ADVERTISEMENT

Ship Saturday scores and comments

OK explain the rule? and why it was bad.. First off did the defenders contact the receiver while the ball was in the air? Thats an easy yes.. PI by HS rules

I understand the losing teams fans blaming the officials .. but the winning team crying about the officials is a first... Smyrna fans have broken new ground here,, who the hell would want to be a official now.. take poo from the losing teams fans and the winning team.. you couldn't pay me enough .. hell just shoot them in the parking lot

I recall multiple posters saying how horrible caravels fans are and how much they bitch and moan and are unbelievably disrespectful.

Smyrna isn't at their level yet

It was an honest question Old Top. You said it wasn't the players fault their coaches only had 5 in the box. I was asking if you thought the outcome would have been different had they had more hats in the box....which i assumed you were saying otherwise why say it?

"5 in the box? Not the players fault for sure"
no one knows what the outcome would be..but MT should have rolled those dice because 5 in wasnt working,, maybe they get a pick or whatever or maybe Hendo rips em apart who knows but you have to do something different

More caravel fans overall or more whiney ones?

I'll agree with the latter. The former...nah. See them stands today, Buck? Caravel never brought out that many people for a game
dude every fan base has those ref haters.. they all congregate at the top of the stands and most of them dont even know the rules.. yeah Smyrna has more because they have more fans.. the chorus of boos that resonated across UD from the red side on every single call vs Smyrna even though the call was obvious was silly on their part ,, un called for really,, have some respect for authority and those willing to take the shit to officiate a kids game for peanuts

Reactions: runningman12001
OK explain the rule? and why it was bad.. First off did the defenders contact the receiver while the ball was in the air? Thats an easy yes.. PI by HS rules

I understand the losing teams fans blaming the officials .. but the winning team crying about the officials is a first... Smyrna fans have broken new ground here,, who the hell would want to be a official now.. take poo from the losing teams fans and the winning team.. you couldn't pay me enough .. hell just shoot them in the parking lot

Guess our standards are higher than most. B@$ch and moan on the losing end and you're belly aching.

dude every fan base has those ref haters.. they all congregate at the top of the stands and most of them dont even know the rules.. yeah Smyrna has more because they have more fans.. the chorus of boos that resonated across UD from the red side on every single call vs Smyrna even though the call was obvious was silly on their part ,, un called for really,, have some respect for authority and those willing to take the shit to officiate a kids game for peanuts

RR- that's why I looked to Vert for feedback on the PI call. I knew that contact resulted in PI regardless of whether or not the ball was catchable. My question on that was the ball had already left the field of play- It was way outside the lines before contact took place......no matter though- refs did not determine the game. I fully agree with DeNative- at least one shot on QB was a personal foul. I have no clue how they missed it-its clear on tape.

Reactions: DENative
Like Native said- we can save this topic for the off season but the youth and hs intentional ground rules have to change!

RR- that's why I looked to Vert for feedback on the PI call. I knew that contact resulted in PI regardless of whether or not the ball was catchable. My question on that was the ball had already left the field of play- It was way outside the lines before contact took place......no matter though- refs did not determine the game. I fully agree with DeNative- at least one shot on QB was a personal foul. I have no clue how they missed it-its clear on tape.
If it is still in the air its PI doesnt matter if its in the stands

Reactions: Jawnsky
who's belly aching? I didnt care who won,, If anything I was pulling for Smyrna..wtf

@rr
Don't start w/me! Lol. Meant if coaches/players/fans belly ache when we lose, it's belly aching. We're doing it after a win. Like I said, not all on the refs but the refereeing was average at best. If you football experts think this crew performed at a state championship level, then I'm confused. They didn't even have confidence in their calls. I expected better.

@rr
Don't start w/me! Lol. Meant if coaches/players/fans belly ache when we lose, it's belly aching. We're doing it after a win. Like I said, not all on the refs but the refereeing was average at best. If you football experts think this crew performed at a state championship level, then I'm confused. They didn't even have confidence in their calls. I expected better.
good enough .. its cool

Not exactly sure what you mean by change intnetional grounding rule? What should be changed?
In HS you cant just roll out of the pocket and throw it away.. It has to be an attempted pass toward an eligible receiver.. Talking about the NFL outside the pocket rule

In HS you cant just roll out of the pocket and throw it away.. It has to be an attempted pass toward an eligible receiver.. Talking about the NFL outside the pocket rule

Truthfully spiking the ball to stop the clock is technically against HS rules the refs just overlook it.. unless the rules changed recently

I don't know the district lines, but I'm quite sure Middletown is quite alright. Tradition, legacy and reputation usually beats out new schools, really can't say that anymore because look at Newark and St. Mark's, but Middletown High's community is too strong to let the football team decline.
lines dont mean anything with school choice..the top MOT football players will still choice to MT as long as they hold the hammer

It's not the result...it's the process to get there. You think these refs performed at a championship caliber?

For as critical as everyone is one here about the student athletes, how about holding the refs accountable. And I'd like to reiteerate that they weren't awful, just not championship caliber. And there were plenty on neutral fans around me who complained also.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDEnd97
Maybe the officiating wasn't great but in my opinion you're disrespecting your opponent by criticizing the refs after a win.

Sounds like the Smyrna faithful wanted to win by a wider margin.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
It's not the result...it's the process to get there. You think these refs performed at a championship caliber?
I think they did the best they could and didnt have any biased towards any team.. were they perfect no but what the hell do you expect? they are not pros just guys trying to be there for the kids and do the best they can.. Hell the NFL refs mess up all the time . try being a ref once its not easy

Personally, the only flag I questioned was the one that brought the td because it was thrown after the rb was in end zone back at like the 20. Smyrna was a pick your poison team. I personally would made the Qb beat me that 25 is too good. I think in high school that is always the way to go. The Qb is a 1aa signee but the receivers still have to catch it under pressure in a big game. I think that Smyrna scored first was important. I thought they played loose the whole game even when they were briefly behind. I sat on the Middletown side and thought they felt a lot of pressure to score every time they had the ball. I thought the same thing going into the game that Middletown would have to take an early lead to settle their kids down. Everybody can read the paper and see the video game numbers they put and that puts pressure on young kids. Middletown had chances but didn't capitalize. I said earlier the Smyrna coach is the difference

Reactions: ravensrooster2
I thought all four teams played with allot of passion. Congrats to Smyrna and Woodbridge. I have to say Smyrna Def won the game. The Off played well but that was what we all thought. I truly thought Middletown would score some points on teh secondary of Smyrna. But Kudos to the Smyrna Def. Back to Back is special congrats. But in defeat Friends and Coach Tattersal he is Div II Coach of the year.

I'm looking at the perspective of refereeing only...how have I disrespected MT in discussing the refs? And to want to win by a wider margin is insane. Anyone who knows me and has played for me would argue that case. I've said at least twice that they weren't awful just not championship game caliber. If you think their best effort is ok, then that's interesting. I'm thinking if a crew of refs performance is based on effort and not performance, then there's something wrong w/the system of selecting said refs. Both teams competing for a chip deserve better. The execution and process was average...once again I expected better. Not complaining about the day by no means.

Last edited:
Personally, the only flag I questioned was the one that brought the td because it was thrown after the rb was in end zone back at like the 20. Smyrna was a pick your poison team. I personally would made the Qb beat me that 25 is too good. I think in high school that is always the way to go. The Qb is a 1aa signee but the receivers still have to catch it under pressure in a big game. I think that Smyrna scored first was important. I thought they played loose the whole game even when they were briefly behind. I sat on the Middletown side and thought they felt a lot of pressure to score every time they had the ball. I thought the same thing going into the game that Middletown would have to take an early lead to settle their kids down. Everybody can read the paper and see the video game numbers they put and that puts pressure on young kids. Middletown had chances but didn't capitalize. I said earlier the Smyrna coach is the difference
Cash I agree.. I would have made the Qb beat me Brown and Knight were too much to stop w 5 in the box,, Doubt MT could have stopped the air game anyway but at least try and make them do it at least at the half when it was obvious you cant stop the run .. close it down and take your chances vs the pass.. but of course woulda shoulda coulda is easy from the stands lol

I thought all four teams played with allot of passion. Congrats to Smyrna and Woodbridge. I have to say Smyrna Def won the game. The Off played well but that was what we all thought. I truly thought Middletown would score some points on teh secondary of Smyrna. But Kudos to the Smyrna Def. Back to Back is special congrats. But in defeat Friends and Coach Tattersal he is Div II Coach of the year.

Tattersal has the best coached team in the state that is certain

I don't like to criticize high school refs much . Not sure what you're expecting. Guys doing it for fun and not making much to do it. Nobody wants to be a ref anymore either and who can blame them . Getting booed after every call. If people think they can do better then go sign up. Always a shortage .

I have no issue with criticizing college refs (especially the awful big 10 guys) and pros but high school guys are mostly doing the best they can.

I don't like to criticize high school refs much . Not sure what you're expecting. Guys doing it for fun and not making much to do it. Nobody wants to be a ref anymore either and who can blame them . Getting booed after every call. If people think they can do better then go sign up. Always a shortage .

I have no issue with criticizing college refs (especially the awful big 10 guys) and pros but high school guys are mostly doing the best they can.
Well stated.

How do you feel about criticizing players? That happens a lot on here by some and I don't recall you being so defensive.

The refs are big boys and they get paid and this was the biggest game of the year. Fact of the matter is they were just kinda shitty at best, at worst they were pathetically incompetant. I would say they were more towards the latter for forgetting what down it was alone. The PI, missed interception and 20 other penalties were just added fuel to the fire

I can't control everyone booing...not sure how you're making that my responsibility. However, when you're allowing late hits and don't make calls, i do have a problem w/that. Why you're making this you're problem is a mystery to me.
What did I expect? Championship caliber refs!...and we(MT and Smy) were shorted today. Effort is great for volunteers at my 10 year old daughters softball game...not for a HS championship game. I really can't understand how so called FB fans don't see it this way. You guys are defending grown men paid to do a job who were selected by their peers as the best in the state...I defend student athletes and it's a huge circus on here. Put on your big boy pants and tell it like it is...you guys do w/the kids.

I can't control everyone booing...not sure how you're making that my responsibility. However, when you're allowing late hits and don't make calls, i do have a problem w/that. Why you're making this you're problem is a mystery to me.
What did I expect? Championship caliber refs!...and we(MT and Smy) were shorted today. Effort is great for volunteers at my 10 year old daughters softball game...not for a HS championship game. I really can't understand how so called FB fans don't see it this way. You guys are defending grown men paid to do a job who were selected by their peers as the best in the state...I defend student athletes and it's a huge circus on here. Put on your big boy pants and tell it like it is...you guys do w/the kids.
Let's recalibrate----your team won the game and honestly the refs had no bearing on the outcome.

How do you feel about criticizing players? That happens a lot on here by some and I don't recall you being so defensive.

The refs are big boys and they get paid and this was the biggest game of the year. Fact of the matter is they were just kinda shitty at best, at worst they were pathetically incompetant. I would say they were more towards the latter for forgetting what down it was alone. The PI, missed interception and 20 other penalties were just added fuel to the fire

We get it Pickled Boy - you're not happy with the Refs, especially when they forgot what down it was - how many times do ya have to say it??? Let it go already!!

Well sir because the calls were legit unless you have Red glasses on... if they weren't we would say so..

Just looked over the D2 post...nothing mentioned about refs. That's b/c they got one of the best Northern crews there was. So, I guess it's just Pickle and I complaining...both of which are also celebrating a D1 chip. To quote a HS official, "the kids deserve better."

Just looked over the D2 post...nothing mentioned about refs. That's b/c they got one of the best Northern crews there was. So, I guess it's just Pickle and I complaining...both of which are also celebrating a D1 chip. To quote a HS official, "the kids deserve better."
your fighting a losing battle take your ship and ring and enjoy.. wtf.. only the losers cry about the refs dont you know that?

Let's recalibrate----your team won the game and honestly the refs had no bearing on the outcome.

Ok, as I said before, if we complained about the refs after an L, we'd be bellyaching.

You can read all my posts...I said it wasn't all on them...I just expected better.

Let's just leave it as my expectations of championship caliber is different than everyone else's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT