ADVERTISEMENT

Best ever....pick one

sheldon thomas. 3x d1 AA. 1996 national champ. 4x state champ. first time i saw him wrestle, i thought he took a wrong turn looking for the math club. he proceeded to dominate his opponent who was a jr or sr and pretty well accomplished. in wrestling you can’t judge a book by the cover for sure, now with the internet everybody knows who is really good but back then sometimes you got surprised on the mat.

Last edited:
@Leverage1991 you know my thoughts and conpletely agree with ya.

If I am picking one though its Meade.

3x State Champ (wasnt 4 time only because transferred 1 year and was ineligible I bekieve)

On USA "Dream Team"

Ranked 3rd in Country as Junuor and Number 1 as Senior

Ranked 4th in national P4P rankings

Majored 2x NCAA Champ and Olympic Qualifier who placed 5th at Olympics Frank Molinaro at Beast Finals. I mean he whooped up on hin. You can google the video. Score was like 12 to 2.

Ranked 6th or 7th as freshmen at Okie State

Beat guys like Dustin Schlatter (NCAA Champ from Minnesota) and Nick Marable (2nd NCAA from Mizz who also beat Jordan Burroughs) while at Okie State

Would ppace 2nd at Junior Worlds losing to Andrew Howe (who was a 3x NCAA finalist and 2x Champ) by 2 points.

Should have placed at MCAA as freshmen but went 2 and 2.

Meade IMO would have been 3 time AA and 1 or 2x NCAA champ. Kid was world class and could have quite lossibly represented USA at Olympics. He was just as good as those guys like Molinaro, Schlatter amd Howe etc as it peoved it as a 19 year old beatinf all of them. But guess we will never know.

Reactions: Fightingbluehen
The D1 and senior level landscape is a mindfield both physical and mental. To win a D1 ncaa title is almost impossible in my opinion. I love all the meades and to see dad coaching is awesome. But as far as credentials go, its tough to argue Sheldon Thomas and that hardware. The late 80s early 90s were a little different time as you didn't quite see the number of other high school all americans except at fargo or dapper dan. Hopefully one of these young guys from 2019 will be in the argument in 10 years when we are still discussing lol

Reactions: BigMike52

3x State Champ (wasnt 4 time only because transferred 1 year and was ineligible I bekieve)

On USA "Dream Team"

Majored 2x NCAA Champ and Olympic Qualifier who placed 5th at Olympics Frank Molinaro at Beast Finals. I mean he whooped up on hin. You can google the video. Score was like 12 to 2.

Beat guys like Dustin Schlatter (NCAA Champ from Minnesota) and Nick Marable (2nd NCAA from Mizz who also beat Jordan Burroughs) while at Okie State

Would ppace 2nd at Junior Worlds losing to Andrew Howe (who was a 3x NCAA finalist and 2x Champ) by 2 points.

Meade IMO would have been 3 time AA and 1 or 2x NCAA champ. Kid was world class and could have quite lossibly represented USA at Olympics. He was just as good as those guys like Molinaro, Schlatter amd Howe etc as it peoved it as a 19 year old beatinf all of them. But guess we will never know.

You make a good if not great argument for Meade but but... there’s a lot of coulda woulda and should’ve’s in there. how can you look past a guy that actually accomplished it, NCAA CHAMP Sheldon Thomas. He was three time AA (I think) and when the time came he accomplish the pinnacle of collegiate sports (ncaa champion). It’s tough to argue with that..I don’t think you can.

Reactions: Leverage1991
@Dahammer23 I dont look past him believe me. Sheldon is my numver 2 with Sianni as my 3.

Buuuut, the initial question was "Best DE HIGH SCHOOL wrestler ever". So, not accounting for college accolades, I am saying Meade still.

Now, if we accoubt for college accolades than Ill give it to Sheldon. But strictly just going off of high school accomplishment, style, and talent...I am going Meade every time.

Hmm. If its HS only its tough to go against kurt howell undefeated career. Can we get a moderator clarification

Gotta agree with@Allheart28, Meade in terms of HS was extraordinarily good. Watching Meade wrestle, you often found yourself saying “holy cow, did he just do that”. He totally electrified the gym! He was the reason I started following wrestling again.

Reactions: AllHeart28
Sheldon is hands down one of my favorites but a cool story about Meade! His sr year was getting a lot of ffts . When c r and lake wrestled lake sent a wrestler out to wrestle Meade. Didn’t do anything to embarrass him at all and after the dual Meade thanked the lake wrestler for giving him a match that night! Class act that night!

When I think about this topic (DE high school specific): Sheldon 4xer, Donofrio 4xer mutliple Beast Finals (if memory is correct), Howell undefeated, Meade won DE every chance he had and Beast Champ, Combs 4xer (no points scored on him in state tourney career), Atkinson 5x finalist 3x Champ, Creighton 4xer. Jordan 4x finalist 3x Champ, Beast finalist. I’m sure I missed a few and some info may be wrong but they all have an argument for top dog.

Reactions: concord87
Did Howell win any national tournaments while in HS?
That I'm not sure about. Definitely won 4 state titles and was undefeated for HS . I know very few guys then traveled national. A few SC guys would pile into a van and hit summer tournaments in PA. But that's not quite same thing. He won a lot after HS also. But if you're talking HS only then Kurt might be your man.

Not that he trumps any 4x champ but you have to consider Earl Walker in this thread. HS National Champs
While at St. Andrews School near Middletown, Delaware, Walker was a two-time Delaware high school state champion, winning the 145-pound title as a junior and the 152-pound division during his senior year.

He was inducted into the Delaware Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2004.

On USA "Dream Team"

Haha I just went to go look at the Meade vs Molinaro match. The half mat return to let him go mid-air at the end of the 2nd was great. What a beast.

Reactions: AllHeart28
If we’re talking after HS. Zach is a dude and all round great guy. After what I saw at MAWAs today I am am a fan. Not just his wrestling but his humanity. Great person

Reactions: BigMike52
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT