ADVERTISEMENT

Week 8 game predictions

DE-Sussex

Good all around Player
May 14, 2008
With all the threads about playoff predictions and rankings, I figured I'd throw something else out there for this week's games to chew on.

Appo v Concord - Concord picks up where it left off last week and rolls to 4TD win.

CR v Brandywine - CR looks to extend their winning streak to 3 games. At first glance I would expect CR to win this game given it is homecoming. However, each team played really close games with Appo with CR earning a 1 pt win and Brandwine losing by 2. Could be a nail biter.

DMA vs FSMA - running clock at the start of the 3rd quarter. DMA should pull all starters and look to stay healthy.

Caravel gets the FFT over Dickinson and gets to send coaches all over the place to scout first hand.

Dover v. Polytech - Polytech should get back in the win column after losing to Central last week. Poly sitting at 5-2 with Sussex Tech and Smyrna waiting in the wings has gotta have this one if they want a shot at the tournament. Dover can look to play spoiler at this point and it is Dover's homecoming if nothing else.

Glasgow v. Christiana - this one has the possibility of getting ugly. Perhaps the district admins will keep this one close. Final tuneup for Glasgow before taking on Caravel next week.

IR v. Milford - running clock by middle 3rd, Milford will keep it pretty basic as to not show too much for next week vs. Delmar.

McKean v. AI - AI gets out of their sluggish starts the past 2 weeks and scores early coasts to 4 td win.

Seaford v. Lake - this is an intriguing matchup. Lake comes in at 2-5 but their losses have all come to ranked opponents in Friends, Caravel, AI, Woodbridge, and Delmar. Seaford comes in at 3-3. Both teams have a 2 TD win over IR but Lake has closer losses to Delmar and Woodbridge than Seaford. I think Lake steals this one late.

Smyrna v Sussex Tech - I think Tech keeps it close perhaps in the 1Q, but Smyrna pours it on and wins 56-7.

Tatnall v Charter - Could be Charters chance for a win. Tatnall has had a long season.

Westminster v. Sallies - Sals take a trip to my old stomping grounds from college. Westminster and Carroll County schools in general tend to have big rosters so they've gotta have some talent. They can't pick and choose though like Sals. Better open the playbook up though if they want a W.

Woodbridge (6-1) v. St.Marks (5-2) - Huge playoff implications. Can St. Marks rebound from the DMA loss? St. Marks has gotta have this one if they have any hopes of making the playoffs considering that Sallies is still remaining on their schedule. Woodbridge has gotta take care of business with another huge game in week 10 versus Delmar. A Woodbridge loss stands D2 on its head and really jams up the point standings.

Laurel v. Delmar - Can you say Rivals? These schools separated by just a few miles in SW Sussex county have faced off in some big playoff games in years past. Delmar would appear to be the clear favorite here and should win easily. Laurel though plays a tough, physical style of football. Delmar should look to score quickly and get their starters out of the game. Laurel may tally a score or two late to make it appear close. Hopefully, Delmar doesn't get caught looking ahead to next weeks matchup with Milford.

Middletown v Newark - this one will be a laugher. years ago this would have been a heck of a matchup.

St.Georges v HVT - the two D1 newbies get to slug it out to see who might be around for the playoffs. Should be a heck of a game.

Delcastle v William Penn - Penn should get their JV guys some reps in this one.

St. E's v. Academy of New Church - St.E takes out the little sisters of the poor for homecoming.

Archmere vs. Red Lion - Archmere handles business. Running clock

Sussex Central (6-1) v. Cape (2-5) - talk about a Henlopen North rivalry. These 2 teams / schools just don't like each other whether it be on the football field, wrestling mat, basketball courts, baseball fields. Cape's season is over from a playoff perspective but they would like nothing more than to ruin Central's run for a playoff spot.

Friends v St. Andrews - this will be as ugly as Friends wishes to make it.

Tower Hill (6-1) V Conrad (6-1) - the SPL vs. DSC game of the week. both teams have nearly identical wins over Red Lion. Loser of this one could be out of playoff contention with a final big game on the schedule for each team in Friends for TH and DMA for Conrad in Week 10.

Howard (5-2) v. Mt. Pleasant (2-5) - Howard looks to remain focused on getting the Flight B crown and rolls by 4TD.

At this point in the season, I would assume Central is a lock for the playoffs. As well as Middletown, Hodgson, and Smyrna. The only bubble teams that could get passed by Penn with their easy remaining schedule is Caesar Rodney, Polytech, and Sallies.

Sallies SHOULD beat St. Marks easily. The Smyrna game is 50/50, so this weeks matchup against Westminster is the trap game. They are tough and very hard to defeat. As well as Sallies. I can easily see the Gents going 3 out of the remaining 3 games as easily as I can see them go 2 out of the 3 and that scenario, if the cards play right could eliminate sallies.

As much as Caravel is the one of the top deserving teams in D2 for a playoff spot, sallies is top 3 in D1. And a 6-4 record would worry me come point totals

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Going through that list though, Tower Hill/Conrad, Cape/Central, Woodbridge/STM, and Sals/Westminster are the key games to keep tuned into

Sals Certainly in a must win. They have proved in the past they can handle the "bus ride". I think this one comes down to the type of Bus and when it leaves. Couple of years back the had a nice coach, (bus), that took them out to Ohio a day early. They seemed to like that ride and handled that Stuebenville team

Couldn't agree more Eagle. This game might come down to the tire pressure on the bus. A bumpy ride might lead to, well, a bumpy ride type of game.

That Sals bus ride is a legit 1:45-2:00 on a good day with no traffic going down I-95, 695 outer loop, 795 & 140. Get in rush hour traffic with an accident and you could be sitting on a bus for 3 hours. I'm guessing the bus will be pulling out around 2:30 or so just as a precaution for traffic.

At this point in the season, I would assume Central is a lock for the playoffs. As well as Middletown, Hodgson, and Smyrna. The only bubble teams that could get passed by Penn with their easy remaining schedule is Caesar Rodney, Polytech, and Sallies.

Sallies SHOULD beat St. Marks easily. The Smyrna game is 50/50, so this weeks matchup against Westminster is the trap game. They are tough and very hard to defeat. As well as Sallies. I can easily see the Gents going 3 out of the remaining 3 games as easily as I can see them go 2 out of the 3 and that scenario, if the cards play right could eliminate sallies.

As much as Caravel is the one of the top deserving teams in D2 for a playoff spot, sallies is top 3 in D1. And a 6-4 record would worry me come point totals
When CR played Appo their senior QB Shane Phipps threw for 2 TD's and ran for another. Two weeks later he tore his ACL and Appo hasn't thrown a TD pass since. Kind of like two different teams as are Brandywine and CR.
Brandywine throws the ball about 67% of the time while CR runs the ball around 82% of the time and we will have the game on 302Sports for our Henlopen Conference Friday Night Game of the Week.

Reactions: 84rider
When CR played Appo their senior QB Shane Phipps threw for 2 TD's and ran for another. Two weeks later he tore his ACL and Appo hasn't thrown a TD pass since. Kind of like two different teams as are Brandywine and CR.
Brandywine throws the ball about 67% of the time while CR runs the ball around 82% of the time and we will have the game on 302Sports for our Henlopen Conference Friday Night Game of the Week.
Pardon me but could you please provide "key to the game" information. Who has the bus ride, bus color, parking, did the driver ever play?

Reactions: HammersWrestling
That Sals bus ride is a legit 1:45-2:00 on a good day with no traffic going down I-95, 695 outer loop, 795 & 140. Get in rush hour traffic with an accident and you could be sitting on a bus for 3 hours. I'm guessing the bus will be pulling out around 2:30 or so just as a precaution for traffic.
When Oakdale played at Cape Henlopen two years ago they made it an all day trip leaving Fredrick County as school began and arrived at the beach around 11:30am rented a pavilion at the state park ate lunch and did a walk through, then film and dinner before heading over to the school. I thought that was an impressive commitment to athletics by the school administration. Then again they play in the 3A west also known as the Wild West.
@eagle control the bus was a coach silver in color, parking was free and the driver stayed on the bus for the game because their was on and off rain.

Reactions: 84rider
Key To Sallies Victory is
When Oakdale played at Cape Henlopen two years ago they made it an all day trip leaving Fredrick County as school began and arrived at the beach around 11:30am rented a pavilion at the state park ate lunch and did a walk through, then film and dinner before heading over to the school. I thought that was an impressive commitment to athletics by the school administration. Then again they play in the 3A west also known as the Wild West.
@eagle control the bus was a coach silver in color, parking was free and the driver stayed on the bus for the game because their was on and off rain.
Thank you Sir

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT