6th Patrick McAuliffe Gonzaga
OW- 106 Gabe Giampietro 9 Smyrna
Team Scores
1- Smyrna 224.5
2- McDonogh 210.5
3- St Johns College 156.5
4- Caravel Academy 156
5- St Georges Tech 126.5

looks like Delaware wrestlers kicked some serious butt at the Oliver.. nice job 302

Caravel seemingly had several transfers during the off season. Not certain as to why but yes, it looks as though they have a few studs.

@Sparty

HC- Mike Welch
Asst- Jordan Sianni
Asst-Raul Mendoza
Asst- new guy dont know name

My son and Clint Ferrazzo are volunteer coaching as well

very positive and family vibe going on in that room.coaches aren't screamers or use negative reinforcement. its been like that since Welch and company came.. my son loved being coached by those guys and being part of the family so much he never left lol.. word is getting around and kids are wanting to come and be part of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: spartakos
@Sparty

HC- Mike Welch
Asst- Jordan Sianni
Asst-Raul Mendoza
Asst- new guy dont know name

My son and Clint Ferrazzo are volunteer coaching as well

very positive and family vibe going on in that room.coaches aren't screamers or use negative reinforcement. its been like that since Welch and company came.. my son loved being coached by those guys and part of the family so much he never left lol.. word is getting around and kids are wanting to come and be part it.
Saw a picture of the team and the unknown coach is former Howard coach Tim Casey. I wasn’t aware he was back on the scene. I have heard nothing but great things about him from his former wrestlers.

Not to take anything away from the them or what they’re doing, but I’d still prefer an old school hard nosed guy, and some kids still want that too. wrestling is and always will be a tough guy sport. The world is soft enough as it is. Just my opinion.

Not to take anything away from the them or what they’re doing, but I’d still prefer an old school hard nosed guy, and some kids still want that too. wrestling is and always will be a tough guy sport. The world is soft enough as it is. Just my opinion.

Two Hodgson wrestlers who wrestled under Lamey with 6 DE State titles combined and an NCAA D1 All-American, plus a volunteer who won a state title... what more could you ask for? You would take some old man that yells all practice and shows you technique from the 70’s- 80’s. Lol

Didn’t say old man. Said old school. You’re just saying as if coach who yells is negative and they all should be nice nice guys. There are plenty of coaching staffs with good wrestling pedigrees that are hard nosed. Again just an opinion.

I’m just saying that kids respond to people who have done it and can be patient during the process of development. Not some guy that rips them constantly. If most people’s bosses went hard nose on them today, that boss would be reprimanded. The Jack Holloway stuff doesn’t work anymore. Don’t remember seeing Kurt yelling and going hard on his guys and He seemed to do well

Didn’t say old man. Said old school. You’re just saying as if coach who yells is negative and they all should be nice nice guys. There are plenty of coaching staffs with good wrestling pedigrees that are hard nosed. Again just an opinion.
Gotcha. I do respect your opinion. I’ve had the hard nosed coaches that I responded to but there is a niche for the guys that handle things in a calm manner. I personally think Jordan Sianni is hard nosed

Unless you were in the room that’s tough to speak on. And I wouldn’t say the jack hollowoy stuff doesn’t work, some kids like to be coached tough. Many programs would look good getting freshman coming in that could immediately win or place at states. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t put one way of coaching down versus another, every kid and every situation is different.

Unless you were in the room that’s tough to speak on. And I wouldn’t say the jack hollowoy stuff doesn’t work, some kids like to be coached tough. Many programs would look good getting freshman coming in that could immediately win or place at states. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t put one way of coaching down versus another, every kid and every situation is different.
Well said. I would think the staff at CA is doing something right to get the talented young guys they are getting but time will tell if their approach helps develop the discipline needed to be successful in the long run and the next level

Reactions: DEgrappler
Seems like they have some good coaching up there. And it also seems that some younger talent may continue transferring there from bigger schools with the hopes of grabbing a varsity spot as freshman or sophomore. I can see how that would draw some kids in, versus getting stuck behind a stud for 2 years and waiting their turn as juniors or w.e

Reactions: BackinBlack86
no one said anything about being soft.. lol..positive and competitive,, Coach Welch competes in marathons, biathlons, and triathlons.. Has qualified and ran in the last 4 Boston Marathons and finished well.. The boys train hard and learn to compete and they teach them all the same from the 1st year kid to the experienced stud.. Just need to get some of the bigger football players in the room to fill those heavier weight classes.

where did caravel get all those freshman?? had a ton of those place and 2 9th grade winners?

Got an answer. Some were 8th graders at CA last year but the influx of talent is parents and kids who followed Nick Hall one of the top rated wrestlers in the country and should do very well at the Beast. These kids have been in the same wrestling community together and came as a group. Anyway the kids followed him to Caravel so things just came together from there. Also the other Poore is an 8th grader and wasn’t allowed to wrestle at Oliver or it would have been 4 1st place finishers

As to why Caravel it was just a good fit. Openings for them to wrestle varsity right away, good decorated coaches, positive family atmosphere and quality academics as well as a school that is very supportive of their athletic programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dahammer23
Got an answer. Some were 8th graders at CA last year but the influx of talent is parents and kids who followed Nick Hall one of the top rated wrestlers in the country and should do very well at the Beast. These kids have been in the same wrestling community together and came as a group. Anyway the kids followed him to Caravel so things just came together from there. Also the other Poore is an 8th grader and wasn’t allowed to wrestle at Oliver or it would have been 4 1st place finishers

As to why Caravel it was just a good fit. Openings for them to wrestle varsity right away, good decorated coaches, positive family atmosphere and quality academics as well as a school that is very supportive of their athletic programs.
You’ve got some bad info @BackinBlack86. The original post asks where Caravel got all these Freshman? The only Freshman that are new to the school are Hall & Knight. So no influx of talent, two new kids to a school. I can absolutely guarantee you one of them is going there because his Mom is an alumnus. The true part of your statement is the Poore’s already we’re at Caravel & the younger kids are all very good friends & have been wrestling together for years and all ended up at the same school for different reasons. But can also guarantee you they are all very independent young men and not a one of them is following anyone anywhere!!!!

Don't think I got bad info dilly dilly but was half asleep when I got it. I am guessing I got things misconstrued some. There certainly is an influx of talent on the HS wrestling team though whether that be middle schoolers coming up to HS, or incoming freshman deciding to go to CA for HS (which I dont consider transfers no different than kids that go to CA for elementary and middle then go to HS somewhere else) or a 11th grade transfer. Point is the kids winning and placing at these early tournaments only two were on the roster last year hence influx of talent and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that so no reason for anyone to be defensive about it, Kids can go to school where they want for whatever reason they want. My point was CA seems to be attractive to the young wresting kids and that's a good thing. I didn't realize the Poore kids were there last year though but now I think on it I remember JS telling me last year they had some talent coming up from the middle school next year. This team kind of reminds me of the Sanford teams 4 or 5 years ago tons of young talent in the lighter weight groups and like I said they need to get some bigger boys in the room. Thats just my opinion though. all that said its a hell of a start for the team this year and I am looking forward to watching them wrestle

Last edited:
Now that the record has been set straight... for one reason or another, the kids are at caravel now. Not certain that it matters to most why they went. Most are happy to see an upstate team building and competitive again.. I’m guessing this is a sore subject to some?

Now that the record has been set straight... for one reason or another, the kids are at caravel now. Not certain that it matters to most why they went. Most are happy to see an upstate team building and competitive again.. I’m guessing this is a sore subject to some?
CA 113 transfered from CR is a senior.

After seeing all these results I personally think caravel has a excellent chance of bringing home a state team title if not this year definitely really soon. This team is definitely on the fast track for success. Who would be their biggest challenges?

Reactions: spartakos
After seeing all these results I personally think caravel has a excellent chance of bringing home a state team title if not this year definitely really soon. This team is definitely on the fast track for success. Who would be their biggest challenges?
They dont match up well with Milford this year. Milford will be D1 next year so it would have to be a 2020 question in my opinion

Wow really? It sounds to me by looking at what they have achieved they could match up well with just about anyone?

Ill take a stab at it
Tough with kids dropping and unknowns factors
Milford solid down low enough to offset CA studs and limit bonus
Milford good all the way up with no holes and multiple backups that would start nearly everywhere else

106 great match no bonus
113 great match no bonus
120 ca but doubt bonus
126 ca but doubt bonus
132 ca
138 toss up
145 ca hall
152 Milford
160 Milford
170 Milford
182 Milford
195 Milford
220 Milford
Hwt Milford

Last edited:
That's interesting looks like it could be a 7-7 split by your picks in which bonus points would decide that match.

or his family could have moved up this way.. not that I have any knowledge of the situation but that is also a possibility

or his family could have moved up this way.. not that I have any knowledge of the situation but that is also a possibility
Very true, I didn’t think about that possibility. So use to kids bouncing all around these days- the thought never even crosses my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT