ADVERTISEMENT

Why So Hard When They Have Talent?

Feb 20, 2016
I have seen public schools and coaches with a lot of talent but it is so hard for them to make it to the CHIP!
Teams and coaches I can think of last 9 years:
Delcastle with coach Brown- Had Tbobb brothers, Alex,X and company
Hodgson - Higgs, Bowers, and Hudson group
Concord- always a final 4 appearances

Why is this, is it the coaching? Players? Refs? Who was the last public school to win a chip.

It's comes down to the lack of institutional support in the public school environment and a lot of social issues to contend with that make it hard to hold teams together and develop a stream of consistency with talented kids or coaches. Howard won in 2013 with a talented group of kids then st George's made a run for it a year later. It will only get worse if that sallies team sticks together but I don't see that happening so I would say Stan will continue own delaware @ Sanford. Girls bball worse, public school don't even have a shot.

That's only in the last 10 years. 3 Publics have won the Chip (Howard 13, Penn 09, Christiana 07). Adding Middletown 06 & 05, Glasgow 03, Penn 01 and AI 00 puts it at an even 50/50 between public and private in the 2000s. Publics dominated the 90s winning 7 of 10 chips (Penn 99, Brandywine 98, Seaford 97, Howard 96, Penn 94, Glasgow 93, Newark 90) and the 80s winning 8 of 10 (Wilmington 88, Newark, 87, Howard 85, CR 84, Wilmington 83, Newark 82, Indian River 81 & 82). The publics ran the table on the 70s (Concord 79, Wilmington 78, Brandywine 77, Cape 76 & 75, Wilmington 74, Howard 73, Wilmington 72, Milford 7, De La Warr 70).

Sportsjunkie that's some good points. Howard and St. George are votech schools tho and they get secondary best players maybe a an A+ player if lucky when they can't get into a private. Will2win that's some history right there. So it is safe to say that Penn in 09 was the last public team to win chip. All downhill after that with publics. Private will rule forever now I believe. Think last public appearance was McCants and Newark with Dre Horne in2012 and lost to Sanford. Hopefully Mt. Pleasant or Dover or Appo this year. If not its over

It's just comes down to parents of talented kids opting for the better education and filtered environment of private schools or second best option vo tech or charter. They figured out the financial aid game of private schools and let's face it generally speaking your future is going to be a lot brighter attending Sanford vs Christiana. Too many nuckleheads in public school. I've seen kids square of to fight coaches and teachers. It doesn't help with the lack of support either, coaches rarely stay at those schools long anymore and the ones who do have to deal with a lot of crap. The error of public schools are done for good.

Last edited:
It's just comes down to parents of talented kids opting for the better education and filtered environment of private schools or second best option vo tech or charter. They figured out the financial aid game of private schools and let's face it generally speaking your future is going to be a lot brighter attending Sanford vs Christiana. Too many nuckleheads in public school. I've seen kids square of to fight coaches and teachers. It doesn't help with the lack of support either, coaches rarely stay at those schools long anymore and the ones who do have to deal with a lot of crap. The error of public schools are done for good.

BINGO!!!! YOU ARE 100% CORRECT!

I agree with all points, but is this only in basketball? Of all the points mentioned above institutionual support is number one. There are privates schools that don't support sports at the same level's as others.

I use Smyrna football and wrestling as a how public school support of their programs should be. The problem are the public school's adminstration don't want change.

If you build it they will come...

So you guys are contending that these kids and their parents are opting to go to private schools for the structured environment they offer? That it's all about education? Has nothing to do with the fact that if they go to... say Sanford, they are guaranteed to be playing with other very good players and always have a shot at winning state championships? And it's only basketball players that have this figured out? Well them and soccer players, I suppose. Baseball too although that one is probably going to continue changing for some reason... maybe the education at St. Mark's just isn't what it used to be. Not enough structure for those wrestlers to want to go there these days either... I'll keep looking out for that St. Andrew's dynasty that's sure to come. Doesn't get much better than that school for a filtered environment offering top-notch education.

Last edited:
So you guys are contending that these kids and their parents are opting to go to private schools for the structured environment they offer? That it's all about education? Has nothing to do with the fact that if they go to... say Sanford, they are guaranteed to be playing with other very good players and always have a shot at winning state championships? And it's only basketball players that have this figured out? Well them and soccer players, I suppose. Baseball too although that one is probably going to continue changing for some reason... maybe the education at St. Mark's just isn't what it used to be. Not enough structure for those wrestlers to want to go there these days either... I'll keep looking out for that St. Andrew's dynasty that's sure to come. Doesn't get much better than that school for a filtered environment offering top-notch education.

The sports are important factors too, especially the coaching factor. St Marks a baseball school now, St. Andrews located in Middletown school district which has quality public schools with less nuckleheads so parent would not benefit from private. Smyrna is unique in that they are one of the few public schools that support their programs & keep good coaches. William Penn similar. It's just a more difficult job to keep kids focused and together. If u have a kid with potential to get a scholarship parents look at it like this in my opinion, they want good coaching, good education, but also less fools around to negatively influence their kids. So they just skip the Lexus and make the investment in a better environment. What good is high school sports glory if u don't get a quality education that prepare u for college and life. I think Thats the rational.

Lastly after this sallies thing this year those privates not going to sit idle. I suspect more financial aid coming. When it was just Stan it's one thing, but when others start doing it things change. In private all it takes is 1 motivated parent or alum with deep pockets to say enough is enough. They can get talented kids from across state lines if they want too.

Last edited:

As much as I want to disagree, there's a lot of truth in this. Public schools got sold down the river when politicians and board of ed types realized they could actually see some FINANCIAL gains from education (Charter schools) and rather than just fixing the ongoing problems in public schools, they abandoned them flat out for charters/vo-techs/privates. Even Howard's 2013, 1996 AND 1985 chips can't really be considered public school titles in the truest sense of the word because while you don't have to pay to get in, you certainly have to apply.

And Jeff is correct also - the options are this - go play for the greatest high school coach in the history of the state with a championship tradition and the ability to draw talent or stay in your district lines and go unnoticed because your school doesn't have the resources or the pull to get colleges to notice you? Pretty sure every kid that could would take option A.

Basketball is a one and done tournament. Concord should be applauded for their consistency. Delcastle and T-Bob lost to a dominate Sanford team (Cooney, Hart, Jones). Hodgson lost to Newark (Horne, McClain, Reynolds, Clarke) lived by the 3 and died by the 3 all season, the 3 amigos went 2-25 from behind the arc in there final four appearance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT