ADVERTISEMENT

top running backs? (team record aside)

Back to things that matter...... Will Knight has received an offer from Coastal Carolina, who will be joining the Sun Belt Conference. If he continues to progress physically and athletically between now and his senior year the way he did between sophomore and junior year, there will be others. No disrespect to Brown but give Knight due credit as well.

Back to things that matter...... Will Knight has received an offer from Coastal Carolina, who will be joining the Sun Belt Conference. If he continues to progress physically and athletically between now and his senior year the way he did between sophomore and junior year, there will be others. No disrespect to Brown but give Knight due credit as well.
I believe the subject was FBS offers,, Its great he has an offer and I love DE kids going next level for free ,, but keep it in perspective

Last edited:
True Story 2O14/15 New Years Eve RR2 thought it was a good idea to to teach RR3 who was a first year wrestler some moves,,, RR2 ended up in the ER with a torn rotator cuff the little f'er drove my old ass into the basement concrete

Last edited:
um duh..Knight.. at RB or WR but RR3 at LB its not comparable,,, RR3 completed OCS for the Marines this summer so there is that
So he wasn't good enough to play even d3? That sucks.

And I agree, not compatible at LB because Knight doesn't play defense. If he did thayeah he'd be much better

I agree with your point that Brown's offers are coming from bigger name schools in the power conferences and is a greater feather in the cap, but Coastal Carolina is transitioning into the Sun Belt and will be a full member for the 2018 season, thus also being an FBS team (albeit in a less respected conference).

So he wasn't good enough to play even d3? That sucks.

And I agree, not compatible at LB because Knight doesn't play defense. If he did thayeah he'd be much better
Oh he was good enough and had plenty of opportunity. he chose not to because he has other plans and values ... not by my choosing but his own,,Believe me I encouraged him to play because I didn't want it to end.. He got to the point where he felt he got all he could get from the game and moved on ,,I have accepted that and am more proud of him chasing his own dreams not mine. He is a man

Last edited:
TY SIR ,,, and I will.. I had no idea what he was getting into but OCS is no joke,,, I am not a military guy but but he chose to spend his freshman year summer doing that .. as a pop you have to be proud of that..he could have just chilled at the beach with the ladies.. which is what I would have done

Both are two of the best ball players in the state... No doubt ,, but one has D1 BCS offers and the other doesn't..its not a knock on either its just the way it is.. Brown is the bigger better player , Knight is a DE all-state caliber player

Knight will get plenty of FCS offers. Biggest difference is size. Brown is 6'1", Knight's 5'9"

Give love to Tatnall's Running back Ragland if he was running behind Sallies line he would be getting more attention

Give love to Tatnall's Running back Ragland if he was running behind Sallies line he would be getting more attention
Sallies line aint all that..you get attention going to the camps and combines ,, no coach is looking at DE schools for talent Coaches go to schools who play quality opponents

Reactions: Jawnsky
Sallies line aint all that..you get attention going to the camps and combines ,, no coach is looking at DE schools for talent Coaches go to schools who play quality opponents
you have to admit though Sallies line is a big upgrade from Tatnalls line , that Ragland kid is very quick and shifty

Reactions: papa44
I believe Cropper is an FCS level RB or a Mid-Level FBS RB. It's hard enough getting offers playing in Delaware. It makes it even harder when you don't play against the best teams in Delaware. Camps get you looks, but when college coaches are interested, they dig a little deeper and they find out the level of competition that you are playing.

If the top 3 backs named were playing teams like Friends, Conrad, Laurel, Red Lion, etc., they would be able to be a one man show and would win these games on their own. Cropper hasn't really even dominated at the Delaware High School level playing against these teams. FBS running backs don't get stopped by teams with 150-160 lbs. lineman and linebackers.

If the top 3 backs named were playing teams like Friends, Conrad, Laurel, Red Lion, etc., they would be able to be a one man show and would win these games on their own. Cropper hasn't really even dominated at the Delaware High School level playing against these teams. FBS running backs don't get stopped by teams with 150-160 lbs. lineman and linebackers.

Agreed that a back with FBS potential needs to dominate every opponent in Delaware. I have seen Cropper play several times and he can be dominant, but it also requires coaches putting him in a position to succeed and I am not sure that has been the case. IMO, he can be a solid FCS RB and would most likely play defense at a mid-level FBS. It will largely depend if he or is coaches can get his name out and if he has the ability to attend camps. Unless you are the top of the top, you aren't going to "just get noticed" and you have to force feed the college coaches with game film and information. Only time will tell.

Point of clarification, one of the teams you reference played in the D-2 Championship in last two years and one other has been a tourney semi-finalist the last two years and appears to be going back to the play-offs again. Some of the teams above aren't so good, but a couple of these teams you referenced aren't so bad either and have some decent athletes with very good coaching.

If he had been able to get into CA when he tried to transfer after his freshman year he would more than likely have been switched to WR probably play OLB as well

What ever happened to him and his week long transfer to Smyrna? Never heard the story as to why he came here to begin with or why he left after a week. Weird.

Agreed that a back with FBS potential needs to dominate every opponent in Delaware. I have seen Cropper play several times and he can be dominant, but it also requires coaches putting him in a position to succeed and I am not sure that has been the case. IMO, he can be a solid FCS RB and would most likely play defense at a mid-level FBS. It will largely depend if he or is coaches can get his name out and if he has the ability to attend camps. Unless you are the top of the top, you aren't going to "just get noticed" and you have to force feed the college coaches with game film and information. Only time will tell.

Point of clarification, one of the teams you reference played in the D-2 Championship in last two years and one other has been a tourney semi-finalist the last two years and appears to be going back to the play-offs again. Some of the teams above aren't so good, but a couple of these teams you referenced aren't so bad either and have some decent athletes with very good coaching.
I undertsand the reasoning behind what your saying and it is not a comment against any program in Delaware, but it is a reality check. Here is how it works, kids need to attend camps. More importantly top camps. There are two big invite only camps, which are The Nike Opening and the Under Armour 5 star. These two camps are invite only, but airfair, hotel, and food are completely paid for. Once they see you perform against the best of the best at one or both of these camps, they look at your 3-5 minute film and they research your school program and the level of talent you are playing against. One criteria they base your game film on is, are the players you are playing against potential FBS or FCS caliber players.

Over the past 10 years Delaware has produced a lot of talent, but most FBS coaches only know of your schools like Sallies, Middletown, Concord, Penn and Newark, because of a history of talent coming out of those schools. When they hear of a school they have never heard of, they ask do you play against those schools. Not even knowing one of those programs could have been down for years. The second hit is, when they watch the film and see less then 200 lbs players running around on the film, it's not very impressive to them.

I undertsand the reasoning behind what your saying and it is not a comment against any program in Delaware, but it is a reality check. Here is how it works, kids need to attend camps. More importantly top camps. There are two big invite only camps, which are The Nike Opening and the Under Armour 5 star. These two camps are invite only, but airfair, hotel, and food are completely paid for. Once they see you perform against the best of the best at one or both of these camps, they look at your 3-5 minute film and they research your school program and the level of talent you are playing against. One criteria they base your game film on is, are the players you are playing against potential FBS or FCS caliber players.

Over the past 10 years Delaware has produced a lot of talent, but most FBS coaches only know of your schools like Sallies, Middletown, Concord, Penn and Newark, because of a history of talent coming out of those schools. When they hear of a school they have never heard of, they ask do you play against those schools. Not even knowing one of those programs could have been down for years. The second hit is, when they watch the film and see less then 200 lbs players running around on the film, it's not very impressive to them.

Sorry. Completely agree. That is exactly my point. Guys like Cropper, he and his coaches, will need to lay of foundation and be proactive in contacting coaches. He is not going to get an invite to one of the big camps (these invites are for guys like Colby and Troy Reeder and the Robert's brothers). He will need to go to individual camps on campus and catch a coaches eye because he has played in Flight B.

Sorry. Completely agree. That is exactly my point. Guys like Cropper, he and his coaches, will need to lay of foundation and be proactive in contacting coaches. He is not going to get an invite to one of the big camps (these invites are for guys like Colby and Troy Reeder and the Robert's brothers). He will need to go to individual camps on campus and catch a coaches eye because he has played in Flight B.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Troy or Colby Reeder even received invites to these camps. That goes to show how hard it is to even get them. Opportunities to play Division 1 football is rare. The level of competition and high school program reputation make it easier to get that opportunity, but it is not the end all be all. Look at Brienne Boddy-Calhoun who is playing for the Cleveland Browns. He came out of Delcastle where his team won about 8 games in his 4 seasons there. He worked hard in Juco and earned a full ride to Minnesota. He had the talent to play big time football and it showed in his high school film against the top teams in Delaware. What's sad is he was always talented, but the team he was on slightly hurt him in his recruiting.

Also, being proactive isn't just on the coaches. It also takes the parents and players to advocate for themselves.

Reactions: Wolverine52
I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Troy or Colby Reeder even received invites to these camps. That goes to show how hard it is to even get them. Opportunities to play Division 1 football is rare. The level of competition and high school program reputation make it easier to get that opportunity, but it is not the end all be all. Look at Brienne Boddy-Calhoun who is playing for the Cleveland Browns. He came out of Delcastle where his team won about 8 games in his 4 seasons there. He worked hard in Juco and earned a full ride to Minnesota. He had the talent to play big time football and it showed in his high school film against the top teams in Delaware. What's sad is he was always talented, but the team he was on slightly hurt him in his recruiting.

Also, being proactive isn't just on the coaches. It also takes the parents and players to advocate for themselves.

100% agree.

Recruiting used have an old adage attached to it that "If you're a good player, they will find you..."
What I'm finding is that is far from the truth these days. They may have "heard" about you, but unless you are actively going to camps and showcases it will be tough to get a bite.

Parents, players, coaches should ALL be knocking down doors trying to get coaches film. Sometimes the difference is the coach has connections...knows a guy who knows a guy etc...

Donnie Zimmerman [Nat'l Preps] does a good job of showing off talent in our area. He is well respected among the college coaches, they trust his evaluations. His service is free to the kids (I believe), which is a far cry from the street-agent recruiting services that charge kids 100's of dollars to get recruited by West Texas Mormon University and Sister Mary and Joe's School for Kids Who Don't Read Well...

If you are a parent, coach or player you should definitely be proactive. Strength is in numbers (# of people working for the kid, # of people who see your film)

Reactions: A.I.Pride
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT