ADVERTISEMENT

Ship Saturday scores and comments

Smyrna's defense is just as good as the offense. Defense is not as glamorous so it typically doesn't get credit unless the offense is mediocre.

Wouldn't go that far Jack but they played unbelievable today. I've seen a ton of Middletown highlight clips and that QB is the real deal and the coaches had a scheme that had him all twisted up. Great job by the players and coaches.

Frye throws one pretty ball though.

I do have to concur. Defenses wins championships......Smyrna has one great defense and it does get under looked because of their offense.

The growth that defense has taken since last season, is incredible.
Credit to Judy and his staff.

Much different playing vs a cover 2 than vs a man scheme like Penn employed...check downs become essential... somehow I think Marks had a hand in Smyrna's scheme defensively .. just a hunch

Much different playing vs a cover 2 vs a man scheme like Penn employed...check downs become essential... somehow I think Marks had a hand in Smyrna's scheme defensively .. just a hunch

Do you think Marks bolts for another job? Why is he even coaching in high school if he has pro experience? I'm glad we have him and hope he stays at least 1 more year

I'm partial but the Smyrna coaching staff is head and shoulders above anyone in this state. Shout out to Coach Drass...the Bellichek of DE football. I heard the game plan early in the week to run, run, run, and these boys were all in.

How'd that top defense thing work out for everyone?

MHS--2016 Pre-Season Champions

Smyrna Eagles--2016 DIAA D1 CHAMPIONS

Much different playing vs a cover 2 than vs a man scheme like Penn employed...check downs become essential... somehow I think Marks had a hand in Smyrna's scheme defensively .. just a hunch

Forgive me, I'm just catching up but Marks, as much as I love him had nothing to do w/the D. Cudo's to Coach Judy and Wagner.

This staff coaches these boys all season for today's game. I'm sure they won't always have that luxury but for the second year in a row, the Smy defense answered the call when it mattered most.

Smyrna has a great team, but that could've won by 50 stuff is a stretch. It was 20-14 in the 4th and we had a couple bad turnovers that provided a short field. You know Coach Judy was concerned when he ran the earthquake package the whole 2nd half essentially and had LB playing safety. These two teams will be in the finals again next year, mark it down.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that was game planned. Good luck next year.

I'm partial but the Smyrna coaching staff is head and shoulders above anyone in this state. Shout out to Coach Drass...the Bellichek of DE football. I heard the game plan early in the week to run, run, run, and these boys were all in.

How'd that top defense thing work out for everyone?

MHS--2016 Pre-Season Champions

Smyrna Eagles--2016 DIAA D1 CHAMPIONS

Damn right.

How many rushing yards do you think they had? Knight probably had 200+, LB4 with another 150+, Nolan had probably 50.

400+ on the best defense everrrrrr?

Reactions: DENative
Forgive me, I'm just catching up but Marks, as much as I love him had nothing to do w/the D. Cudo's to Coach Judy and Wagner.

This staff coaches these boys all season for today's game. I'm sure they won't always have that luxury but for the second year in a row, the Smy defense answered the call when it mattered most.
lo
Damn right.

How many rushing yards do you think they had? Knight probably had 200+, LB4 with another 150+, Nolan had probably 50.

400+ on the best defense everrrrrr?
Lol.. Might be a 3 peat....

DE Native- congrats to your son and the team/coaches.
The coaches do a wonderful job with schemes and film breakdown-it has been obvious to anybody who understands the game. And Smyrna clearly showed who has the best D. As I said earlier.....36-14 was the final but coulda been by 40 or 50. I am not saying that to insult anyone but Smyrna controlled the pace. Cavs D had no answer to stop the run.........long day.
Congrats to both teams (all teams) for a great season!!

The coaches do a wonderful job with schemes and film breakdown-it has been obvious to anybody who understands the game. And Smyrna clearly showed who has the best D. As I said earlier.....36-14 was the final but coulda been by 40 or 50. I am not saying that to insult anyone but Smyrna controlled the pace. Cavs D had no answer to stop the run.........long day.

Yeah. Game wasn't anywhere near as close as the score indicates. Smyrna moved the ball up and down the field all day only to shoot themselves in the foot a couple times. I say they left 20+ points on the board.....and still scored 36. Very special team.

Take away the onside kick disaster and Middletown maybe scores just once.

I like to apologize in advance but I've heard so much crap about a Sept scrimmage win which featured an announcer, cheerleaders, chest bumps at mid field after 3 qtrs of play of Smy closing the playbook and throwing 18 WR screens..and MT players telling our coaches FU afterwards that all left a bad taste in my mouth. If that's what some think HS sports are about, they're missing the boat.
Alledgedly, there was a pep rally for the scrimmage too. SHS didn't even have a pep rally for this game. They just took care of business. A tribute to the program and school.

Can't we just get along! Ref's had a couple bad calls but most were legit...once they blow one call, our fans did not let up on them.

However, how their priority isn't on protecting kids from late hits is beside me. Two on Nolan today right in front of ref's and no call. That'll be another topic at a future date.

Reactions: Jawnsky
I like to apologize in advance but I've heard so much crap about a Sept scrimmage win which featured an announcer, cheerleaders, chest bumps at mid field after 3 qtrs of play of Smy closing the playbook and throwing 18 WR screens..and MT players telling our coaches FU afterwards that all left a bad taste in my mouth. If that's what some think HS sports are about, they're missing the boat.
Alledgedly, there was a pep rally for the scrimmage too. SHS didn't even have a pep rally for this game. They just took care of business. A tribute to the program and school.

Their an obnoxious team to say the least.

@Jawnsky
Thank you...bittersweet that he'll never wear the Smy red and white again. Special times, special team, special community.

You guys are great....Already said Smyrna has a great team. MT left points on the board by not running 4 times from the 5. I can see you guys are in an orgasmic state right now celebrating your win as you should...if you're from Smyrna. All you St Marks, Sallie's fans and others that are hating...more L's at the hands of MT coming next year. Savor while you can.

Reactions: PickleEveryEndNow
You guys are great....Already said Smyrna has a great team. MT left points on the board by not running 4 times from the 5. I can see you guys are in an orgasmic state right now celebrating your win as you should...if you're from Smyrna. All you St Marks, Sallie's fans and others that are hating...more L's at the hands of MT coming next year. Savor while you can.

St. Marks doesn't play Middletown. Spartans are DII.

Best D ever...bwahaha. That D was Swiss cheese! To misquote the great Dennis Green.. "They weren't who we thought they were!"

Last edited:
St. Marks doesn't play Middletown. Spartans are DII.

Funny right? He said "all you St. Marks and Sallies fans that be hating" and I was like

4e20d9c943b79e633d396ebf59c4bd0d.jpg

Middletown has been good for like 50 years and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Had smyrna not beat t
Funny right? He said "all you St. Marks and Sallies fans that be hating" and I was like

4e20d9c943b79e633d396ebf59c4bd0d.jpg

Hahhahahaha. Seriously. Hahhaha. That's the one funny/interesting/clever thing you've ever said. In your life.

Seriously tho. That picture tho. Cracking me up

was swiss cheese because of the scheme. really? 5 in the box? Not the players fault thats for sure

So are you saying Middletown wins that game if they put 6 or 7 in the box? They would have been shredded through the air. Whitehead can only cover one guy at a time...

no one said that,,, stop spinning shit..

It was an honest question Old Top. You said it wasn't the players fault their coaches only had 5 in the box. I was asking if you thought the outcome would have been different had they had more hats in the box....which i assumed you were saying otherwise why say it?

"5 in the box? Not the players fault for sure"

Smyrna was obviously the better team but MT had their chances.. There was a play very late in the 3rd when Delpercio broke free down the sidelines and Fry just overthrew him.. They connect on that, tie it up and this game takes on a different complexity.. the point I was making is it never should have been that close at that juncture.. .. MT couldn't make the plays in the end and the better team won but Smyrna could have salted this game away by halftime

Last edited:
Reactions: runningman12001
.@FoxSports1290 Offensive Player of Year: Will Knight, @smyrnahs. Defensive Player of Year: Spencer Harbert, @MHSCAVSPride #delhs

Congrats to Will Knight, the @FoxSports1290 Championship game MVP. 4 TDs. #delhs

Both Buzby tweets

Nobody here that is butt hurt fellas....Smyrna has has a deep team and are well coached. They won the chip, deservedly so....MT will be back, look forward to the game in September already.

Reactions: DENative
That was a HORRIBLE call and one of many against Smyrna. Had to battle the team in blue AND the team in stripes
OK explain the rule? and why it was bad.. First off did the defenders contact the receiver while the ball was in the air? Thats an easy yes.. PI by HS rules

I understand the losing teams fans blaming the officials .. but the winning team crying about the officials is a first... Smyrna fans have broken new ground here,, who the hell would want to be a official now.. take poo from the losing teams fans and the winning team.. you couldn't pay me enough .. hell just shoot them in the parking lot

OK explain the rule? and why it was bad.. First off did the defenders contact the receiver while the ball was in the air? Thats an easy yes.. PI by HS rules
Had nothing to do with the height of the pass. Smyrna DB did nothing. That ref calls and on sportsmanlike again Smyrna bench too. Ridiculous call as well as the phantom holding call on Letty Brown's touchdown No worries. Better team won despite the stripes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT