ADVERTISEMENT

William Penn at Smyrna

Smyrna hangs on to win 50-46. I've heard some people say on Depreps that Smyrna is the best team in the state. If that's the case, it doesn't say much for the quality of HS basketball in Delaware

Penn: Jackson-4, Crumel-15, King-8, Wall-7, Bowling-5, Cochran-4, Harding-3

Smyrna: Richardson-13, Garnett-4, Matthews-15, Watson-4, Ferrell-3, Hinson Purnell-1, Nwankwo-10

Last edited:
Reactions: Patcomic
Interested in hearing someone's input on Smyrna bigs. 6'6" etc.....what if any impact they had on the game

Interested in hearing someone's input on Smyrna bigs. 6'6" etc.....what if any impact they had on the game
The best players on the court tonight for Smyrna were Richardson and Matthews. Their tallest player Nwankwo is definitely a defensive presence because of his height and long arms, but he has zero offensive skills. When Smyrna has the ball they are basically playing 4 on 5. He had ten points but all of them were on follow ups. He has no ability to create a shot for himself. I wonder how long he's been playing basketball. Other than him I didn't see any other tall players really tall players on Smyrna.

Reactions: 84rider
Smyrna hangs on to win 50-46. I've heard some people say on Depreps that Smyrna is the best team in the state. If that's the case, it doesn't say much for the quality of HS basketball in Delaware I always said they are average at best... Cape will win North

Penn: Jackson-4, Crumel-15, King-8, Wall-7, Bowling-5, #0-4, Harding-3

Smyrna: Richardson-13, Garnett-4, Matthews-15, Watson-4, Ferrell-3, Hinson Purnell-1, Nwankwo-10

So no 6'6" Kentucky HS big man transfer???
I don't know. If you look at Smyrna's team picture there is a player almost as tall as the 7 footer. But he was not there tonight. I wish someone who knew the team/players (I don't) would weigh in. Garnett looks to be about 6'5", he may be good but wasn't tonight.

Reactions: 84rider
Things about bigs. 1. they develope slower than gaurds 2. if active, they help their team in ways that don't show up on stat sheets 3. when evaluating big Kids college coaches look @ certain qualities for future development a. how they move (run the floor) b. work ethic & attitude 3. motor, especially on defense. Nwankwo & other bigs like him are asssets u want to have, because of his size and defensive activities, rebounding, allow gaurds to take risk, pressure the ball. Great offensive production has to do with development. That will come, but from my evaluation & perspective, I would rather be working with the assets Smyrna has than most teams.

Reactions: basketball24/7
I was told that the 6'11 sophomore has missed the last 2 games out sick. I was also told that he is the better of the two. We are so quick to judge bigs here in DE calling them soft but I think that the big did what he was supposed to do last night...he controlled the paint by blocking & altering shots all night, got rebounds & immediately looked to get the ball to his guards. He definitely needs to get stronger & develop some offensive skills but he is still young so that can be worked on but you cannot teach a player to be 7'2. He will be fine...he doesn't look like he has been playing basketball very long but seemed like a good kid willing to work hard & play his role. He will be going to school for free somewhere I know that for sure.

I was told that the 6'11 sophomore has missed the last 2 games out sick. I was also told that he is the better of the two. We are so quick to judge bigs here in DE calling them soft but I think that the big did what he was supposed to do last night...he controlled the paint by blocking & altering shots all night, got rebounds & immediately looked to get the ball to his guards. He definitely needs to get stronger & develop some offensive skills but he is still young so that can be worked on but you cannot teach a player to be 7'2. He will be fine...he doesn't look like he has been playing basketball very long but seemed like a good kid willing to work hard & play his role. He will be going to school for free somewhere I know that for sure.
Thank you. People don't get it bigs are not gaurds & 9 times out of ten their body's are delayed 3 years behind gaurds in terms of coordination & development. This is why coaches that don't know how to develop young big Kids ruin them. At the elite high school level at many of the private schools a lot of attention is given to strength training & movement. 1 inch growth can completely disrupt coordination. Example a kid like Ingraham, probably 15 going on 16. He moves excellent for his age but imagine a 15 or 16 years old moving that frame or adjusting to growth. So what we have to consider is are these kids still growing. Some kids growth and development is weird, look at Anthony Davis, kids sprouts like 8 plus inches in high school. Ultimately it comes down to coaching competence . The kid that is way ahead of his development is Davis, great movement & development for a young kid 6'5.

Last edited:
Smyrna hangs on to win 50-46. I've heard some people say on Depreps that Smyrna is the best team in the state. If that's the case, it doesn't say much for the quality of HS basketball in Delaware

Penn: Jackson-4, Crumel-15, King-8, Wall-7, Bowling-5, Cochran-4, Harding-3

That's because mount is the best team in the state. That's quality basketball.

he is legit 7 footer when it comes to height which you can't teach. When it comes to offense I would love for him to get the ball at the elbow as an opposing coach bc neither one is very good on the offensive end when it comes to scoring the ball. At this time they aren't reliable on the offensive end. In time will they be decent I think so but now I would take advantage and bait them to try to score. The box out and run the floor.

Too early to say if Smyrna's overrated or the new guys are busts. Tournament time is when they'll be judged and while Mount is the favorite, Smyrna will get themselves together.

They aren't skilled at all lol its safe to say that lol. At 7ft or even 6'6 in De you should be able to get a good post shot off from the block. That is foreign to them. When you've watched skilled bigs at a young age work and you see these two on offense. They're not there yet. Defense is ok because all you have to do is stand there and be tall. The tournament will expose them especially if they play a team with another 6'8 or taller quality big.

They aren't skilled at all lol its safe to say that lol. At 7ft or even 6'6 in De you should be able to get a good post shot off from the block. That is foreign to them. When you've watched skilled bigs at a young age work and you see these two on offense. They're not there yet. Defense is ok because all you have to do is stand there and be tall. The tournament will expose them especially if they play a team with another 6'8 or taller quality big.
All this talk about Mount every year and they never win a title... Smh...

I hope that's not why you think Mount is going to win it all because they beat downstate teams lol. Honestly besides Cape and Smyrna and maybe St.Thomas More you aren't hearing anything from anyone else. Mount is good but beating downstate teams doesn't give them the chip.

I hope that's not why you think Mount is going to win it all because they beat downstate teams lol. Honestly besides Cape and Smyrna and maybe St.Thomas More you aren't hearing anything from anyone else. Mount is good but beating downstate teams doesn't give them the chip.
He happy because they knock out downstate teams..lol.. Know Wonder they never win it... Lol

Reactions: DoverSenator
I mean that's fine if that's your arguement for them expecting to win it all. But again that's not winning anything, every year for the most part Henlopen teams aren't nearly as good as upstate teams. Congrats Mount for being the downstate champion beaters.

I mean that's fine if that's your arguement for them expecting to win it all. But again that's not winning anything, every year for the most part Henlopen teams aren't nearly as good as upstate teams. Congrats Mount for being the downstate champion beaters.
There fans get hearts broken every March, last year they got smashed by Mikey & Sanford, the year before Donte put on a clinic on them. But like the last 2 years, this could be the year. I like all the kids on that team but Mt pleasant loyalist on this sight tend to be irrational. Perhaps it's from the copious amounts of marijuana consumed prior to games that I am forced to inhale in the stands from some of the supporters, but despite the high I get from my secondhand consumption, I am able to focus & see they are a good team but not good enough to declare them state Champs in December.

Last edited:
There fans get hearts broken every March, last year they got smashed by Mikey & Sanford, the year before Donte put on a clinic on them. But like the last 2 years, this could be the year. I like all the kids on that team but Mt pleasant loyalist on this sight tend to be irrational. Perhaps it's from the copious amounts of marijuana consumed prior to games that I am forced to inhale in the stands from some of the supporters, but despite the high I get from my secondhand consumption, I am able to focus & see they are a good team but not good enough to declare them state Champs in December.
Flat out agree on the champs in December comment. Losing the past two seasons to the eventual state champ is far from a disgrace though. Maybe the b-ball Gods will shine on them this year, maybe not.

Yea U right but it was back to back years .. When everybody thought they would win it... They got a good team.. But people on here think its going to be Easy... Please..
They also lost back to back years to the team with hands the best player in the state. Both years donte and Mikey got POY ill
Give it to you. Two years ago they shoulda beat sallies and won. But that's all. Please...

M
They also lost back to back years to the team with hands the best player in the state. Both years donte and Mikey got POY ill
Give it to you. Two years ago they shoulda beat sallies and won. But that's all. Please...
Man please .. They had way more talent than both of those teams.... Stop making excuses... Here we are again.. 3rd year straight favorites. They might win it this year though.. Lol.. We will see...

M

Man please .. They had way more talent than both of those teams.... Stop making excuses... Here we are again.. 3rd year straight favorites. They might win it this year though.. Lol.. We will see...
Don't say that until you have seen them. This team is better

So if they loose to Sallies or Sanford in tourney this year and Ingram or Davis become Player of year.. Your excuse be is because they lost to Player of the year...Smh..

The irony is Davis or Ingraham may steal the dream again in place of Mikey & Donte. Those 2 are young and with young kids they can become monsters overnight. If they lose to either of those teams again Mt is officially cursed with the Sanford/Sallies curse. What if to break the curse Mt. fans had to be humble & stay away from hype for a year. That would be a curse of a life time.

Reactions: hoopsdownstate
Don't say that until you have seen them. This team is better
Already saw them.. They are good.. But foul alot and like to hołd and grab alot
The irony is Davis or Ingraham may steal the dream again in place of Mikey & Donte. Those 2 are young and with young kids they can become monsters overnight. If they lose to either of those teams again Mt is officially cursed with the Sanford/Sallies curse. What if to break the curse Mt. fans had to be humble & stay away from hype for a year. That would be a curse of a life time.[/QUOT you is 100% correct..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT