ADVERTISEMENT

I was a spectator at this match..I couldn't hear what was said- I did see a shove as he got up though, certainly didn't seem like it warranted a sucker punch to the back of the head but again, I don't know what was said. I'm not sure what is going on down at Cape, and whether or not these issues revolve around this one individual but it certainly gives the entire program a bad reputation.. On a side note, I'm sure it's hard to watch your child go through a scenario such as this, but if I'm not mistaken I believe the only person allowed to run on the mat in the event of a fight is the head coaches- correct? All others are suppose to be ejected, I thought anyways?

I'm not sure about ejection rules, I'm still a fairly new fan of the sport. But in the short period of time I've been following, I've seen multiple incidents involving Caruso.

Reactions: myrealname
Where to begin. It was allowed when the coaches kid acted like that a few years back, so not sure cape can complain about it when it goes against them. Not once or twice either. As for Caruso, there has to be a reason it always happens with him. Cape has other excellent wrestlers who go wrestle and win without these reactions. Kids should never be allowed to punch another kid especially in the back of the head in a sport where concussions are a problem. I've been told only the head coach can go out to break up a fight. Dad's being out there can not be tolerated. It's always a circus when central is involved and has been for years.

I believe SCfan is referring to it not only being an issue with Caruso, rather with the entire cape team.

Ok. Central didn't lose 3 points, 3 points were added to Cape for the flagrant.

I believe SCfan is referring to it not only being an issue with Caruso, rather with the entire cape team.
I'm not saying it's the entire Cape team because I know for a fact it's not. There was a kid everyone watched out for last year that graduated that was a bit over the top. There is another but I am not going to mention his name........There is more of that kind of wrestling going at Cape than anywhere else that I have witnessed.

Reactions: MatMiracle
You apparently haven't been a central fan for long if you think the Cape kids are that bad. I'm not saying I approve of kids shoving or talking trash to an opposing wrestler, but I'd say a punch to the head was the poorest display of sportsmanship in that gymnasium last night. Is that fair?

I will be the first to admit I like my wrestling matches with a little extra excitement. I'm not opposed to a little jawing or getting a little chippy during a match. Theses are kids. I personally draw the line at the extra physical contact. I'm not a fan of the pushing down on opponents when a break is called or after a match. The punch that was thrown has no place at a wrestling match. That is not a question. And if a racial slur then that should be dealt with as well.

I agree with you on all of those opinions. I absolutely hate the pushing after a break. I really do not know what was said and if it was a racial slur he should be thrown off. I just find that hard to believe.

At the end of the day, these are KIDS we are talking about. I know I did a ton of stupid shit as a kid, and my parents or coaches responded and dealt with it appropriately and in a manner that made damn sure I didn't repeat the action. I think most of us can agree that while the kids should be held accountable, so should the coaches and parents of these wrestlers. Why are they okay with this behavior on the mat? And if they aren't- what have they done or what are they doing to correct it.

Reactions: 84rider
I think most of us can agree that while the kids should be held accountable, so should the coaches and parents of these wrestlers. Why are they okay with this behavior on the mat? And if they aren't- what have they done or what are they doing to correct it.

Yes yes yes!

I think people are missing the biggest point, I understand matches can get chippy and kids may shove each other. But a racial slur was used, I don't care if he's young and stupid, that part isn't acceptable

so, in my opinion, saying something and punching someone are worlds apart in value. if a racial slur was used and i say if, because only the wrestlers know that. but lets not excuse a punch to the head for any reason, nor equate words with punches no matter how distasteful.

Reactions: 84rider
so, in my opinion, saying something and punching someone are worlds apart in value. if a racial slur was used and i say if, because only the wrestlers know that. but lets not excuse a punch to the head for any reason, nor equate words with punches no matter how distasteful.
Nope, I do not agree. If a racial slur was used, you cannot talk smack and turn your back, like it's a soap opera. It stopped being about wrestling and sportsmanship if he said a "racial slur." I guarantee he won't do that again...LESSON LEARNED!

I think it’s pointless to keep associating this kid with a racial slur, nobody except the two wrestlers know what was said, as I said in a earlier post, we as adults need to be careful of labeling someone based on hearsay. For a punch to be thrown, something was obviously said but who knows , what we as adults may brush off, isn’t always true for a teenager. By the way I have been called racially infused names before and as an adult, I no longer react the way I reacted when I was a high school student.

Last edited:
Ok. Central didn't lose 3 points, 3 points were added to Cape for the flagrant.
Points should never be added to a team score due to an infraction...always subtracted. A flagrant misconduct, such as punch, should result in contestant being disqualified and removed from the premises. Three points should then be deducted from the score of the offending wrestler's team point total.

Last edited:
Reactions: concord87
1) Being called a racial slur is no excuse to throw a punch. 2) If a wrestler continues to be involved in "incidences" in which there are no consequences, where is the incentive to be more responsible in their behavior? 3) The official was close enough to be able to corroborate what was said.

Last edited:
Reactions: wtc76 and concord87
This kid is out of control and it’s been on display for a few years. The coaches have done nothing to address it and it seems as if his parents don’t mind his behavior either. No class at all! If they would have addressed his behavior, he wouldn’t have gotten punched.

Points should never be added to a team score due to an infraction...always subtracted. A flagrant misconduct, such as punch, should result in contestant being disqualified and removed from the premises. Three points should then be deducted from the score of the offending wrestler's team point total.
We all said the exact same thing. It was 24-0 going into that match. After the dust settled it was 24-9.

What ever happened to “sticks and stones wil break my bones but words can never hurt me”?

I think it’s been replaced with “words and slurs disrespect me so I’ll bust a cap in your ass”

People care way too much what other people say or think these days. I know it’s a little off topic to some degree but I was brought up to do right and not care what folks think or say about me. Call me whatever slur you want. Who cares? By reacting you validate the idiots accusations or slurs

Reactions: soccer07
The punch was garbage. Never hit someone in the back of the head like that, could have really hurt him.

However, assuming a slur was used, I wouldn’t advocate it but also wouldn’t judge the SC kid too much if he instead threw a punch to his face while he was looking. There’s no place for that shit in a civilized society.

I wonder where the parents are and what they’re doing about this son of theirs. He’s established a strong reputation as a total punk but based on past behavior his trajectory doesn’t look too promising. Someone needs to step in and do something, if not the parents then the coaches

No matter what was said. What’s sad is someone felt the need to respond with physical violence based on words. It’s just words

It wasn't just words, he stood over an opponent that he had just beaten and shoved down on his chest and said those words. I think Caruso's actions were an obvious attempt to humiliate a defeated opponent. *That* has no place in a combat sport. I emphasize 'combat sport' because what we do in wrestling is put in place certain expectations of behavior in order to temper the emotion and aggression of individual combat.

Without *everyone* abiding by these civilizing standards, including not humiliating a downed opponent, the sport would lose that tempering and the participants' baser aggression returns. We do not taunt wrestling opponents for just that reason - it is, at its root, a civilized individual fight and removing the civilizing rules returns it to simply a fight.

Punking and humiliating an opponent who is abiding by those rules in good faith that the other man will do the same, if left unpunished by the officials, will lead to more events like this.

so it is definitely fact about racial slur? if someone uses a word i don’t like to insult me and i attack them i get ARRESTED, i guess while i’m sitting in jail i could be proud i “kept it real”.

Reactions: breakem
so it is definitely fact about racial slur? if someone uses a word i don’t like to insult me and i attack them i get ARRESTED, i guess while i’m sitting in jail i could be proud i “kept it real”.

I don’t know but what other type of slur is there?

I guess you never got in any fights as a young man. I had my share and none were over anything as insulting as someone referring to me with a slur. And to be clear I’m not saying kids should fight every time they are offended. I’m saying kids fight all the time for dumb reasons and compared to fighting over a girl this was a good reason.

I’m also sure you’re the type of redneck dad that tells his (white) kid to stand up for himself yet when a different kid (not white) does it you mock it as “keeping it real”

In my opinion, if there was some type of comment made before the altercation, I would think Buckson [the Ref] would have heard it since he too was down on the mat due to the pin. And if that is the case, Buckson also works in the Dept of Ed. And would be required to report a racial comment. With that being said, nobody will ever know for sure so what is the point of a thread solely created to bash on a minor, even using his name as the subject. It definitely is not setting an example and cannot change what happened. Have a problem with a wrestler, be an adult and report it through proper channels.

If this were just an individual event, I would be inclined to give Caruso the benefit of the doubt here. But I have witnessed Caruso in the past display abismal sportsmanship. The event I'm speaking of is the semifinals last year at states. In his match with Hayes after Caruso put him to his back he was looking at the CR coaches and clearly taunting them. That event coupled with this event gives me the impression that this kid has a complete attitude problem and zero respect for the sport or his opponent. He most likely deserved at least a punch to the head. Not that Saffold shouldn't be punished, but it was likely warranted.

I don’t know but what other type of slur is there?

I guess you never got in any fights as a young man. I had my share and none were over anything as insulting as someone referring to me with a slur. And to be clear I’m not saying kids should fight every time they are offended. I’m saying kids fight all the time for dumb reasons and compared to fighting over a girl this was a good reason.

I’m also sure you’re the type of redneck dad that tells his (white) kid to stand up for himself yet when a different kid (not white) does it you mock it as “keeping it real”
i am white so you got that much right. i never got in any fights as a young man? lol, i got in a ton of fights but that never meant it was warranted. just tired of seeing morons like you who play the race card without evidence. Caruso may have acted like a jerk, but racial slur is just pure troll speculation....troll=you just so you know.

@2retsoorlil I'd probably smile at the coach who tried to make me ineligible for the state tournament too while pinning his kid...just saying.
He did more than smile. Is that the lesson we teach kids? It is ok too act with poor sportsmanship as long as we feel the person deserves it?

@2retsoorlil I'd probably smile at the coach who tried to make me ineligible for the state tournament too while pinning his kid...just saying.
5swipes- What are you referring to? Bottom line, and based off how most people in this thread feel- this kind of behavior is not and should not be tolerated in our sport. And I place the blame on the coaching staff, personally. Delaware has a great tradition of wrestling, and while this kind of drama may make things interesting- I'd hate to see our sport transform into the WWF

This Caruso kid is a class A competitor. The former state champ treats all of his opponents with the utmost respect, this kid is the definition of class. The kid who accused him of using a racial slur just copped out, trying to find a way to defend his punch on Caruso. I know Caruso isn't perfect, I've seen some of his matches, but sucker punching someone in the back of the head is classless and does not belong in highschool sports, or any level of sports for that matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT