ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 by Position (Kinda)

SmallWonderSports

Tackles too high
Nov 17, 2012
Since everyone is asking for it...Top 5 by Position. There are positions that I don’t know enough names, sorry. In the least, worth conversation.

QB:
1. Fry - Middletown...No contest
2. Magee - Dover...Nice dual-threat option
3. Haynes - Woodbridge...Proven winner, underrated athlete, numbers hurt by system
4. Jones - AI...Can chuck it, system inflates numbers.
5. Barnes - Central...Solid athlete, dual threat, numbers hurt by system

HM: Nelson - Friends, Henry - Hodgson, Trader - Delmar, Harley - Howard

RB:
1. Peace - Dover...No contest
2. Allene - DMA
3. Kane - Woodbridge
4. Whaley - Smyrna...Big shoes to fill
5. Robinson - CR...Underrated

HM: Dennard - Delmar, Benson - St. G, Chung - Howard, Reed - Central, Richard Massey - Woodbridge, Hale - Hodgson

WR:
1. Guthrie - Middletown
2. Wescott - Woodbridge
3. Johnston - Middletown
4. Roberts - Smyrna
5. Lynch - A.I.

HM: McCabe - Friends (Stud), Douglas - Hodgson, Teagle - Middletown, Dantley - A.I., Regan - Sals

TE:
1. Bushweller - Sals
2. Fields - Middletown
3. Burke - CR
4. Marcello - St. Marks
5. Covington - Delmar

OL:
1. Wormley - Smyrna
2. Argo - S. Tech
3. Anyawu - Dover
4. Corvil - Milford
5. Cartwright - St. Marks

DL:
1. Lilly - Delmar
2. Bushweller - Sals
3. Moyer - Archmere

LB:
1. Williams - Smyrna (Far and away)
2. Keeler - Woodbridge

DB:
1. Wescott - Woodbridge

Returner:
1. Reed - Central
2. Lynch - A.I.
3. Johnston - Middletown
4. R. Massey - Woodbridge

Reactions: WayneJay
I appreciate the list. I am just kinda getting into the DE high school football scene. I wish I could spend more time out there watching the games. Again, I do not know much about these guys but the list included equal amounts of upstate/downstate schools and div 1 and div 2. So, a very thorough job.

Agreed - he's the best senior transfer Caravel got this year.
You could have stopped at agreed. But I love the added sentence. It gives it a little substance.
I know nothing about the situation but it would have been tough for me to transfer as a senior. As I read through the boards, it does not seem like he is heading there for a better opportunity as a TE.

I don’t know the circumstances of the transfer either but the DIAA approved the hardship waiver so it is legit whatever the reason. The DIAA has history of being tough on Caravel students waiver requests so it must be kosher

Since everyone is asking for it...Top 5 by Position. There are positions that I don’t know enough names, sorry. In the least, worth conversation.

QB:
1. Fry - Middletown...No contest
2. Magee - Dover...Nice dual-threat option
3. Haynes - Woodbridge...Proven winner, underrated athlete, numbers hurt by system
4. Jones - AI...Can chuck it, system inflates numbers.
5. Barnes - Central...Solid athlete, dual threat, numbers hurt by system

HM: Nelson - Friends, Henry - Hodgson, Trader - Delmar, Harley - Howard

RB:
1. Peace - Dover...No contest
2. Allene - DMA
3. Kane - Woodbridge
4. Whaley - Smyrna...Big shoes to fill
5. Robinson - CR...Underrated

HM: Dennard - Delmar, Benson - St. G, Chung - Howard, Reed - Central, Richard Massey - Woodbridge, Hale - Hodgson

WR:
1. Guthrie - Middletown
2. Wescott - Woodbridge
3. Johnston - Middletown
4. Roberts - Smyrna
5. Lynch - A.I.

HM: McCabe - Friends (Stud), Douglas - Hodgson, Teagle - Middletown, Dantley - A.I., Regan - Sals

TE:
1. Bushweller - Sals
2. Fields - Middletown
3. Burke - CR
4. Marcello - St. Marks
5. Covington - Delmar

OL:
1. Wormley - Smyrna
2. Argo - S. Tech
3. Anyawu - Dover
4. Corvil - Milford
5. Cartwright - St. Marks

DL:
1. Lilly - Delmar
2. Bushweller - Sals
3. Moyer - Archmere

LB:
1. Williams - Smyrna (Far and away)
2. Keeler - Woodbridge

DB:
1. Wescott - Woodbridge

Returner:
1. Reed - Central
2. Lynch - A.I.
3. Johnston - Middletown
4. R. Massey - Woodbridge
How you gona have more returners than LB’s and DB’s???

How you gona have more returners than LB’s and DB’s???

Because he is like most fans and press today. They only recognize offense and TD’s. Real football people understand defense. Chicks dig the homerun right?

New to the forum. Name is Scootch, Mr Scootch to you

Why was the DMA running back ranked #1 in the paper if he isn’t better than the Dover kid?

Also, the Smyrna receiver was a 2x first team all state player and he’s ranked behind two Middletown kids? Are you basing off what production you’re expecting or skill?

Also, Kane is the best running back.

Scootch out

New to the forum. Name is Scootch, Mr Scootch to you

Why was the DMA running back ranked #1 in the paper if he isn’t better than the Dover kid?

Also, the Smyrna receiver was a 2x first team all state player and he’s ranked behind two Middletown kids? Are you basing off what production you’re expecting or skill?

Also, Kane is the best running back.

Scootch out
Look at his stats from last year. Numbers don’t lie.

This is probably why people shy away from sharing their opinions as they’re scrutizinized on here - with no real substance from the peanut gallery. “Real football people” that is comical Raven - was simply sharing the names I know. Would love to hear you rattle off LB’s and DB’s across the state without referencing prior publications or Caravel Buccaneers.

The soon to be Caravel TE I only saw once last year when he played downstate. Woodbridge shut him out and I left because the score was 42-0 at the half.

I have more returners than LB’s and DB’s because those names typically aren’t shared as much in the press.

Put Peace at DMA and watch what happens. Put some other receivers in Smyrna’s system and watch what happens. Numbers can be misleading at times based upon the systems run by teams.

This is probably why people shy away from sharing their opinions as they’re scrutizinized on here - with no real substance from the peanut gallery. “Real football people” that is comical Raven - was simply sharing the names I know. Would love to hear you rattle off LB’s and DB’s across the state without referencing prior publications or Caravel Buccaneers.

The soon to be Caravel TE I only saw once last year when he played downstate. Woodbridge shut him out and I left because the score was 42-0 at the half.

I have more returners than LB’s and DB’s because those names typically aren’t shared as much in the press.

Put Peace at DMA and watch what happens. Put some other receivers in Smyrna’s system and watch what happens. Numbers can be misleading at times based upon the systems run by teams.

So you’re basing off of skill and not projected production? That’s fine I’m just curious

I agree, if Peace played a D2 schedule he would have 3k yards

The real difference in the ability for a program to prosper is the academic standards. The standards for all of the Division 1 schools are so low, which allows those programs a bigger pool of which to utilize. The most athletic kids tend not to be able to even get accepted into the more academic rigorous school. We must not forget that we should publicize the student athlete not the athlete. The smaller schools give the student-athlete a better chance at being a successful college student.

Reactions: onejeron
The real difference in the ability for a program to prosper is the academic standards. The standards for all of the Division 1 schools are so low, which allows those programs a bigger pool of which to utilize. The most athletic kids tend not to be able to even get accepted into the more academic rigorous school. We must not forget that we should publicize the student athlete not the athlete. The smaller schools give the student-athlete a better chance at being a successful college student.

See this is what I'm talking about. No one on these boards want to talk about academics. After a 4 year Delaware high school football career then WHAT????

Reactions: 8484ron

Um most of the kids in this state go to whatever school district they live in. The bigger schools have a denser population to draw from, not lower standards per se.

But I do agree with you, the slow uncoordinated students tend to go to the stuffy private schools that are D2, the athletes stay in their home district and play ball

Um most of the kids in this state go to whatever school district they live in. The bigger schools have a denser population to draw from, not lower standards per se.

But I do agree with you, the slow uncoordinated students tend to go to the stuffy private schools that are D2, the athletes stay in their home district and play ball

My son goes to a D2 private and was in public K-8th. Was a 4.0 student and we wanted him to be challenged academically. Nothing slow or uncoordinated about him and some of the other D2 kids. It's called parents thinking about the next 40yrs....not just the next 4yrs. He could play at every D1 in Delaware and most of his former teammates that are at D1 schools would tell you that.

Your last statement shows that you don't do your homework. Most of the D2 privates have sent players to D1, D2, and D3 colleges every year.

My son goes to a D2 private and was in public K-8th. Was a 4.0 student and we wanted him to be challenged academically. Nothing slow or uncoordinated about him and some of the other D2 kids. It's called parents thinking about the next 40yrs....not just the next 4yrs. He could play at every D1 in Delaware and most of his former teammates that are at D1 schools would tell you that.

Your last statement shows that you don't do your homework. Most of the D2 privates have sent players to D1, D2, and D3 colleges every year.

Mmmhmmm

So you’re basing off of skill and not projected production? That’s fine I’m just curious

I agree, if Peace played a D2 schedule he would have 3k yards

100%. Numbers are great and I won’t discredit them, but who is a more projectable prospect? Peace over Allene all day. Guthrie or Wescott over Roberts and Lynch all day.

Just my opinion.

I knew that when I spoke about academics things would get sensitive. We have to look at these so called powerhouse programs and hold them accountable for failing the kids. I always wondered why the stadiums are always full of parents, friends, and family members, but the dining room table is empty during homework time. It takes a village to raise a kid, therefore these so-called supporters should be telling these kids to study as hard as they train.

Reactions: onejeron
@Footballfanindelaware, I agree, it takes a village when no one at home pays attention to academics. Unfortunately when the academics aren’t given attention at home, a lot of other things like respect and accountability are also out the window. It’s always easier to blame the system I guess.

"the slow uncoordinated students tend to go to the stuffy private schools that are D2"...not very nice but funny as hell! :)

I am blaming poor parenting not the education system
Agreed. I wouldn't give all of the blame to the school if my kids did poorly, nor all the credit if they were honors. Standards, habits, and expectations start at home. My kids were/are expected to play three sports (at least two senior year) for the good of the town, and be exceptional students for the good of themselves. Expectations started at five years old, so there were no surprises at high school age. I don't know what powerhouse programs are failing the kids as mentioned in another post. Hasn't been my experience with teams I am familiar with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT