ADVERTISEMENT

Kane and others to leave Sussex Tech

Are they eligible to play this year if they transfer to their feeder school? That can't be the case.

The rules state you cannot play for two teams in same season.. although somehow Tarryl Sturgis who was a Sr. pulled it off last year. Playing for Tech then transferring to Central and played.. Maybe if true these guys think they can pull it off also .. here is the rule

2.4.4.1.4.1 Students shall not participate in a contest at the varsity level for two different schools in the same sport during the same school year unless one of the other exceptions in subsection 2.4.4 of this regulation applies.

2.4.4 Exceptions to the High School Transfer Rule

2.4.4.1 A student, the student's family, and the student's receiving school are not required to submit a waiver request and establish the conditions for granting a waiver set forth in subsection 9.1.1 of 14 DE Admin. Code 1006, including hardship, and the period of ineligibility shall not apply if the student meets one of the following exceptions and the student's transfer was not for athletic advantage as provided in subsection 2.4.6 of this regulation:

2.4.4.1.1 McKinney-Vento Act (Homeless Students) - The period of ineligibility shall not apply if the transfer is the result of the student becoming homeless as defined in the McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youths Act, 42 U.S.C. §11434a(2).

2.4.4.1.2 Transfer Because of Promotion or Administrative Assignment - Transfer because of promotion or administrative assignment to the ninth grade from a school whose terminal point is the eighth grade, or to the tenth grade from a junior high school whose terminal point is the ninth grade, shall not constitute a transfer. Students so promoted or administratively assigned shall be eligible.

2.4.4.1.3 No previous interscholastic athletic participation - A student who has not previously participated in interscholastic athletics, is released by a proper school authority from a sending school, has completed the registration process at the receiving school, and is pursuing an approved course of study shall be eligible immediately upon registration provided the student meets all other DIAA eligibility requirements.

2.4.4.1.4 Previous interscholastic athletic participation - A student who has previously participated in interscholastic athletics may transfer one time during his or her first or second year of eligibility at the high school level without loss of athletic eligibility provided that the student meets all other eligibility requirements, including subsection 2.4.7 of this regulation.

2.4.4.1.4.1 Students shall not participate in a contest at the varsity level for two different schools in the same sport during the same school year unless one of the other exceptions in subsection 2.4.4 of this regulation applies.

2.4.4.1.4.2 A student who has previously participated in interscholastic athletics and transfers more than one time during his or her first or second year of eligibility at the high school level, shall be ineligible in any sport for a period of 90 school days commencing with the first day of official attendance in the receiving school unless one of the other exceptions in subsection 2.4.4 of this regulation applies. The period of ineligibility shall continue to the next grade/school year until 90 school days have passed.

2.4.4.1.5 No Participation in a Sport within the Preceding 180 School Days - A student who previously participated in interscholastic athletics but did not participate in a sport within the preceding 180 school days and was eligible by both DIAA and local school rules to do so during the previous school year shall be eligible to participate in that sport at the receiving school.

2.4.4.1.6 Transfer to School of Residence - A student may transfer to his or her school of residence, which is based on the legal address of the student's custodial parent(s) or court-appointed legal guardian(s), one time without loss of athletic eligibility. For this exception to apply, the transfer must be the student's first transfer during his or her years of high school interscholastic athletic eligibility.

2.4.4.1.7 Transfer Due to Court Action - A student may transfer without loss of athletic eligibility if the transfer is caused by court action, court action being an order from a court of law affecting legally committed students. In the case of a transfer of guardianship or custody, the transfer shall be the result of a court order signed by a judge, commissioner, or master of a court of competent jurisdiction. A petition for the transfer of guardianship or custody, an affidavit, (except as permitted by subsection 2.4.4.3.2.1 of this regulation), or a notarized statement signed by the affected parties shall not be sufficient to render the student eligible to participate in interscholastic athletics.

2.4.4.1.7.1 Sole, Joint, or Shared Custody - In cases of sole, joint, or shared custody once a primary residence is established, a change in a student's primary residence without court action renders the student ineligible unless one of the other exceptions in subsection 2.4.4 of this regulation applies.

2.4.4.1.7.2 DSCYF Custody - For purposes of eligibility, a student placed within DSCYF custody is eligible to participate in interscholastic athletics immediately at the school he or she attends.

2.4.4.1.8 Transfer Based Upon Relative Caregivers School Authorization - A student may transfer without loss of athletic eligibility if the transfer is based upon the submission of a Caregivers School Authorization in accordance with 14 Del.C. §202(f).

2.4.4.1.8.1 An exception would be a student whose caregiver does not provide the documentation required by the Relative Caregiver School Authorization (including proof of relationship and proof of full time care) but is permitted to register on the basis of a petition for the transfer of guardianship. A student who registers on the basis of a petition for the transfer of guardianship is not eligible to scrimmage or compete until the caregiver has provided a custody or guardianship petition to the receiving school in accordance with 14 Del.C. §202(f)(1).

2.4.4.1.9 Transfer Due to Change of Residence - The transfer is the result of a change in residence by the custodial parent(s), legal guardian(s) or Relative Caregiver to the attendance zone of a public school that student was not attending. If, as a result of the change of residence, the student could now enroll in a different public school, the student may make a one-time election and select any school including a private school. A change in residence has occurred when all occupancy of the previous residence has ended and a new legal residence has been established. Maintaining dual residency for purposes of athletic eligibility shall render the student ineligible.

2.4.4.1.10 Transfer Due to Seat Opening in Receiving School - A student may transfer without loss of athletic eligibility if the transfer is a result of a seat opening in the receiving school, and the student had previously applied to the school and had been rejected due to a lack of capacity. For this exception to apply, the receiving school must have appropriate documentation including: a student application from a previous school year; a letter in response to the application notifying the student that they were not accepted; and a letter dated after the start of the school year offering the student a seat in the receiving school.

2.4.4.1.11 Transfer under Unsafe School Choice Policy A student may transfer without loss of athletic eligibility if the student attends a persistently dangerous school or is the victim of a violent felony while in or on the grounds of a school in which he or she is enrolled and the student opts to transfer to a safe school in the same school district in accordance with 14 DE Admin. Code 608 Unsafe School Choice Option Policy.

2.4.4.1.12 Transfer Because Sending School Closed or Dropped Sport/Athletic Program - A student may transfer without loss of athletic eligibility if the transfer is a result of any of the following:

2.4.4.1.12.1 The closure of the sending school;

2.4.4.1.12.2 The sending school discontinuing a single sport at the varsity level. In order for this exception to apply when a school discontinues a single sport at the varsity level, the student must have previously participated in that sport.

2.4.4.1.12.3 The sending school dropping their entire athletic program. Dropping their athletic program is defined as the school discontinuing all of their interscholastic athletics sports programs. For this exception to apply, adequate documentation must be submitted to the receiving school and sent to the DIAA Executive Director for approval as sufficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ikeyfbst2
Not really sure how this would help Kane football wise though. Where would he play?.. WB has a QB doing a good job and Massey/Cannon is getting it done at RB.. I guess he could compliment Massey/Cannon along with Bacon.. who knows

maybe gearing up for hoops season..

Last edited:
Not really sure how this would help Kane football wise though. Where would he play?.. WB has a QB doing a good job and Massey is getting it done at RB.. I guess he could compliment Massey along with Bacon.. who knows

maybe gearing up for hoops season..
I just heard through the grapevine that he doesn't want to play QB. He wants to play Slot/WR.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
I just heard through the grapevine that he doesn't want to play QB. He wants to play Slot/WR.

He can definitely help there..Perdue would have thrown for 100+ and 2 TD's vs Friends if his receivers could catch... If WB gets a passing game to go with that rushing attack light outs for D2

Kane is a much better QB than Perdue if this happens WB could most def challenge top tier D1 teams never see why he went tech would have a better high school career at WB football and basketball in my opinion WB GOAT Troy Haynes with westscott and Kane at WR might of had 4 state titles throughout their HS career

Reactions: Chill44
The way the rules read, he should be able to transfer and play right away "2.4.4.1.6 "
That being said, how would this affect his academic eligibility since he is transferring mid-term. Is there an apples to apples way of doing it?

The way the rules read, he should be able to transfer and play right away "2.4.4.1.6 "
That being said, how would this affect his academic eligibility since he is transferring mid-term. Is there an apples to apples way of doing it?

No issue grades will just transfer over. The only grades that matter for academically ineligible are the final quarter grades.

No issue grades will just transfer over. The only grades that matter for academically ineligible are the final quarter grades.
So with that comes the question, he is the middle of the first quarter, would he get all incomplete's if he does not stay till the 25th(end of qtr)? I would have to think he would need to finish out the quarter to get his grades.

So with that comes the question, he is the middle of the first quarter, would he get all incomplete's if he does not stay till the 25th(end of qtr)? I would have to think he would need to finish out the quarter to get his grades.

not at all.. people transfer mid term all the time..you pick up the same classes in new school and it transfers over and you finish the quarter.. I did it like that a couple times when I was in HS. 1st time I was a freshman at Edgewood and half way through first quarter they realized I was in wrong zoned school and moved me to Joppatowne.. I played football for both no problem 2nd time transferred from CA to MD mid quarter.. no issue. well one issue. I was in micro computer class in CA and the Md school thought it was Micro Biology and put me in that class and I was well behind.... needless to say I failed that class but got a waiver to play because of the screw up

Kane is a much better QB than Perdue if this happens WB could most def challenge top tier D1 teams never see why he went tech would have a better high school career at WB football and basketball in my opinion WB GOAT Troy Haynes with westscott and Kane at WR might of had 4 state titles throughout their HS career
No doubt...Woodbridge class of 2020 have won 2 of 3 state titles...will be 3 of 4 after this year with or without Kane

Smack only if it’s the kids first transfer and he is transferring to his home zoned public. One of those special rules to help the zoned public’s out. Lol.

Smack only if it’s the kids first transfer and he is transferring to his home zoned public. One of those special rules to help the zoned public’s out. Lol.

what an incredibly stupid rule. Kid should be made to sit out especially if you’re transferring mid season. Your seasons not going so hot, so you transfer to a winner mid season. Another one of DIAA dumb rules but not exactly surprising at this point.

what an incredibly stupid rule. Kid should be made to sit out especially if you’re transferring mid season. Your seasons not going so hot, so you transfer to a winner mid season. Another one of DIAA dumb rules but not exactly surprising at this point.
It is silly that a kid can transfer and play right away. My guess is that these exceptions exist to fend off the lawsuits threatened if a transfer is not approved.

It is silly that a kid can transfer and play right away. My guess is that these exceptions exist to fend off the lawsuits threatened if a transfer is not approved.

It's like that in most states. Particularity if the kids move residence to a different school zone and there is no school choice. .. I know in Harford County MD particularly Aberdeen and Havre de Grace kids have parents in both zones and they flip custody based on which team is better.... One year HDG had a real good team and Aberdeen had the counties best RB.. The Aberdeen RB transferred to HDG the last game of the season and helped HDG make it to the final in states.. Then he transferred back for track and graduate with his buddies.. All legal as the parents legally changed custody back and forth.

Like I said Taryll Sturgis transferred from Tech to Central a couple games into the season last year and played right away and also was eligible to wrestle for them as well so no grade problems with the transfer.

The key thing is you can't transfer "back" to your zoned school which would mean you transferred twice. The rule only works for zoned public schools not techs, charters or privates.. Basically it allows a kid to go to tech, charter or a private as a freshman and if at anytime it doesn't work out they can transfer to their zoned public with no penalty.

It's no different then if a kid moved from Smyrna to Milford mid season he would be eligible to play for Milford right away by virtue of the residence change. one of the many exceptions..

Last edited:
So a kid from tech transferred last year in the middle of the season and played for central that same season!!! shame on coach wells if this is true. This is whats wrong with kids, they don't like the way things are going so they quit, then adults let them get there way. they are not learning anything. The kane kid has been a cancer the whole time he has been at tech, everyone knows it, so now he is going to transfer(because he is not getting his way, throwing a fit, and wants to play at another school. The new coach at woodbridge better not let him do this. I know its tempting, but, it will not teach this kid anything but to quit and throw a fit to get your way! Football is not about that, teach him a life lesson new woodbridge coach. Have a pair!

So a kid from tech transferred last year in the middle of the season and played for central that same season!!! shame on coach wells if this is true. This is whats wrong with kids, they don't like the way things are going so they quit, then adults let them get there way. they are not learning anything. The kane kid has been a cancer the whole time he has been at tech, everyone knows it, so now he is going to transfer(because he is not getting his way, throwing a fit, and wants to play at another school. The new coach at woodbridge better not let him do this. I know its tempting, but, it will not teach this kid anything but to quit and throw a fit to get your way! Football is not about that, teach him a life lesson new woodbridge coach. Have a pair!
Dude you have no idea...

Dude you have no idea...

Dude needs to crawl out of the dark ages... its not 1975 anymore and coaches can't take their players around in a convertible while hitting the Jack bottle anymore either lol

The good ole days...

674549b9c2e64f2e1a9c0644bc3f1d48.jpg

Reactions: delawarenole
More talking down on the coaches who will just let them on a team that they just quit on and was unhappy on that team. Backinblack, you are as clueless as they come. And from what everyone from tech is saying he was getting ready to get disciplined from the coaches and could not handle it. So don't suger coat it. have some balls and call it what it is. and if the Woodbridge coach lets him on the team then shame on him.

Man, I never understood why people speak on kids transferring as if they're in the home. These are kids. Whatever they have going on is none of our business. The rule is in place because you can't penalize the kid whose parents move and they have no say so in the matter. Furthermore, wells received an eligible player, so he played them. And Mr. Bell at Woodbridge would not be wrong to have an eligible player show up on his doorstep and play them. Animosity towards kids is pathetic and if they're doing something within the rules you are pathetic to get mad at it. simple.

Man, I never understood why people speak on kids transferring as if they're in the home. These are kids. Whatever they have going on is none of our business. The rule is in place because you can't penalize the kid whose parents move and they have no say so in the matter. Furthermore, wells received an eligible player, so he played them. And Mr. Bell at Woodbridge would not be wrong to have an eligible player show up on his doorstep and play them. Animosity towards kids is pathetic and if they're doing something within the rules you are pathetic to get mad at it. simple.
Well said, no one but the family and a few others really know what he is going through right now, its way deeper than any sport he has played. Thank you Fan

Delaware is probably one of the last places in the country where this aura or facade of purity surrounds its high school sports scene, so a kid transferring mid season will ruffle feathers whereas it's business as usual in places that have come into the 21st century.

if the kids home zoned school was Seaford I doubt anyone would care. It just happens to be his zoned school Woodbridge.. :eek: What if were Delmar Southdude would be...

chill44 you are full of it......and any coach that plays players that transfer in the middle of the season is pathetic, especially if they are running. and gate, so as long as its business as usual that makes it ok... you are pathetic

chill44 you are full of it......and any coach that plays players that transfer in the middle of the season is pathetic, especially if they are running. and gate, so as long as its business as usual that makes it ok... you are pathetic
My question to you is why are you so upset about a decision that has nothing to do with you? I’m sure Ricky Kane did nothing to you for you to be so upset or for you to even say things about the kid like “he was a cancer to the team” like what? Why would you even say that...Team captain...QB...friends with everyone on the team...it’s way bigger than football dude.

If the rumors are true... Kane was talking trash on his team mates and coaches after the Smyrna loss. The coaching staff decided to suspend him a game. Instead of admitting his wrong he bails. Hats off to the tech coaching staff. The bridge is winning without Kane. I’d say to keep a good culture bell doesn’t even think about allowing him on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT