ADVERTISEMENT

Top 75 High School players

Only thing I will disagree with. Offers are based on talent. So to say a kid who has a current offer has less talent then one that does not is not correct. I think the main problem is the players them selves including ones ranked above others have publicly said it was not a very good assement of talent. These athletes talk. I think to them it’s becoming more apparent how these things work. In the past before social media you could make mistakes print what you want make any list. No one would check you. Today the younger generations put far more stock into fair assessments. They rather not have the praise if they know it was not fair. They are also quick to fact check you and point out fraudulent reports. So just do your do diligence. Or keep the list ambiguous in nature. The reason we use analytics to break some of the ties we have in our evaluation is because it makes it a apples to apples comparison. Not different then combine testing.

Kids know also. For example if you have a DB on the list, and a WR that is not yet when they played the WR burned the DB over and over. Then say the WR has a college offer, and the DB does not. or perhaps even plays with the DB in 7 on 7 both know who the best player is. It makes the list a joke even to the ones on it. If they have real self awareness. Most of these younger athletes are more self aware then in the past. They actually value you fairness, it’s high up their hierarchy of needs.

Then the obvious is the list is more for parents. This website posting the list is trying to at Least make enough money to pay for the site. Parent sees list wonders if their kid is on it. Clicks and buys access to premium content. To generate more interest it Would make more sense to put someone number 1 that is maybe a bit controversial. Not saying that is what they did. I’m on the record saying how much I love the Athlete they picked. But im also not blinded by my personal preference to rank him over the clear cut best player. Again this is where you need to have some sort of analytics evaluation to separate bias. Easier to just make a list of ones to watch.

Prep sometimes you are on point and others you say some of the dumbest stuff. You have kids all the time that are 1 good to great in HS talent but without offers due to three big components exposure, grades and/or size. Yes there are many schools that will go to bat with their administration for a under qualified PSA for school admittance but the kid(s) has to be worth it based upon the level of the school. But that has nothing to do with if the kids is a higher talent than another that does get an offer.

The first judgement of top level school's is mainly the eye test, if kid doesn't pass the eye test there needs to be some other factor to persuade the recruiter to look further into the kid (stats, wow factor, good word from reliable source). The second thing is grades because a college assistant main job security is his recruits and if he is bring in talented low grade kids that flunk or drop out within a year or two consistently then his job is short lived. Third is character for pretty much the exact reasons as number 2 character holds weight in a kid being recruited and getting an offer. Unless the talent and size can massively over shadow 2 and 3 the scholly is not offered.

Now maybe you are truly unable to see that because you are able to look through a cloudy lens but many coaches including myself no how it goes with trying to get an undersized, low grade bad attitude with mounds of talent PSA into school.

Give you a couple of examples.
Lynch from AI is #1 wr on this list talented kid good grades and has proven on the field to have the talent. Currently holds 1 offer to a D2 school. Why just that? Size/Speed equation doesn't match he is about 5'10 and not very fast. Not many know about him.

Another example the other way, the CB from Howard last season has been widely criticize about not being a good as DB and consistently beat in coverage. Received a scholly to UCONN. Nice kid and able to progress with his goals but primary reason for getting his 1 and only offer. 6'1 195 good speed and 3.5+ GPA and UCONN severally needs players. Talent was 5,6,7 on the list of priorities. That 1 offer made him the 2nd ranked player in the state of DE by most recruiting sources behind Roberts but ahead of Will Knight. Banks teammate from the year Howard won the state Trevon Bordrick probably top 10 or at least 15 in the state as far as talent that year. No scholly JUCO trip why grades.

And speaking of Knight why wasn't his stock offer greater I believe just about everyone would say he was the most "talented" player in the state. Answer size and speed nothing to do with talent.

This is something that happens everyday, every season, every year. So to say a kid with an offer is a lock more talented than a kid that does not; I'm sorry and don't mean to be rude but your credentials need to be revoked as a scout. That view is the exact reason kids are leaving their current HS and jumping from school to school to try and impress people like you to write and talk about them. Or get persuaded into paying hundreds of dollars to a scouting agency so they can get a scholly not knowing in many cases it hurts them more than help and they are wasting money.

Prep sometimes you are on point and others you say some of the dumbest stuff. You have kids all the time that are 1 good to great in HS talent but without offers due to three big components exposure, grades and/or size. Yes there are many schools that will go to bat with their administration for a under qualified PSA for school admittance but the kid(s) has to be worth it based upon the level of the school. But that has nothing to do with if the kids is a higher talent than another that does get an offer.

The first judgement of top level school's is mainly the eye test, if kid doesn't pass the eye test there needs to be some other factor to persuade the recruiter to look further into the kid (stats, wow factor, good word from reliable source). The second thing is grades because a college assistant main job security is his recruits and if he is bring in talented low grade kids that flunk or drop out within a year or two consistently then his job is short lived. Third is character for pretty much the exact reasons as number 2 character holds weight in a kid being recruited and getting an offer. Unless the talent and size can massively over shadow 2 and 3 the scholly is not offered.

Now maybe you are truly unable to see that because you are able to look through a cloudy lens but many coaches including myself no how it goes with trying to get an undersized, low grade bad attitude with mounds of talent PSA into school.

Lynch from AI is #1 wr on this list talented kid good grades and has proven on the field to have the talent. Currently holds 1 offer to a D2 school. Why just that? Size/Speed equation doesn't match he is about 5'10 and not very fast. Not many know about him.

Another example the other way, the CB from Howard last season has been widely criticize about not being a good as DB and consistently beat in coverage. Received a scholly to UCONN. Nice kid and able to progress with his goals but primary reason for getting his 1 and only offer. 6'1 195 good speed and 3.5+ GPA and UCONN severally needs players. Talent was 5,6,7 on the list of priorities. That 1 offer made him the 2nd ranked player in the state of DE by most recruiting sources behind Roberts but ahead of Will Knight. Banks teammate from the year Howard won the state Trevon Bordrick probably top 10 or at least 15 in the state as far as talent that year. No scholly JUCO trip why grades.

And speaking of Knight why wasn't his stock offer greater I believe just about everyone would say he was the most "talented" player in the state. Answer size and speed nothing to do with talent.

This is something that happens everyday, every season, every year. So to say a kid with an offer is a lock more talented than a kid that does not; I'm sorry and don't mean to be rude but your credentials need to be revoked as a scout. That view is the exact reason kids are leaving their current HS and jumping from school to school to try and impress people like you to write and talk about them. Or get persuaded into paying hundreds of dollars to a scouting agency so they can get a scholly not knowing in many cases it hurts them more than help and they are wasting money.

I agree with most of what you are saying. I have said these things over and over in regards to FBS offers regarding size. I have also said division one FBS players are born not made. Size speed and measurements are genetic. Most important is NOT eye test. It’s film from Friday nights, not 7 on 7 or any other form of Football being played year round.

I never have, and never do take money from anyone for recruiting help. I preach the opposite don’t pay for recruiting. I also preach stay home. Multiple athletes from your state asked about transferring. Every single one of them I advised to stay home. “Bloom where you are planted” I’m against all that. Only exception if it’s done prior to HS for academics reasons, or say a kid is a 4 or 5 star has already committed and wants to attend a national powerhouse to get prepared to compete at the next level. 99 percent of athletes would be better served just staying home.

We have a different view of the word Talent. The notion that a FBS school or any school offering 250k or more to a less talented football player is ludicrous. There are talented under sized kids in every state and every year who get FBS offers. From film. The problem is most High school coaches And HS athletes lack self awareness. They believe they are more talented then they are. Many HS coaches are not even up to speed on what many colleges are looking for from position to position.

Character!! Your absolutely right about this for many many coaches this is what they look for after talent, and before grades. However one of the things I hate about this entire process is if you have top 300 talent, you could be dumber then dirt, a terrible person, and you will get muiltple offers, and chances. It’s sickening honestly. The same coach who preaches character is offering a 4 or 5 star athlete who has a criminal record, and a 2.5 GPA. But your 2 or no star kid won’t get that same opportunity.

Talent trumps all, it’s not size , or height. If you can play they will find a way. However If you have a 5’10” left tackle nick Saban is not recruiting you.
Your argument would be that the 5’10” left tackle could have more talent hen the 6’6” left tackle say Nick Saban would recruit. Or a 5’6” 160 pound running back with 4.7 speed has could have more talent then say a 5’9” 220 back who runs 4.4 ? But they won’t get the offer? Really ?

So my question to you would be why would any college coach take a less talented player if their very job and livelihood depends on winning games? It’s just not true. Nothing and I mean nothing trumps talent. The NCAA minimum academic guildlines are set forth for a reason. All FBS scholarships offers are full rides. Outside of the FBS grades, and guardians income pay a bigger role in scholarships.

This is also important in regards to walk ons. Every year slighty above average players are given walk on spots camp kids because it cost the program nothing. Meaning their guardians have the financial means to foot 100 percent of the bill. Sometimes those kids pan out. Most of the time they don’t. But it cost them nothing. Call it a bet with no downside , it happens in every program.

Point is talent and film is what coaches offer. But HS athletes over estimate their talent often. HS coaches are very biased also. They often over estimate their kids talent, and they should. But honestly no school is offering scholarship money to a kid who has less talent because of a couple inches. If the shorter, or slightly slower kid is better then they will get opportunities. Don’t build in excuses for these kids. The best athletes get the money. That does not mean they can’t out work them later. Something non of us can measure yet is mental tuffness. That is what really separates kids at the next level.

There are college guidelines for prototypical size, speed, height, and strength for each position we all look at , They are guidelines. Something we all look for is how your frame is. Where you carry your weight. Your body composition. Are you high or low cut. A lot of The eye test we are doing when you visit campus is on the athletes parents. We have to project and your biological parents are a pretty good indicator. I often would ask mom if little Johnny was shaving yet. However we never are Just bringing big tall guys in. They are only looked at because of film. Big is not a skill. Neither is weight room strength. Most of the traits that make the the most explosive athlete your born with. However you must show it on the field. Will college coaches take a shot on a 4.3 40 kid, yes. But I’m telling you that talent trumps all. Film film film. Impact plays, we all itch for the twitch!!

Last edited:

Regarding Knight great talent yes. Probably one of the best RB ever to come out of Delaware agree. I remember one from Dover back in the late 90s who was real good also. Problem is again their are so many good running backs. The talent pool is so deep at that position across the country. So if all things are equal speed would obviously be a determining factor right ? Or frame ? Sometimes its fit. Or level of competition. A lot of really good Running backs in the country. He went to the perfect spot for his career.

Talent also does not increase because you change schools. Talent is your skill or natural aptitude to perform a task. Obviously your natural speed and size contributes to your talent. This can be shown regardless of where you play. I would argue talent is more genetic then learned in athletes. Hand eye coordination, the ability for your brain to process information or react to a stimuli. All talents you can not learn. And play a huge role in how good or bad you are at a sport

A good comparison for your guys discussion would be... Will Knight and Leddie Brown when both were together at Smyrna a couple years ago.. WK has better HS numbers (stats) but who was the better prospect/player?

WV coaches are real high on LB4 and he will likely get some playing time this year. I think WK will probably be red shirted at Old Do.. not that there is anything wrong with that just as a comparison of two athletes and their paths and where their size/talent lies

http://wvmetronews.com/2018/08/16/where-does-leddie-brown-fit-into-wvus-2018-plans/

really not much mention of Knight from Old Do press as of yet, not that much press comes out from there anyway.

Reactions: prepfootballstars
There was a good quote in that article that all RB's looking to play in college need to take note of and work on as early as possible. Spend more time working on pass pro drills than running with a ball through cones and around bags.

“Everybody can run the ball — you’re here because we know you can run it — so the pass protection is typically what separates you from a starting job,” Spavital said.

“There’s a physicality aspect of it because you’re in one-on-one battles with linebackers who are blitzing from depth. You have to be able to stick your nose in there and fight.”

Reactions: prepfootballstars
@SwagDog ... Hey, Swag , you seem knowledgeable, post your top 5 each position. Might be good for conversation... it’s just an opinion anyway.

Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Rivers
Wilson

Easy now prepstar.. its fightin words not having Wentz on the list round these parts.. take cover sir

maxresdefault.jpg

@SwagDog ... Hey, Swag , you seem knowledgeable, post your top 5 each position. Might be good for conversation... it’s just an opinion anyway.
I don’t know anything. I’m trying to learn from the guy who knows what’s going on with recruiting so I can get ahead of the game!

Prep...Without going long the best way to say this if you think that all scholarship offered players are more talented than no scholarship players you my friend as severely delusional. And if you think size doesn't matter again your delusional. You can have a 5'11 215 sr guard in high school with better skill and technique than a scholarship held 6'3 280 lb sr guard with okay feet poor hand place but a mean streak. And if you think that the 6'3 guard is more talented than the 5'11 kid you do not know talent because he isn't more talent his just bigger and stronger and coaches fill he is capable of being taught to be good.

I have spoken to a former Wake Forest defensive coach and that love a kid I coached and gave me the number a friend that needed a CB because his system and team philosophy required CB over 6'0. Direct quote was if your 6'0 NO!!!. I am friends with a few coaches that loved a kid I had at QB but knew their head coach wouldn't sign off because he was 5'10". Of course they would take him as a walkon but scholarship was no consideration. More Examples...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1649924-nick-sabans-secret-recruiting-recipe

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6403943

Also I never said you yourself was a person taking kids money but rather if your observation in talent is a one sided as saying a scholarship offered kids has absolute more talent than a non then your rankings one of the reasons why kids are doing all things like transfer and paying recruiting sites. I would implore you to become a little more informed especially if your profession is ranking this kids and if you have any invested interest in the state and feel against the things that are happening with these kids in regard to them reaching goals then beat the pavement and find these diamonds and help them with exposure through your outlet. I agree that the FBS kids in this state is pretty spot on but a friend and I just place 3 kids 2 FCS and 1 D2 kids in school a week before camp and the coaches have been in the state but never heard of them. Perhaps clarify what is talent to you. Talent criteria obviously changes by position so pick a position and give some outline because apparently I'm missing it.

When I’m asked What does it take to be a D1 scholarship player? I say just one D1 coach to think you are.

One thing about this list - it's got the board and other places talking. Ran into a colleague the other day and we spent a considerable amount of time talking about it. At the end of the day, it's one man's list who happens to cover sports for the state's largest paper. It wasn't meant with malice or disrespect, just his views.

I've been watching high school football in DE since 1992, played briefly in the late 90s and covered it as a journalist for over a decade here and in Maryland. Some guys pass the eye test, some guys don't and some guys are diamonds in the rough. Just gotta go with what your gut tells you when rating players.

Reactions: Bucsnot
Also I never said you yourself was a person taking kids money but rather if your observation in talent is a one sided as saying a scholarship offered kids has absolute more talent than a non then your rankings one of the reasons why kids are doing all things like transfer and paying recruiting sites. I would implore you to become a little more informed especially if your profession is ranking this kids and if you have any invested interest in the state and feel against the things that are happening with these kids in regard to them reaching goals then beat the pavement and find these diamonds and help them with exposure through your outlet. I agree that the FBS kids in this state is pretty spot on but a friend and I just place 3 kids 2 FCS and 1 D2 kids in school a week before camp and the coaches have been in the state but never heard of them. Perhaps clarify what is talent to you. Talent criteria obviously changes by position so pick a position and give some outline because apparently I'm missing it.

No vested interest. Was on the record saying I spent time in Delaware last year exclusively scouting two kids for a program who was interested. David Bowan and the OL Thomas. I got to see a bunch of undiscovered talent in the time I was their. I watched games all over. Ultimately neither athlete was offered by the school I was helping. Even tho I recommended both to be offered. I also passed my recommendation on about those athletes to multiple contacts. Ones who know me personally and ones who do not.

Also we use analytical data on the level of pro football focus in all of our evaluations. every single snap is evaluated. This along with traditional scouting metrics is how we keep bias to a minimum. It’s not just random opinion without some sort of facts. So even tho I personally could have a athlete rated higer the Analytics ratings we use could shuffle that order. Those things are based on production, beyond just stats to measure real game impact. For Better or worse this helps scouts evaluation so we can compare all positions across the board. In the end it’s just a tool to get a unbiased opinion. Ultimately some college use this kind of evaluation exclusively. Others may use parts of it. Some may not use it at all.

Your correct that certain schools have height and measurement guidelines for each position. Some today only use analytics. Some use a blend. Some just use the eye test. I believe your interpretation of the eye test seems to be skewed toward the physical height . Eye test is more ,, its the film ,, then the physical attributes. Analytics combine numbers could break the tie on recruits . Also there is a difference between as 6’5” slightly built linemen for example. And a 6’1” linemen with the thick body type and frame. There is reason measuring knee circumference is in vogue. Linebackers with slight frames are prone to injuries. Linemen with knee circumference on the smaller side are prone to knee injuries. You seem to focus just on height, and my friend that is just a very small part. Obviously again no one is offering a 5’5” center. However talent evaluators need to update their process when they are rankings players. You just can’t say today man he looks good. Feel me?

On the subject of offers representing talent. Yes it does again your hung up on height. Almost like someone told you at young age it was a problem. Weight is also not that big of a deal. I have plenty of kids we helped who were recruited but over weight and only offered after they lost weight. Mahogany the offensive linemen from New Jersey is one close to you who had to do this. Hunter Dubroc another one out of Louisiana did the same. It’s not about weight height. It’s how how explosive you are, what kind of athlete you are. How fast can you process information. Does all of this translate to the field in the form of production, impact plays. No one cares if you are tall and big and lift 400 or 900 if you can’t translate to the field.

In regards to kids transfering for rankings or whatever. Most athletes are discovered by college scouts before they are rated by the main sites. It’s not the other way around. Your state just lived through this with wormley. Was he a 4 star athlete before all those offers.? I seen his defenseive film two years ago before stepping foot in Delaware and knew he was a college ball player worthy of at least 3. So if kids are transferring for rating they have been adviced wrong. They need to get on the radar by attending Prospect camps starting early 8th grade. Then they must play well on the field get the grades and be a good teammate. In addition to this build a great relationship with their HS coaches by communication. Over communication is what they should be doing.

My only problem with you state as a whole is the lack of journalistic integrity towards the game. Clearly you have players listed on that 75 who only place because of back room deals. Friends helping friends. Not voting for kids because of hate towards other coaches. Clear mistakes have been made throughout. Your state is very small easy to evaluate most of the players objectively in about a three week time frame. It’s not something that can be done in one day. And sourceing opinions with no factual or statistical backing is just wrong. It’s just not a real process. If you don’t have time to do it correctly just put up a general list of players to watch. Do a bio story on each and leave it be.

So the people that have an issue with Brad Meyers rankings or his methodology for ranking did you even read the article? Or just the list? Clearly says in article this is not a list of top recruits, this is a list of who he believes is capable of having the greatest impact on a high school game this season.

Prep....When I mentioned to the eye test I was referencing an in person view of the PSA. Like a kid attending a prospect camp or coach attending a game, practice or in school visit. Maybe not enough detail as explained but I said that is one way of being noticed versus unnoticed. College football is a meat market. If you had to spend $20 on a steak would you buy a 16oz or a 8oz for $20. The same is true in recruiting. If a coach never saw two PSAs and the PSA attended a prospect camp and he is 6'1 215 playing lets say RB, LB. During drills coaches will pay a little more attention to watch his movements, explosiveness, etc then the kid who is 5'8 155 lbs. I never say the 5'8 kid would never be noticed I said the 6'1 kid would receive more attention because he pass the eye test.Of course there are a lot of other things and ways they kids get offers. I just mentioned a piece.

Now to your statements "On the subject of offers representing talent." and "Only thing I will disagree with. Offers are based on talent. So to say a kid who has a current offer has less talent then one that does not is not correct."

Yes that is not correct again that is dumb to say a kid with an offer is definitely more talented than a kid without is I can say it enough stupid and this goes on all levels. And to say that is not is asinine on so many levels especially when your long answers back my statement.

"Also there is a difference between as 6’5” slightly built linemen for example. And a 6’1” linemen with the thick body type and frame. There is reason measuring knee circumference is in vogue. Linebackers with slight frames are prone to injuries. Linemen with knee circumference on the smaller side are prone to knee injuries." This has nothing to do with talent but it is a measurement of how a kid gets an offer. A slight frame LB can be more talented but he is slight in frame and possibly prone to injuries so unless his talent outweighs the risk he may not get an offer, correct? But he is more talented than the thick LB with less talent.

"I have plenty of kids we helped who were recruited but over weight and only offered after they lost weight. Mahogany the offensive linemen from New Jersey is one close to you who had to do this. Hunter Dubroc another one out of Louisiana did the same." If the kid never loses the weight he may be more talented than the kid that did but he didn't get the offer because of weight not because the other kid is more talented.

This is my favorite "Was on the record saying I spent time in Delaware last year exclusively scouting two kids for a program who was interested. David Bowan and the OL Thomas. I got to see a bunch of undiscovered talent in the time I was their. I watched games all over. Ultimately neither athlete was offered by the school I was helping. Even tho I recommended both to be offered. I also passed my recommendation on about those athletes to multiple contacts. Ones who know me personally and ones who do not." You personally saw that these kids have talent. After the school you were scouting for decided not to pull the trigger you reached out to other people because the kids were talented enough to play at the next level. Not sure about Thomas but if I'm correct Bowman (extremely talented kid) did not get a D1 offer until Del State made a conscious effort to get in state kids late spring. Last year All State secondary included Gaynor, Grinnell, Bowman, Banks and of those 4 Bowman hands down was the most talented kid but Banks was the only one with a FBS offer and for a good while an offer period; however, according to you because he received the offer he was the most talent kid of that group when I believe even you analytics will say that he was probably 3 or 4 off last years performance.

Sorry guy I'm just stating facts an offer does not make you more talented than everyone else. In a lot of cases yes in every case as you say NO. An offer just means you ARE talented, you were noticed, you meet the teams needs and requirements and you did all the things necessary to obtain the offer. In a lo

Nice way to take the jab but I'm 6'3 and played college ball. I know and understand the process. The process is the process. Internet, social media, HUDL, the boom of prospect camps are helping the process for the unknown kids and a lot will never be know. It is what it is.

Reactions: Simmonj4618
The bottom line size/speed matters! The way FBS coaches think that if I miss on a 6'1'" 205lb running back that has decent speed the AD, boosters and sports writers could say he just didn't pan out. But if he misses on a 5'8" 175 RB who may be a little more talented they would say that our coach sucks even I could see said RB wouldn't work out. That goes same for a 6'3"-6'6" 285lb offense lineman veruse a 6'2" 250lb beast in HS.

Case in point when I saw Bowman working out and in a game his Jr. year I knew he wouldn't sniff a FBS offer, just didn't pass the eyeball test to small. Not taking anything away from him he was talented, a hard worker and just a great kid. Also I know for a fact that he went to numerous FBS camps and combines so it wasn't a case of being over looked. It just is what it is.....

Last edited:
Reactions: VoiceofReason247
The bottom line size/speed matters! The way FBS coaches think that if I miss on a 6'1'" 205lb running back that has decent speed the AD, boosters and sports writers could say he just didn't pan out. But if he misses on a 5'8" 175 RB who may be a little more talented they would say that our coach sucks even I could see said RB wouldn't work out. That goes same for a 6'3"-6'6" 285lb offense lineman veruse a 6'2" 250lb beast in HS.

Case in point when I saw Bowman working out and in a game his Jr. year I knew he wouldn't sniff a FBS offer, just didn't pass the eyeball test, too small. Not taking anything away from the kid he was talented, a hard worker and just a great kid. Also I know for a fact that he went to numerous FBS camps and combines so it wasn't a case of being over looked. It just is what it is.....

Exactly Simmonj and just because another has on offer doesn't mean he is more talented than all without offers. Obviously it is a big portion but there are times and situations where other variables outweigh talent.

Prep....When I mentioned to the eye test I was referencing an in person view of the PSA. Like a kid attending a prospect camp or coach attending a game, practice or in school visit. Maybe not enough detail as explained but I said that is one way of being noticed versus unnoticed. College football is a meat market. If you had to spend $20 on a steak would you buy a 16oz or a 8oz for $20. The same is true in recruiting. If a coach never saw two PSAs and the PSA attended a prospect camp and he is 6'1 215 playing lets say RB, LB. During drills coaches will pay a little more attention to watch his movements, explosiveness, etc then the kid who is 5'8 155 lbs. I never say the 5'8 kid would never be noticed I said the 6'1 kid would receive more attention because he pass the eye test.Of course there are a lot of other things and ways they kids get offers. I just mentioned a piece.

Now to your statements "On the subject of offers representing talent." and "Only thing I will disagree with. Offers are based on talent. So to say a kid who has a current offer has less talent then one that does not is not correct."

Yes that is not correct again that is dumb to say a kid with an offer is definitely more talented than a kid without is I can say it enough stupid and this goes on all levels. And to say that is not is asinine on so many levels especially when your long answers back my statement.

"Also there is a difference between as 6’5” slightly built linemen for example. And a 6’1” linemen with the thick body type and frame. There is reason measuring knee circumference is in vogue. Linebackers with slight frames are prone to injuries. Linemen with knee circumference on the smaller side are prone to knee injuries." This has nothing to do with talent but it is a measurement of how a kid gets an offer. A slight frame LB can be more talented but he is slight in frame and possibly prone to injuries so unless his talent outweighs the risk he may not get an offer, correct? But he is more talented than the thick LB with less talent.

"I have plenty of kids we helped who were recruited but over weight and only offered after they lost weight. Mahogany the offensive linemen from New Jersey is one close to you who had to do this. Hunter Dubroc another one out of Louisiana did the same." If the kid never loses the weight he may be more talented than the kid that did but he didn't get the offer because of weight not because the other kid is more talented.

This is my favorite "Was on the record saying I spent time in Delaware last year exclusively scouting two kids for a program who was interested. David Bowan and the OL Thomas. I got to see a bunch of undiscovered talent in the time I was their. I watched games all over. Ultimately neither athlete was offered by the school I was helping. Even tho I recommended both to be offered. I also passed my recommendation on about those athletes to multiple contacts. Ones who know me personally and ones who do not." You personally saw that these kids have talent. After the school you were scouting for decided not to pull the trigger you reached out to other people because the kids were talented enough to play at the next level. Not sure about Thomas but if I'm correct Bowman (extremely talented kid) did not get a D1 offer until Del State made a conscious effort to get in state kids late spring. Last year All State secondary included Gaynor, Grinnell, Bowman, Banks and of those 4 Bowman hands down was the most talented kid but Banks was the only one with a FBS offer and for a good while an offer period; however, according to you because he received the offer he was the most talent kid of that group when I believe even you analytics will say that he was probably 3 or 4 off last years performance.

Sorry guy I'm just stating facts an offer does not make you more talented than everyone else. In a lot of cases yes in every case as you say NO. An offer just means you ARE talented, you were noticed, you meet the teams needs and requirements and you did all the things necessary to obtain the offer. In a lo

Nice way to take the jab but I'm 6'3 and played college ball. I know and understand the process. The process is the process. Internet, social media, HUDL, the boom of prospect camps are helping the process for the unknown kids and a lot will never be know. It is what it is.

I could spend the time posting offered kids 2021 and 2020 kids who are well below what you believe are FBS standard height and weights. Including extreme examples like a 5’10” 220 pound class of 2020 Defensive linemen who just earned a offer to Northern Illinois. From camp performance. And great film. How is that possible? in your world it should not be. I also have a 2020 corner who only runs 4.6 40 who is 5’7” 150lbs with multiple FBS offers. How ? Because they are talented and performed well at camps plus had monster years on the field. Stop telling these kids they are to short or to slow. Giving them a reason to feel bitter. It’s only because they are not good enough. Nothing more.

When you sent me film of Wescot I had missed him completely. Do you know why? Because every week I watch hundreds of athletes film. 1000s in a year. Scouts at all colleges do this. If film is never sent how do they know the kid exists? I knew right away after watching the film he was a college ball player. This is why starting early competing at camps is vital. More so from your state. If they go to camp perform well enough they will get legit looks. If hey have a bad day then it’s over probably for that school. Remember each FBS school Only has about 20 offers on average each year. Athletes from all over the world are now competing for them. It’s not because they are to short it’s because someone else is better and has already been offered. That’s it.
You have to get film of your best athletes in the hands of colleges coaches. I’m talking hundreds of schools. Not just 5 or 10. There has never been so many great HS football players. Hudl makes it harder then ever for you to Stand out because of sheer volume. It’s not easier to get noticed rather harder then before. So if a coach doing it the same at you did 10 years ago that’s not helping. Enter the prospect camp. They want you to want them also. Most of the kids have to go compete. Not sit home and cry about being slept on or two short. Excuses man that’s all that is.

The bowman situation I’m well aware of. He was not offered by the mid major I was working with because of many factors. Reason they had a unspecified gray shirt recruiting problem at the last min. Including a verbal from a potential transfer they had wanted. It never was because of his height. The athletes they got were just as good or better. There are levels to this. Thomas committed to Georgetown they never told me why that offer never came. Most likely they found someone better. That’s Just it. Period no excuse. No eye test. No booster , or sports reporter opinion. Just they found someone better. That’s ok to say. It should not stop them from trying to work , and your perception of them not having the measurements should not stop you from promoting them. If you believe they are one of the best you have coached. Tell everyone you can.

Prep.. I'm not sure why but you seem to not fully read what I say and again seemingly attempt flaunt your knowledge by saying things I already know along with saying things I never said.

So to keep this short I never said a shorter player couldn't play at the highest college level. I never said a PSA would get a scholly just off and eye test. I have never sent you film. I have never told a kid they were too short or too slow to go after their dreams nor I have ever inflated a kid who didn't have the talent to get to where they dreamed of going.

Again my issue stems from when a person in your profession says "So to say a kid who has a current offer has less talent then one that does not is not correct" I'm absolutely, positively without a shadow of a doubt sure you have come across kids with FBS talent and NO offers because of attitude, grades or whatever. So for you to say that just is just absurd.

Just because A=Z and B=Y. You can not say A < or > B.

Football talent in recruiting is subjective based upon staff and program's scheme and philosophy. Also the placement of a program can sway what some may view as talent because one program may be a little more selective than another. You have variables like crazy when talking about recruiting and offers.

Prep.. I'm not sure why but you seem to not fully read what I say and again seemingly attempt flaunt your knowledge by saying things I already know along with saying things I never said.

So to keep this short I never said a shorter player couldn't play at the highest college level. I never said a PSA would get a scholly just off and eye test. I have never sent you film. I have never told a kid they were too short or too slow to go after their dreams nor I have ever inflated a kid who didn't have the talent to get to where they dreamed of going.

Again my issue stems from when a person in your profession says "So to say a kid who has a current offer has less talent then one that does not is not correct" I'm absolutely, positively without a shadow of a doubt sure you have come across kids with FBS talent and NO offers because of attitude, grades or whatever. So for you to say that just is just absurd.

Just because A=Z and B=Y. You can not say A < or > B.

Football talent in recruiting is subjective based upon staff and program's scheme and philosophy. Also the placement of a program can sway what some may view as talent because one program may be a little more selective than another. You have variables like crazy when talking about recruiting and offers.

I’m well aware of the variables. Don’t make excuses for the kids who believe they are being slept on. I believe the point was the list was wrong in the eyes of the athletes them selves. Examples of Kids with division one offers who were ranked 30 spots lower then ones without. With head to head film where they clearly got the best of the higher ranked player every play. That I believe was the point many of them had. Regarding your opinion on recruiting we have vastly different views. Hypothetically there could be a time traveler with super human strength on earth that could play ball better then anyone. So if your point is kids are missed sometimes I agree. But the reality is we have a system, and divisions of play. It’s widely accepted that division 1 college ball players are more talented over all then division 2 and 3. Just as it’s widely accepted NFL players are more talented then college players overall. There’s levels to this shit that have been clearly defined. So yes to kids with offers in high school are more talented then ones who don’t have them. EVERY TIME. That does not mean the no offer kid can’t become better walk on, late bloomer or whatever. But to say a 5’9” 220 pound guard with no offers is better or more talented then a 6’5” 300 offensive linemen with division one offers is false. If you honestly believe otherwise then I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m well aware of the variables. Don’t make excuses for the kids who believe they are being slept on. I believe the point was the list was wrong in the eyes of the athletes them selves. Examples of Kids with division one offers who were ranked 30 spots lower then ones without. With head to head film where they clearly got the best of the higher ranked player every play. That I believe was the point many of them had. Regarding your opinion on recruiting we have vastly different views. Hypothetically there could be a time traveler with super human strength on earth that could play ball better then anyone. So if your point is kids are missed sometimes I agree. But the reality is we have a system, and divisions of play. It’s widely accepted that division 1 college ball players are more talented over all then division 2 and 3. Just as it’s widely accepted NFL players are more talented then college players overall. There’s levels to this shit that have been clearly defined. So yes to kids with offers in high school are more talented then ones who don’t have them. EVERY TIME. That does not mean the no offer kid can’t become better walk on, late bloomer or whatever. But to say a 5’9” 220 pound guard with no offers is better or more talented then a 6’5” 300 offensive linemen with division one offers is false. If you honestly believe otherwise then I don’t know what to tell you.
You know, it just occurred to me that since I never went to college, I could probably try to walk on somewhere. I can run the 40 in 10 flat, plus I have a great attitude. Maybe Wesley is in my future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT