ADVERTISEMENT

DIAA Board meeting today

Downstate- i believe that Milford, Sussex Academy, Delmar and Laurel are allowed to have 8th graders on HS teams.

Didn't know that..back to it..

Taking a quick look at Delmar there is a lot. Don't have time for it right now so yeah there a whole lot more 8th graders playing HS than I thought.. have to think on if it should be opened up to all schools.. Just not sure how it can work up North and with the Charters and Techs..just too many school choices..

Last edited:
Layfield did no obstain at any point. In fact he said during the discussion prior to the vote “Let me put my Sussex Central hat on”. The same guy who steadfast against Sallies in the beginning of the season with his, “These are the rules that were put in place by the tournament committee. We can not change them. Good Luck with your season.” Fast forward to Sunday, and the rules were changed for guess who....

yeah man that's some ....

360_F_330515945_4PV7qVYIoeTBYxzfJO05q02vrXwgYg8T.jpg

The Woodbridge coach did not vote because he said he was directly involved with the situation. Ritter and Wilson are in the same district as Moffett. They should have abstained also.
I am with Doug. This was handled poorly.

I have followed these DIAA meetings fairly closely. I recall Layfield supporting the Sallies position on scheduling vociferously, yet they all admitted they had no power over a Blue Hen Conference decision in this case. He voted not to push them in that direction. His school did volunteer to play Salesianum.

On the specific vote you are discussing, yes, he should have abstained.

When he has used the statement “let me put my Sussex Central hat on” he is usually telling the group how he would respond as a building principal to carrying out a specific regulation. He is not telling them how he has to think as a school district employee.

I have been keeping track BL for 20 years. By my estimate he is a man of integrity.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt in this case.

Based mostly on 2019 rosters also some are the same student playing multiple sports. I believe a couple schools in some sports the 8th graders play HS and 6 and 7th graders play MS.

There are no football players and I believe that is very rare but has happened.

Only 6 schools allow/do it

Sanford: FH- 1JV, BBB 1V, BBG 1V, BASE- 2V, LAXB- 2V

Tatnall: SB- 2V, BBB- 2V, BBG- 1V, WR- 2V, SG- 2V

Tower Hill: VB- 1V, LAXG- 1V

Caravel: FH- 1 V/JV, SB- 11 V/JV, VB 2JV, BBG- 1JV, VB- 5JV, BBB- 1 JV, BBG- 3V 3JV, WR- 4V, LAXB- 1V, SG 4 V/JV(2018), SOFT- 5V 8JV(2018)

Newark Charter: FH- 1V 9JV, SB- 1V 1JV, VB- 5JV, BBB- 1JV, BBG 3V 3JV, WR- 4V, BASE- 4JV, LAXB- 1V 5JV, LAXG- 2V 7JV, SG- 8JV, SOFT- 1V 3JV

RLCA: FH- 1V, VB- 1V, BBB- 1JV, WR-5V, LAXB- 1 (2018), LAXG 1V(2018), SOFT- 5V(2018)
Dickinson has eighth-graders at least on the varsity field hockey and volleyball this season. Christiana had eighth-graders last year in field hockey and boys soccer, but they didn't field a team in either sport this season. Ursuline and St. Elizabeth also allow eighth-graders to play for their high school teams. I believe Odessa will be allowed to use eighth-graders at the high school level because the middle school is on the same campus.
I believe Bummy is correct that this rule was instituted to benefit the small downstate schools decades ago so they would have enough players to field teams.

But “Thompson” needs to stay in his lane and go somewhere cause this dude is annoying as FUC*
And there is the reason why his ideas, no matter what merit they may have, will go nowhere. Was a discussion at minimum worth having about a weekend of bowl games? Sure. You could discuss it and still vote no. But after all the noise Thompson made, especially about Delaware being a laughingstock, is anyone surprised that his motion could not even receive a second?

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
And there is the reason why his ideas, no matter what merit they may have, will go nowhere. Was a discussion at minimum worth having about a weekend of bowl games? Sure. You could discuss it and still vote no. But after all the noise Thompson made, especially about Delaware being a laughingstock, is anyone surprised that his motion could not even receive a second?

The jokes aren't really about the idea. Many of us on here discussed the idea before and liked it. It was him bringing up a motion to cancel the playoffs a day before they are to begin after teams have spent a week preparing for the playoff game. It was a waste of time besides the idea was already discussed in the football committee meetings prior to the season and was a non starter for them. Bringing it up now and the laughing stock comment was dumb and a waste of time. That horse had left the barn. Seriously did he really think it was even possible to to just cancel the playoffs the day before the games or that would even be a consideration and he is a coach? c'mon man.. There is a time and place for these ideas and this meeting wasn't it. IMHO

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
I have followed these DIAA meetings fairly closely. I recall Layfield supporting the Sallies position on scheduling vociferously, yet they all admitted they had no power over a Blue Hen Conference decision in this case. He voted not to push them in that direction. His school did volunteer to play Salesianum.

On the specific vote you are discussing, yes, he should have abstained.

When he has used the statement “let me put my Sussex Central hat on” he is usually telling the group how he would respond as a building principal to carrying out a specific regulation. He is not telling them how he has to think as a school district employee.

I have been keeping track BL for 20 years. By my estimate he is a man of integrity.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt in this case.

See now this is why we have these discussions on here. We can work though these things and clear up misconceptions and come to some sort of understanding as well as a free exchange of ideas and discussion of those ideas. Things you can't really do on twitter which is a hit and run type situation which is heavily censored. Plus we get some new words and expand our vocabularies in the process.. 🤓

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Dickinson has eighth-graders at least on the varsity field hockey and volleyball this season. Christiana had eighth-graders last year in field hockey and boys soccer, but they didn't field a team in either sport this season. Ursuline and St. Elizabeth also allow eighth-graders to play for their high school teams. I believe Odessa will be allowed to use eighth-graders at the high school level because the middle school is on the same campus.
I believe Bummy is correct that this rule was instituted to benefit the small downstate schools decades ago so they would have enough players to field teams.

yeah I wasn't aware the rule/wording had been changed from the same building or even campus until I looked it up yesterday . The wording now is if the eighth grade is part of the same administrative unit as grades 9 through 12. I am not sure how far that expands or how it is applied for approval to let 8th graders play for your high school.

How do they decide which middle school kids play for Dickinson or Christiana and do those kids have to commit to going there or can they choice somewhere else for HS? Padua and St Elizabeth how is it decided what MS kids play there? Wouldn't the Catholic MS kids be eligible to play for St Marks or Sallies as well or do the Catholic HS's have a specific Catholic MS that feeds them? Bummy???

Last edited:
I can only speculate. Look the Dickinson 8th graders are in the same buliding. They have a middle school right in the same building. They are part of the International Baccaulaureate Program.

Based on my interpretation of a campus, my sense is that St. Lizzies could suit up 8th graders.

Salesianum. Here is a wild example. At the moment Salesianum cannot play 8th graders. Let's say that the Diocese of Wilmington decided to make their grade schools just 1-7. It would be logical that Salesianum would then think they should have a 8th grade. Those guys would be eligible to play.

Actually, there was a short time in the 1950's that Sallies had 8th graders. They were called the Gremlins.

yeah I wasn't aware the rule/wording had been changed from the same building or even campus until I looked it up yesterday . The wording now is if the eighth grade is part of the same administrative unit as grades 9 through 12. I am not sure how far that expands or how it is applied for approval to let 8th graders play for your high school.

How do they decide which middle school kids play for Dickinson or Christiana and do those kids have to commit to going there or can they choice somewhere else for HS? Padua and St Elizabeth how is it decided what MS kids play there? Wouldn't the Catholic MS kids be eligible to play for St Marks or Sallies as well or do the Catholic HS's have a specific Catholic MS that feeds them? Bummy???
Dickinson and Christiana both have 8th graders in same building. StE and Ursuline house the entire school in one building. I do know that if the 8th grader wants to play a spring sport at those schools they better go to high school there or they will be cut. Fall and winter it’s a gamble on the coach. Girls bball at StE got burned by that a few times with girls leaving after 8th to attend Sanford.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT