their one run games and 11-3 record could have been anywhere from 6-8 to 14-0.

Another minor point, team only has four seniors, Adams, Barker, Jones, Juhl, so might be stronger next year if they don't lose anyone.
That group is going to be hard to replace. Three of which have played significant roles for four years. Whenever Joey pitches they will be in the game that's for sure.

I hope Adams and Barker see playing time at Harford next year. The Owls just won another Region 20 Championship and are headed to USC Lancaster for the Eastern District Championship. Harford is a great springboard to a D1/D2 scholarship, or even the draft. The boys need to show up there in the best shape of their lives. Last year 90+ kids tried out in the fall, plus guys transferred in after the fall semester. I'll be pulling for them.

Reactions: jwb703 and CHS89
Tyler Juhl started slow this season, but hitting .400 since St Marks game (9g), and .533 last five games.

Recent plate appearances.
Episcopal:
BB, SB, scored.
Triple, RBI, scored.

Sussex Central:
Triple, RBI, scored.
K.
Single.
HR, 2 RBI, scored. Bottom 7th to send to extra innings.
BB, SB, caught trying to stealing home in 10th.
Single, RBI walkoff winner in 12th.

Nice to get hot before the tourney.

Tyler Juhl started slow this season, but hitting .400 since St Marks game.

Recent plate appearances.
Episcopal:
BB, SB, scored.
Triple, RBI, scored.

Sussex Central:
Triple, RBI, scored.
K.
Single.
HR, 2 RBI, scored. Bottom 7th to send to extra innings.
BB, SB, caught trying to stealing home in 10th.
Single, RBI walkoff winner in 12th.

Nice to get hot before the tourney.
He has been a clutch hitter throughout his high school career for the most part. As a freshman he was the best hitter in Caravel's championship tourney run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT