ADVERTISEMENT

Why UD?

MLV must have the Rooster on ignore lol,,, Ive mentioned TGIF's. Bethany Blues, Greene Turtle and where to eat in Dover in this very thread lol.. lets just say I am food obsessed and it seems MLV hates food

Last edited:
Imagine 15+ years of wrestling tournaments and 5+ years of travel baseball with three boys in sometimes different states on the same weekend. Indianapolis for a week of wrestling, all over the east coast for baseball and wrestling. Football season is the only time I'm guaranteed to stay in-state. Championships in Newark...I'll take it!

@YJM
Yes...you and the Mrs. definitely deserve an award! For what it's worth, I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to follow your boys' success through the years. Great kids, great teammates, great family.

I could never get a total of how many state championships(individual and team) must be in the YJM household...and thankfully, there's a few more years to add to it!

Reactions: youjustme
Count your blessings. 2002 State Championship game between William Penn and Saint Marks was played at Seaford High School. The good ole' days!

Cheers,

Busch
I remember it well, there wasn't a suitable venue anywhere north due to an early substantial snow fall. The D2 game was played in Laurel. Back to the subject at hand.....Didn't DSU literally price themselves out of the games? I seem to remember hearing that.

I remember it well, there wasn't a suitable venue anywhere north due to an early substantial snow fall. The D2 game was played in Laurel. Back to the subject at hand.....Didn't DSU literally price themselves out of the games? I seem to remember hearing that.

Vert,

Let's just say during that time frame I was bit more focused on the game itself. Early and substantial snow is quite accurate. Lines painted ORANGE for the game at Seaford.

I personally wouldn't complain about any drive in DE. If DSU can't handle it from a logistic issue then they simply shouldn't be in discussion for hosting. I would have to imagine the UD still looks very empty though.

Cheers,

Busch

Only 2.5 hour trip for a wrestling tournament?? I don't miss those days. Hurrying to get there and hearing whistles blowing outside as we were walking in the gym hoping you didn't miss his first match after a long drive.
or leaving at 5am to get there on time and when do you find out your kid has 2 byes and first match wont be until noon lol.. (yeah I know weigh ins and all but damn)

Vert,

Let's just say during that time frame I was bit more focused on the game itself. Early and substantial snow is quite accurate. Lines painted ORANGE for the game at Seaford.

I personally wouldn't complain about any drive in DE. If DSU can't handle it from a logistic issue then they simply shouldn't be in discussion for hosting. I would have to imagine the UD still looks very empty though.

Cheers,

Busch

The teams were offered to postpone to the following weekend, but with snow in the forecast they decided to play them Sunday on whatever fields where available. Today they would postpone if the field was in the shape that these teams played on.

Reactions: Jawnsky and Busch08
And for Delmar fans....

It's a shame that there are not some sort of highlights available for all the title games.

MLV must have the Rooster on ignore lol,,, Ive mentioned TGIF's. Bethany Blues, Greene Turtle and where to eat in Dover in this very thread lol.. lets just say I am food obsessed and it seems MLV hates food
I doubt she has you on ignore. She's just busy getting ready for the big game!
3-Eagle+Heads.JPG

Reactions: ravensrooster2
The best statement about the upstate/downstate issue that I have ever heard was made by a former State Legislator; "no one in Sussex County has ever worked 51 weeks a year just so they could spend the 52nd week in New Castle county." Best of luck to all 4 teams Saturday. Would love to attend but family commitments have me out of town.

@myrealname
how did your nephews do wrestling in college? I remember at least one was on his way....
I sure that Tyrant t-shirt doesn't fit anymore....
hahahaaaa

Great facility and setting for a high school championship game. Unfortunately I won't be in town. Wish my Sals were in it.

The teams were offered to postpone to the following weekend, but with snow in the forecast they decided to play them Sunday on whatever fields where available. Today they would postpone if the field was in the shape that these teams played on.
Former St. Mark's quarterback Joe Wright was the offensive coordinator at St. Elizabeth this past season and is a new dad. The Colonials' J.T. Laws is an assistant at Caravel. I always like to see who ends up coaching.

By the way, the 1993 Division I championship between Salesianum and Seaford(!) was played at Caesar Rodney in a driving rainstorm. But snow is much cooler.

The best statement about the upstate/downstate issue that I have ever heard was made by a former State Legislator; "no one in Sussex County has ever worked 51 weeks a year just so they could spend the 52nd week in New Castle county." Best of luck to all 4 teams Saturday. Would love to attend but family commitments have me out of town.

At least we have hills in NCC

Former St. Mark's quarterback Joe Wright was the offensive coordinator at St. Elizabeth this past season and is a new dad. The Colonials' J.T. Laws is an assistant at Caravel. I always like to see who ends up coaching.

By the way, the 1993 Division I championship between Salesianum and Seaford(!) was played at Caesar Rodney in a driving rainstorm. But snow is much cooler.

J.T. Laws was all over the field in that game.

Joe Wright is a great dude, heard he has put his name in the hat for the St. Elizabeth's HC job.

Cheers,

Busch

Reactions: Porky Bacon
And without a doubt I know who said it. I've heard him say it many many times.

You know, more than a few people down here in Sussex County asked me if the championship game was at DSU again this year. I explained that it was up at UD and had been for a couple of years. So basically, there will be no casual representation from Sussex County at UD for the D-2 Championship Game. It is a shame that the DIAA has placed this event 65 miles from the stadium of the top seed in D-2. This needs to end, the game needs to be at DSU. If not, it should be held at the home stadium of the highest seed. After all, if Saint Georges is good enough to host a semi-final game, why isn't a top flight facility like Woodbridge allowed to host the final?
A high school facility will never again be equipped to accommodate a DI game. Not hanging around for the DII game but my belief is that crowd will be much leaner but still too much for a high school facility.
https://i.imgsafe.org/335da98116.jpg

As a DSU alum (and someone who covered Middletown's win over Newark in the DI title game a few years ago at Alumni Stadium), let's just say UD is definitely the best spot for the football championships from a seating and available bathrooms standpoint.

UD has long had the best available facilities across all sports and until UD football becomes a contender again, that's where the games should be. It's a long drive for downstate teams, but after tonight, I can guarantee you those Woodbridge kids are having the best two hour ride of their lives.

Also off-topic, but HCS mentioned the basketball tournament at UD. A few years ago, Delaware State asked for state funds to help build an arena on campus, somewhere along the lines of 9-12,000 seats. Everyone laughed at them, but the idea was great. Dover could have been the host of the basketball tournament with double the capacity of the Bob Carpenter Center, and the arena could have hosted concerts, minor-league hockey and other events. Too bad it never went anywhere.

It never went anywhere because UD would have a FIT if DSU ever caught up to or surpassed them in terms of facilities. The budget disparity also makes it pretty much impossible - UD gets over 100 million from the state each year while DSU is lucky to get 25-30 million.

As a DSU alum (and someone who covered Middletown's win over Newark in the DI title game a few years ago at Alumni Stadium), let's just say UD is definitely the best spot for the football championships from a seating and available bathrooms standpoint.

As a fat dude and someone who used to have to cover football championship games before leaving journalism, let's just say that unless they put an elevator to the press box in recently, UD sucks.

Reactions: Ikeyfbst2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT